RMBVA

RMBVA (http://rmbva.com/index.php)
-   Battle Video Archives (http://rmbva.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who's impressive to you? (http://rmbva.com/showthread.php?t=25105)

LukeWaltonisGoat 05-09-2016 02:04 AM

Who's impressive to you?

Lately I've been seeing so many guys that punch or do name flips where I literally sit there and say I think I really could have thought of that...

It's rare that you see a battler who doesn't take predictable angles or use the current event punches.. (I'm sure we will be hearing some prince bars or some take the heat out like Whiteside bars soon)

Who really says shit that your like man I really couldn't think of that and name some impressive bars that you know you couldn't think of..

For me I really think Big T is really unique and has some shit I know I could never think of.

Who's yours?

god level 05-09-2016 02:51 AM

Diggy Splash
Spyder Murphy
Tiger Ty

riffic 05-09-2016 04:02 AM

I think Rum Nitty is amazing

iamHBY 05-09-2016 04:29 AM

I'd say guys like Rum Nitty, Lu Cipher, Carter Deems or Troy Brown fall into that category.

riffic 05-09-2016 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamHBY (Post 659456)
I'd say guys like Rum Nitty, Lu Cipher, Carter Deems or Troy Brown fall into that category.

Yeah, co-sign all of these

Ampersand 05-09-2016 04:30 AM

As far as being a creative writer ...

J Dose , Fresco , Danja Zone,Troy Brown , Reverse Live ...Thesaurus and Verb when they are on their shit .

* Oh shit I forgot the best of the best QP . His 3rd vs Remy was insane .

** Double edit . @illipsis deserves some shine in this thread as well

culturedboy 05-09-2016 05:03 AM

rum nitty's consistency

mike p's ability to run a crowd

gjonaj's obscure reference game

danny myers' dedication

dizaster's trash bar game

the saurus, period

tink da demon's flow

b dot's ability to come into the game so quick

riffic 05-09-2016 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culturedboy (Post 659467)
gjonaj's obscure reference game

the highest selling book in the history of books?

Dear Diary 05-09-2016 07:06 AM

Illmac

Anti 05-09-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riffic (Post 659473)

You've got a point but I get where @culturedboy is coming from. Think of it in terms of cultural osmosis; nobody really does the biblical reference thing as a schtick while everyone references The Wire, basketball, etc. In definitely appears obscure, even though, like you pointed out, it's not exactly hush text.

I'm impressed by guys like Hitman Holla, Pat Stay and Mike P, and it's for their ability to be silent. Examples:

Hitman: "I ain't even rhymed yet" (vs JJDD).
Pat: His signature "orchestrator" gesture.
Mike: "Dog skate in the crib" (vs Tink Da Demon)

I don't notice a battle rap crowd standing completely silent for a battler particularly often but these guys pull it off, and imo it adds so much extra weight to a punch.

Also impressed by guys like B-Magic and E-Ness, and Ness Lee to a, no disrespect, lesser extent who rap. I'm not really seasoned enough to say but it definitely feels like battlers started refining the bars and stopped refining their actual ability to rap.

I'm genuinely impressed by guys like @ErikForeman, @Dank Schrader, @Prelec and @Nick Vayne too. I will happily spew my opinions on battle rap but I've no plans to actually jump in the pit. I admire that these guys have / did.

Rapsin 05-09-2016 08:42 AM

Con based on how far he went based off Battle Rap

Hitman Holla & K-Shine for performances, too good. Shine needs to get back in his perfect form.

Also some others already mentioned.

Anti 05-09-2016 09:29 AM

Also Hollow Da Don in general. The casual GOAT.

Dank Schrader 05-09-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti (Post 659505)
I'm genuinely impressed by guys like @ErikForeman, @Dank Schrader, @Prelec and @Nick Vayne too. I will happily spew my opinions on battle rap but I've no plans to actually jump in the pit. I admire that these guys have / did.

Respect bro! I felt the same for the longest time but once I finally got up that courage to get in the ring now I don't wanna be anywhere else.

As for me lately I'm impressed by

E Farrell, shox, cojay, shuffle, bobby rex. And since forever I've been a huge fan of fresco, sarus, Frankie phraser and soul.

Abstrakt 05-09-2016 10:15 AM

loaded lux

youdontwannabethatguy 05-09-2016 10:18 AM

B magic cause i couldn't come up with that many punches for that battle and wish i could flow 1/10 of how well he does , passwurdz also. Basically the guys that rap really well cause i basically cant.

Prelec 05-09-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Yoo thanks dude, like Dank said I finally got the courage to get up on that stage and right now I'm really close to battle on the main stage. My first real battle last week was a lot of fun so I hope they let me do this more often.

:party:

05-09-2016 06:26 PM

lux
verb
gjonaj
illmac
thesaurus
mike p
fresco
qp
illipsis
soul

to a lesser extent, magic, day, and surf also just through the density of their content if not the source of their content

The Kurgan 05-09-2016 07:06 PM

Eh those that really impress me aren't always necessarily my favourites. I think what I admire more than anything in battle rap is a unique approach, that can't really be 'learnt'.

Guys like Qleen Paper, E-Ness, Ogmios, Calcium Kid, Oshea, Lux, ICE, or (the low-key GOAT) Lee Scott. You can tell they haven't come into this by studying clashes and taking notes; they've came into this AS rappers, rather than would be battlers.

I mean, you could maybe say the same about the likes of Michael White, Uno Lavoz & No Emotion Goldmask too, but I think the difference is, they lack very basic things like bar structure, rapping ability, self-awareness, sincerity and dignity, so any uniqueness they do have just falls apart, and any originality feels like a crutch rather than a blessing.

The likes of Soul, Pesci, Fresco & Magic are some of my favourites period, but their writing is good in a more conventional way, and weirdly it feels like there's less to admire for that reason. Still love em though.

I'm also a sucker for well executed concept rounds (or cool concepts in general). Shufflo (both solo & as a team) & Ogmios do these brilliantly. Illmac's 3rd vs K caught some flack, but I rated it. Math & Cortez's 2 on 2 is another good one. Hollow doesn't do concept rounds per say, but there are really unique, creative moments and schemes in his battles that add a lot to his GOATness (the predict that and TMing the slogan against Clips for example). Hitman is pretty amazing at it as well, the way he always manages to suprass himself with remix and build on the last one is great. Crisp concepts are also what elevate Tone Montana above any other PG rapper (his gun/family schemes are GODLIKE. Even something like Big-T's onomatopoeia stuff; it might be simple, but it's fun, different, and it helps set him apart.

Storytelling is also one of the hardest things to do WELL in battlerap IMO (often a lot of overlap with concept rounds); some of the most painful rounds in recent memory stem from failed attempts to string together a narrative (Caustic vs K, LMS vs Voss & Wob Wilson vs Innuendo for example). But the likes of Remy-D, Pat Stay, @Coma, T-Top, and even Oshea & Hitman (again) can do it really well, pace it properly, and have the whole room hanging on to every word. Some of the greatest moments in battle rap, to me, hinge on storytelling, because there's a pace you can set and a momentum (and pay off) you can create that eclipses any singular punchline.

I mean, there's TONS to admire at the top of battle rap, way more than what I've wrote but yeah, that stuff what I admire most I suppose because it takes skills we don't usually see in battle rap as a whole, and I know I could never do it.

Oh and good freestyling!

Sorry for the essay

05-09-2016 08:06 PM

Good call on tone and qleen, two of my all time favorites and i still hope they battle someday - could be the most uniquely entertaining battle of all time

Gopher D'Gusto 05-09-2016 08:36 PM

I've said it for years, and I'll say it again:

@Ness Lee is the most impressive rapper, skill wise, in battle rap. Guy makes it look so god damn effortless, yet simultaneously makes you realize you could never duplicate his style because it's impossible.

Ampersand 05-09-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher D'Gusto (Post 659690)

@Ness Lee is the most impressive rapper, skill wise, in battle rap. Guy makes it look so god damn effortless, yet simultaneously makes you realize you could never duplicate his style because it's impossible.

Good call don't know how I forgot Ness . I have never been as hyped for a battle as I am for the battle of Ness'es .

I am LIL ILL 05-09-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat (Post 659434)
Lately I've been seeing so many guys that punch or do name flips where I literally sit there and say I think I really could have thought of that...

It's rare that you see a battler who doesn't take predictable angles or use the current event punches.. (I'm sure we will be hearing some prince bars or some take the heat out like Whiteside bars soon)

Who really says shit that your like man I really couldn't think of that and name some impressive bars that you know you couldn't think of..

For me I really think Big T is really unique and has some shit I know I could never think of.

Who's yours?

I show people videos of some impressive cats and Me and Them think that Dizaster and Illmac do the type of rap that no one can replicate. It's the speed they rhyming at that makes it hard for you to keep up and try not to miss the other bar meanings.

ErikForeman 05-10-2016 01:55 AM

Quote:

You've got a point but I get where @culturedboy is coming from. Think of it in terms of cultural osmosis; nobody really does the biblical reference thing as a schtick while everyone references The Wire, basketball, etc. In definitely appears obscure, even though, like you pointed out, it's not exactly hush text.

I'm impressed by guys like Hitman Holla, Pat Stay and Mike P, and it's for their ability to be silent. Examples:

Hitman: "I ain't even rhymed yet" (vs JJDD).
Pat: His signature "orchestrator" gesture.
Mike: "Dog skate in the crib" (vs Tink Da Demon)

I don't notice a battle rap crowd standing completely silent for a battler particularly often but these guys pull it off, and imo it adds so much extra weight to a punch.

Also impressed by guys like B-Magic and E-Ness, and Ness Lee to a, no disrespect, lesser extent who rap. I'm not really seasoned enough to say but it definitely feels like battlers started refining the bars and stopped refining their actual ability to rap.

definitely appreciate that a lot

culturedboy 05-10-2016 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riffic (Post 659473)

you're marcus latimore too

like who the fuck thinks of that

it's not in any way GOOD but it's impressive

05-10-2016 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culturedboy (Post 659851)
you're marcus latimore too

like who the fuck thinks of that

it's not in any way GOOD but it's impressive

i thought it was good :(

culturedboy 05-10-2016 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulatto mutant (Post 659857)
i thought it was good :(

i love u mulatto

Ness Lee 05-10-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher D'Gusto (Post 659690)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand (Post 659736)
Good call don't know how I forgot Ness . I have never been as hyped for a battle as I am for the battle of Ness'es .

much appreciated man. both of you