RMBVA

RMBVA (http://rmbva.com/index.php)
-   Battle Video Archives (http://rmbva.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When did battle rap jump the shark for you? (http://rmbva.com/showthread.php?t=27705)

Abstrakt 04-04-2017 12:05 PM

When did battle rap jump the shark for you?

If it did at all... if you don't think it has, when do you think it will.

I became a lot less interested in battle rap in January of 2014 I think when lux battled hollow. I think BR peaked in 2012 but 2014 def had one of the greatest battles of all time.

Nowadays, battle rap just doesn't do it for me....

Verb, lux, hollow, math, magic, bigg k, calicoe, qleen and many others were interesting to me but these new cats who are considered "good" are boring with no flow.

Mike P stinks
Anyone who raps like him stinks

lukej 04-04-2017 12:23 PM

Didn't know "jump the shark" was a phrase, and if so, it's a fucking terrible one.

Really hate this whole "battle rap fell off" bullshit.

"It's been falling off since 2012"

No, it hasn't.

You're just nostalgic.

Shut up.

lukej 04-04-2017 12:23 PM

And Mike P is trash.

Scartown 04-04-2017 12:24 PM

Without pinpointing a specific date.....

When the heavy wordplay shit started happening.
Don't get me wrong, certain guys are awesome at it, qp is amazing at what he does but it evolved into something so cringy it became unbearable.

Hearing dna do a round about vegetables or arcane compare someone to Tim Hortons is just too much

lukej 04-04-2017 12:24 PM

To help out OP, some dope "newer" (last few years) guys I fuck with:

A.Ward
Shotti P
Twork
Ryda
Jakkboy
T-Top
Brizz

I could go on, but for all I know, you don't fuck with these people for whatever reason.

lukej 04-04-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scartown (Post 721606)
Without pinpointing a specific date.....

When the heavy wordplay shit started happening.
Don't get me wrong, certain guys are awesome at it, qp is amazing at what he does but it evolved into something so cringy it became unbearable.

Hearing dna do a round about vegetables or arcane compare someone to Tim Hortons is just too much

Agree, but there are so many people who don't do that.

What's hilarious is that most of those guys all do the heavy wordplay shit and it never gets them anywhere, lmfao.

You'd think that people would adopt a style to actually get somewhere.

lukej 04-04-2017 12:26 PM

Also, people really say "jump the shark"?

For real?

VAallDAY 04-04-2017 12:29 PM

battle rap died when dizaster got bodied by cassidy...

why would anyone care about this artform when an industry rapper can just waltz in and completely embarass one of the top dogs of this shit using 2003 bars??

Scartown 04-04-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukej (Post 721608)
Agree, but there are so many people who don't do that.

What's hilarious is that most of those guys all do the heavy wordplay shit and it never gets them anywhere, lmfao.

You'd think that people would adopt a style to actually get somewhere.

True shit.
Especially the going nowhere shit. It's like guys are opening a dictionary at a random point and seeing how it can relate to a battle.

Also this is the first time I've heard jump shark, how the fuck do you jump a shark?

youdontwannabethatguy 04-04-2017 12:48 PM

Nick Vayne 04-04-2017 12:49 PM

How is that the first time you've heard about that phrase? It's a tv reference. And used wrongly ITT I might add.

Battlerap never jumped the shark for me tbh, it just got boring and way too long-winded.

lukej 04-04-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Vayne (Post 721614)
How is that the first time you've heard about that phrase? It's a tv reference. And used wrongly ITT I might add.

Battlerap never jumped the shark for me tbh, it just got boring and way too long-winded.

I just haven't.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

What show?

JR77 04-04-2017 01:03 PM

Happy Days

peace 04-04-2017 01:08 PM

for smack, it's just when i lost the attention span for watching battles below/above a half hour. the average bottom-/mid-card smack battle is too long for me and knowing that there are going to be dry spots in the average watch has made the scene less appealing.

for KOTD, it was probably after BO5, when i realized that toronto events are just not great at all.

always been watching DF every now and then. sucks DFUSA lost steam, though.

top-tier smack cards and the bunker are what keep me actively interested nowadays

Scartown 04-04-2017 01:39 PM

Happy days? How fucking old are you guys?

I guess I get it if you live in some third world place where happy days is the latest new program.

Jump ship I get, you're bailing on the ship but jump shark? Unless your Evel kinevel that's just not possible

Assassin Ben 04-04-2017 01:47 PM

Just looked up 'jumped the shark', it is a meaning. Means a point where the quality of something started to decline, due to various reasons. Dunno what the etymology of the phrase is.

For me, the point was after Diz vs Arcane (Drake attendance) 2011 and summer madness 2 2012 where we saw diddy, busta etc. Something tweaked in 2013 the battles, were okayish but too many random meh niggas taking battles to get a check and a little fame. Over-saturation was the buzz word back then.

Bubba Barz 04-04-2017 01:48 PM

I never heard the "jump the shark" shit before either. It's awful, fuck off

Abstrakt 04-04-2017 01:54 PM

Jump the shark is used for anything that is past its prime.... because when fonzy jumped over the shark, the show was overly ridiculous and went downhill... so yeah.. I don't think I'm too far off with the expression ... also it's not like it was stopped being used in the 70s.

It just began to get lame and over saturated.... wanted to see if other people felt the same way.... if not, then it's just me with the problem lol

Abstrakt 04-04-2017 02:03 PM

Smh this board...

Feral Linguist 04-04-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstrakt (Post 721628)
Smh this board...

this :jo-bone:

RandallFlagg 04-04-2017 02:30 PM

Ether.

http://thisevilempire.com/blog/wp-co...psshark3sl.gif

Emancee 04-04-2017 02:30 PM

Honestly, it got bad when I started getting so into battles that I watched all of them. Then I moved in with my GF and she hates battling, so I usually only watch one or two a week tops.

Guess what, battling is awesome again because I have to ration myself only to battles I know will be good and not trawl through garbage like Lavoz or washed up battlers like Dirt or Syd Vicious or watch hours of garbage low-league trash in the hopes that one of them has a spark!

cripplesunday1 04-04-2017 02:36 PM

After i mixed watching a No Coast battle and Meth......

.......Nothing was the same

lukej 04-04-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba Barz (Post 721625)
I never heard the "jump the shark" shit before either. It's awful, fuck off

This.

lukej 04-04-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstrakt (Post 721626)
Jump the shark is used for anything that is past its prime.... because when fonzy jumped over the shark, the show was overly ridiculous and went downhill... so yeah.. I don't think I'm too far off with the expression ... also it's not like it was stopped being used in the 70s.

It just began to get lame and over saturated.... wanted to see if other people felt the same way.... if not, then it's just me with the problem lol

Listed a bunch of dope battle rappers with plenty of battles for you to check out.

lukej 04-04-2017 02:40 PM

There isn't an art form or sport where people love to complain and tell you that the peak is gone, that it has seen its prime.

Brizz is going to go down as a legend, any battle rap fan should be excited to see any new battle of his.

Hollow vs Roc is supposedly going down this year.

Ave is out here stirring things up.

Lux might return.

How is it not exciting?

Who are you watching?

Fucking Charron?

Lmfao.

RandallFlagg 04-04-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukej (Post 721635)
This.

Jump the shark is a really common phrase and isn't any more ridiculous than any other idiomatic expression.

Calm your tits.

Abstrakt 04-04-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukej (Post 721635)
This.

What do you mean "this"? You quoted a low quality troll post. Wtf is wrong with you guys? Lol this board man

But I have checked out t top and brizz and while I dont prefer them.... I certainly get why people do

lukej 04-04-2017 02:55 PM

"I'm going to use a phrase no one uses and complain about an art form on a forum all about that art form, it's going to be great, everyone's going to agree with me and I'll get to wallow in my apathy, and when people recommend me battlers, I'll just say, "yeah, but...."

Great thread guys

lukej 04-04-2017 02:56 PM

It never leaped the hippo for me, I'm pretty fine with it.

Could list a bunch of battles that are dope, pretty sure you've made up your mind, though.

Have a great day bruh

lukej 04-04-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scartown (Post 721621)
Happy days? How fucking old are you guys?

I guess I get it if you live in some third world place where happy days is the latest new program.

Jump ship I get, you're bailing on the ship but jump shark? Unless your Evel kinevel that's just not possible

Lmfao

lukej 04-04-2017 02:58 PM

Also Abstrakt, Qleen is in your top 5, and he's back on the URL stage.

If you fuck with Qleen like I fuck with Qleen, that's a big deal.

<shrug>

illipsis 04-04-2017 03:09 PM

Jumping the shark is used a TON in relation to media narrative (even though it's derived from Fonzy literally jumping a shark in Happy Days, it's since been applied to pretty much any show/movie/series that strains the suspension of disbelief beyond its means). Lost started to jump the shark once they introduced the time travel arc, Supernatural jumped the shark when the Winchesters literally beat the devil, etc.

So don't think it was quite what OP was going for, which is probably what threw people. In a battle rap context, we'd probably jump the shark at the point where DNA is booked to battle literally everyone on the card

Nikolas34520 04-04-2017 03:12 PM

Tbh, you gotta take it for what it is. There's always cycles and this is no different, I've personally haven't been enjoying battling cause of all the BS on the forums and bloggers but as long as theres still original and consistent content I'll be watching. Not everyone has the same appreciation for certain styles and formats so I don't see how having different opinions makes any of us inferior. On topic things have died down but it's cool to see battling in a rebuilding stage as the vets we all know and love/hate are slowly being phased out. I cosign the analogy tho, TPB jumped the shark when Corey & Trevor left.

lukej 04-04-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolas34520 (Post 721650)
Tbh, you gotta take it for what it is. There's always cycles and this is no different, I've personally haven't been enjoying battling cause of all the BS on the forums and bloggers but as long as theres still original and consistent content I'll be watching. Not everyone has the same appreciation for certain styles and formats so I don't see how having different opinions makes any of us inferior. On topic things have died down but it's cool to see battling in a rebuilding stage as the vets we all know and love/hate are slowly being phased out. I cosign the analogy tho, TPB jumped the shark when Corey & Trevor left.

You haven't enjoyed battles because of forums?

Lol so you didn't like Nitty vs Ave because of RMBVA?

What?

lukej 04-04-2017 03:16 PM

Here's a dope battle. 8 months ago. Not many views, but crazy.

If this thread is about actual dope battles, and not complaining about how an art form is past its prime, I can post more of these.

Nikolas34520 04-04-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukej (Post 721652)
You haven't enjoyed battles because of forums?

Lol so you didn't like Nitty vs Ave because of RMBVA?

What?

:dafuqouttahere:

lukej 04-04-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolas34520 (Post 721655)
:dafuqouttahere:

Lmfao

lukej 04-04-2017 03:19 PM

Nitty vs Ave was so dope and much-needed

Ever since that battle I've felt a lot better about where shit is going, honestly

RandallFlagg 04-04-2017 03:20 PM

Lukej triggered as fuck.