View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #20
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by questmcody View Post
It seems like there is a thin line between making money and preserving the art form when it comes to battle rap. It seems like battle rappers and battle fans have a love/hate relationship. Personally I love the support, the criticism and even the trolling involved with this art form. The trouble I have is when people vilify those that have some sense of business acumen and label them as greedy individuals.

Are fans just as greedy as the battlers?

To my knowledge the average battlers performing on one of the "Big 3" battle leagues are pulling in approximately $1,500-5,000 per battle. At 5 battles a year, that puts them at $25k MAX from the leagues, that are also often vilified because of their business dealing. $25,000.....That's below the poverty level if that's your only source of income. Now, most battlers, regardless to what you believe have a hustle. Some work a regular job while others have legal and/or illegal outlets to make money. How much do we as fans support the actual battler? Don't get me wrong, a lot of this falls on the battler. A battler has to come up with worthwhile ways for his or her fans to support them as well, but are fans even looking to support a battler in a tangible way?

Are battle rap fans so used to getting free art, packaged as "entertainment" that they scoff at the idea of having to spend money?

Are leagues easier to be loyal to than battlers are?

What kind of fan are you?

Do fans support battlers as individuals?

What are some of the ways a battler can gain your support outside of the ring?

Keep it fun guys
youtube is the main platform right for battle rap..thats where we watch all this shit (for free) i think ppvs n shit go above and beyond in supporting.

i think battlers could do much much more to make their own youtube platform but also just gain a following as individuals (many ppl make comfortable living making daily videos..most are RANDOM ppl)

i think for example if rone vlogged his daily life 20 mins a day and cut it to 10 minutes and uploaded every day he would gain outside of the battle rap circle

i dont think its on us AT ALL money wise. for the prices ppl are being paid and want to be paid, battle rap has to become bigger in general it has to attract more ppl.

i know ppl especially here hate to hear this and u touched on preserving the culture but nice peter the epic battle guy all details aside......is a MILLIONAIRE off battle rap. a MILLIONAIRE cuz he appealed to the platform.. maybe its possible to do that witout "sellin out" or getting near that
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote