Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Watching all GT battles from oldest to newest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #41
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
Knamelis and organik. Kid twist and porich. Bishop brigante and some other dude lol. Jack shitt and step easy. I can't believe I remembered so many teams from wrc canda.
Ya there were a few really sketchy dudes in the mix in WRC Canada WRC Canada 07 is a goldmine... I find those battles so entertaining
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #42
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
If The Saurus is a 10 Defensive Performer then how does he stack up as an offensive performer? If I wanted to take a dig at Pete then I'd say he is the Dennis Rodman of this shit. But is calling that really a dig?

If I knew how to post a image on this board then I'd post a gif/meme of The Saurus and Illmac jumping back and forth. Strong video game analogy
In freestyle, 10/10 offense and very low miss chance and very high chance of critical hit...

and as for defense, less defense than written..... But The Saurus has a counter attack ability where every time he is attacked he drinks a potion that gives him haste and does a counter attack that lands 1-4 times with 100% accuracy.

VERY hard to evaluate The Saurus' offensive ability in the written era cuz he's only aggressive when he has something to prove...

But his offensive ability in written era has been inconsistent and much lower than it was during freestyle era, but defense is so good he still wins every battle

I'd have to re-watch his battle vs Hollohan, Pat Stay or his 2 vs. 2 vs Porich and Diaz, from what I can tell he genuinely disliked all of those opponents at the time of the battle....
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #43
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
In freestyle, 10/10 offense and very low miss chance and very high chance of critical hit...

and as for defense, less defense than written..... But The Saurus has a counter attack ability where every time he is attacked he drinks a potion that gives him haste and does a counter attack that lands 1-4 times with 100% accuracy.

VERY hard to evaluate The Saurus' offensive ability in the written era cuz he's only aggressive when he has something to prove...

But his offensive ability in written era has been inconsistent and much lower than it was during freestyle era, but defense is so good he still wins every battle

I'd have to re-watch his battle vs Hollohan, Pat Stay or his 2 vs. 2 vs Porich and Diaz, from what I can tell he genuinely disliked all of those opponents at the time of the battle....
This is one of my favorite The Saurus performances. I'll need to rewatch with defense in mind because I think these two are friends

Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #44
vokab206
Battle Rapper
 
vokab206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Pay the OP
__________________
Verse Tracker:
https://versetracker.com/search-resu...arch-key=vokab

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:33 AM   #45
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Eleagle vs Tommy Quigz

Eleagle vs Tommy Quigz
Oct 11, 2008
9,436



Another GTNY battle in the backroom.

Never heard of Tommy Quigz but a quick search taught me that he died at age 25 back in 2015.

Eleagle starts off weak: "this battle, I'ma put my knowledge, you should write sonnets because you look quite amish"

A lot of "you look like..." lines in his first verse. I like his soviet union shirt though.

Quigz is "rapping true".

GOddammit, Eleagle starts his second round with a whole bunch of semen talk and anus talk - when he breaks that off he starts struggling but he ends his round with something about a sperm bank.

Quigz is way quieter. "You put legal in your name so you can sound like a citizen" was an okay line.

They're strict with the timelimits which is fine when they're freestyling and they need to be cutoff but no one's getting to their round enders.

Iron Solomon called for something other than gay jokes. There's so much dick and cum and ass lines in all of these battles that it doesn't take long for it all to sound really weird when you're watching a lot of these old battles.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:37 AM   #46
track 1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
track 1 is not the worst person
this thread corny. please stop
track 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:46 AM   #47
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
I appreciate the commentary on not just bars, but "performance" too
I'm trying to just record a few impressions and I'm often more struck by the stuff besides the lyrics in these videos. I also think that I'd lose patience with this little endeavor pretty quickly if I was going to try to comment on all their lyrics when so much of it is just about dicks and cum. Now that these battles are 10 years in the past and we're all 10 years older I'm more like... impressed by the absurdity of having two men, often in the street, shouting at eachother about dicks and cum.

That might sound like I'm just taking this all in ironically but I'm not, I really like battle rap but Jesus, I forgot how much dick/cum/up the ass/and other gross body/sex content there were in these battles!
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 AM   #48
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by track 1 View Post
this thread corny. please stop
Yer the boss.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #49
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Surgeon General vs Lyraflip

Surgeon General vs Lyraflip
Oct 12, 2008
26, 976



SG lights a cigarette before he starts and Lyraflip starts predicting the last word of SG's lines. He predicts "90" after SG says "ninteen"

SG rapped for like 30 seconds for his first. Lyraflip sounds a little more polished but SG said that he'll make Lyraflip eat his own adams apple.

Lyraflip struggles through his 2nd though.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:03 AM   #50
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Over the last 3 years (perhaps a bit longer) battle rap has trended more PC in some respects. I'm curious if you'll notice things going in that direction when you get to the end of grindtimes catoloug
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:08 AM   #51
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
This is one of my favorite The Saurus performances. I'll need to rewatch with defense in mind because I think these two are friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTUdA6ctr3E
I think my favorite written performance by The Saurus is vs Pat Stay

Its a great battle and a really good display of The Saurus' defense IMO

One thing I like about The Saurus's defense is that he is active during his opponents rounds

I remember once in a freestyle battle someone said The Saurus wasn't wearing any socks and The Saurus immediately reaches down and pulls up his ankle socks to prove him wrong.. It's a small detail but it makes a difference about whether the punch lands or not

The Saurus will occasionally cross the line when its worth it... Like when Cortez said "If I didn't have battle rap I would be a gangster if you didn't have battle rap you would have gone to harvard blah blah" And THe Saurus said " I think I win in that case"

Vs. Pat Stay u can see The Saurus use a wide range of defensive maneuvers. When Pat Stay talks about "Sorry I'm late honey , got caught in a cypher" The Saurus leans back and erupts into hearty laughter.. He knows its funny and by laughing, he gets the camera on him.. As viewers we think "The SAURUS is funny" instead of giving Pat full credit for the good line.

The Saurus will choose the funniest / best (but harmless) lines to react to.. By showing approval at a good line, it suggests that if he disapproves, it must be a bad line.. So if they say anything harmful to The Saurus he can make a grimace to deflect the line and ooze disapproval, completely parrying his opponent's attack....

He positions himself in your subconscious in this way and gets in the head of his opponent too. You end up watching The saurus more than his opponent, even during his opponents rounds

In his battle vs. Pat Stay, Pat Stay tries to position himself as the alpha by saying he can say whatever he want about The Saurus' dad and if The Saurus gets in his face over it, he will knock him out.

The Saurus immediately stands right in front of Pat Stay looks him directly in the eye and his brim is pointed right into Pat Stays face... I think he only gave Pat Stay 1 more milimeter than Dose gave Math... This was the best thing he coulda done in this situation for defense... And it really deflected Pat's whole strategy to make The Saurus look weak and washed up. It made things loud and clear "I am not afraid of you"..

At one point The Saurus leaned back and did this really funny dance that even got gifed when the battle first came out... He is making it clear to everyone.. Pat is only good for a few cheap laughs, nothing more.. And The Saurus is having the last laugh as he is having fun while Pat Stay is not.. Winners have fun and laugh heartily.. losers are tense and serious.. Losers nervously gulp water bottles during their opponents rounds.. The Saurus just looks around at his friends and smiles, having a good time, oozing his disapproval at wack lines when it is called for.. Like an octopus releasing blinding toxic ink when it is attacked

As if all of these layers of defensive maneuvering weren't enough, The Saurus has an amazing rebuttle in the third round that shut shit down.. I dont know how else to describe it.. Witnessing it live on PPV I fell backwards out of my beanbag chair..

Last edited by Water Mage; 08-22-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #52
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
XT vs D-lor

XT vs D-lor
Oct 14, 2008
27,816



XT, never heard of him but he did the fist to hand gesture Lush and Plex do for their crew. Said he's reppin' SLA and 'Kidnap Artists'

D-Lor's strengths are listed as 'immortality and strong telekenesis'

XT's first punch is about D-Lor's smell then he stumbles after calling Lor the black forest gump.

XT's really straining the multi-syllable stuff, "two year mission to prove your shit's written and if I lose you're still a two bit dipshit"

Said weird stuff about fuzz and fudge, didn't catch it all but its weird.

As usual when there's a rapper I've heard of from later battles vs someone whose name is lost to time, the known rapper is way way better right off.

"I'll cook your mom some crystal meth then tell that bitch to kiss the chef" - this just sounds so much badder than any of the other mom lines I've heard so far.

D-Lor is bouncing and vibrating with rapping excitement! XT sounds like a total dud starting his round. He got some reaction saying "I'll turn your hat into a halo and make you daddy's little angel" but its still weak compared to D-Lor's first.

D-Lor starts weak in his second and I'm thinking its going to be a round of weak freestyle just to run out the clock but he builds up and starts getting reaction then ends with "when I fist his dyke, her clit gets like, the christmas lights, of citrus heights!" and the crowd goes nuts, someone behind Lor starts play-punching someone else and you hear someone shout "Man Down!"
It's pretty good stuff. XT says "classic shit" after.

XT, in his third, said this is the ninth time they've battled and D-Lor's never won.

"knock out your oxygen box and leave your esophagus blocked until all consciousness stpped" is good multisyllabic rhyming.

Judges just said "we're giving to D-Lor" instead of individual synopses of their decisions.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #53
vokab206
Battle Rapper
 
vokab206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Rip xt the factor
__________________
Verse Tracker:
https://versetracker.com/search-resu...arch-key=vokab

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #54
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
As usual when there's a rapper I've heard of from later battles vs someone whose name is lost to time.
XT had potential, but unfortunately died a couple of years after this, so no chance to really make a legacy
__________________
Autoloss list:
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #55
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
That might sound like I'm just taking this all in ironically but I'm not, I really like battle rap but Jesus, I forgot how much dick/cum/up the ass/and other gross body/sex content there were in these battles!
Haha! And you still haven't got to the incestuous lesbian rape bars. Not gonna spoil the surprise by telling you the battle, but you're not far off now, lol.
__________________
Autoloss list:
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #56
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Revanon vs Unorthodox Phrases

Revanon vs Unorthodox Phrases
Oct 16, 2008
14,691



Ugh, Revanon vs Unorthodox Phrases, they're both kinda funny but too theatrical and they both seem to freestyle through their battles and with UP, at least, it means long pauses while he thinks of things to say. At this stage in Grind Time, after some great performances of written material from D-Lor and Pass, non-stop freestyling is hard to tolerate.

Revanon choked in round 2. Then he choked in Round 3. Both times he just stopped rapping and then said "I can't do it."

Unorthodox Phrases is doing some pretty terrible "he's so old" and "he's so black" jokes and at one point in his third Phrases says "How much time I have left". Drect says "40 second".

I started watching battles in 2009 and eventually this project of watching all of GT's battles is going to converge with my memories of watching these the first time around. One thing I remember from back then is that, with some exceptions, I often only watched the GT Fresh Coast battles, at least in 2009. Going from XT vs D-Lor, which was good, to Revanon vs Phrases (supposedly two of the best in FL at this time) has me back in that state, looking forward to those GT West battles and annoyed that the next one is T2 Good vs Hardkore, in Florida.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #57
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
T2 Good vs Hardkore
Oct 18, 2008
4,203



Two MCs under 20 years old.

There's $150 on the line for this one.

T2 Good freestyles on Hardkore's Playboy's shirt, it wasn't bad. He's pretty good as a freestyler. His goto phrase is "Everybody knows" and he says it maybe 9 times in his first round.

Hardkore shouted some pretty generic stuff.

T2 Good can freestyle without struggling and he said something like "everybody knows this nigga can't stand tall, come at me too raw I'ma take a machete and spaghetti your meatball" - which was nice. He got a good reaction from that but he was weak for the rest of round 2.

T2 said 'everybody knows' 8 times in round 2.

Hardkore said 'everybody knows' twice.

T2 is not an athelete or anything but he't not fat but for some reason Hardkore has had multiple fat lines against him.

T2 imitated Hardkore's shouting and he was pretty spot on with it.

Hardkore is struggling through the third and he's mentioned that he's freestyling at least twice.

Overall T2 isn't bad. I don't remember him at all but it seems like he could develop into someone to watch
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #58
StankDaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
StankDaddy Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokesStankDaddy Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
I think my favorite written performance by The Saurus is vs Pat Stay

Its a great battle and a really good display of The Saurus' defense IMO

One thing I like about The Saurus's defense is that he is active during his opponents rounds

I remember once in a freestyle battle someone said The Saurus wasn't wearing any socks and The Saurus immediately reaches down and pulls up his ankle socks to prove him wrong.. It's a small detail but it makes a difference about whether the punch lands or not

The Saurus will occasionally cross the line when its worth it... Like when Cortez said "If I didn't have battle rap I would be a gangster if you didn't have battle rap you would have gone to harvard blah blah" And THe Saurus said " I think I win in that case"

Vs. Pat Stay u can see The Saurus use a wide range of defensive maneuvers. When Pat Stay talks about "Sorry I'm late honey , got caught in a cypher" The Saurus leans back and erupts into hearty laughter.. He knows its funny and by laughing, he gets the camera on him.. As viewers we think "The SAURUS is funny" instead of giving Pat full credit for the good line.

The Saurus will choose the funniest / best (but harmless) lines to react to.. By showing approval at a good line, it suggests that if he disapproves, it must be a bad line.. So if they say anything harmful to The Saurus he can make a grimace to deflect the line and ooze disapproval, completely parrying his opponent's attack....

He positions himself in your subconscious in this way and gets in the head of his opponent too. You end up watching The saurus more than his opponent, even during his opponents rounds

In his battle vs. Pat Stay, Pat Stay tries to position himself as the alpha by saying he can say whatever he want about The Saurus' dad and if The Saurus gets in his face over it, he will knock him out.

The Saurus immediately stands right in front of Pat Stay looks him directly in the eye and his brim is pointed right into Pat Stays face... I think he only gave Pat Stay 1 more milimeter than Dose gave Math... This was the best thing he coulda done in this situation for defense... And it really deflected Pat's whole strategy to make The Saurus look weak and washed up. It made things loud and clear "I am not afraid of you"..

At one point The Saurus leaned back and did this really funny dance that even got gifed when the battle first came out... He is making it clear to everyone.. Pat is only good for a few cheap laughs, nothing more.. And The Saurus is having the last laugh as he is having fun while Pat Stay is not.. Winners have fun and laugh heartily.. losers are tense and serious.. Losers nervously gulp water bottles during their opponents rounds.. The Saurus just looks around at his friends and smiles, having a good time, oozing his disapproval at wack lines when it is called for.. Like an octopus releasing blinding toxic ink when it is attacked

As if all of these layers of defensive maneuvering weren't enough, The Saurus has an amazing rebuttle in the third round that shut shit down.. I dont know how else to describe it.. Witnessing it live on PPV I fell backwards out of my beanbag chair..
This is is the first time i've had to think "You obviously watched the battle - but did you even watch the battle?"

Terrible, baseless calls.
StankDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #59
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Revanon vs State of Mynd

Revanon vs State of Mynd
Oct 27, 2008
7,475 views

Not much to say about it. Mad Illz starts the video without a coin to toss and asks "who has a coin for me" from the folks behind him while a big truck goes by. There's lots of traffic including city busses going by.

Its easy to imagine State of Mynd as an animated skeleton. He starts predicting Revanon which is really annoying. Mynd starts getting reaction in his second although his third was crickets and Revanon isn't good. Mynd pronounced 'relevance' like 'relephants' to rhyme it with 'elephants' for his big third round ender.

Revanon has printouts of pics from State of mynd's myspace or something. The first time something like that happened in a Grind Time battle.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:28 AM   #60
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Looks like we are about at the point in the timeline where Lush battles Unorthodox Phrases
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 AM   #61
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
I'm past that. I watched a bunch of battles without posting anything. It was just me on my own, watching these battles.

I did make notes on it though:

Lush One vs Unorthodox Phrases
July 20, 2008
196,711 views

first GT appearance of Lush One and its as a battler.

Sponsored by Black Box Collective at 630 W Central Blvd. An old warehouse covered in graf that since 2008 has been demolished so a stadium could be put there.

Lush One isn't the best or anything but he's clearly better than the average GT rapper at this point plus UP is way worse here than in his other battles. Lush is wearing a super long shirt. "I dressed like a clown to give you some ammo, Lush cares."

"He got no heart in the tussle, cause he got no part in the struggle, he went to harvard with his father and his aunt and his uncle' he ain't never been on the block to harness the hustle, he was at the debutante ball doing the carleton shuffle"

Lush's hair receding when he was 26. Oh well.

2 part battle, four rounds just cause Lush wanted to.

Battle ends with Mad Illz announcing GTWC and GTNY
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 AM   #62
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
I'm past that. I watched a bunch of battles without posting anything. It was just me on my own, watching these battles.

I did make notes on it though:

Lush One vs Unorthodox Phrases
July 20, 2008
196,711 views

first GT appearance of Lush One and its as a battler.

Sponsored by Black Box Collective at 630 W Central Blvd. An old warehouse covered in graf that since 2008 has been demolished so a stadium could be put there.

Lush One isn't the best or anything but he's clearly better than the average GT rapper at this point plus UP is way worse here than in his other battles. Lush is wearing a super long shirt. "I dressed like a clown to give you some ammo, Lush cares."

"He got no heart in the tussle, cause he got no part in the struggle, he went to harvard with his father and his aunt and his uncle' he ain't never been on the block to harness the hustle, he was at the debutante ball doing the carleton shuffle"

Lush's hair receding when he was 26. Oh well.

2 part battle, four rounds just cause Lush wanted to.

Battle ends with Mad Illz announcing GTWC and GTNY
Thanks for the recap

I'm dead everytime Lush or someone else refers to this battle as Lush bating UP into freestyling- all the while knowing he (Lush) will be using writtens.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:46 AM   #63
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
Thanks for the recap

I'm dead everytime Lush or someone else refers to this battle as Lush bating UP into freestyling- all the while knowing he (Lush) will be using writtens.
I can't imagine anyone saying that who's also seen Phrases in another battle. He's obviously freestyling most of time and his rounds are full of too-long pauses while he thinks of what he'll say next. I don't know where Lush would have said this but to me this battle is just another case of not everyone being on the same page in a new format.

I did a search for Unorthodox Phrases and found that he's on youtube as Ben Phrases and he does like motivational kinda videos to help you get your life on track.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #64
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
I can't imagine anyone saying that who's also seen Phrases in another battle. He's obviously freestyling most of time and his rounds are full of too-long pauses while he thinks of what he'll say next. I don't know where Lush would have said this but to me this battle is just another case of not everyone being on the same page in a new format.

I did a search for Unorthodox Phrases and found that he's on youtube as Ben Phrases and he does like motivational kinda videos to help you get your life on track.

that whole video explains it. but skip to 1:47 if you want
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #65
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankDaddy View Post
This is is the first time i've had to think "You obviously watched the battle - but did you even watch the battle?"

Terrible, baseless calls.
This is a great thread and everyone is having fun.. Don't mess it up with this contrarian BS

How though? I wasn't even analyzing the battle as a whole so why would you even say that? I was giving examples of The Saurus' defensive maneuvers. How effective they are is totally subjective.. I think it's odd to talk about opinions about battles as "baseless" since that word implies "facts" -- or lack thereof. I actually based my opinions on physical movements and gestures which are more fact-based than saying that a line is "hot" or "trash". I.e. It's a fact that The Saurus didn't back down and let Pat Stay be the alpha male and all of that has a FACTUAL basis in primate psychology.

So which facts did you base your opinions on?

Saying something is bad without giving any explanation, that's baseless too. You're better than that.

So am I to assume you think Pat Stay won that battle?


Im waiting to hear your facts and you can share your scholarly insights and erudition Maybe you can write a paper refuting my outrageous opinions about a rap battle that lack a sound basis in fact and while you're at it, please write a paper on why Pat won that battle.. I expect plenty of fact-based information, complete with citations from credible peer-reviewed research.

Last edited by Water Mage; 08-28-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #66
rogermellie
Registered User
 
rogermellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,763
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
It's a fact that The Saurus didn't back down and let Pat Stay be the alpha male and all of that has a FACTUAL basis in primate psychology.
10/10 sentence.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpen View Post
if u were really tough you would go troll reddit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
It's a fact that The Saurus didn't back down and let Pat Stay be the alpha male and all of that has a FACTUAL basis in primate psychology.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:28 AM   #67
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvArOTb-bg

that whole video explains it. but skip to 1:47 if you want
Ok, I see what you mean. I usually enjoy hearing Lush's behind-the-scenes stories on those Ruin Your Day Watch videos but his self-serving analysis here is a shame I think for two reasons.

1. I don't know what evidence there was that led Lush to think he had to trick Phrases into freestyling when Phrases pretty obviously freestyled through every battle he had up to that point.

2. It's a shame that Lush wanted to remember that battle as though he tricked someone into freestyling to score a win because none of these early battles where the rappers struggled to freestyle through this format are classics. Almost all of these freestyled battles are hard to watch and Lush might have won against Phrases but that battle is not a classic either.

When he's talking about strategy in that video what I hear in what he says is its good to trick someone into giving a bad performance for the sake of a win but at the expense of creating watchable content.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #68
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
2. It's a shame that Lush wanted to remember that battle as though he tricked someone into freestyling to score a win because none of these early battles where the rappers struggled to freestyle through this format are classics. Almost all of these freestyled battles are hard to watch and Lush might have won against Phrases but that battle is not a classic either.

When he's talking about strategy in that video what I hear in what he says is its good to trick someone into giving a bad performance for the sake of a win but at the expense of creating watchable content.
By today's standards, yeah it's weird, but back in those days winning was everything. If you had to mess up the battle to get the dub, no problem, you got the W and the props.
__________________
Autoloss list:
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:43 AM   #69
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4,760
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
10/10 sentence.
Of all the things I expect to be discussed here, King's theories of primate dominance displays is definitely low on the list, lol.
__________________
Autoloss list:
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:25 AM   #70
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
By today's standards, yeah it's weird, but back in those days winning was everything. If you had to mess up the battle to get the dub, no problem, you got the W and the props.
I get that. I'm just struck by our looking back on Lush's looking back - while he's taking note of how to play to win in a changing time by tricking opponents into taking an outdated approach to the battle, he doesn't question whether or not playing strictly to win was also becoming outdated.

When you're in the middle of something that's changing you might not know it's happening but a lot of these battles have less than 10k views and no one's watching just to admire someone for claiming a W.

I'm in fall 2008 with these so I know its a few years still before judged battles disappear - maybe I'm frustrated because I'm seeing too many lopsided battles where one dude is straining out three freestyled rounds and the other guy gets the new format and wrote for his opponent.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:37 AM   #71
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Freestyle in the written era is like bringing a knife to a fun fight.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #72
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Hemisphere vs New Eruh

Hemisphere vs New Eruh
Oct 28, 2008
5, 680

Not sure if I've seen them yet, New Eruh seems familiar. WHen they show the intro for New Eruh the screen just goes black for 10 seconds and then a guy messes up the coin toss before Hemisphere does several "your so black.." lines.

New Eruh calls Hemisphere Marshall Mathers. I've heard that so many times already.

Hemisphere does a playstation controller scheme.

Pretty sure New Eruh is freestyling cause his lyrics are weak but he's got a flow going.

Hemisphere started his thid with a mortal kombat line that refers to the button combination you press for a move. It's too much video game stuff. Hemisphere also ended his third round with ANOTHER "he's so black I can't see him" bit.

Was the black intro for New Eruh a joke on Hemisphere's angles?

Overtime round, which is unfortunate. It might have been hard to pick a winner but because they were pretty evenly matched in how not good they were but who wanted to see another round? Hemisphere's doing a better job in the OT.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #73
irvsykeg
Registered User
 
irvsykeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnik View Post
I wasn't. Even back in 2011 I thought he was horrible. lol. Only dudes I ever thought were even remotely nice from FL were Madness, Storm, and Rugged. Surgeon General was nice off top, but his battles were always extremely underwhelming.



Complex was the dude who somehow made it on 106 & Park twice and lost in the first round both times. Got made a fool of by Real Deal at home, tried to get in Mystiques pants and failed, then quit battle rap to play video games for a living. Dude threatened to break my jaw over the internet once. Clown shoe of the highest order and the quintessential stereotype for NY wiggers.
dont forget the whole fake gf thing
__________________
I'm only fucking with bosses like Shadow of the Colossus

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #74
irvsykeg
Registered User
 
irvsykeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
Revanon vs Unorthodox Phrases

Revanon choked in round 2. Then he choked in Round 3. Both times he just stopped rapping and then said "I can't do it."
in a parallel universe he didn't do this and i am lux
__________________
I'm only fucking with bosses like Shadow of the Colossus

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #75
Tecnik
Registered User
 
Tecnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tecnik is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
dont forget the whole fake gf thing
He had a fake girlfriend? I know for sure he tried to mack every single girl who ever entered the GT tinychat, and met up with at least 1. Don't recall anything about a fake girlfriend, but I can't say I'm shocked. Lines right up with the type of dude he seemed to be.

Anyhow, since we're on the topic of Complex, and since RD is the new champ... let me leave this here;



AND THEY'RE OFF!

EDIT: Wow, just realized RD actually mentioned fake GF in the battle. Look at me not knowing shit over here. Yeesh.

Last edited by Tecnik; 08-30-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Idiocy
Tecnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #76
MrFujiwara
VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
MrFujiwara is not the worst person
Let me commend you brother as this is quite the daunting task and labor of love. I’d be interested to know how closely you follow the current scene and also if you think there was anything that was done better in the GT era compared to today’s scene? I’m Japanese Jesus btw you’ll stumble upon some of my battles soon chronologically.
MrFujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #77
Wtchr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujiwara View Post
Let me commend you brother as this is quite the daunting task and labor of love. Iíd be interested to know how closely you follow the current scene and also if you think there was anything that was done better in the GT era compared to todayís scene? Iím Japanese Jesus btw youíll stumble upon some of my battles soon chronologically.
Hey man, thanks for saying that. I don't really follow the current scene too much and I only really watch current battles by battlers I know from back when I was really into it, which was probably 2009 - 2013. I'm Canadian so I started watching KOTD in Spring 2009 and my first GT battle was Arsonal vs Okwerdz.

Things petered out for me in 2013 for two reasons: 1 was personal, I had a kid born at the end of 2012 and I started working full time at the start of 2013 so I had a lot less time to just dick around on the internet. The second reason was that I was losing interest in the matchups that were coming out, battles were getting longer and, in my opinion, less fun to watch, and a lot of rappers I dont like too much were becoming very dominant in the scene.

Do you still rap or battle? I know I watched a few of your battles but I can recall off the top of my head your battle with Chedda Cheese and you were both great in that.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #78
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,356
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
I think my favorite written performance by The Saurus is vs Pat Stay

Its a great battle and a really good display of The Saurus' defense IMO

One thing I like about The Saurus's defense is that he is active during his opponents rounds

I remember once in a freestyle battle someone said The Saurus wasn't wearing any socks and The Saurus immediately reaches down and pulls up his ankle socks to prove him wrong.. It's a small detail but it makes a difference about whether the punch lands or not

The Saurus will occasionally cross the line when its worth it... Like when Cortez said "If I didn't have battle rap I would be a gangster if you didn't have battle rap you would have gone to harvard blah blah" And THe Saurus said " I think I win in that case"

Vs. Pat Stay u can see The Saurus use a wide range of defensive maneuvers. When Pat Stay talks about "Sorry I'm late honey , got caught in a cypher" The Saurus leans back and erupts into hearty laughter.. He knows its funny and by laughing, he gets the camera on him.. As viewers we think "The SAURUS is funny" instead of giving Pat full credit for the good line.

The Saurus will choose the funniest / best (but harmless) lines to react to.. By showing approval at a good line, it suggests that if he disapproves, it must be a bad line.. So if they say anything harmful to The Saurus he can make a grimace to deflect the line and ooze disapproval, completely parrying his opponent's attack....

He positions himself in your subconscious in this way and gets in the head of his opponent too. You end up watching The saurus more than his opponent, even during his opponents rounds

In his battle vs. Pat Stay, Pat Stay tries to position himself as the alpha by saying he can say whatever he want about The Saurus' dad and if The Saurus gets in his face over it, he will knock him out.

The Saurus immediately stands right in front of Pat Stay looks him directly in the eye and his brim is pointed right into Pat Stays face... I think he only gave Pat Stay 1 more milimeter than Dose gave Math... This was the best thing he coulda done in this situation for defense... And it really deflected Pat's whole strategy to make The Saurus look weak and washed up. It made things loud and clear "I am not afraid of you"..

At one point The Saurus leaned back and did this really funny dance that even got gifed when the battle first came out... He is making it clear to everyone.. Pat is only good for a few cheap laughs, nothing more.. And The Saurus is having the last laugh as he is having fun while Pat Stay is not.. Winners have fun and laugh heartily.. losers are tense and serious.. Losers nervously gulp water bottles during their opponents rounds.. The Saurus just looks around at his friends and smiles, having a good time, oozing his disapproval at wack lines when it is called for.. Like an octopus releasing blinding toxic ink when it is attacked

As if all of these layers of defensive maneuvering weren't enough, The Saurus has an amazing rebuttle in the third round that shut shit down.. I dont know how else to describe it.. Witnessing it live on PPV I fell backwards out of my beanbag chair..
what the fuck
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #79
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
Hey man, thanks for saying that. I don't really follow the current scene too much and I only really watch current battles by battlers I know from back when I was really into it, which was probably 2009 - 2013. I'm Canadian so I started watching KOTD in Spring 2009 and my first GT battle was Arsonal vs Okwerdz.

Things petered out for me in 2013 for two reasons: 1 was personal, I had a kid born at the end of 2012 and I started working full time at the start of 2013 so I had a lot less time to just dick around on the internet. The second reason was that I was losing interest in the matchups that were coming out, battles were getting longer and, in my opinion, less fun to watch, and a lot of rappers I dont like too much were becoming very dominant in the scene.

Do you still rap or battle? I know I watched a few of your battles but I can recall off the top of my head your battle with Chedda Cheese and you were both great in that.
Wow your story about battling is almost exactly the same as my own, like same year getting into it and same year getting out of it. I'm even Canadian

And yah battle started to get a lot less fun to watch. Glad ur doing this thread I think it's a cool idea.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #80
Profess
Smooth Criminal
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Wow your story about battling is almost exactly the same as my own, like same year getting into it and same year getting out of it. I'm even Canadian

And yah battle started to get a lot less fun to watch. Glad ur doing this thread I think it's a cool idea.
Come to think of it, have you and @Wtchr ever been seen in a room at the same time. Be careful, or Piper Boy will report that you are pulling a Clark Kent
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
8217, bars


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Forum Stats
Members: 5,607
Threads: 27,824
Posts: 742,563
Total Online: 1799

Newest Member: DethStryque The Invincibl

Latest Threads
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by Profess



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.