Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Why Does Battle Rap Suck Now?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #41
God of Rap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
God of Rap is a PY Poster
For me anyway it seems a hassle to keep up with it. Most battles I've watched recently I've half paid interest to. I'm sure there's great battles out there and I've seen the feedback for some and its positive. But whenever I have checked it out, I just get a lackluster feeling.
God of Rap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #42
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
it doesn't suck at all anymore really. just the bad on both sides (battlers/fans) seem to stick out more than the positive
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #43
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
it doesn't suck at all anymore really. just the bad on both sides (battlers/fans) seem to stick out more than the positive
Pretty much yeah. Like, The Bunker is the most exciting thing happening in battle rap these days, but as much as I love The Bunker, I also dislike how most of the newer NY dudes (from like WGH, TrapNY, etc) rap the same mediocre way.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #44
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

Mentioned: 640 Post(s)
I am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
you are one of the battlers that made this shit better. I can honestly say you've given us classics every time. As for Charlie Chips tho... Man that bitch doesn't put time into writing or even practicing and yet Smack still lets him on the URL stage and not you. smfh. I can agree with you tho with the battlers/fans putting in a shit display. The fans in the crowd booing at good material at times or the battlers being poor sports. Plus battlers quit cause of battlers and fans like Caustic and Okwerds and MegaDef. The list goes on plus battlers like Bigg K hate battle fans and shit on the culture. Battle Rap doesn't suck it's just most battlers and fans drain everyone of their energy.
Ain't no real rappers that want to step to me Son! Theses rappers are more softer than a sesame seed bun. Speaking of seeds Star Almighty's Mom is digesting these nuts and up next to roast you guys is ekelon nope forget it he sucks!
I am LIL ILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #45
StankDaddy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
i think Ness got it but also its not as exciting. I think its just cause its young and hasn't evolved a balance between hype and quality to the point where it can service a sort of 'every battle is a banger' mentality yet.
StankDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #46
Emseed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emseed is not the worst person
Its become too nerdy. Its no longer part of a street culture or hip hop, its part of nerdy internet culture now.

Not being judged means there is no real winner

I've grown up and no longer find people dissing each other or talking about shit they'd never really do entertaining.

The main thing for me though is its just too nerdy now. In some ways I'm a nerd myself but some of these battles, the crowds and the things they cheer for just make me cringe.

Last edited by Emseed; 01-05-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Emseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #47
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emseed View Post
Its become too nerdy. Its no longer part of a street culture or hip hop, its part of nerdy internet culture now.

Not being judged means there is no real winner

I've grown up and no longer find people dissing each other or talking about shit they'd never really do entertaining.
giphy.com/embed/QKcEbV6ouXf32

You wanna judge, then lets judge!

Did Math's stock really drop as much as some agree it did in 2016?
@riffic how is a link posted as a gif?

Last edited by Profess; 01-05-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #48
PriceAintRight
All I know is I'm wavy, b

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Last few responses: " I love those backpackers at the Bunker, but SMH at those street rappers from We Go Hard"

"Battling is no longer Hip-Hop"

Lol battle fans are such enormous hipsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
PriceAintRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #49
EchosMyron

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
EchosMyron is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
I think maybe we've all just watched too much battle rap and are now burnt out
This is accurate. After years of watching every significant battle event from a major league there's just inevitable burnout.

I can't watch any matchup with a battler I like anymore. It has to be something interesting or there's gotta be an overwhelmingly positive reception for me to check it out.
EchosMyron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #50
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
giphy.com/embed/QKcEbV6ouXf32

You wanna judge, then lets judge!

Did Math's stock really drop as much as some agree it did in 2016?
@riffic how is a link posted as a gif?

[img]Image Address[/img]
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #51
mek

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
mek is not the worst person
wtf is everyone so excited about t rex vs shine? when is the last time we seen rex on point? seriously, i think it was during his total slaughter run..?

also, i dont think its stale. i think its getting more and more difficult to come up with entirely new and fresh ideas all the time. theres just so many battlers out there now.
mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:25 AM   #52
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

I am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICE
Battle rap doesn't suck it's the battlers that suck. Well at least 98.9 percent of em
Ain't no real rappers that want to step to me Son! Theses rappers are more softer than a sesame seed bun. Speaking of seeds Star Almighty's Mom is digesting these nuts and up next to roast you guys is ekelon nope forget it he sucks!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:15 AM   #53
dking11

dking11 is not the worst person
When alt-right twitter trolls began not just being weirdo fans but started battling....it was over immediately.
dking11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #54
lukej

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lukej is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Battle rap doesn't suck it's the battlers that suck. Well at least 98.9 percent of em
How much, exactly, do you listen to yourself?

Not trying to insult you whatsoever just trying to figure out how you think
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #55
lukej

2017 going to be a great year.

URL got some crazy shit planned

KOTD has some new up and comers

DF...I don't know.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #56
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
battle raps fine just need to take a break every now and again tbh
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #57
VAallDAY

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emseed View Post
hit the nail on the head right here...

battle rap started overflowing with corny n*ggas.. the real battle rappers from back in the day lost interest, so what ur left with is a bunch of squares who got passed the torch

shit just dont feel real anymore
VAallDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 AM   #58
Scartown

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Scartown is better than Grind Time AustraliaScartown is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAallDAY View Post
hit the nail on the head right here...

battle rap started overflowing with corny n*ggas.. the real battle rappers from back in the day lost interest, so what ur left with is a bunch of squares who got passed the torch

shit just dont feel real anymore
This
Plus whoever said it's diluted is dead on. The amount of drops on here alone is nuts.

"Backfarm battles presents hillbilly Jim vs uncle Elmer" both sides went the fuck off"

"This up and comer has so much potential, he needs a plate" 10 times a day.
Fuck outta here.
Scartown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #59
averagejoe

Mentioned: 1158 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by haatley View Post
Over saturated. Not seeing enough of big names cause they want stupid money now.

lets get it right tho...its kotd fault/choice and theirs only that they decided to pay URL ppl what they ask...obv every1 else is gonna make noise after that

battles not being judged took out ALL the competitiveness of a sport that was based on competition......

KOTD trying to be URL is what i personally hate about battle rap rn
averagejoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #60
averagejoe

averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
unjudged battle rap is so fucking lame....

if ur not gonna judge it..the two guys might as well write the battle together and make it better.
with fake rebuttles/fake predictive writing (like some already do)

i havn't liked a new person in years because of the structure...ppl used to win a bunch in a row at a low rank and then start battling good ppl and depended if they won or not...

u know work ur way up

there is NO working ur way up in battle rap now. only new people is who they force on you I.E. Tycoon tax whos view average is fucking pathetic 100% undebateable pathetic when u take into consideration the high viewed opponents and events he was fed over and over

i dont like arcane but his whole situation going on a killing spree and taking the chain and what not..being the underdog...that shit doesent exist anymore. 0. KOTD is dumb imo for not realizing u build talent out of competition..... NOT compensation...

and thats why they rely on paying URL guys so much money to make a decent event and also why they have no talent base

and AS MUCH as king fly wants to say him and organik are totally involved in the bunker... its pretty damn obvious the person who is choosing or finalizing the matches is NOT the same person as other kotd events...

Last edited by averagejoe; 01-09-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #61
averagejoe

also innovation/trying new stuff???

2 v 2 competitions
spin the mic type shit
rap olympics

why can't we do something fun and new (or old) like we used
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #62
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post
i dont like arcane but his whole situation going on a killing spree and taking the chain and what not..being the underdog...that shit doesent exist anymore. 0. KOTD is dumb imo for not realizing u build talent out of competition..... NOT compensation...
Agreed that the GP was way more exciting than it had any rights to be. Bulletz tearing through guys that should have beat him on paper, Arcane as the underdog and then that controversial semi-final between them both was more entertainment than we've had since.

Even the one after that with Caustic ripping the soul out of lower tier nerds (Always where Caustic has been his most entertaining) and Chedda staking his claim was insanely interesting.

It's only a shame that GZ ones have disappointed. Other than P-nut vs Megadef and the occasional Aftershock performance, mostly garbage or clearly one-sided battles came out of them.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:13 AM   #63
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
also innovation/trying new stuff???

2 v 2 competitions
spin the mic type shit
rap olympics

why can't we do something fun and new (or old) like we used
KOTD has done all of these in the past few years (2on2 champs, Be Eh MC), so I'd like to see them switch it up a little more.

A box bracket could be really interesting. This means that you choose 4 rappers and instead of having 2 battles, you have 6 battles so each rapper battles every other one.

Or a competition with a losers bracket, so you have to lose twice to be out the competition, offering a chance to the guys who underprepare once to have another shot and then you have a grand final between the loser and winners brackets.

I would also like to see more Maypril Fools style battles. Experiment with the format and see if it works (Without doing retard shit like those train-wreck singing battles). How about Bonnie and Clyde battles (One female, one male on each team); crew vs crew (Include DJs in the battle); Positive and Negative (One rapper on each crew spits insults, one complements for comedy); etc. etc.

So many ways you can switch it up without losing the essence. DF's only problem was trying to go viral instead of making dope battles that go viral because they are good, not a gimmick!
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #64
averagejoe

im hoping 2017 is the year nocoast gets their shit together

most underrated league to ever exist
Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #65
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
How much, exactly, do you listen to yourself?

Not trying to insult you whatsoever just trying to figure out how you think
I think you should observe who's trash and who's gold in you want to really see for yourself who's really the top 10. btw the top 10 are the only ones I really rather spend time to watch rap.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #66
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
It seems like a new iteration of this thread pops up once a year.

The scene goes in cycles, but so can a fan's interest. We often don't notice other shit coloring our opinions on the matter. I'm not negating your feelings. Just something I've had to recognize.

I think 2016 was one of the top years of this decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #67
lukej

I wonder how many new "exciting" things battle rap can do

Dope battlers emerge, that's really what changes everything

All of a sudden crazy match ups are possible

Backstories emerge, etc

Then battles either disappoint or live up to the hype
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 AM   #68
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
irvsykeg is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchMenace View Post
people have been saying this for 20 years
it's been right for the past 4-5 or so

Me rhyming insults to someone.
irvsykeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #69
averagejoe

@King Fly

can u answer me this without it being an argument or w.e like ur actual opinion

do u agree battle rap isint appealing to younger people (under 20) like it used to be?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #70
StankDaddy

StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
Quote:
@King Fly

do u agree battle rap isint appealing to younger people (under 20) like it used to be?
I know this is for KF but i'd have to agree. To be honest though, i think a lot of that is from the fact that the majority of 'good' battles require prior knowledge of a bunch of shit that happened before these younger people got into what was going on. Its too much effort for something as menial as battle rap for most people.
StankDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #71
averagejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StankDaddy View Post
I know this is for KF but i'd have to agree. To be honest though, i think a lot of that is from the fact that the majority of 'good' battles require prior knowledge of a bunch of shit that happened before these younger people got into what was going on. Its too much effort for something as menial as battle rap for most people.
ouu never looked at it that way

i ask king fly cuz they are gaining subs (battle rap as a whole) and fans but it doesen't seem to be the youngins.. rlly curious if he believes like us battle rap isint appealing to younger people at all (as a concept IMO unlike urs) or if we are just wrong

prob better to ask @AVOCADO opinion cuz he wont take it as an attack but he doesnt like me >.<

one of u answer cuz i just wrote a 10 paragraph rant about judged battles i saved on my desktop...i dont wanna spam

Last edited by averagejoe; 01-12-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #72
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:
@King Fly

i think its losing its appeal to those who have been watching it for years (tbh - i dunno the last time i actually watched a youtube release of a battle), but you could be onto something as well.
here is the ages from 2015 and 2016 - there is an increase of older fans now (everything under 24 years is down - over is up)

King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #73
averagejoe

DAMN our friend delivers..now i gotta go say sorry in the other thread

i been so curious about this for a long time man
interesting to see those numbers

i bet if u grab from 2011 up itll show the core age group just getting older and not getting replenished from the bottom, but rather from the "middle" or "top" same age group as the core or older

i know its irrelevant me even talking about this not like i got a suggestion or anything
but its interesting lol
Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #74
averagejoe

okay kinfly u baited me for my battle rap expertise 2 cents

What I would do: Hire illipsis to tour US highschools to battle rap students/teachers/whoever wanna get it
or hire me, the utube trend expert. I will have big k juju-ing on that beat in hours bruh

Last edited by averagejoe; 01-12-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #75
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
DAMN our friend delivers..now i gotta go say sorry in the other thread

i been so curious about this for a long time man
interesting to see those numbers

i bet if u grab from 2011 up itll show the core age group just getting older and not getting replenished from the bottom, but rather from the "middle" or "top" same age group as the core or older

i know its irrelevant me even talking about this not like i got a suggestion or anything
but its interesting lol
wont let me do 2011 and below for some reason

Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #76
averagejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fly View Post
wont let me do 2011 and below for some reason

sick thx for sharing man thats cool af

lets tell travis about our discovery and we'll get me paid to be ur #trendy guy and attrack the youth

Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #77
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #78
averagejoe

do u think the music was added after or she was actually moving to it
also can u not take advantage of some1s severe a.d.d.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #79
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
do u think the music was added after or she was actually moving to it
also can u not take advantage of some1s severe a.d.d.
hahah poppy>>>>>>
after actually watching it for 5 mins - she was trying to do it to the sounds - you can see her miss a couple timings
Old 01-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #80
averagejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fly View Post
hahah poppy>>>>>>
after actually watching it for 5 mins - she was trying to do it to the sounds - you can see her miss a couple timings
baited u to admitting u actually watched that..ur so weird bruh
mayb thats why i like u

f'real tell ur boss to hire me, im rdy. check my turn around time

Tags
trendy