Forum Home > Text & Audio Battles > Text Battle Discussion
RBL Season 1 Reflection

Old 02-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
KBomb
2dope4you

Mentioned: 1551 Post(s)
KBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICE
RBL Season 1 Reflection

We're going to get the second season popping off here relatively soon, but before we do we want to hear from the Season 1 participants to get some feedback about what they liked/didn't like, changes they'd like to see, suggestions, etc. Post in here about your ideas and feedback for the future of the league!

@The Kurgan @Dank Schrader @Throwback Mike @thatguy @JShazo @Blanco14 @Abrupt @Exenexex @JOBone @WestGotBars @coleowsuz @Ron Jereurghmy @Smokinstein @Deja @The Mage BTM @Scruff McGruff @mirvmirvin @NumberSix @FatManFromSpace @The Chef @Memphis @The Kang @King John @Bobby Bigelow @Letterman @TREY mothafucking DEUCE @Yagerbomb @ckret306 @Juicemw @Brandon Miller @SonnyDaze @DJ Profit

but con go line made a don demarco come out my speakers for no reason

Last edited by KBomb; 02-15-2015 at 12:36 AM.
KBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
Letterman

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Letterman is a PY Poster
Sorry about that no show lol
Letterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Mentioned: 962 Post(s)
Dank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICE
i didnt like losing, lets not let that happen this time round

i thought it was quite weird that i got memphis in the first round though, i dont really follow any sports with play offs, but it felt like i should have faced the worst still renaming, wasnt the play-ins switch, where it was initially 19th vs 20th and it changed to like 13th vs 20th, that to me seemed to give a better advantage to the 13th guy but i felt i (or who ever had come first in the season) should be facing either the 19th or 20th to have the easier path through to the finals, i figured that was how it worked.

im not saying that i wouldnt have battled every week because it was quite nice to have that little sreak going (rip) but it made me feel like im just gonna do the minimum battles this time.

as a suggestion id say scrap the everyone who participates gets a play off spot, losing all your battles or coming with some sub par performances just to say you battled shouldnt be rewarded. play offs should be a win minimum.

maybe a harsher penalty for no shows as well, i got struck by a few and its just annoying

shouts out to kbomb for all the effort thats been puit in and continues to be put in, and shouts to everyone who participated
MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Dank Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #4
KBomb
2dope4you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
i thought it was quite weird that i got memphis in the first round though, i dont really follow any sports with play offs, but it felt like i should have faced the worst still renaming, wasnt the play-ins switch, where it was initially 19th vs 20th and it changed to like 13th vs 20th, that to me seemed to give a better advantage to the 13th guy but i felt i (or who ever had come first in the season) should be facing either the 19th or 20th to have the easier path through to the finals, i figured that was how it worked.

im not saying that i wouldnt have battled every week because it was quite nice to have that little sreak going (rip) but it made me feel like im just gonna do the minimum battles this time.

as a suggestion id say scrap the everyone who participates gets a play off spot, losing all your battles or coming with some sub par performances just to say you battled shouldnt be rewarded. play offs should be a win minimum.

maybe a harsher penalty for no shows as well, i got struck by a few and its just annoying
the first round of the playoffs was a total fuck up and it was 100% my fault. i messed up the bracket ranking the first two rounds because i thought i knew how to do it and i totally didnt so that was absolutely on me and it wont happen again, my apologies.

the playoff structure is going to change, we're still hammering it out but not everyone who meets a minimum is going to automatically make it this time around

and i like the suggestion for the no show penalty, certainly something we will look into because i agree that its really shitty for people who consistently bring their A game every week to have to put up with

Old 02-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #5
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1466 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:

because when you plan a bracket you expect the higher seed to win, so you got the winner of the 16/17 match up because 16 was the lowest expected winner. the 20th seed isn't expected to advance... and the 20th seed didn't, either, you would've faced the 13th seed instead
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:51 AM   #6
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Dank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
because when you plan a bracket you expect the higher seed to win, so you got the winner of the 16/17 match up because 16 was the lowest expected winner. the 20th seed isn't expected to advance... and the 20th seed didn't, either, you would've faced the 13th seed instead
ah ok that makes sense, i think it was just because it first dropped with the lowest 2 facing each other i assumed that was how it should be

if this shit was football id be champ...you americans and your playing offs
MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Old 02-15-2015, 03:17 AM   #7
The Kurgan

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
The Kurgan is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kurgan is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kurgan is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I was going full throttle at the time, but in hindsight, the pre-season didn't particularly matter much.

If season 2 follows the same structure, any Supa Hawt Fire I (or anyone) writes, will probably just be tucked away until the play-offs, where it'll be more appreciated and meaningful.

I think themed pre-season rounds could go some way to alleviating this. Like one week of nameflips only, or a week of writing in the same rhyme scheme, or movie bars, or whatever, idk. Force people to write conceptually (to an extent) and the material is usually too specific or tailored to be used verbatim elsewhere. Plus it'd change things up a bit, and make the pre-season more fun/worthwhile.

Also the RBL champ should get a uniquely coloured name.

Otherwise, I thought season 1 was great fun, and very well organised.
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:56 AM   #8
KBomb
2dope4you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
I was going full throttle at the time, but in hindsight, the pre-season didn't particularly matter much.

If season 2 follows the same structure, any Supa Hawt Fire I (or anyone) writes, will probably just be tucked away until the play-offs, where it'll be more appreciated and meaningful.

I think themed pre-season rounds could go some way to alleviating this. Like one week of nameflips only, or a week of writing in the same rhyme scheme, or movie bars, or whatever, idk. Force people to write conceptually (to an extent) and the material is usually too specific or tailored to be used verbatim elsewhere. Plus it'd change things up a bit, and make the pre-season more fun/worthwhile.

Also the RBL champ should get a uniquely coloured name.

Otherwise, I thought season 1 was great fun, and very well organised.
i know what you mean about the pre season, going 100% didnt matter much last season but we're making changes this time in this vein. nothing written in stone yet, but of the idea that those with the best records have guaranteed spots in the post season and those with losing records might not make it, even if they meet the minimum number of battles.

themed battles are definitely a good idea, something i wanted to incorporate last season but i had my hands full as it was so i'd like to implement it this time around for sure.

will look into unique ways to identify a champion as well, good lookin out

Old 02-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Prelec
kevin

Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
Prelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICE
What about you do it just like in the world cup

Groups of four and they all battle each other and the two with the highest score avance to the knockout fase
Prelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Prelec
kevin

Prelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICE
Or groups of 8 idc
Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 943 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
First off, you da man @KBomb. Keep up the good work here.

Some ideas I have for Season 2...

-Shorten the regular season. Similar to what @Abrupt said, one way to do this is put battlers in groups of 6, have everyone battle each other once, and then have the top 4 advance, with the chance for the winner of the division to get a bye or double bye in the play-offs.

-Also perhaps, create a point system for the regular season. For example, a win = 3 points. A loss = 0 points. A no-show loss = -2 points.

-Create some type of incentive for winning the league. Whether that's a small cash prize, a free VIP membership, a free PPV for an upcoming event- or even all of these things put into some type of package. I would've approached the Championship match against Throwback Mike much differently if there was anything on the line aside from pride.

-Find ways to keep things competitive every match. Whether that's by introducing a subjective ranking system (RBL Top 10) that battlers would re-vote on every week or so. Or maybe introduce some type of promotion/relegation system. (At the end of the season the top _ battlers advance to Division 1 RBL and the bottom _ battlers advance to Division 2 RBL for the following season).

Season 1 was a success but there's still a whole lot of room for growth.

One.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
JShazo

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
JShazo is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJShazo is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJShazo is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJShazo is better than Grind Time Antarctica
lets get it poppin. twillight bars every battle
Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Og Smokinstein
Deathstro da great

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Og Smokinstein is better than Grind Time AustraliaOg Smokinstein is better than Grind Time Australia
First off, good shit @KBomb.. On season 1, we all knew going into this, this was a learning process. But I think u did we'll for the first go around.

I was feeling kurgan, idea about some of the weeks being concepts/themed battles.
That would spice shit up a bit and keep niggas on there toes.
I also say like... Do bar of the week, body bag of the week(something of that nature)
I say the usage of judges should be increased. ( if u find can some muthafuccas)
For no-shows, the penalties should be increased to..
1st offense-point deduction.
2nd offense -point deduction & a lose for the next battle.
3rd. Banned to next season.

Idk was jus on some high shit thinking....

You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on a drug
Especially when itís waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye"- Raoul Duke
Og Smokinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
KBomb
2dope4you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinstein View Post
First off, good shit @KBomb.. On season 1, we all knew going into this, this was a learning process. But I think u did we'll for the first go around.

I was feeling kurgan, idea about some of the weeks being concepts/themed battles.
That would spice shit up a bit and keep niggas on there toes.
I also say like... Do bar of the week, body bag of the week(something of that nature)
I say the usage of judges should be increased. ( if u find can some muthafuccas)
For no-shows, the penalties should be increased to..
1st offense-point deduction.
2nd offense -point deduction & a lose for the next battle.
3rd. Banned to next season.

Idk was jus on some high shit thinking....
lot of good ideas here. we definitely want to do a weekly magazine type of thing that highlights bars of the week, bodybags, best battle, etc, problem is that i cant do all that myself so we would need someone to help out.

the judging thing is pretty much stuck with needing to let participants each week vote on battles. otherwise we wouldnt get many people voting unfortunately, bringing in outsiders to read ~10 battles a week just isnt feasible

and finally we're definitely going to be cracking down on no shows harder. people who no showed multiple times should get in more trouble than a one time offender

Old 02-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Og Smokinstein
Deathstro da great

Og Smokinstein is better than Grind Time AustraliaOg Smokinstein is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomb View Post
lot of good ideas here. we definitely want to do a weekly magazine type of thing that highlights bars of the week, bodybags, best battle, etc, problem is that i cant do all that myself so we would need someone to help out.

the judging thing is pretty much stuck with needing to let participants each week vote on battles. otherwise we wouldnt get many people voting unfortunately, bringing in outsiders to read ~10 battles a week just isnt feasible

and finally we're definitely going to be cracking down on no shows harder. people who no showed multiple times should get in more trouble than a one time offender
Yea.. I figure the judging aspect of things, was a no go.(had to say it tho)
I'm pretty sure some of these guys would help y'all out.
I'll help in any way I can, I jus have below average computer skills.
So I don't know how much of a help I could be.

Especially when itís waving a razor-sharp hunting knife in your eye"- Raoul Duke
Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #16
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2902 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
I like the group idea a lot. Should we do seeding for the group so we don't end up with all heavy weights in one group? Would people be okay if KBomb and I decided on these with rankings in mind, or just based on rankings and anyone new ends up without any points? Botton tier for the draw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #17
Og Smokinstein
Deathstro da great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
I like the group idea a lot. Should we do seeding for the group so we don't end up with all heavy weights in one group? Would people be okay if KBomb and I decided on these with rankings in mind, or just based on rankings and anyone new ends up without any points? Botton tier for the draw?
I think y'all should decide on the rankings. The group idea is dope and would workout better. Otherwise someone would get my schedule from last season.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #18
FatManFromSpace
Twinkie Madness

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
FatManFromSpace is better than Grind Time AustraliaFatManFromSpace is better than Grind Time AustraliaFatManFromSpace is better than Grind Time Australia
I shouldn't do as many battles. or at least plan better. I'd write shit roughly an hour before and it could be good or really bad

cuz i have always suspected that
FatManFromSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

Mentioned: 806 Post(s)
Throwback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Yo... Abrupt's group idea is fire. That needs to happen. I'm not really sure how that would work with scheduling though. It seems like people would have to battle every week to make the matches line up. And everyone who wants to participate would have to get involved before week one if it's gonna be a round robin. I don't really have a problem with that personally, but there would be much less flexibility and fewer opportunities for new people to get involved.

I also like the idea of highlighting the best bars, battles, and individual performances every week. Between that and the group format, there should be some extra motivation for people who otherwise don't see much point in the regular season.

As far as the playoffs, I think the single elimination tournament style is the only thing that makes sense, so there's nothing I would really change there--except that only the top however so many from a group should advance to this stage. There shouldn't need to be any special incentive for the champion or anything like that either. I don't see why anyone would need extra motivation when it gets to that point.

Last edited by Throwback Mike; 02-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Throwback Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

Mentioned: 806 Post(s)
Throwback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I should also say that I'm not really a fan of themed battles in something like this--especially if we run with the group idea. Mixing themed battles in would totally throw off the entire premise of the setup. There wouldn't be an equal opportunity to prove who's the best in the group if the battles aren't all based on a standard format.

Last edited by Throwback Mike; 02-16-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Throwback Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
Memphis
Coon

Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Memphis is not the worst person
One thing I didn't like was when a person no showed the guy that did show up bars were still posted which were pretty much a waste of somewhat good bars that could've been saved for another opponent the next week

I think It was dank (don't quote me on this) that had a lot of no show opponents and yet Danks bars were still posted my personally I don't think that's fair and would like to see that change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #22
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
One thing I didn't like was when a person no showed the guy that did show up bars were still posted which were pretty much a waste of somewhat good bars that could've been saved for another opponent the next week

I think It was dank (don't quote me on this) that had a lot of no show opponents and yet Danks bars were still posted my personally I don't think that's fair and would like to see that change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah it was me

i wasnt too bothered at the time, posting the verse just shows that i did write, but i think if think had worked out differently there could have been a point where i would have faced cole in the playoffs and it would have been pretty shitty that i had already dropped a verse for him and so most of my good flips and ideas were already out there and kinda wasted.
MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Old 02-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #23
Prelec
kevin

@Seanzo If you put all the heavyweights in one group that its gonna be alot of exciting matchups and it keeps the competition spirit in the league(also works with the middle/lower tiers

Becuase if you would put for instance 2 lower weights and 4 heavyweights in 1 group then its pretty much pre-decided who will advance to the next round nahmsayin
Old 02-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #24
thatguy

Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
thatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
yeah it was me

i wasnt too bothered at the time, posting the verse just shows that i did write, but i think if think had worked out differently there could have been a point where i would have faced cole in the playoffs and it would have been pretty shitty that i had already dropped a verse for him and so most of my good flips and ideas were already out there and kinda wasted.
true. Also, I always try to check and vote on every RBL battle I can... but if I am short on time, the one with the no show is the first one to get 'not read' pretty much every time for me if im being honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Dizaster is my most favorite battle rapper of all time.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #25
KBomb
2dope4you

seems like people are fucking with the group idea pretty heavy. would you prefer that the mods make rankings of the battlers that sign up and place them in the groups ourselves our completely randomize it?

also if we do the group thing then thats a pretty big commitment from people that sign up, it pretty guarantees a minimum of 6 battles if we make that the new minimum for entry into the post season

Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #26
JShazo

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
JShazo is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJShazo is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJShazo is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJShazo is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomb View Post
seems like people are fucking with the group idea pretty heavy. would you prefer that the mods make rankings of the battlers that sign up and place them in the groups ourselves our completely randomize it?

also if we do the group thing then thats a pretty big commitment from people that sign up, it pretty guarantees a minimum of 6 battles if we make that the new minimum for entry into the post season
mods should do ranking imo
Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #27
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Yeah groups with mod ranking would work best
MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #28
thatguy

Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
thatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I would say as keep the group stages, early playoffs low key in terms of advertising to the rest of the board, just accept that voting will be kinda low outside of those competing, then at the end of the season put together a small card like 4-6 battles showcasing textbattles best matchups with the RBL finals being the main event and advertise that.

We want people to vote because they are interested, not because they are doin a favour and we can't really be askin people to give a fuck about all these battles. Not talkin about myself here, if you tag me in any battle ill do my best to vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Dizaster is my most favorite battle rapper of all time.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote