Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
the current method of time limits is stupid.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
the current method of time limits is stupid.

the "timekeeper" - has anyone stepped back and realized how stupid it is to have one of these? do you know what a timekeeper is in every day life? a clock. a clock is a timekeeper. want to know why no one gets upset at clocks? because all they do is measure time.

the current 'timekeepers' are people holding a clock. you're introducing wildly unnecessary human error to something that is inarguable, that being the fact that 3 minutes is 3 minutes long.

watch these battles:

want to know why there were never arguments as something so inane as time limits in these? because they were actual time limits. you could see the time on the screen. a buzzer sounded at the end of it. why did we get rid of something as simple as that? what was the point?

the way it currently is, only ONE person in the room is keeping track of time. if a buzzer that goes off after 3 minutes sounds and the person keeps going, they are clearly breaking the time limits. there is nothing to argue. there were x amount of minutes to put their round in, and now it's over. if they stop their round short, we all recognize it.

who benefits with the way it currently is set up? malathion?

the other problem is that "time limits" are more like "time hopeful expectations". 90 second rounds are an ideal, not what anyone actual expects to go down. if instead of saying, "hey, both of you try to plan both of your rounds to be 90 seconds down to the second... but if you go over a little bit, it's okay... but not TOO much!" you said "hey, if your round hits 3 minutes, it's getting cut off," then there's an actual line in the sand that can't be crossed.

and 3 rounds of ACTUAL 3 minute rounds is 18 minutes long. isn't that around what everyone likes?
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
BattleRapChris
Media

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
BattleRapChris is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattleRapChris is better than Grind Time Australia
Thoughts on accounting for crowd reaction?

Complete "Born Legacy 2" coverage

Complete "Blackout 6" coverage

Complete 2015 In Review coverage

Twitter -> @BattleRapChris
BattleRapChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
riffic
RYD ;

riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRapChris View Post
it's why you'd do 3 minutes if your ideal is 90 seconds-2 minutes

and hey, maybe if there's actual time limits it'll teach the crowd to shut up and let the rappers rap sometimes. gives them some actual accountability.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Old 08-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
riffic
RYD ;

like yeah, you can bring Team Homi to scream after every 4 bars for you, but it means you're going to rap 8 bars
Quote:
Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
haha first two paragraphs cracked me up.

I kind of agree. It'd be annoying though, just for me as a fan watching at home, if a round I was enjoying got cut off early because the crowd reacted so much. There are times where those long reactions are justified and add to the round aswell.

I'd like to see somebody try it for an event though, hard to tell how well it would work now that people are used to it being somebody they can just ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Marcus

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Marcus is better than Grind Time AustraliaMarcus is better than Grind Time Australia
Reps on deck!! Does rapping longer/more content translate to winning the round??
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
there should be a time limit and then about 30-40 seconds leeway for crowd reaction as such that would work
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
haha first two paragraphs cracked me up.

I kind of agree. It'd be annoying though, just for me as a fan watching at home, if a round I was enjoying got cut off early because the crowd reacted so much. There are times where those long reactions are justified and add to the round aswell.

I'd like to see somebody try it for an event though, hard to tell how well it would work now that people are used to it being somebody they can just ignore.
that's just the way she goes. personally I'd rather want more than want less... and when you start bending constraints to account for unpredictable things like crowd reaction, the less regulated and more angrily debated it will become
Quote:
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
LukeWaltonisGoat

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRapChris View Post
"Stop my time... Alex, Stop my time" Joe budden voice*
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you are the sturdy femurs that keep this forum upright

@I am LIL ILL is the heart
LukeWaltonisGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
LukeWaltonisGoat

LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
Also agree with op another point semi-related is that this over reacting/gassing all of these punches is fucking up a lot of battles... Rappers don't really get to flow through certain schemes and rhyme patterns all the way... Enforcing the time limit a little stricter calms the crowd and makes the rapper have to actually get through his shit vs 4 bars punch pause repeat
Quote:

Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
Also agree with op another point semi-related is that this over reacting/gassing all of these punches is fucking up a lot of battles... Rappers don't really get to flow through certain schemes and rhyme patterns all the way... Enforcing the time limit a little stricter calms the crowd and makes the rapper have to actually get through his shit vs 4 bars punch pause repeat
I think some of that falls on the rappers too. Sometimes they'll wait hella long before jumping back into their material, and I'm not on the stage, so maybe I'm wrong about this, but I believe if they kept rapping through the reaction it would train the crowd to shut up so they could hear what's being said. I think lot of rappers like the applause breaks too much to do this tho.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
TigerShark

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
TigerShark is not the worst person
OP wants Malathion to become unemployed and homeless.
TigerShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
LukeWaltonisGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
I think some of that falls on the rappers too. Sometimes they'll wait hella long before jumping back into their material, and I'm not on the stage, so maybe I'm wrong about this, but I believe if they kept rapping through the reaction it would train the crowd to shut up so they could hear what's being said. I think lot of rappers like the applause breaks too much to do this tho.
I agree 100% it's an art to be able to control the crowd i think the best examples of that are Daylyt against B-Magic and Calicoe's performance against Tay roc..

If you notice Cal and Day only got reaction on the bars they wanted reaction on.. I think they flowed through the shit really well because of it...

So I definitely agree it does fall on the battlers but I feel with a time limit it actually kind of forces the battles to control the crowd which id like to see vs the crowd just going crazy after shit that's light
Quote:

Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #14
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
time limits should be elastic

90 second limits should mean "end your round within 30 seconds seconds of 90 seconds, whether that be in 60 or in 2 minutes" and if you're getting crowd reaction, you need to extend the limits and let them cook because the entertainment value doesn't come from the consistency of the product's structure -- it comes from the consistency of the performers and how well they're going to put on a replayable show for the fans

bigg k vs cortez was near ruined by a 90 second limit, and it shows because K barely wrote for it. what pisses me off is that the bunker's a private fucking building -- time limits are instilled to make sure you fit the time slot of what you rented from a building owner/to not drag a battle out... but 90 seconds? are you serious? you're putting one of the best long-round perfectionists against someone who can amount about a minute of crowd reaction a round, and you're going to slap a minute and a half on that? ridiculous. only encourages poor writing and a minimum.

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
thanks for making this post @riffic

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #16
ux9 u so fine

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
ux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australiaux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australia
eh I disagree .... crowd reaction etc
#amilyin?, deathtothehebs, #stormfrontiskkkotd, #youknowheistryingtokillhegoodchristainwhitemansup rise, #turnerdiaries, #14/88, #negronazi, #antonlavey #charlesmansonandnicholasshrek, #whitepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Just came in here to say nigger and see if I get banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEEZY View Post
Don't drink n post kids
ux9 u so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #17
thatguy

Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
thatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine View Post
eh I disagree ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Dizaster is my most favorite battle rapper of all time.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #18
Sky2real

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Sky2real is better than Grind Time AustraliaSky2real is better than Grind Time Australia
If they brought the actual buzzer back, it might reinvigorate URL. No more 3 minute crowd reaction. Good post
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #19
Sky2real

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Sky2real is better than Grind Time AustraliaSky2real is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
instantly thought of aye verb
Old 08-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #20
Profess

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Last time I recall seeing a time clock in a battle was in the UFF thing on BET. I actually disliked it because it hurt the flow of the matches (with a bigger crowd this would be different). Anyway, I actually didn't think Cortez' going overtime was egregious, but still, if someone gets a reputation for "cheating" will people still want to battle them?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #21
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
i agree what you're proposing is ideal.

that said, you gotta look at the environments those battles went down in. both fairly small rooms, with "the heads" in the crowd. when i refer to the heads i mean people who actually wanna hear the bars and give appropriate reactions. not gonna blow their load for a good bar, but they'll give it an adequate "mmmm" showing their approval.

nowadays you got 700 people in a venue, 200 of which don't really watch battles, 200 who are unseasoned. so those people kinda just react to whatever and go crazy, either cause they're drunk or it makes it more fun for them to be there. it's more of a club/party atmosphere than it used to be, which naturally results in noise.

the culture also shifted...at a certain point it was deemed disrespectful or in bad form to not react. it was deemed the polite thing to do. "SHOW SOME LOVE" "MAKE SOME NOISE!". At first that was okay...people started just politely ooooing at average bars...but then you gotta separate those from the great bars, which previously would have received the oooooo's. so now you gotta jump around and throw hats and shit when people have a great bar. then that cycle repeats a few times and suddenly Tay Roc and Surf saying "After the shot" ends up in a 3 hour reaction and the event has to be postponed.

i think what you're proposing works well in bunker situations, and one off type deals (ie. JC/Chilla). but the big room shit is only gonna get worse sadly.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #22
gregrieke20
Media

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
gregrieke20 is not the worst person
Quote:
the "timekeeper" - has anyone stepped back and realized how stupid it is to have one of these? do you know what a timekeeper is in every day life? a clock. a clock is a timekeeper. want to know why no one gets upset at clocks? because all they do is measure time.

the current 'timekeepers' are people holding a clock. you're introducing wildly unnecessary human error to something that is inarguable, that being the fact that 3 minutes is 3 minutes long.
It's so funny I remember even thinking back in the grind time days with Plex Rock (disclaimer: I'm sure Plex Rock is a perfectly sweet, funny, nice, good person) like "why is this guy there?" lol. Like if he's not gonna cut it off right at the time, what's the point? A clock is the greatest timekeeper of all time. Better than Plex Rock. Better than International P. Better than Malathon. Clock is the GOAT.

And I understand the crowd reaction thing, but if you wanna make an omelet you gotta break a few eggs. Just make it 2 or 3 or 4 minute or whatever time rounds the battlers agree on, put a horn at the end, and be done with it for god's sake.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #23
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
wwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Guys I have an idea get ready for it
wwjjddd? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #24
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
yes, Malathion benefits

what else is there to know
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #25
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

wwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarctica
You know how in soccer/futbol they have injury/stoppage time? What if... say like at the Bunker they had a live clock. AND ANOTHER live clock beside it. Locatated where everyone could see. Clock on left is regular time clock. Counts down from 90 seconds or 3 minutes or whatever the limit is. Clock directly to the right starts at 0 and counts up. This clock records the exact amount of time the battler has to stop due to crowd reaction, an interruption, ect. When the clock on left runs down to 0 it begins counting down from whatever the total amount of stoppage/injury time maxed out at. And clock on left drops back down to 0. Repeat.
@BattleRapChris this idea is gonna make you so much $$$$$$$
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #26
THINKaboutIT
Norman Smiley

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
THINKaboutIT is not the worst person
Excellent thread and couldn't agree more. The job of timekeeper needs to go.

What they might consider doing, if the rounds are 3 minutes rounds, have a clacker go off at the 3 minute mark, from this point, they have 30 seconds to finish off their round. If they havent finished rapping after the 30 seconds has elapsed, the buzzer sounds and the round is over.

Regardless, Malathion adds a degree of cheesiness to battles that really doesn't need to be there. What's wrong with Organik, or whoever else is hosting, to cut them off if they are going over time.

THINKaboutIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #27
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

I'd like these 2 clocks I've suggested to be the eyeballs in a giant portrait of Malathion's smiling face
Old 08-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #28
gregrieke20
Media

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
gregrieke20 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKaboutIT View Post
Excellent thread and couldn't agree more. The job of timekeeper needs to go.

What they might consider doing, if the rounds are 3 minutes rounds, have a clacker go off at the 3 minute mark, from this point, they have 30 seconds to finish off their round. If they havent finished rapping after the 30 seconds has elapsed, the buzzer sounds and the round is over.
I think this is a good idea, but rather than have the clacker at 3 minutes (end of the round) have it go off with 30 seconds left in the round (like the 10 seconds remaining they do in boxing) that way it can still be a concrete 3 minutes that can end with the horn, bell, etc. while still giving the rapper warning his round is going to end.

wwjjd's idea is good and seems like it could work, but for some reason the idea of it actually going into affect annoys me lol.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #29
Soda Popinski
Bitches Love Soda

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Soda Popinski is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKaboutIT View Post
mmmmmmmmmm....
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #30
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
I believe if they kept rapping through the reaction it would train the crowd to shut up so they could hear what's being said.
This + what riffic said in the op have been a main problem me and a friend of mine have been having with battle rap for some years now
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #31
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
nowadays you got 700 people in a venue, 200 of which don't really watch battles, 200 who are unseasoned. so those people kinda just react to whatever and go crazy, either cause they're drunk or it makes it more fun for them to be there. it's more of a club/party atmosphere than it used to be, which naturally results in noise.

the culture also shifted...at a certain point it was deemed disrespectful or in bad form to not react. it was deemed the polite thing to do. "SHOW SOME LOVE" "MAKE SOME NOISE!". At first that was okay...people started just politely ooooing at average bars...but then you gotta separate those from the great bars, which previously would have received the oooooo's. so now you gotta jump around and throw hats and shit when people have a great bar. then that cycle repeats a few times and suddenly Tay Roc and Surf saying "After the shot" ends up in a 3 hour reaction and the event has to be postponed.

i think what you're proposing works well in bunker situations, and one off type deals (ie. JC/Chilla). but the big room shit is only gonna get worse sadly.
only because the events are catered to the this-event-is-about-my-voice lowest common denominator. they have no reason to shut up. the performers tell them to wake up, to get hype, etc., because it's not like any material is going to be cut off. if there's an enforced amount of time - say it's 5 minutes for major events - that the rapper knows they need to get their material out in, then they have to weigh the crowd reaction versus getting their material in. plus, the less brain-dead crowd members have incentive to get people to stop screaming into their over priced glass of vodka.

and hey, maybe the MC will have to learn how to control the crowd. kinda off-the-wall concept.
Quote:
Old 08-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #32
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKaboutIT
this is cool. maybe a flashing light instead of a noise so that you don't interrupt the performer's voice.
Quote:
Old 08-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #33
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Quote:
only because the events are catered to the this-event-is-about-my-voice lowest common denominator. they have no reason to shut up. the performers tell them to wake up, to get hype, etc., because it's not like any material is going to be cut off. if there's an enforced amount of time - say it's 5 minutes for major events - that the rapper knows they need to get their material out in, then they have to weigh the crowd reaction versus getting their material in. plus, the less brain-dead crowd members have incentive to get people to stop screaming into their over priced glass of vodka.

and hey, maybe the MC will have to learn how to control the crowd. kinda off-the-wall concept.

that's true.

i guess it only really impacts the first couple battles anyway.

every toronto event i go to, bishop and ganik personally start kicking out people that talk after the first round pops off.

i got 200 bucks on organik doing his "talk and get kicked out" speech more times than he says "ayo" this weekend.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #34
Ampersand

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Ampersand is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
there should be a time limit and then about 30-40 seconds leeway for crowd reaction as such that would work
^ this, they could do a stoppage time system like soccer I guess where they add time at the end based on reaction. Wouldn't work with a buzzer though , tough to get back on track after being gonged .
Old 08-25-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1285 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I actually agree with the premise of this thread. The horns cutting off battlers used to make their verse 10x better
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #36
averagejoe

Mentioned: 1159 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
The rappers bully staff into doing wut they want tho so would it change, (kotd)
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #37
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrieke20 View Post
I think this is a good idea, but rather than have the clacker at 3 minutes (end of the round) have it go off with 30 seconds left in the round (like the 10 seconds remaining they do in boxing) that way it can still be a concrete 3 minutes that can end with the horn, bell, etc. while still giving the rapper warning his round is going to end.

wwjjd's idea is good and seems like it could work, but for some reason the idea of it actually going into affect annoys me lol.
Thank you for being the only nutdog to consign my top tier idea
Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 AM   #38
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
I actually agree with the premise of this thread. The horns cutting off battlers used to make their verse 10x better
i wonder what hollow was gonna do to big t's pregnant wife and a daughter thats 3
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:16 AM   #39
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
Definitely part of the reason why I enjoyed UFF more than anything else in its era.

Also, who cares about crowd reaction. Their reactions will get shorter once they realized the consequences, and it would require more skill from a battler to end their round appropriately, like in the pre-slogan era.

The current system incentivizes jamming as many punchlines and wordplay setups into the rounds as possible to maximize crowd reaction, and doesn't give much reason to focus on flow and/or rhyme structure. Doesn't mean that every established battler follows that blueprint (or that they shouldn't because some are great at it), but it does kinda seem like a lot of the PG guys at URL do the same thing.

No need to get rid of the "human timer" method though since I think it's a different type of battle. I think just like how time limits are negotiated and agreed upon by the battlers, the "clock" method could be agreed upon as well. Though if everyone rejects it, maybe look into mandating it occasionally, or at least having an event with just clocked battles (though that's obviously not a strong enough theme to market by itself).

EDIT: A new battle rap, non-battler specific topic in 2016, that's extremely impressive.
GetPaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 AM   #40
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia

1:10 and 3:30

lolololol
JC
All Day is offline   Reply With Quote