Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
KOTD's PPV: Sigh

Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 AM   #1
ThisIsBattleRap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThisIsBattleRap is not the worst person
KOTD's PPV: Sigh

KOTD's PPV will continue to get less than 1000 PPV sales every event, because of a lack of promotion.

Kinglfy has even stated on TalkShit, that KOTD's PPV brings in 1/1000th of their subscriber base. For the WD5 PPV, there were around 400 or so people, voting on the polls. Even if you x2 that number.. 800 buys out of a 500k subscriber base is pretty pathetic.

KOTD aren't promoting their PPV to the best of their ability. If that's a main stream of revenue for them, they should be promoting that they do PPV's, EVERYWHERE. CONSTANTLY ON Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and on EVERY VIDEO THEY UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE. Whether it be before/after battles, every king has a story series, whatever video it is they need to be promoting PPV's every time. I bet some of their casual fans don't even know they do PPV's but if they saw it promoted on every video, they might get the memo.

Step your promoting game up KOTD

-

To be honest most leagues marketing game is just gahbage in general. How many hip hop blogs, websites, podcasts, social networks, radio shows, that are outside of battle rap, do they reach out to on the daily, to try increase brand awareness? I'm guessing zero. Do they even know their target market? These leagues think they've made it & don't need to do that type of shit, but if they took promotion & marketing seriously their brand could be so much bigger. Sigh

Last edited by ThisIsBattleRap; 09-05-2016 at 03:59 AM.
ThisIsBattleRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
pityposter
aka ekelon

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
pityposter User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
I remember everyone talking about URL's ppv Clips vs Lux making over a million dollars but the ppv stats site didn't even have a thousand visitors

Bootlegging takes a major chunk out of sales, but kotd is doing alot better than its competition...tour busses, owned venues and all
Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Profess

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
There is another thread about their web site. Fixing the sign in so people who have already bought dont have to sign up again would probably help. That said, what is your background with marketing OP?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
ThisIsBattleRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
There is another thread about their web site. Fixing the sign in so people who have already bought dont have to sign up again would probably help. That said, what is your background with marketing OP?
I have a degree in Business Management with marketing
Old 09-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #5
Tyren

Tyren is not the worst person
Any proof on there numbers?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Tyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
ToddMargaret

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
ToddMargaret is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyren View Post
Any proof on there numbers?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

this, this thread is kinda pointless since we dont really know how much they sell
ToddMargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Battlehogg

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
It makes you wonder how they are even making money? even if they do sell 1000 ppv's that's only 30k. There didn't appear to be that many people at the event either so I doubt they be caking it off ticket sales. With all the costs of throwing an event of that magnitude (flights, hotels, venue, security, paying the battlers etc) Surely they cant be making that much of a profit.

They did do a pretty poor job of marketing the world dom ppv.Theres still a banner up here for the last bunker event and those battles have already dropped on youtube. Aint nobody still copping the ppv for that
Battlehogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
Gotta love these threads. Such great advice to, "promote better" ��������

The fact of the matter is, the bootleg kills it. If there were no access to bootlegs, everyone would cop. They'd be in the 15,000 range of PPV buys
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Breakneck
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Breakneck is better than Grind Time AustraliaBreakneck is better than Grind Time Australia
They also get money from sponsors , YouTube , and sell a ton of merch. I mean PPV and door money is probably their big ticket but that's not the only ways they make money.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
Battlehogg

Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakneck View Post
They also get money from sponsors , YouTube , and sell a ton of merch. I mean PPV and door money is probably their big ticket but that's not the only ways they make money.
I doubt they sell that much merch and they wouldn't be making that much off youtube views
Battlehogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
Profess

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBattleRap View Post
I'm not surprised. Good shit. Sounds like you have a lot to offer the kotd team. I hope it comes across that way to everyone but you might not have time to really help them. My advice is if this comes up again is to focus on how you've bumped #s up in the past and continue focusing on what specifically they could try and chill on criticizing them.. You're not wrong but sometimes they can be sensitive. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
ThisIsBattleRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
I'm not surprised. Good shit. Sounds like you have a lot to offer the kotd team. I hope it comes across that way to everyone but you might not have time to really help them. My advice is if this comes up again is to focus on how you've bumped #s up in the past and continue focusing on what specifically they could try and chill on criticizing them.. You're not wrong but sometimes they can be sensitive. Good luck.
Im a big KOTD fan, I'm not trying to bash them sorry if it comes across like that! My bad I am just very interested in the business side of things in battle rap & from the outside looking in, I see many ways leagues can improve their strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Gotta love these threads. Such great advice to, "promote better" ��������
Haha 'step your promo game up' is a lil vague, I agree! But if I wanted to go into detail, my original post would be 3 pages long. Just using the social media platforms as an example, each one has a different demographic & each one requires different content to engage that demographic. Instagram/Snapchat is used mostly by the younger generation (90% of Instagram users are in the 18-34 age bracket), so KOTD's content on Instagram/Snapchat should be geared towards engaging younger fans. Twitter, is a great platform for GIFS/Live updates/opinions on current events. (Many businesses post banter & memes on twitter to engage their audience.. and it works). Facebook is a great platform for sharing content, short videos, & engaging with fans via facebook live. So each social media platform can be used differently to promote a PPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
The fact of the matter is, the bootleg kills it. If there were no access to bootlegs, everyone would cop. They'd be in the 15,000 range of PPV buys
Yes, PPV's will be bootlegged no matter what. But through better promotion, they can gain a higher number of LOYAL consumers, who would rather buy the PPV than watch the bootleg, becuase they are LOYAL. Brand loyalty comes through marketing & promotion & consumer reward & satisfaction. But again that topic is difficult to condense into a few posts.

Last edited by ThisIsBattleRap; 09-05-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBattleRap View Post
have u manged a business more successfully ??????

gimme some tips for my shit
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #14
Jaybird

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Jaybird is not the worst person
There's always more people willing to consume a free thing. Who here would be posting if it suddenly cost a one time payment of 10 bucks?
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I think KOTD does pretty well with their promo. Battle rap is an un-perfected lane where you can't really follow any blueprint. I think the closest would be to emulate wrestling promo, which I find to be the most effective.

I'd just like to see more press conferences like UW did with Surf/Calicoe etc:

Hopefully now that UW is inactive they'll take this idea because it was the best hype-building I've ever seen in battle rap
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
rogermellie

rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
I think KOTD does pretty well with their promo. Battle rap is an un-perfected lane where you can't really follow any blueprint. I think the closest would be to emulate wrestling promo, which I find to be the most effective.

I'd just like to see more press conferences like UW did with Surf/Calicoe etc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augYN9Bn0pg

Hopefully now that UW is inactive they'll take this idea because it was the best hype-building I've ever seen in battle rap
I did like those, they were pretty funny. I'm not sure it would work for KOTD though, imagine how awkward it could be watching Charoon doing one of these.

Like remember those videos of the battlers talking shit about each other they had on the first Blackout event, those are all hilarious for the wrong reasons and some of the cheesiest shit I have ever seen in any battle rap video.
If you're the type to skip an intro or just didn't pick up on it, I urge everyone to go back and watch the Pat Stay vs Math intro. It's actually, hilarious. The cracked pictures, the candles, the overly dramatic music, "when them lights go out" it's pretty amazing.

skip to @2:30

Infact @AVOCADO bring that shit back
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.

Last edited by rogermellie; 09-05-2016 at 06:17 PM.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #17
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
I did like those, they were pretty funny. I'm not sure it would work for KOTD though, imagine how awkward it could be watching Charoon doing one of these.

Like remember those videos of the battlers talking shit about each other they had on the first Blackout event, those are all hilarious for the wrong reasons and some of the cheesiest shit I have ever seen in any battle rap video.
If you're the type to skip an intro or just didn't pick up on it, I urge everyone to go back and watch the Pat Stay vs Math intro. It's actually, hilarious. The cracked pictures, the candles, the overly dramatic music, "when them lights go out" it's pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfh8SOILiM

skip to @2:30

Infact @AVOCADO bring that shit back
haha well that's a bit different from what I meant. I was referencing face to face kinda stuff, and obviously some battle rappers would excel more in that format than others tbh

still worth doing for some of the lesser hyped battles imo. It'd be kinda cool for GZ battlers to do it
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
rogermellie

rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
haha well that's a bit different from what I meant. I was referencing face to face kinda stuff, and obviously some battle rappers would excel more in that format than others tbh

still worth doing for some of the lesser hyped battles imo. It'd be kinda cool for GZ battlers to do it
Yeah I went off on a Math vs Pat intro tangent there. I would like to see them do it whether it's awkward or not, it'll probably be entertaining.

I just remembered that URL did do something like this for Rookies vs Vets called In the Studio Series

They were pretty funny and hyped the battles well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #19
Water Mage

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
THe problem is not lack of promotion, the problem is that battle rap is not growing in popularity and the fanbase gets more jaded every year. I used to get hyped for interesting match ups whether they were promoted or not... Technical problems, battlers no-showing, underwhelming performances make the prospect of buying KOTD PPVs less enticing, especially since the asking price is not cheap for something that usually does not deliver.

As a result of all these considerations, it is hardly surprising that most fans are saying: "meh, I can wait until it comes to youtube" - No amount of promotion can get a jaded and aging fan base to buy a PPV.

What we really need is some fresh and exciting new ideas to keep things interesting. Battling just feels so stale and repetitive at this point
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #20
Profess

There are two ways of disliking a PPV; one way is to dislike it, the other is to read @Water Mage's analysis of them.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #21
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
KOTD's PPV is bought by a good amount of people on this forum (I'd wager 20-or-so vocal minority, and a few users otherwise who are consistently buying them without talking in the livechats.) and I'd assume a majority of active TalkBack. What gets me is that I pay $35 for the original broadcast and the VODs; not $35 for the original broadcast and then one Vimeo embed that makes me skip through whole sections of the PPV to get to a battle, and then hope the stream didn't cut halfway through it for me to refresh and have to repeat the process. Their PPV doesn't get enough traction because it's unintuitive and slow, usually -- there was a 45 minute break between battles at WD6 where we had to suffer through Dan trying to interject his favored ideologies into the outcomes of battles.

If they'd make it less archaic, I'm sure the purchases would raise.

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 AM   #22
Casual

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Man the real problem is 90% of KOTDs fanbase are either:

a) Broke as hell. Seriously, find a post of Ganik's promoting a PPV and half the comments will be dudes who say they can't buy it but wanna see the bootlegs or youtubes...then they'll add a sentence about how someone should book x battle that makes no sense.

b) 12 years old and probably don't have a credit card. Can't get mom and dad to buy a battle rap ppv.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #23
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
There's always more people willing to consume a free thing.
ding ding ding

i dunno if promo is the issue.....maybe it is....but there is a lack of urgency required to make people want to pony up to watch something...in a lower quality at that, that they can watch for free later anyway.....unless you're just THAT into it why would u ever pay for it?

when boxing or UFC or whatever do a PPV, it isn't available for free later....and plus those are events with actual RESULTS....if battles still had winners and losers maybe that'd create a sense of urgency to watch...as you'd have to go into social media darkness hiding cuz you didn't want to find out who WON a battle.....but when its all subjective , who cares? why would I pay to be first to see who won or lost based solely on my own opinion anyway?

you're not gonna get the casual observer to pay for something just to see it earlier.....its a lost cause...there needs to be an incentive...any incentive....

also doing something like....I dunno what these PPVs cost.....10 bucks? lets say they're 10 bucks. They should have some package deal for the hardcore fans where they pay 40 for the year to get all 5 PPVS and save 10 bucks (this is purely hypothetical, I have no idea how many they are,etc) ...or SOMETHING.....there's simply no incentive to get these things unless you just can't wait...which...good for you but....that's not gonna be a growing market

plus these shits are on like....nights when people with lives do things usually....that doesn't help.....

edit - read more posts. holy shit those cost 35 bucks? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #24
Casual

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedboy View Post
KOTD's PPV is bought by a good amount of people on this forum (I'd wager 20-or-so vocal minority, and a few users otherwise who are consistently buying them without talking in the livechats.) and I'd assume a majority of active TalkBack. What gets me is that I pay $35 for the original broadcast and the VODs; not $35 for the original broadcast and then one Vimeo embed that makes me skip through whole sections of the PPV to get to a battle, and then hope the stream didn't cut halfway through it for me to refresh and have to repeat the process. Their PPV doesn't get enough traction because it's unintuitive and slow, usually -- there was a 45 minute break between battles at WD6 where we had to suffer through Dan trying to interject his favored ideologies into the outcomes of battles.

If they'd make it less archaic, I'm sure the purchases would raise.
Yeah.

The hilarious part is that their excuse for having that amateur hour shit tier "VOD" is to deter piracy.

WTF? How is that deterring piracy lmao.

Another thing, people who don't wanna pay for your shit aren't gonna change their mind because they can't get bootlegs easier. That isn't how it works. All you do is piss of legit paying customers because now I gotta deal with the shitty player every time i wanna watch a battle. It's no different than DRM on video games (i know a couple people here are nerds who will get it).

Part of me is happy that there wasn't much replay value from the WD6 battles cause now i don't have to deal with that shit till BO6.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
55357, 56834, 65533