Why Does Battle Rap Suck Now?

Old 01-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
baldjewishman
Jewish Dilemma = Free Ham

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
baldjewishman is not the worst person
Why Does Battle Rap Suck Now?

Here's my theory as to why battle rap has fallen off;

When people in America feel like things are going well for the country as a whole, they start to turn their attention to extracurricular activities - you know - things like performance art, or dare I say it, battle rap.

I think this country has descended into the treacherous helix of a downward spiral - one it has been on for at least ten years - and because of this, activities such as battle rap have fallen into obscurity.

Plus having money injected into it didn't work, and so now it has been relegated back to the underworld from whence it came.

Discuss why you think battle rap has fallen from grace - is it lack of new talent? Socioeconomic conditions of North America? Dickbutt?
Old 01-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I've said this before, but I think battle rap actually had a great 2016. Skip the garbage and limit yourself to only the good battles and guys you can rely on and battle rap is amazing.
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
RandallFlagg
Registered Loser

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
RandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time Australia
I think battlerap is better than ever right now. Theres several good leagues that put out quality battles which have spawned a bunch of great new rappers. There seems to be a focus on veterans actually showing up after all the fuckery in the past years. For the first time we have a generation of battlers AND league owners who grew up on the current format and we're getting the best bars ever as a result.

Battlerap is definitely growing way more than people realize. In the US alone there's multiple leauges in each state. All of them doing local bar shows and attempting to monetize the footage online. Collectively that's A LOT of money and viewership thats being thrown around for man poems.

With the expansion of any genre or artform you're going to have more and more filler and more and more killer. It's the 5th natural force or something.
RandallFlagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Battlings still popping, maybe a wee stagnant, but with venues like the Bunkers breathing a bit of life back into the sport hard to say its dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
lukej

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lukej is not the worst person
What?

It's better than ever.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
PJ Sumroc is not the worst person
The Bunker and Born Legacy have me excited about battle rap right now tbh

BATTLE ADDICT
THE WAX DRIPPING GERALDO RIVERA MEMORIAL AWARD WINNING RADIO SHOW

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/battleaddict

https://twitter.com/Battle_Addict

-YOUTUBE-
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qL...?feature=watch
PJ Sumroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
I've said this before, but I think battle rap actually had a great 2016. Skip the garbage and limit yourself to only the good battles and guys you can rely on and battle rap is amazing.
yeah.

there's still a ton of good battles.

there's just a lot more shit battles than usual. i don't bother watching battles unless they're two names i wanna see OR if it's getting a ton of love on here (shoutout to the soldiers sifting through all the crap).

as a general rule of thumb i watch:

-The Bunker
-SMACK battles involving top tiers or that have a good positive feedback to video length ratio.
-Headliners and some mid cards from other KOTD events
-Headlines from DF events and some mid cards depending on the names involved/feedback here
-UDubb headliners
-The odd headliner from no name (ie. ones not mentioned above) leagues if they decided to import talent and they didn't fuck up the audio/video.

Last edited by Casual; 01-03-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2902 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
I think maybe we've all just watched too much battle rap and are now burnt out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
lukej

lukej is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Sumroc View Post
The Bunker and Born Legacy have me excited about battle rap right now tbh
This.

The big stage has diluted things a bit.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Only problem is oversaturation.
I remember when we could watch every battle released. Now that's impossible.
And the crowds are getting too big and ruin battles with talking and the say it again that cause battles to be too long.

A URL battle has to be amazing for me to watch the whole thing because theyre like an 1hr now. It seems KOTD is doing the same with the length.

I do the same as Casual I only watch the names I know going to be good or if I hear allot of feedback.

If I am at the event I watch.
Plus theyre a few leagues I support like BeastMode, UGK, AlphaLeague

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
WallaceBread
Shit like that

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
WallaceBread is better than Grind Time AntarcticaWallaceBread is better than Grind Time AntarcticaWallaceBread is better than Grind Time Antarctica
The general shift toward not making any fucking sense hasn't helped much
WallaceBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
PriceAintRight
All I know is I'm wavy, b

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This is going to sound a way, but I feel like battle rap has only fallen off to white people. Or maybe not even white people specifically. Perhaps by that I mean the backpacker, KOTD, etc fans.

The rest of us seem to be enjoying battles and having a great time. Ave vs. Chess just came out.

Honestly it seems like a taste thing, which is why every 5 minutes someone.. (typically white) is complaining that battle rap is dead/falling off/ Boyz II Men when the water runs dry.

*Sips soda*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
PriceAintRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
Smrrr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smrrr is not the worst person
- Too many leagues and battles coming out
- Top tiers getting overpaid and not caring
- Battles being more about wordplay and guntalk than attacking the opponent
Smrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #14
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceAintRight View Post
This is going to sound a way, but I feel like battle rap has only fallen off to white people. Or maybe not even white people specifically. Perhaps by that I mean the backpacker, KOTD, etc fans.

The rest of us seem to be enjoying battles and having a great time. Ave vs. Chess just came out.

Honestly it seems like a taste thing, which is why every 5 minutes someone.. (typically white) is complaining that battle rap is dead/falling off/ Boyz II Men when the water runs dry.

*Sips soda*
i never thought of this, but it might be true. i watch both spectrums of the scene. i used to watch both equally, but lately, i've only been tuning in to URL consistently. the only things from KOTD that get me excited are the bunker (the bunker is my favorite thing going in battle rap right now tbh) and massacre. outside of those events, i don't have much interest in anything they do.

not to mention that canadian events, which get more publicity, cater more to the talkback demographic. i think that's why some of the booking decisions at KOTD canadian events can be completely off the goop. within the last 4 title matches, charron and caustic were contenders. yikes. i know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but if rappers like charron and caustic are being pushed to potentially be the face of the brand, can we expect much quality from that part of the scene? it's pretty indicative of how it isn't evolving too well.

there are a number of dope battlers who are grouped with that part of the scene, though. weird thing is that they don't get much attention despite consistently performing well.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #15
SketchMenace
VIP

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
SketchMenace is not the worst person
people have been saying this for 20 years
SketchMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
PriceAintRight

PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
i never thought of this, but it might be true. i watch both spectrums of the scene. i used to watch both equally, but lately, i've only been tuning in to URL consistently. the only things from KOTD that get me excited are the bunker (the bunker is my favorite thing going in battle rap right now tbh) and massacre. outside of those events, i don't have much interest in anything they do.

not to mention that canadian events, which get more publicity, cater more to the talkback demographic. i think that's why some of the booking decisions at KOTD canadian events can be completely off the goop. within the last 4 title matches, charron and caustic were contenders. yikes. i know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but if rappers like charron and caustic are being pushed to potentially be the face of the brand, can we expect much quality from that part of the scene? it's pretty indicative of how it isn't evolving too well.

there are a number of dope battlers who are grouped with that part of the scene, though. weird thing is that they don't get much attention despite consistently performing well.
You're absolutely right. You hit the nail on the head. The Talkback Audience is being catered to.

The talkback audience is possibly the greatest antithesis to your average URL fan I can think of. To them, battle rap is constantly dead. To everyone else, we're waiting on Rex vs. K-Shine.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #17
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
this. if it werent for rmbva and chris unbias filtering content i might have just quit watching battles altogether
Old 01-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
RandallFlagg
Registered Loser

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
RandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
RandallFlagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #19
acidzero
lookin oinkish : ux9

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
acidzero is better than Grind Time Australiaacidzero is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
this. gotta take a break every now and again.
acidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
Trill Murray

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Trill Murray is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtongsta View Post
this. if it werent for rmbva and chris unbias filtering content i might have just quit watching battles altogether
this!! except I don't watch chris unbias too much
you play for the worst team and you the 3rd string option,you gettin yo ass whooped, and everybody on the first team watchin, this we clap hammers here batman premiere that clip release got at least 13 droppin!!" -JC against Chilla
Trill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #21
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

Mentioned: 640 Post(s)
I am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICE
@Emancee you on point itt. People should see Battle Rap like a network like Netflix and yeah you got thousands of videos to pick from but you'll only pick the ones that have your full interest. if 95% of the shows and movies are garbage then you really only want to watch the other 5%. People will watch some of the 95% but that's to see if the shit is good or not until they exit out of it.
Ain't no real rappers that want to step to me Son! Theses rappers are more softer than a sesame seed bun. Speaking of seeds Star Almighty's Mom is digesting these nuts and up next to roast you guys is ekelon nope forget it he sucks!
I am LIL ILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #22
Assassin Ben

Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SketchMenace View Post
people have been saying this for 20 years
facts!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 AM   #23
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:

*Sips soda*
Ding Ding Ding, we've got a winner
this is the right answer

Old "white battle rap" fans are the 90s hip hop heads of battle rap.
They, for whatever reason, stopped keeping up although their perferred genre didn't necessarily stop existing.
The genre, in fact, continued and evolved greatly and for the better but when the outa touch fan peaks in to see whats up from time to time, its:"shit aint what it used to be, battle rap is dead." Only the first part of that statement is true and rightfully so.

I thought it was a decent year for battle rap but then again I've been up on exactly whats goin on this whole time.
Neanderthol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #24
PriceAintRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthol View Post
this is the right answer

They, for whatever reason, stopped keeping up although their perferred genre didn't necessarily stop existing.
The genre, in fact, continued and evolved greatly and for the better but when the outa touch fan peaks in to see whats up from time to time, its:"shit aint what it used to be, battle rap is dead." Only the first part of that statement is true and rightfully so.

I thought it was a decent year for battle rap but then again I've been up on exactly whats goin on this whole time.
There is no greater take on this than this post.

Wish I could rep you 5 times.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #25
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthol View Post
this is the right answer

This is a good metaphor. Much like rap after a great period (Early 90s were amazing!!!), rap got really bad (Noreaga had one of the albums of the year ).

People basically ruled it out the casuals all left. However, rap didn't die for the people who were really into it and instead was kept alive by the real heads. Eventually rap came back and now is really good, albeit in a different form from its glory days.

Pretty much the exact story of battle rap, bboying and even DJing to an extent.
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:10 AM   #26
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
-battlers not trying hard enuf / not caring whether they win or not

-lack of heatedness in battling in general..

-disappointing performances at pivotal moments (budden vs hollow, diz vs cassidy) - after those battles its basically impossible to get anyone hyped up ever again

-battling has become too serious, it was better when it had a fun vibe.. if it is overly serious, then it needs to be more competitive, and its not

-nobody feels they have anything to prove, lack of any substantive goal or achievement to strive for
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #27
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
Shine vs Rex in 2017, Hitman vs Suge, Verb vs Lux... ya battle rap is doing OK rite now;
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
Smrrr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smrrr is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Shine vs Rex in 2017, Hitman vs Suge, Verb vs Lux... ya battle rap is doing OK rite now;
you know damn well Verb vs Lux aint happening (yet)
Smrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #29
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:

*Sips soda*
this would be cool and right except for a couple things -
1- talkback never says battle rap is dying - in fact they've praised 2016 as the best year.

2 - its actually always the url fans and battlers that post battle rap is dying (and its been usually after a cancelled url event which happened a lot in 2016)

but other than that - spot on!

Last edited by King Fly; 01-04-2017 at 04:50 PM.
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
Casual

Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fly View Post
this would be cool and right except for a couple things -
1- talkback never says battle rap is dying - in fact they've praised 2016 as the best year.

2 - its actually always the url fans and battlers that post battle rap is dying (and its been usually after a cancelled url event which happened a lot in 2016)

but other than that - spot on!
yeah but talkback started watching battle rap in 2015 for the most part so they still in the honeymoon phase where everything, even a charron rebuttal, seems new and exciting.

the trailer trash in talkback is largely responsible for Toronto events gradually becoming more and more mediocre.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #31
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
yeah but talkback started watching battle rap in 2015 for the most part so they still in the honeymoon phase where everything, even a charron rebuttal, seems new and exciting.

the trailer trash in talkback is largely responsible for Toronto events gradually becoming more and more mediocre.
thats all cool - but it still remains that talkback doesnt say battle rap is dead like i was disputing lol. i did a search in talkback for the terms battle rap dying - one post made in 2014 (2 posts if you add the "is" - both actually saying "who says battle rap is dead")lol. (think someone confused unbias or angryfan for talkback)

and last toronto event and crowd was fire as fuck tbh.

oh and talkback doesnt hold as much weight as some of you seem to think. battles arent booked in kotd from talkback - maybe gz does a bit - but any main kotd battles are not influenced by talkback - matter of fact rmbva has been responsible for 100 times more battles than talkback. food for thought.

Last edited by King Fly; 01-04-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #32
PriceAintRight

KingFly showed up to disagree... pretty much verifying everything we've said.

TalkBack is like a separate universe of weirdos to begin with. The type of people to say Thesaurus is better than Load----

Wait.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #33
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
KingFly showed up to disagree... pretty much verifying everything we've said.

TalkBack is like a separate universe of weirdos to begin with. The type of people to say Thesaurus is better than Load----

Wait.
can you provide examples of talkback saying battle rap is dead? (which btw is the only thing i disagreed with) if im wrong - its easy to prove right?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #34
PriceAintRight

"Talkback" In this context represents a type of battle rap fan. The white, backpacker, KOTD, Grindtime refugee fanbase.

You've been on RM/RMBVA long enough to get the correlation.

Example: Water Mage.

That should be pretty apt, lol.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #35
Casual

Quote:
can you provide examples of talkback saying battle rap is dead? (which btw is the only thing i disagreed with) if im wrong - its easy to prove right?
id have to join that group to do that so ill just take your word for it.

i'll just point out that he said white people and not talkback. but i assume you make the connection that white people = KOTD fans = talkback fans. i'd disagree with that. i don't think Talkback is a good representation of the average KOTD fan and I don't think KOTD fans = white.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #36
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
"Talkback" In this context represents a type of battle rap fan. The white, backpacker, KOTD, Grindtime refugee fanbase.

You've been on RM/RMBVA long enough to get the correlation.

Example: Water Mage.

That should be pretty apt, lol.
yeah except like i said - its the url fans and battlers who say it. you might be dead on about the type of people they are etc - but your dead wrong about them saying battle rap is dead. they are actually the people (like casual said) are still new to battle rap and love everything.
i wasnt disagreeing about talkback as a group or whole - just saying they aint the ones saying battle rap is dead. thats it thats all.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #37
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
id have to join that group to do that so ill just take your word for it.

i'll just point out that he said white people and not talkback. but i assume you make the connection that white people = KOTD fans = talkback fans. i'd disagree with that. i don't think Talkback is a good representation of the average KOTD fan and I don't think KOTD fans = white.
i make the connection KOTD fans = talkback fans - yes - also read more into the thread before responding and noticed others made that assumption as well and named talkback. you are totally correct however that price didnt specifically name talkback - but i assumed thats what he meant - as did others who responded to him.

Last edited by King Fly; 01-04-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #38
Casual

Quote:
i make the connection KOTD fans = talkback fans.
i feel like a lot of the Canadian KOTD Staff does this. Probably why Bunker is such a superior product these days.

Inevitable when you cater to the part of the fanbase that has Hollow Da Don vs. Lexx Luthor headlining their dream card.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #39
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
i feel like a lot of the Canadian KOTD Staff does this. Probably why Bunker is such a superior product these days.
except ganik and myself are involved in both, so that doesnt really make any sense.
and as i said - talkback holds no weight when it comes to booking battles - so why would it matter if all staff thought that way? lol i dont see the correlation
Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #40
haatley

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
haatley is a PY Poster
Over saturated. Not seeing enough of big names cause they want stupid money now.
haatley is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trendy