Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
my interest in battle rap is dying

Old 05-29-2015, 04:27 AM   #81
Coolstoryhoe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Coolstoryhoe probably likes in here/hair word play
Kinda agree. you can tell the crowd's arent as hyped as they used to be because they have seen it all before. compare 2014-2015 kotd crowds to 2009-2012 when it was still fresh. same with URL, though it's not as obvious. its nice in theory that battle rap could become close to as big as UFC or boxing , but the reality is there is only so many ways you can call someone a faggot while rhyming. the whole bar's thing and the majority of newcomer's all copying that style also played a role. There used to be so many different styles and character's, which their still are, but no new ones have really emerged, just a bunch of dudes like danny myer's and rum nitty who really dont have much personality or any kind of style that hasn't been seen before (no offence to them, but its true)
Coolstoryhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 AM   #82
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Paul Robeson is not the worst person
I remember being giddy over battle events back in the day. Like that one event where Okwerdz battled T-Rex. I was so hyped for that shit. The feeling ain't the same. It's sad really. I dunno if its oversaturation or the fact that the whole artform itself has just played itself out or what.
Top Ten White People: 1. Norman Bethune 2. Vladimir Lenin 3. Abraham Lincoln 4. George Carlin 5. John Brown 6. Frank Thompson 7. Lyudmila Pavlichenko 8. Anna Louise Strong 9. Woody Guthrie 10. Tadeusz Kościuszko
Paul Robeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #83
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
i definitely said "my interest". there also seems to be more people sharing the sentiment.
word
and of course I kno, I'm here on dis bitch steady
this sentiment ,itself, is a trend on here haha
Neanderthol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:06 AM   #84
murkfest

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
murkfest is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelarmi View Post
Shit got old. Simple as.

The same reason you loose interest in your favorite video game or favorite TV show over time. It's unavoidable you eventually reach a point where you feel like whatever "new" stuff they introduce you either feel you've seen it before or you grab your nostalgic glasses and convince yourself it was much better before the change.
yeh this is what happened with me. I was super into battles 2008-2011. I remember watching all the classic GT battles right after they dropped. attended world domination 1 and 2. BOTB 3-5 and WD 1-2 were the best battle events of the modern format imo

with that said, I think this era of battling probably still has a decent amount of years on it. I mean, look how long the freestyle era lasted. Scribble jam events happened for like 10+ years.

I think battling is past its prime tho, at least this era. but I'm not really sure what it'll evolve into from here so I don't know what will define a "new era", if there ever even is one
murkfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 AM   #85
GreenHydra

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
GreenHydra is a PY Poster
@Ness Lee

The fanbase is too small to make any decent money off battle rap I think. Popularity has peaked for the most part. Views aren't any better than they were three to four years ago.

All the big money matchups have been exhausted too.

The uncensored format prevents big money too. No big corporation or network affiliate wants to sponsor a battle where all the angles involve racism, homophobia, misogyny, rape, whatever. Its 2015. I mean its the same problem that battle rap had in the '90s but people these days are even more tolerant and decent than they were in those days. That shit just looks ignorant to anybody outside the ghetto and it doesn't translate.

Pretty much anybody with money who has taken a chance on battle rap has lost profits. Think about Slaughterhouse's Total Slaughter, Drake or FilmOn etc. They've all been bootlegged.

This culture isn't dying I guess but its definitely running in circles.
GreenHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #86
Cheddah12

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Cheddah12 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
and truthfully ppv is a gift and a curse.

by the time the actual release has come around the topics been beat to death. i mean shit, we got 20 topics about pat/cal going by now. i got bored talking about that shit 24 hours after the ppv aired, im not about to have another debate about whether or not cal punked pat 3 weeks from now when it comes out on youtube.

hollow/clips? ill probably peep hollows rounds again.

rone/saurus was a classic imo, but i haven't even watched the release.

i watched you vs soul a few times on ppv, but i won't lie, i haven't watched the youtube version.

these are all battles that i will watch on youtube at some point, but i need a cooloff period and by the time i do watch it it won't be in sync with when everyone else is watching it (since i feel a lot of the fans are like this) so there's no one to talk about it with.
Bruh I haven't seen the battle and already lost excitement about it being released, and cals my favorite dude in the game.
Cheddah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #87
KebertXela
after school pottery star

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
KebertXela is not the worst person
What about your interest in illness?
KebertXela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #88
Willy Pilgrim
Banned

Willy Pilgrim is better than Grind Time AustraliaWilly Pilgrim is better than Grind Time Australia
I just post here cause people pay attention to me. I don't really care about battle rap. smh
Willy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #89
Symphoniez

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Symphoniez is not the worst person
To be honest I've actually have been impressed with a lot of the content being put out recently. Even Con vs. Chilla was surprising. MCs need to care again.
Symphoniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #90
ShineDaLight

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ShineDaLight is a PY Poster
Bring back judged battles!

It creates a controversy. It creates a win/loss. It creates ego stroking, and ego destroying. It makes people want to get the CLEAR W, instead of shrugging their shoulders and looking at who's next.

Now you have rappers putting on performances and really a lot just aren't that good. If a battle doesn't have some history behind it, or with someone on a mission to prove something, it usually falls flat unless both spit fire for 3 rounds (which is rare)

The invisible tier system has disappeared. Would Verb battle PooRich if the money was right? Hell yeah. 4 years ago he probably wouldn't even consider it. (no knock on Rich).

a league needs to step up and make a ranking system. make a judging system again. KOTD has a champ for a reason. No one would have given a fuck to see Bender vs Arcane back in the day, but throw some status of a "title" in the mix and it gets played and some replay value.

JMO
ShineDaLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #91
GMajor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
GMajor is better than Grind Time AustraliaGMajor is better than Grind Time AustraliaGMajor is better than Grind Time Australia
Not sure how to fix the over-saturation and clone wars, but I think some type of (legitimate) "performance of the night" bonus might help stop people from mailing it in.....but I guess every league would have to do it.

This is my other idea...It probably wouldn't happen with one of the established leagues, but a motivated party (with money and knowledge) could shake shit up quickly by doing this:

Each battle on the card is put up online for on-demand viewing...$5 per battle (or whatever). Promoter gives some type of cut to battler(s)...The tricky part would be figuring out who the fans are paying to see, but over time, they would have some real stats. On top of that, the battlers would be more motivated to promote their battle, and put on a good performance.
GMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:20 AM   #92
sockruhtese

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
sockruhtese is a PY Poster
Too many whites. Not being racist since I'm not looking down on them. I just don't understand some of the stuff they talk about. Especially Canadians. When I hear hockey bars, I stop the battle and proceed to Worldstar where things make sense.
sockruhtese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:28 AM   #93
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
playin yatzhee with my girl and her parents tonight

still way more entertaining than 2015 battle rap
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:40 AM   #94
Willy Pilgrim
Banned

Willy Pilgrim is better than Grind Time AustraliaWilly Pilgrim is better than Grind Time Australia
Remove the words "in battle rap". Now this thread is much more relevant to me. smh
Willy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:06 AM   #95
Coolstoryhoe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Coolstoryhoe probably likes in here/hair word play
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
Too many whites. Not being racist

Last edited by Coolstoryhoe; 05-31-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Coolstoryhoe is offline   Reply With Quote