Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Why Does Battle Rap Suck Now?

Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #81
Schwarzer_Negger

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
I think the age thing is because Battle rap is just harder to get into now. If you watched 2009-2011 battle rap, either Smack or Grindtime, you could probably get what was going on. It was either generic gun lines or jokes, and some name flips. Now you watch a battle and there are so many meta references to other battler and battles. And the bars are very intricate because shit has evolved from the early days.
Schwarzer_Negger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #82
Marcus

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Marcus is better than Grind Time AustraliaMarcus is better than Grind Time Australia
@kingfly do you have absolute Numbers as well? Seeing this could be a statistical joke, seeing if both groups grow, just one group grows faster. What about the dark number (not everyone states his age, or watches with a YT-account).
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #83
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
@kingfly do you have absolute Numbers as well? Seeing this could be a statistical joke, seeing if both groups grow, just one group grows faster. What about the dark number (not everyone states his age, or watches with a YT-account).
nah its just what youtube gives, and no clue where they draw it from (if its just youtube channels or not)
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #84
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post
baited u to admitting u actually watched that..ur so weird bruh
mayb thats why i like u

f'real tell ur boss to hire me, im rdy. check my turn around time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xw07-axotY
bro - i watch ALL of That Poppy's shit hahahahah - shes a trip and a half
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #85
djpompey
No Coast President

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
djpompey is not the worst person
Quote:
im hoping 2017 is the year nocoast gets their shit together

most underrated league to ever exist
Thanks! We're working on it.

I see a few good points being made here but I also want to address the concept of saturation. When we look back on a time where new top talent just seemed to appear on YouTube it's easy to forget that most were already battle vets when they entered the format. Whether NY, LA, Toronto, etc... there were other scenes that had already sifted out and developed some really talented people.

Now, with the acapella YouTube battles having become more the main event, that's where people cut their teeth. If overall quality ratio is what you're looking for that's going to bring it down but I doubt it's feasible go back to making that process invisible.

End of the day I think more good battles are dropping per month so ... cool!
djpompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #86
coleowsuz
IhaveJungleFever

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
coleowsuz is better than Grind Time Australiacoleowsuz is better than Grind Time Australia
For me the biggest problem with current battle rap is the amount of crowd reaction. You never actually get a chance to hear anybody rap anymore . I have no idea how anybody can watch chess vs ave to be honest . Chess pauses after every bar and makes a face at the crowd . Ave was atleast trying to rap but was getting stopped after anything decent he said . I understand it adds energy to the battle but it's gotten to a point with certain leagues where I feel like it's really affecting the sport. I don't really watch URL battles for this reason, it's just so strange to me . Every time anybody says anything somewhat decent the crowd has this long unnesisary reaction while the rapper paces around stage saying shit like "I'm nice" or whatever
coleowsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #87
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emseed View Post
Its become too nerdy. Its no longer part of a street culture or hip hop, its part of nerdy internet culture now.

Not being judged means there is no real winner

I've grown up and no longer find people dissing each other or talking about shit they'd never really do entertaining.

The main thing for me though is its just too nerdy now. In some ways I'm a nerd myself but some of these battles, the crowds and the things they cheer for just make me cringe.
Its always been part of the more nerdier side of hip hop though. Depending on the area street dudes battling was rare since the leagues came into play. Only Smack because of there history has really been able to rep that side properly

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #88
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
unjudged battle rap is so fucking lame....

if ur not gonna judge it..the two guys might as well write the battle together and make it better.
with fake rebuttles/fake predictive writing (like some already do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMojiIJVZvE

i havn't liked a new person in years because of the structure...ppl used to win a bunch in a row at a low rank and then start battling good ppl and depended if they won or not...

u know work ur way up

there is NO working ur way up in battle rap now. only new people is who they force on you I.E. Tycoon tax whos view average is fucking pathetic 100% undebateable pathetic when u take into consideration the high viewed opponents and events he was fed over and over

i dont like arcane but his whole situation going on a killing spree and taking the chain and what not..being the underdog...that shit doesent exist anymore. 0. KOTD is dumb imo for not realizing u build talent out of competition..... NOT compensation...

and thats why they rely on paying URL guys so much money to make a decent event and also why they have no talent base

and AS MUCH as king fly wants to say him and organik are totally involved in the bunker... its pretty damn obvious the person who is choosing or finalizing the matches is NOT the same person as other kotd events...
The lack of judgements, you have to also blame the fans for that one.

You have a great battle and all people talk about is the decision. People hating on battles and the battle league because they disagree with the decision.

Plus less and less top tier battlers were willing to have there battles judged.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #89
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
GetPaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #90
averagejoe

Mentioned: 1159 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
The lack of judgements, you have to also blame the fans for that one.

You have a great battle and all people talk about is the decision. People hating on battles and the battle league because they disagree with the decision.

Plus less and less top tier battlers were willing to have there battles judged.
no.
u dont.
0%
not at all

u ONLY have to blame organik for being a pussy about it and not being able to handle it...

decisions are always gonna be disagreed to by the the bttlers and their fans..who fn cares the only person that affects is ganik and he needs to grow a pair

Last edited by averagejoe; 01-12-2017 at 06:20 PM.
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #91
lukej

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lukej is not the worst person
^ It really would be fucking nice to have a judged winner ffs

Too much "debatable" bullshit lmfao
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #92
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Everything sucks if you spend too much time thinking about it
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #93
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
no.
u dont.
0%
not at all

u ONLY have to blame organik for being a pussy about it and not being able to handle it...

decisions are always gonna be disagreed to by the the bttlers and their fans..who fn cares the only person that affects is ganik and he needs to grow a pair
its not about growing a pair
its how best present to fanbases
and judging bringing more negatives caused it to be fazed out

theres million leagues how do u blame 1 league when most leagues dont

Old 01-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #94
ecpresto

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
ecpresto is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
-battlers not trying hard enuf / not caring whether they win or not

-lack of heatedness in battling in general..

-disappointing performances at pivotal moments (budden vs hollow, diz vs cassidy) - after those battles its basically impossible to get anyone hyped up ever again

-battling has become too serious, it was better when it had a fun vibe.. if it is overly serious, then it needs to be more competitive, and its not

-nobody feels they have anything to prove, lack of any substantive goal or achievement to strive for
Best post in the thread.
ecpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #95
MCVeteran

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
MCVeteran is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
it's been right for the past 4-5 or so
How've you been Irv The Great? Been a long time . Miss you
MCVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags