Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
History of Battle Rap Face-offs

Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
History of Battle Rap Face-offs

Seems like they are common now, but I don't think they always were. Does anyone have insight on when and whom b/w the first battle rap face-off was- and also when they were popularized.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
WallaceBread
Shit like that

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
WallaceBread is better than Grind Time AntarcticaWallaceBread is better than Grind Time AntarcticaWallaceBread is better than Grind Time Antarctica
UDubb has been doing these since 2012 apparently, this seems to be the first one they ever uploaded. I don't know if they started it, but I don't remember seeing them in this format before this.

This is the first one I remember seeing that more closely resembles the way they're done now:

Last edited by WallaceBread; 02-11-2019 at 08:15 PM.
WallaceBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
LukeWaltonisGoat
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
U-Dubb had the first faceoffs Ive ever saw..
Then Vlad wasn’t too far behind in 2013..

Ars vs Math was the first one I ever saw with the standard format that’s used today but they had a couple before that. Pretty sure Url’s First faceoffs were Rookies vs Vets in 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you are the sturdy femurs that keep this forum upright

@I am LIL ILL is the heart
LukeWaltonisGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #4
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@WallaceBread any thought on why U-Dubb doesn't do events regularly?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
U-Dubb had the first faceoffs Ive ever saw..
Then Vlad wasn’t too far behind in 2013..

Ars vs Math was the first one I ever saw with the standard format that’s used today but they had a couple before that. Pretty sure Url’s First faceoffs were Rookies vs Vets in 2015
Do you think face-offs have improved since they began, and do you think they are now a prerequisite for all serious league events?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #6
LukeWaltonisGoat
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
Do you think face-offs have improved since they began, and do you think they are now a prerequisite for all serious league events?
I think most events should have them, at least matchups where both battlers want to do a faceoff. When both guys just complement eachother the entire time and say “this is gonna be a classic” it’s kinfa trash.. maybe more organized overtime but I don’t think they necessarily got better

What do you think about them? And what interested you enough to make this thread? Just curious
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you are the sturdy femurs that keep this forum upright

@I am LIL ILL is the heart
LukeWaltonisGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I think most events should have them, at least matchups where both battlers want to do a faceoff. When both guys just complement eachother the entire time and say “this is gonna be a classic” it’s kinfa trash.. maybe more organized overtime but I don’t think they necessarily got better

What do you think about them? And what interested you enough to make this thread? Just curious
I wrote this because of the Hollow/ Math Face-offs. I think that battles are better when there is build-up. Sometimes that can happen thru blogs made by the battlers or by appearances on shows like AngryFan. I'm enjoying the Hollow/ Math face-offs. That said, I don't know if other guys would have as much to say about each other.

The thing that is a bit different about the Hollow/ Math Face-offs is that that are occurring substantially longer before the event that others I've seen. Previously, I hadn't always paid as much attention to faceoffs. And they seemed to be day before the event .. some times also live streamed. KOTD had a press conference pre-event. Maybe more then once than once.. I don't recall at the moment.

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221