Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Where are the great MCs?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
VillageRam

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
VillageRam is not the worst person
Where are the great MCs?

Ored/Day was one of the only good battles ive seen lately and im not a big fan of wordplay for wordplay's sake which both of these dudes rely on almost exclusively. That's NAGL for battle rap right now tbh.

Where are the all around MCs? I'm looking for a battler to emerge with bars, crowd control, jokes, personals, flow and authenticity and I can't think of anybody currently in the game who fits the bill. there are a handful of dudes who HAD it in their prime but who is really killing it TODAY? am I missing something?

Prove me wrong. Recommend a recent battle featuring a great all around MC. t
VillageRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
VillageRam

hollow is the only guy that really comes to mind
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
hollow
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
^oops your 2nd post didn't show up lol
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
nobody appreciates any of that now a days. everyone that did it has been forced to do mostly wordplay.
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
VillageRam

yeah I just watched O vs day. prob the best battle ive seen in a long time, but very one dimensional
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #7
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
That's why I think Bill Collector vs. E-Ness was the best battle of 2015 tbh. While it seems like a majority of the game is trying to do word association (due to newer fans looking down on performance for some weird reason), Bill/Ness was a battle that had a little bit of everything, and was entertaining as fuck.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
VillageRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
That's why I think Bill Collector vs. E-Ness was the best battle of 2015 tbh. While it seems like a majority of the game is trying to do word association (due to newer fans looking down on performance for some weird reason), Bill/Ness was a battle that had a little bit of everything, and was entertaining as fuck.
thanks im gonna check that one out
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageRam View Post
thanks im gonna check that one out
Go for it. It feels like a nice throwback battle, as far as both Bill and Ness just rapping their asses off, and it feeling like a fun battle. Shout out to Don't Flop for that.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Paul Robeson is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageRam View Post
I'm looking for a battler to emerge with bars, crowd control, jokes, personals, flow and authenticity
Top Ten White People: 1. Norman Bethune 2. Vladimir Lenin 3. Abraham Lincoln 4. George Carlin 5. John Brown 6. Frank Thompson 7. Lyudmila Pavlichenko 8. Anna Louise Strong 9. Woody Guthrie 10. Tadeusz Kościuszko
Paul Robeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
nobody appreciates any of that now a days. everyone that did it has been forced to do mostly wordplay.
But guys like you and Pass etc. should keep doing what you do. Eventually things will swing around again (They kinda already are beginning to) and then the guys that kept it real will benefit. I'm seen it happen in every style of entertainment ever.
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #12
Sky2real

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Sky2real is better than Grind Time AustraliaSky2real is better than Grind Time Australia
Lux is still alive and well.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #13
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
very few fit into all the categories you listed.

hollow and lux need no explanation.

pass, but idk if crowd control is an attribute of his outside of cali.

shotgun suge, calicoe, and bigg k.

pat stay embodies everything you listed when he comes prepared. i was kinda surprised by how well he did in the UK and how receptive the crowd was to his material. he dun goofed by half-assing that calicoe battle. he probably could've proved us wrong about whether or not he'd have the same power in the states as he does in canada... or maybe not.

man, remyd had all the attributes you listed. i think he had potential to be one of the greatest even with a low key status.

Last edited by peace; 01-02-2016 at 11:27 PM.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #14
DonnaDaMom
LoM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
DonnaDaMom is not the worst person
Tsu Surf >>>
DonnaDaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #15
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
very few fit into all the categories you listed.

hollow and lux need no explanation.

pass, but idk if crowd control is an attribute of his outside of cali.

shotgun suge, calicoe, and bigg k.

pat stay embodies everything you listed when he comes prepared. i was kinda surprised by how well he did in the UK and how receptive the crowd was to his material. he dun goofed by half-assing that calicoe battle. he probably could've proved us wrong about whether or not he'd have the same power in the states as he does in canada... or maybe not.

man, remyd had all the attributes you listed. i think he had potential to be one of the greatest even with a low key status.
to me pat stay doesnt embody a single element that was listed tbh, i dont think doing well in the uk means much since from what ive seen their crowd looks like theyre really polite and not that wild at all esppecially if theres a foreign rapper they like coming out to perform
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #16
god level

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Head Ice
Jean Gough Fries
Ogmios
Should I say Jonny Storm?! Lol
Spyder Murphy, Diggy Splash

Og and Ice r in my top5 so im bias. There's people out there, most of us try not to think too hard about it
god level is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
surprised Illmac hasn't been mentioned

but yeah the "wordplay" stuff has been done to death for a minute now, still waiting for battlers to stop (over)doing that shit. i know Daylyt vs O-Red was technically a very good battle but it felt like a chore for me to sit through it precisely because of that reason. shit just makes me cringe now even when it's well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #18
ux9 u so fine

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
ux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australiaux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australia
Big k hollow
ux9 u so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #19
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
hollow, hitman, math, calicoe, lux, verb 5 years ago

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 AM   #20
VillageRam

Ice has the presence of an MC for sure but his shit is so left field.
Some of these other guys are good mcs (illmac, calicoe, suge) but i'd hesitate to call any of them great.
guys like Lux, Pat, Verb used to be great so I still watch their battles and am usually disappointed. so many guys should have take a page from soul kahn and quit while they were ahead. I think theyve all threatened to quit, but they all keep coming back. junkies for punishment.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #21
VAallDAY

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
gjonaj
VAallDAY is offline   Reply With Quote