Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Ruin Your Day to host battles?

Old 05-23-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
Schwarzer_Negger

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
Ruin Your Day to host battles?

*Ruin your day channel is growing quickly
*Avo etc already running west coast events themselves
*Kotd banned RYD from viewing their battles
*A league being based in Toronto has always been a bit weird for the west coast scene
*LAbattlegroundz, URL and BOTZ more active recently on the west coast

What do you think? Would it make sense if the two teams amicably split? Is that what you think they are angling for?
Schwarzer_Negger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzer_Negger View Post
stupid
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 AM   #3
griminey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
griminey is not the worst person
Did kotd really ban their battles being on ryd?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
griminey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #4
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Avo did say they werent doing kotd battles at moment dont know the reason

Ruin your day>>>

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzer_Negger View Post
Source?

If this is true then this is really stupid
Old 05-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
Schwarzer_Negger

Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
Avo and Clayton posted it in the RYD Facebook group. They said they wouldn't do battles until they had an agreement with the league, so obviously KOTD have an issue with it. Weird since URL don't seem to, who are much more protective of their battles.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #7
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
URL is probably making money off the RYD videos with the copyright claim system youtube has.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #8
iamHBY

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Considering the Hotel Battle between Farrell/LNS vs. Carter/Esem, I wouldn't mind seeing RYD throw smaller battles on their channel, especially since it looks like KOTD's not doing events in Cali anytime soon.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtongsta View Post
URL is probably making money off the RYD videos with the copyright claim system youtube has.
The Youtube copyright system means that the claimant gets 100% of the money, so I doubt that is the deal as otherwise RYD would make almost no money. I imagine that they have some private deal with URL. Although I doubt anyone other than Avo knows the full extent of that.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
Considering the Hotel Battle between Farrell/LNS vs. Carter/Esem, I wouldn't mind seeing RYD throw smaller battles on their channel, especially since it looks like KOTD's not doing events in Cali anytime soon.
I heard there was a June 17th GZ event in LA.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #11
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
gossiping for the sake of it, so Avo can't show battlers watching battles he filmed at events he put on at a venue he found? - watch has made me go back and view so many old battles (ones discussed, and others from same era the 'watched' battles reminded me of) how could any league not see this as a positive it makes your old (wanky word alert) content new again
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
corny

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
corny is a PY Poster
can't say that I disagree with a company protecting their content, and for all we know url doesn't even know about watch yet.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
but how is it protecting it? no one is passing the content off as their own, what they're doing is selecting past pieces of a particular company's content and saying this is fucking great, how can that not be desirable for the content provider (if I say content one more time I will transform into a massive cunt (somewhat larger...) and be unable to type any further)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
corny

corny is a PY Poster
you may not be claiming so said content is yours but essentially what is happening is that your taking the content that is not your content and making a show with that content and without so said content your show wouldn't exist. and content then content on content with content.

when I said I agreed with companies protecting their product I guess I actually don't agree with that but in reality it's just the way it is

that's why it's hard to have an original idea with other peoples stuff...such as ufc wwe sports.. you can't just randomly decide you want to start a series with a slew of copyrighted material it will eventually be flagged by youtube.. unless of course the company is a huge fan of your material
Old 05-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
cdizzle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
cdizzle is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
The Youtube copyright system means that the claimant gets 100% of the money, so I doubt that is the deal as otherwise RYD would make almost no money. I imagine that they have some private deal with URL. Although I doubt anyone other than Avo knows the full extent of that.
Honestly RYD was a pretty dead channel before these live streams (no disrespect just fax) so surely the extra traffic this is bringing counts for something even if they're not profiting directly

Also I'm pretty sure with them adding commentary it makes it kosher for free use, there's hella reaction channels on youtube getting millions of views.
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
Paradox

Paradox is not the worst person
didnt they watch bigg k vs illmac tho?

or is this later? organik doesnt seem to be all salty like that idk

if they wanted to start a battle thing they could now with all this hype around RYD
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
acidzero
lookin oinkish : ux9

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
acidzero is better than Grind Time Australiaacidzero is better than Grind Time Australia
I don't see any reason why any league would want to block these Watch series.
acidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #18
youdontwannabethatguy
Battle Rapper

youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
its a bit like those youtubers who just watch popular videos and get money off reaction videos but ryd isn't even getting thta much shine off it anyway seems stupid to me
Old 05-24-2017, 12:54 AM   #19
Schwarzer_Negger

Quote:
Originally Posted by corny View Post
can't say that I disagree with a company protecting their content, and for all we know url doesn't even know about watch yet.
Avo said they are only watching battles where they have an understanding with the league. They watched Serius vs Mook after this so I assume Smack/URL are all cool with it.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #20
ledge
JERSEY | ux9

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
ledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarctica
In theory, enough differentiates from original video to the final Watch product for it to not fall under infringement, hence all the 'react' channels that exist.

Hypothetically if KOTD has banned RYD from watching their battles, it'd be more a friendly ask and agreement as to not infringe on KOTD's view totals, by putting their battles on watch.

URL knows about RYD...Norbes tweets Avo on the daily.

Also, Avo apparently mentioned something about the topic of this thread on one previous episode.

@Skr33 can confirm
Old 05-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #21
Stolos

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Stolos is not the worst person
I was wondering how they were getting away with showing URL battles; since they seem like the league that would have a problem with it the most. Unless Avo has some agreement with them or the RYD channel doesn't get enough views for Beasley or Smack to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledge View Post
In theory, enough differentiates from original video to the final Watch product for it to not fall under infringement, hence all the 'react' channels that exist.
Those videos only show a small sample of the movie/song though; so I'm sure there's loopholes around it. RYD is showing full battles in their entirety.
Stolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #22
corny

corny is a PY Poster
the react channels that are playing kids reacting to "insert song" are probably definitely chunking off payments for royalties.

the other ones probably just take chances on what they upload and probably have ran into a flagged video before.

the copyright shit will never make sense to me, some people get away with it some don't.

when people are creating react videos to little low level videos like street fights, or videos that will be in thousands of compilations videos you can't really put it on the same level with companies that go to the extreme to try to keep their content exclusive as possible
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #23
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

Mentioned: 1452 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolos View Post

Those videos only show a small sample of the movie/song though; so I'm sure there's loopholes around it. RYD is showing full battles in their entirety.
You can watch a full video if you add enough commentary and criticism to make it its own thing. Given how much people complain that Lush talks too much I'd imagine it totally qualifies
megadef #wishes he could go back and unexpose himself as a mama nice try plumptits this is lower than when you slithered your way into the moonbounce at the Colorado Cush Carnival and #popped it with ur fatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #24
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 829 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
it would be really strange imo for kotd to explicitly ask them not to view their battles

seeing as they can watch gt battles and url battles

seems weird for someone from that league especially to be like "hey stop watching kotd battles on ur channel"

thats all i can say really, if that is what happened
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #25
StankDaddy

StankDaddy probably likes in here/hair word play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Thats not how my account works. I've had 3p copyright claims upheld and the claimant gets 0 money.

The other reply to you is an iffy situations - they play the battles in their entirety which could be a problem - but then, that's the case with a lot of reaction vids right? hmmm
StankDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #26
JR77

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Imagine if Avocado teamed up with Nikiya for RYD battle league
KOTD would be dead seeing how the Toronto mega events produce 1.5 decent battles on average
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #27
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankDaddy View Post
Thats not how my account works. I've had 3p copyright claims upheld and the claimant gets 0 money.

The other reply to you is an iffy situations - they play the battles in their entirety which could be a problem - but then, that's the case with a lot of reaction vids right? hmmm
Maybe it's different where you are, but the standard thing is that if their claim is upheld, you can't monitize the video and the copyright holder can choose whether to monitize (and keep profits for themselves).
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.

Last edited by Emancee; 05-24-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #28
versesmc
Battle Rap App

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
They probably aren't asking permission from anyone and just hoping they don't get in trouble under fair use with commentary, however the problem I see with it is that they are monetizing the videos (or previously were), showing entire battles, and essentially taking views and profits away from the original copyright owners. There could also be trademark infringement issues by showing logos without licensing.

I don't think it passes as creating a transformative work by showing a minimized version of an entire battle and having friends watch and talk about it. If it were some magic legal loophole, people would do this with every single major motion picture, although I'm not sure who would want to watch that. Fair use is intended to allow the borrowing of portions of work, not complete works.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #29
Profess

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
In the recent Unbias fanmail vid, Chirs expressed interest, when asked about the Watch sereies, to be on the panel.. Angry Fan was mentioned too
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #30
humanfunction
Battle Rapper

humanfunction is not the worst person
From what we all have seen, Avo definitely has the means. I think this is a spectacular idea.

Last edited by humanfunction; 05-24-2017 at 06:11 PM.
humanfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #31
InsertBigTGunSound
BLOCKA BLU BLOCKA

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
InsertBigTGunSound is better than Grind Time AustraliaInsertBigTGunSound is better than Grind Time Australia
def need Jayblac watching it with illmac and lush
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #32
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
if kotd or any league doesn't want avo doing their new new battles i can get that. but if a battle is 5 years old all it might do is introduce that battle to new fans to go watch without the commentary. smh
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:32 AM   #33
Schwarzer_Negger

Called it:

Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #34
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
I'd guess URL doesn't care because they feel Avocado is exposing their battles to a different audience that normally wouldn't watch their battles. Whereas KOTD might care because the people watching Avocado's version might then decide not to click on the actual battle,

Still though, after all Avocado has done for them, I'd think they'd help him out too. Plus if Avocado agreed to only do battles that were 3 years old or older or something like that, that wouldn't really affect their view counts.

I could definitely see URL changing their mind one day, which would suck.
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #35
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

Mentioned: 1452 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
They probably aren't asking permission from anyone and just hoping they don't get in trouble under fair use with commentary, however the problem I see with it is that they are monetizing the videos (or previously were), showing entire battles, and essentially taking views and profits away from the original copyright owners. There could also be trademark infringement issues by showing logos without licensing.

I don't think it passes as creating a transformative work by showing a minimized version of an entire battle and having friends watch and talk about it. If it were some magic legal loophole, people would do this with every single major motion picture, although I'm not sure who would want to watch that. Fair use is intended to allow the borrowing of portions of work, not complete works.
That isn't a good comparison. It isn't even legal to watch feature films without paying for them. RYD isn't bypassing a pay wall.

Watching full battles and providing 30+ minutes of commentary is absolutely transformative. It's way more transformative than tons of gigantically popular reaction channels that do analogous content.
megadef #wishes he could go back and unexpose himself as a mama nice try plumptits this is lower than when you slithered your way into the moonbounce at the Colorado Cush Carnival and #popped it with ur fatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #36
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I just realized something... id much rather watch them watch a battle than watch it myself alone. This watch series is a gamechanger

Rip ux9
Old 05-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #37
thatguy

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
thatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyProehl View Post
I just realized something... id much rather watch them watch a battle than watch it myself alone. This watch series is a gamechanger
What if I told you...

it's the reason we're all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Dizaster is my most favorite battle rapper of all time.
thatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #38
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
What if I told you...

it's the reason we're all here.

There may be no point to releasing battle without the commentary

Rip ux9
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #39
thatguy

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
thatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyProehl View Post
There may be no point to releasing battle without the commentary
if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Dizaster is my most favorite battle rapper of all time.
thatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #40
Laugh N' Stalk
Butt Sweat Brett

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Laugh N' Stalk is better than Grind Time AustraliaLaugh N' Stalk is better than Grind Time Australia
Thank you for all the support, guys. All this RYD talk lately is really cool.

@DrLaughNStalk on Twitter
Laugh N' Stalk is offline   Reply With Quote