Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Fuck you talking bout: the death of KOTD

Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Bigzero

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Bigzero is not the worst person
Fuck you talking bout: the death of KOTD

I told y'all herbs

Back in 2013-2015 when i used to browse this sub.....alot of the shit dominated on here was KOTD content. Now all your weirdo's are wondering - "How did the great white league die out on us".

Here is how it happen:

1. Booking talent that didn't care about their league.

Instead of focusing and going all in on the nerdy/corny shit that their platform represented they wanted the "Urban" audience. So they started booking battlers like Clips, Verb and so forth. They became reliant on URL battlers so much that half of their biggest card would be basically URL cats. All their major events would be KOTD vs URL. But then came a time battlers saw how corny that side is....."these are the same grindtime cats weirdo's just on KOTD". And that feeling wasn't there....a one time joint between Charron vs a Smack rapper might be fun, but doing it over and over is just.....CORNY.

2. Not developing TALENT.

The GZ's was basically just a dumping ground for retarded shit....there was nobody good coming out. They don't invest in talent like A-ward and have no idea on how to develop nothing.

They were good in taking URL sloppy seconds though. Bigg K did come pretty far in KOTD, but he developed a lazy shitty flow and lost on his return to URL(He is washed). They could have did something with Gjonaj, but threw him at Diz quick and burnt out the flame for him.

If URL takes talent that has been on KOTD before their platform they gonna give them smaller battles and transition them to bigger ones. Look at Nitty - millions of views and huge battles.

How is Twork getting more buzz then your fucking KOTD Champion? All that chain has done for Ice is make him looked even more washed as they drag him down with them.

3. Location

The fact is that if you wanted to pick up all the grindtime battlers...you herbs should have put yall self in LA....its clear thats where your biggest battlers came from. Or just stay in Canada and don't try to pick up psycho's like Diz to be the face of your league.

4. Bad managment

This speaks for itself.....this league was run by cornballs....When diz said "You guys are afraid of black people"....i believed it.....also fuck that blood sucking coward King Fly.

in the end...you did it to yourself.....might as well just make the decade card a farwell card too while y'all at it, and let the next league take your spot.

YOU CAN'T COPY RESPECT
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
El Mariachi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
El Mariachi is not the worst person
Where are The Strike 2.5 updates ?
El Mariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
Bigzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
Where are The Strike 2.5 updates ?
On twitter...this site is really dead lmaooo
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Smokey-Clovn
Krakkka Killa

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Smokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICE
I see dead people.

also yeah kinda
Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Feral Linguist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
OP is accurate

i think the KOTD champion concept was a mistake to begin with

they just did a lot wrong

i doubt 'decade' will even happen
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #6
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
KOTD killed themselves simple as. Let's attract casual fans with matchups like Charron vs Verb. Oh we've had a bad event and all the casual fans have left. Woe!
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
However OP is wrong about Grindtime. Going out to Cali and losing is definitely NGL and so GT got some amazing performances from the East Coasters. Losing in Canada however...
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Old 10-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
The real begining of the end was when Dlor stopped battling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
clapburn

clapburn probably likes in here/hair word play
Aside from taking new York talent, I believe having a cornball like bishop acting hella wiggerish and drunk in sweat pants never helped. Just cringe shit. The dudes did good for a while for sure. Lot of good battles past.. abondaned identity, and just fucking awful take that mirror down cornball shit. Gully tk get your girl some merch.. king fly huge faggot. Just a bad team that did a lot tho... prolly cause of organik, lush, and avo
clapburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
griminey

griminey is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapburn View Post
Aside from taking new York talent, I believe having a cornball like bishop acting hella wiggerish and drunk in sweat pants never helped. Just cringe shit. The dudes did good for a while for sure. Lot of good battles past.. abondaned identity, and just fucking awful take that mirror down cornball shit. Gully tk get your girl some merch.. king fly huge faggot. Just a bad team that did a lot tho... prolly cause of organik, lush, and avo
Bishop, cornball or not, definitely contributed in a positive way for kotd. He was the only one who knew how to interact with a bring over guys like ars, nems, swave, Cortez and a slew of others.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
griminey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
Feral Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by griminey View Post
Bishop, cornball or not, definitely contributed in a positive way for kotd. He was the only one who knew how to interact with a bring over guys like ars, nems, swave, Cortez and a slew of others.

are you an actual witness to that or are you just blowing smoke?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #12
Sky2real

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Sky2real is better than Grind Time AustraliaSky2real is better than Grind Time Australia
The return of Bigzero!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #13
steveelite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
steveelite has seen da-feet
"the great white league" you sound like a racist faggot whos gf left them for a white dude now he is eternally butthurt towards white guys. OP is a micro-dicked poorfag.
steveelite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #14
Smokey-Clovn
Krakkka Killa

Smokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveelite View Post
"the great white league" you sound like a racist faggot whos gf left them for a white dude now he is eternally butthurt towards white guys. OP is a micro-dicked poorfag.
Let´s play who´s white
Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 AM   #15
clapburn

Quote:

I feel like with the internet and cel phones organik could have crossed those bridges of interaction. But facts are the dudes are famous and did a lot. I am not mad at it. Wish ganik would have ditched bishop and promoted more white on white crime. Kept judging, and had a decent pot for the winner. Aside from the check, winner gets 500 or a band.. going smack was meh. The next thing is gonna be judged battles brought back. Even fucking wwe has winners
Old 10-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #16
Tecnik

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tecnik is not the worst person
Quote:
The next thing is gonna be judged battles brought back.
Bringing judgements back would probably restore some interest in battling for a large group of the people who used to watch it. This showcase shit is so boring.

Quote:
Even fucking wwe has winners
The perfect argument tbh.
Tecnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #17
brodeezy

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
shit was predictable af lmao

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #18
Emancee

Quote:
I feel like with the internet and cel phones organik could have crossed those bridges of interaction. But facts are the dudes are famous and did a lot. I am not mad at it. Wish ganik would have ditched bishop and promoted more white on white crime. Kept judging, and had a decent pot for the winner. Aside from the check, winner gets 500 or a band.. going smack was meh. The next thing is gonna be judged battles brought back. Even fucking wwe has winners
Not judged battles, but Avo showed the way by introducing a prize for round/ performance of the night which lead to some GOAT rounds from Fresco, Saurus etc... only for Ganik to promptly forget it, doh!
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #19
El Mariachi

El Mariachi is not the worst person
What is really killing them is the lack of events tbh. A league without event or battle is a dead league, simple as that. Back in 2016, The Bunker was probably the best thing to happen in KOTD, at least we had regular events each months, the cards were dope and it was a good opportunity to push up their new talents. URL events aren't always crazy but they have understood having constant actualities is an important thing
El Mariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
griminey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
are you an actual witness to that or are you just blowing smoke?
Am I an actual witness to that? Lol Ugh, no I don't kick it with bishop lol. Based on the past tweets bishop has sent and battlers confirming it? That good enough for you?

Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
griminey

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
What is really killing them is the lack of events tbh. A league without event or battle is a dead league, simple as that. Back in 2016, The Bunker was probably the best thing to happen in KOTD, at least we had regular events each months, the cards were dope and it was a good opportunity to push up their new talents. URL events aren't always crazy but they have understood having constant actualities is an important thing
This is probably one of the biggest factors in their fall. The bunker really was what they needed. The bunker was so smart, they'd usually have a great main event, a couple other good ones and a few smaller names. They really need to find a place to do that again.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
Feral Linguist

Quote:
Am I an actual witness to that? Lol Ugh, no I don't kick it with bishop lol. Based on the past tweets bishop has sent and battlers confirming it? That good enough for you?

that is pretty good yeah but still...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
clapburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Not judged battles, but Avo showed the way by introducing a prize for round/ performance of the night which lead to some GOAT rounds from Fresco, Saurus etc... only for Ganik to promptly forget it, doh!
Tht shit is cool. He is a boss. Some fire rounds. Still dudes wanna gamble and see a winner. If u kick it with your boys drunk on a saturday what u want to bet on.. who gets battle of the night, best round, best back and forth, best overall performance? Fuck no, u want to put 10 bucks on carter deems to smoke arsonal. If arsonal wins u pay 10, if carter zones u get 20. Odds and shit. This shit aint marketable enough cause there are no fucking clear winners. Showcase is garbo.

edit: those were legit the first names that came to my head, not saying set that battle up. Still bet on a winner every fucking battle.. Not ditch saturday night to converse on which mans bars were more effective subjectively. What u do when u ppv a boxing joint and get the crew together?

Last edited by clapburn; 10-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #24
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
when the west coast events post-bunker dried up and it shifted to being New York tier 3 league + with Pat not battling there exclusively and killing it everywhere else the appeal for me kind of waned.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Tht shit is cool. He is a boss. Some fire rounds. Still dudes wanna gamble and see a winner. If u kick it with your boys drunk on a saturday what u want to bet on.. who gets battle of the night, best round, best back and forth, best overall performance? Fuck no, u want to put 10 bucks on carter deems to smoke arsonal. If arsonal wins u pay 10, if carter zones u get 20. Odds and shit. This shit aint marketable enough cause there are no fucking clear winners. Showcase is garbo.
Then why is the biggest league, by far, the one that never had any judged battles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #26
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuntoffs are Jumps View Post
when the west coast events post-bunker dried up and it shifted to being New York tier 3 league + with Pat not battling there exclusively and killing it everywhere else the appeal for me kind of waned.
It was Pat's best move ever to be sure. He sounded so uninspired in Toronto and now he is a free agent, he's killing it.
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
Dusted123

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dusted123 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
Then why is the biggest league, by far, the one that never had any judged battles?
Because of the general crossover appeal to Hip-Hop fans

Has nothing to do with not being judged

a large portion of the nerd audience that watches KOTD still love street shit and most likely came up listening to similar rap at some point
Dusted123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #28
rogermellie

rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusted123 View Post
Has nothing to do with not being judged
Of course but that's obviously not what I was saying. I'm just questioning the idea that battle rap isn't marketable because there aren't judges.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #29
Dusted123

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dusted123 is not the worst person
Quote:
Of course but that's obviously not what I was saying. I'm just questioning the idea that battle rap isn't marketable because there aren't judges.

Word thats fair

I think he has a point though just based on how many people I've gotten to watch battles only to have them ask me "So who won?" when it was over

I wouldn't go as far as to say its not marketable but I think it would be much more marketable if it had clear winners

But it continues to grow without judges so maybe not
Dusted123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #30
rogermellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusted123 View Post
Word thats fair

I think he has a point though just based on how many people I've gotten to watch battles only to have them ask me "So who won?" when it was over

I wouldn't go as far as to say its not marketable but I think it would be much more marketable if it had clear winners

But it continues to grow without judges so maybe not
I hear that and I have had friends ask me the same thing but I don't think it really affects their enjoyment of the event and it definitely isn't a factor in whether they will continue watching.

Even when everything was judged, it was all kind of meaningless and very rarely had any real excitement behind it. I feel like GT/KOTD/DF fans have overstated the importance of judging ever since it left, it can be a fun little add on but I really don't think it would have a big impact on anything if they brought it back unless it came with cash prizes, which would open up a whole load of other issues - how will they be judged & where does the cash prize come from.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by rogermellie; 10-19-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #31
Bigzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveelite View Post
Old 10-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #32
clapburn

Quote:
It is marketable, I suppose I meant not nearly as marketable as it could be. If u like watching two men death poem each other with no clear winner, thats whats up. Personally, id prefer a winner and something clear to bet on. They are the biggest cause they the best.

Oh and the thread started cause dude said listen herbs kotd sucks and dead. I'm saying they shoulda kept judging and stayed in their lane.

Last edited by clapburn; 10-20-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #33
Ass Napkin Ed
NEGRO NAZI

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Ass Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local league
Fake ass Lush One in Bodied? shit wack

I am Malcolm ED
By ANE Means Necessary
Ass Napkin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #34
Smokey-Clovn
Krakkka Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass Napkin Ed View Post
Fake ass Lush One in Bodied? shit wack
Word they did Lush dirty like that....
Old 10-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #35
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
At the same time URL got Avo for a major step up on the visuals. They also took risks and began booking events across the US and now England with SM8. There have been new events as well like Small Room. Smack is also separating the wheat from the chaff. They’re moving forward on all fronts in a great direction.

I know it isn’t about competition in the “spirit” of things but let’s be realistic.
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #36
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Is it a coincidence that kotd fell off at the same time this forum did? Or is it a direct correlation?
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #37
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Is it a coincidence that kotd fell off at the same time this forum did? Or is it a direct correlation?
Both are symptoms of the same core problem, the GT/ Jump Off era moving on from battle rap and a lot of the fans coming in to replace them being more casual fans.
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Old 10-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #38
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
interesting observation.

if i'm not mistaken, RMBVA decreased in activity by the time the bunker started, but still maintained many more regular posters. since KOTD's been consistently flopping after the bunker went, and since this is somewhat of a KOTD-centric forum, members either have no interest or nothing to talk about. the prior is a reason why i stopped posting here, tbh.

i would say discord is a solid unrelated reason for the forum's inactivity too, but we don't even talk about battle rap often on there. maybe a mass loss of interest would have happened regardless of the transition.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #39
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
interesting observation.

if i'm not mistaken, RMBVA decreased in activity by the time the bunker started, but still maintained many more regular posters. since KOTD's been consistently flopping after the bunker went, and since this is somewhat of a KOTD-centric forum, members either have no interest or nothing to talk about. the prior is a reason why i stopped posting here, tbh.

i would say discord is a solid unrelated reason for the forum's inactivity too, but we don't even talk about battle rap often on there. maybe a mass loss of interest would have happened regardless of the transition.

Discord is probably the biggest detractor, but it’s more of people who’ve been in contact over a period of years breaking bread and chewing the fat, as it were.
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #40
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Dre Dennis we in here