Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
URLS next business venture should be...

Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
Peter Reveen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Peter Reveen is not the worst person
URLS next business venture should be...

Owning and operating their own venue. Them owning the bar would help a lot for revenue since they own the fucking place Tbh I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for them to get some investors to do because nyc is expensive but why not out side or somewhere like the Bronx im sure the realesate is slightly lightly cheaper(one would think) Shit and when they're not throwing events they could be promoters and have artist perform on the world most respected stage.

I hope all major leagues make that step to further push battle rap and end a lot of the fuckery that happens at events.

But what about the bunker... It's still reeeeeaaaly green give avo and jpro smite time to turn brown and they'll be think the same. I really hope that's what they're thinking and no longer putting money in the next mans pocket.
Peter Reveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
justin0

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
justin0 is NICEjustin0 is NICEjustin0 is NICEjustin0 is NICEjustin0 is NICEjustin0 is NICE
tbh they should probably copy everything avocado does because dude knows what the fuck hes doing.
justin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Shit cant be cheap in somewhere like new york
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
Battlehogg

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Don't think OP has really thought this idea through. Just go out and buy a bar to throw your events at lol. Doubt SMACK is as rich as he makes himself out to be. Buying a bar capable of holding 1000+ people would cost a fortune. And seeing he has zero experience owning a bar I doubt investors would be jumping at the chance to get on board.

Its a bit different to renting a wherehouse to throw battles at. Which actually wouldn't be such a bad Idea but they'd have to be doing regular events to make it work. Would also have to have the capacity to hold like 1000 people. I'm not sure what the legality of something like that is though.
Battlehogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
iamHBY

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin0 View Post
tbh they should probably copy everything avocado does because dude knows what the fuck hes doing.
Bingo.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
I really don't understand this whole "make URL more like kotd" nonsense that people who don't like URL keep suggesting. There's already one kotd, why do we need two? I don't see how eliminating the things that make the platforms unique is gonna be helpful to anyone, and I def don't see it as any kind of improvement.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1464 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
I really don't understand this whole "make URL more like kotd" nonsense that people who don't like URL keep suggesting. There's already one kotd, why do we need two? I don't see how eliminating the things that make the platforms unique is gonna be helpful to anyone, and I def don't see it as any kind of improvement.
that's true, but I think the reason this is dumb is more that buying a bar/club/venue in New York City would be absurdly expensive. if it was feasible it'd be a good idea, but it's not, so it isn't. I don't think owning a venue is an idea KOTD can take ownership of.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
6000GP
tupac back

6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
that's true, but I think the reason this is dumb is more that buying a bar/club/venue in New York City would be absurdly expensive. if it was feasible it'd be a good idea, but it's not, so it isn't. I don't think owning a venue is an idea KOTD can take ownership of.
Lol, I mean, it is kinda a silly idea for that reason too. Buying warehouse space is one thing. Buying and then operating a night club, getting all the permits and licenses, in NYC no less, is an immense undertaking.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
Marcus

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Marcus is better than Grind Time AustraliaMarcus is better than Grind Time Australia
URLs next business venture should be throwing ppv events. Notice how they strayed away from it. I think because it dents their YouTube views. They should learn how to monetize ppv correctly
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
riffic
RYD ;

riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Lol, I mean, it is kinda a silly idea for that reason too. Buying warehouse space is one thing. Buying and then operating a night club, getting all the permits and licenses, in NYC no less, is an immense undertaking.
especially because the only time they've had venue issues is with the maaajor events. it's not like they're going to lease a place as big as Webster Hall. the Born Legacy events seem like they're doing fine for venue space.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
WillyRockBags

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
WillyRockBags is better than Grind Time AustraliaWillyRockBags is better than Grind Time AustraliaWillyRockBags is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
Shit cant be cheap in somewhere like new york
/thread.... off the chain expensive in nyc
WillyRockBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
Peter Reveen

It's called an investment... BUY spot and convert it. Did I say it wa easy..no BUT if you want to expand a business you gotta spend money. an I mentioned the bar because it's fast quick way to make money. Ever see a restaurant with no bar??? That's because it's a cash cow.

Smack url needs to own and operate they're own venue.

"Scared money don't make any money"
Old 09-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
riffic
RYD ;

would they sell mojitos?
Quote:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 832 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
seems like they're not really interested in doing big shows outside of manhattan. so if they're not even really tryin to do brooklyn i highly doubt they would jump to owning a venue in the bx.

its url, they cant just get a cheap wearhouse space and do pit style battles every time. that means actually purchasing a real venue and owning and operating it which would be a huge undertaking to be honest. they would have to start paying insurance which is rnt as fuck according to x factor but overall nah this aint gonna work since url needs a 1000-2000 person venue. its a heck of a dream homey but no its not realistic so you can stop trying to defend ur idea, no one will judge you. all these cliches are all well and good but nah they dont hold up in this case
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
The big events should stay at big event spaces such as music halls etc. The smaller events such as PGs are fine at record stores or on rooftop spaces etc.

I think Smack is working on an 'if it ain't broke' system and that makes sense. Why buy an absurdly expensive bar or club when the current model is making money and good product?
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
URLs next business venture should be throwing ppv events. Notice how they strayed away from it. I think because it dents their YouTube views. They should learn how to monetize ppv correctly
Youtube views don't make most of the money, the sponsorship by Exclusiv Vodka does. I imagine that is why a PPV is so difficult as they have to please their sponsor above all else. Exclusiv wants exclusive content and so they get it.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.

Last edited by Emancee; 09-20-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Absolut wants exclusive content and so they get it.
you used the wrong vodka and then used the right vodka to describe the content the wrong vodka is after

that's kinda neat
Quote:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #18
riffic
RYD ;

I like how casually running a fully operational bar in NYC is being presented

top priorities for battle leagues in 2017:

- booking top tier names
- making a shift schedule that is fair to all the bartenders
- correspondence with local breweries
- keeping the peanuts stocked
- finding new talent (battlers & karaoke regulars)
Quote:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Isn't there a VFW in Albany or something
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #20
Emancee

Quote:
you used the wrong vodka and then used the right vodka to describe the content the wrong vodka is after

that's kinda neat
Haha! Honestly I skip the promo stuff at the beginnings of battles. I'm usually like 'it's a URL mainstage battle, let's skip forward by about 8 minutes to get through the B/S'
Old 09-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #21
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
What I wish URL (or anybody) would do is recruit more talent from the South. It's so weird to me how the region has been mostly neglected in modern battle rap, even though arguably the two biggest new names in URL are from the Triangle.
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #22
PriceAintRight
All I know is I'm wavy, b

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This idea would be so much more feasible if they were buying property in NJ, but Smack of course would always want to operate in the heart of the NYC boroughs.

What WASN'T suggested though, was that Smack, Beasley, Norbes, and Chico enter a true partnership to own "A" property. Meaning they would have somewhere small scale to host their events not at a loss, and they could still seek larger, Webster Hall-ish venues for their most marquee things like NOME.

For the in between cards, ie Born Legacy? They really, really should own that spot, as that has proven to be a popular event and I'm sure they break bread on that business model.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
PriceAintRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
I like how casually running a fully operational bar in NYC is being presented
lol for real what the h....

this is the least informed idea and least thought out suggestion in the history of time. OP deserves a plaque

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
The Wrist
my first name is The

The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
why don't they just buy this spot ? convert it to whatever...seems to have room.....UNDER half a mil!!!! in convenient ass suffolk county

http://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-O...w5eWJHSndiajB4

album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
Old 09-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #25
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1180 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
i mean los angeles isn't exactly "cheap" either.

here's a warehouse to lease (i dont own the bunker) that is actually cheaper than the bunker by a pretty significant amount and its the same size and has a parking lot (which the bunker does not have). http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/off/5749831207.html

not trying to say this the right way for URL to move or any other league, all i know is that it was one of the smartest things i did for us down in LA. dealing with venues sucks in all ways shapes and forms and leasing our own was really good for a number of reasons, now it might not be financially profitable yet but it is a building block to something greater and thats all that matters to me personally.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #26
IKNOWALL

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
IKNOWALL is not the worst person
um no URL is not trying to cater to a bunch of frat friends like AVO. They are not going to rent some warehouse in Jersey or up state NY
IKNOWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #27
Peter Reveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post

here's a warehouse to lease (i dont own the bunker) that is actually cheaper than the bunker by a pretty significant amount and its the same size and has a parking lot (which the bunker does not have). http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/off/5749831207.html

not trying to say this the right way for URL to move or any other league, all i know is that it was one of the smartest things i did for us down in LA. dealing with venues sucks in all ways shapes and forms and leasing our own was really good for a number of reasons, now it might not be financially profitable yet but it is a building block to something greater and thats all that matters to me personally.

I was hoping you'd chime in. I didn't want to compare the bunker to smack because is not the same and different coasts. They need to host their pgs and smaller events. They proved they can sell out tickets. I'm sure url will be in the red for a bit but what bar/restaurant isn't. They really need to look into this because they even said it them selves booking a venue for hip hop is hard in nyc. Well you know what OWN A VENUE TO BOOK HIPHOP.

@AVOCADO is buying and owning property in the future???
Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #28
IKNOWALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Reveen View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in. I didn't want to compare the bunker to smack because is not the same and different coasts. They need to host their pgs and smaller events. They proved they can sell out tickets. I'm sure url will be in the red for a bit but what bar/restaurant isn't. They really need to look into this because they even said it them selves booking a venue for hip hop is hard in nyc. Well you know what OWN A VENUE TO BOOK HIPHOP.

@AVOCADO is buying and owning property in the future???
What are you talking about they dont have trouble booking PG events that are the size of the bunker event. Avacado does not own an event either he is renting.

URl's problem is booking larger venues. Which would cost a ridiculous amount to own. Some of you fans have little to no business sense
Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #29
Peter Reveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKNOWALL View Post
What are you talking about they dont have trouble booking PG events that are the size of the bunker event. Avacado does not own an event either he is renting.

URl's problem is booking larger venues. Which would cost a ridiculous amount to own. Some of you fans have little to no business sense

Clearly you don't. Do you understand investments. A) invest in a building b) show business model maybe go the route on renting a space like avo and jpro do. GARUNTEE they make more money on bunker events then they did by renting a stage and dealing with promoters c) fans will pay 100+ to be one of the exclusive ones at bl10 wearing the latest yezzys after waiting in line for 5 days. D) marketing, booking other acts to perform at the only stage that matters...

They know branding and branding "the only stage that matters" is genius for booking other leagues to have their events and having the URLs quality of event and footage. Ohhhh yah charging for the URLs staff to film the battle "respect the shooter"....
Old 09-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #30
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i don't know what's in smack's pockets, but i am 99.9% certain that buying and operating property as a battle rap league in NYC is pretty infeasible
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:58 AM   #31
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Clearly you don't. Do you understand investments. A) invest in a building b) show business model maybe go the route on renting a space like avo and jpro do. GARUNTEE they make more money on bunker events then they did by renting a stage and dealing with promoters c) fans will pay 100+ to be one of the exclusive ones at bl10 wearing the latest yezzys after waiting in line for 5 days. D) marketing, booking other acts to perform at the only stage that matters...

They know branding and branding "the only stage that matters" is genius for booking other leagues to have their events and having the URLs quality of event and footage. Ohhhh yah charging for the URLs staff to film the battle "respect the shooter"....
Theres more things wrong with this post than there are words in it
Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 AM   #32
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post

holy shit
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #33
The Wrist
my first name is The

Quote:

dude be honest....no way you're over 16, right?

youtube.com/setherwrist
Old 09-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #34
IKNOWALL

Quote:

Do I understand Investments? I have worked for a boutique investment firm for high network clients before

Do I understand putting on events? I have put on a larger event than KOTD or URL ever has

Do I understand Capital expenditures? Just this year I was in charge of procuring millions of dollars worth of equipment for a multi billion dollar company

Is Your Idea stupid? Absolutely
Old 09-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #35
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
I dont know if that would make it more like KOTD
That shouldn't be something KOTD owns. It would fix allot of venue issues if they could secure some sort of venue.

Copying everything Avo does might be a bit much. But I guess you could say watch what others in your market do and take the positives and find a Smack way to do it.

They just gotta put there own thing on any idea they do

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #36
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
This is SMACK we're talking about. Not an fictional character on a cable program. He isn't Ghost.
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote