Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
When will KOTD break 100K views for a battle again?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #1
Ayo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ayo! is a PY Poster
When will KOTD break 100K views for a battle again?

15 straight battles under 100K (19 of last 20 under 100K). Last battle over 100K was in January 2018 (Smack Killer vs. Serius Jones). Looking at their schedule, I have each of their next 12 battles coming in at under 100K which takes them into June 2018.
Ayo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
they will with this black mass 4 or whatever its called i mean out of all the last battles that they released what ones would you say you would have actually expected them to hit 100 k that didn't? they're views are definetly down though
Old 04-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #3
track 1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
track 1 is not the worst person
battle rap is dying
track 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Errr. probably in less than a week. Cortez vs A Ward is on like 82000 when I got round to watching it and that has only been out for a couple of weeks.
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it

Last edited by Emancee; 04-03-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I think a bigger point is that they haven't dropped a big battle for a while. The last one with two big names -Charron vs Serius- did 100K (Despite the fact it was trash, trash, trash).

It is probably time to panic if their big names don't reach 100K
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Dlor Vs ATM is the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
on another note did anyone see they uploaded a gz battle titled penis vs vagin with lil g dressed as a dick and cody the catch dressed as a pussy? kotd gotta stop playing man
Old 04-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
The parallels with Donít Flop are that thereís been an exodus of a lot of their best talent (the West), I guess the question becomes whether Nems, Moneybagz and I assume Swave etc. will fill the void.

Prolly not to same standard (as basically is east coast b team) but the shit wonít die + it doesnít all seem to hinge on one person everyone thinks is a massive cunt.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripplesunday1 View Post
Dlor Vs ATM is the answer
Talk to eeeeeeem
Old 04-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
what's KOTD?
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
KOTD have been feeling kind of random and directionless since WD7.

I like Nems vs Head Ice as a left field announcement, they got my interest back a bit with that and now I'm just waiting to see what the rest of the card is like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Can someone show the data on monthly views for KOTD for the past 5-10 years on a graph pls? Would be really interesting to see.

KOTD can't keep doing the same shit over and over.. Shit is getting stale...

I've been saying this for years but you can't keep a culture alive and well without new generations of competitive people striving to prove themselves.... But there isn't a new generation who is interested in battle rap and even if there were... How could they prove themselves? There is a total lack of competitiveness in battle rap in general and there isn't really a model for allowing the best of the new generation to rise to the top because there aren't any competitions in battle rap...

I understand how battle rap is still interesting today at a LIVE event if you are an insider who knows a lot of the people in the scene and have followed it for years... But to watch a battle rap video on youtube in 2018? Lol I wouldn't even consider it unless its one of my top 5 battling.

TL DR: Battle rap was put on life support the day it abandoned competitions and real tournaments... The day a "battle" became just a paycheck for each battler-- a battle where nobody wins and nobody loses.. Battle rap has been on life-support since then and it doesn't have a meaningful and lively future unless that essential problem is addressed.

Last edited by Water Mage; 04-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
djpompey
No Coast President

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
djpompey is not the worst person
I have a question about your last point. The highest viewed league in America, URL, has never judged a battle. What makes it good for them and bad for everyone else, if that's what's holding things back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
The day a "battle" became just a paycheck for each battler-- a battle where nobody wins and nobody loses.. Battle rap has been on life-support since then and it doesn't have a meaningful and lively future unless that essential problem is addressed.
djpompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Can someone show the data on monthly views for KOTD for the past 5-10 years on a graph pls? Would be really interesting to see.
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/kingofthedot
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #15
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
It does behoove me to mention in the semi-annual KOTD death pool thread that this past Saturday we had one of the best Canadian events in years (not to take anything away from previous cards, but the combination of an enthusiastic and receptive crowd in Vancouver and finally getting a suffusion of Main page talent was a pretty potent mix).

We've got a VOD up right now for $10 CAD https://vimeo.com/ondemand/kotdregenerate.

Includes:
Chilla Jones vs. Myself
Real Deal vs. Sketch Menace
Marv Won vs. Copasetic
A-Class vs. Patch
Red Shirt Mike vs. Bar J
TGBM vs. Jisho (both of these guys are next up imo, insane writers)

Shameless plug aside, there's been a pretty across the board reduction in views that only URL has really been immune from, which I suspect has a lot to do with YouTube's recommendation algorithms and the difficulty of securing advertisers comfortable with the association of their brand with content in battle culture. The proliferation of local leagues with similar demographics and increased booking power could be a factor as well, but from conversations I've had it seems like the consensus is that the platform is the biggest issue at the moment
Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by illipsis View Post
It does behoove me to mention in the semi-annual KOTD death pool thread
Boom! occupies pride of place alongside bi-monthly death of RMBVA musings.

Iím drunk itís easier to predict failure than success because success is more reliant on chance, and weíre all jaded battle watching cunts bruv, + lest us not forget the infusion of pimply suburban crackerinos that will accompany Bodiedís eventual release.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #17
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Was Marv vs Copasetic as dope as my brain is suggesting it could have been?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #18
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpompey View Post
I have a question about your last point. The highest viewed league in America, URL, has never judged a battle. What makes it good for them and bad for everyone else, if that's what's holding things back?
In a word, prestige.

URL has so much prestige that just being on the card for a big event is so prestigious that this in itself is something worth striving for. Cementing your status by performing well on the main stage is also something worth striving for. As a result, The URL stage has a much higher level of competitiveness.

You could view the proving grounds as a pseudo competition.. The judging is scouting for talent in this league and bringing them to an actual URL event. KOTD tried the same model but failed because they don't have the same talent pool to draw from. Thus in a way, in URL you are competing, the prize is to be on a URL card itself.. And the judging is allowing the best to enter the URL main stage.

If a league as a whole lacks that superlative level of prestige, then the best they can do is create a competition with a prize that carries prestige...

For example, scribble jam and jump off leagues did not have a high level of prestige but winning those competitions did. The reason why winning those competitions gave prestige is because people won a competition that was not easy--they had to beat talented people who tried very hard to win.

The KOTD chain is the only vestige of competition left in KOTD.. And the KOTD chain obviously does not carry the same weight as a scribble jam trophy did. Winning scribble jam meant something, because you had to survive a gauntlet and beat a lot of extremely competitive people in a competition that involved doing something extremely difficult and doing it well. Getting to the finals or winning in scribble jam or WRC was an ordeal and doing so was heroic and legendary.

The current KOTD format as a whole lacks fierce competitiveness and doesn't really entail doing anything extraordinarily difficult. I am not saying that preparing for a written unjudged battle is easy... It's not.. Nor is it easy to have a great performance in a KOTD written battle. But when the scene as a whole lacks fierce competition, that does make it a hell of a lot easier than other competitive endeavors at pro level because when your opponent mails it in you can too.

Fierce competitiveness has always been the backbone and the heart and soul of battle rap... And it's just not there in KOTD. I am not saying having judged battles would be enough to revivify KOTD.. It wouldn't be. I actually think it's too late for KOTD because it has not been truly competitive for so long that the league is so deflated and devoid of inspiration and competitiveness -- And once you reach this point it's probably already too late to go back.

Last edited by Water Mage; 04-04-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #19
Emseed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emseed is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpompey View Post
I've noticed URL battlers are just better performers than KOTD. They might not even have better bars, but their performance overall is just better. Maybe that makes for a better experience? Maybe URL just has more of a battle culture of dedicated fans in New York that KOTD doesn't have.

I barely even watch battles anymore myself. I will def check out that Illipsis vs Chilla Jones battle when it happens though, Illipsis is one of the few I will still watch. But overall I've just grown out of battle rap. The whole concept of it is just silly to me now.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
02400 Hurri

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
02400 Hurri is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user...thedot/monthly

Did they delete a battle 2016/09/28 or am i understanding something wrong. Wonder which battle it was?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #21
MD_BOOMSDAY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MD_BOOMSDAY is not the worst person
I would personally like to see battles, even certain battles, return to a judged format. It sets the hierarchy and pecking order.

Have you ever thought of how strange it is to explain to a new viewer just what is happening on the screen?

"...Okay, so these 2 guys are competing in a rhyme fight but there is no winner or loser but people in the comments will decide someone got 3-0'd or debateable 2-1's.....where did you go? hello?"
MD_BOOMSDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #22
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuntoffs are Jumps View Post
Was Marv vs Copasetic as dope as my brain is suggesting it could have been?
Yes. Cope is on his way to winning numerous awards for acting.

Entertainment > views.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 AM   #23
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_BOOMSDAY View Post
"...Okay, so these 2 guys are competing in a rhyme fight but there is no winner or loser but people in the comments will decide someone got 3-0'd or debateable 2-1's.....where did you go? hello?"
Haha! I feel you, but have you ever tried explaining judging decisions to a newbie? It's not much better. "I know this guy got way more reaction and was far more entertaining, but did you notice this scheme based on kids shows or that bit where he used 8 multis in a verse? So that's why he won... where are you going?... Helloooo?"
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Old 04-05-2018, 06:02 AM   #24
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Haha! I feel you, but have you ever tried explaining judging decisions to a newbie? It's not much better. "I know this guy got way more reaction and was far more entertaining, but did you notice this scheme based on kids shows or that bit where he used 8 multis in a verse? So that's why he won... where are you going?... Helloooo?"
Yeah, I remember a couple years ago I watched 100 bulletz vs shuffle-t with my little bro, and he was super confused by how the judges voted for bulletz. I believe he said something like ďthis shit doesnít make any senseĒ and didnít want to watch any more battles after that
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #25
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Yeah, I remember a couple years ago I watched 100 bulletz vs shuffle-t with my little bro, and he was super confused by how the judges voted for bulletz. I believe he said something like ďthis shit doesnít make any senseĒ and didnít want to watch any more battles after that
Should've told him Bulletz won because Shuffle was a subpar threat and he hadn't even schemed or done a gun bar yet tbh
Old 04-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
Neems is going to choke so bad this is going to be so fun to watch.

I hope ICE takes the clowning approach. He should just joke non stop.
ICeeZeeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
Feral Linguist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
hollow v pat stay will break the internet