Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
KOTD charging $1 for VOD battles on YouTube

Old 10-03-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
Schwarzer_Negger

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
KOTD charging $1 for VOD battles on YouTube

From the Detroit event last night.

Just want to say, this is a huge step in the right direction from them. Basically what me and others have been saying for ages is how shit the PPV purchase was. Using a built in service like YouTube instead of shitty WordPress sites and the like run by some dork is the right move.

I'm considering paying $2 for Sno vs Megadeath and Anubis vs Lexx Luthor. If I heard another battle was crazy I'd cop that too. Hopefully the battlers would be getting some compensation from the purchases, which will incentivise people to turn up and perform well.

I don't think this event will be that successful given that it's a new experience but I'd totally stick with it and eventually people will warm to these microtransactions and bootlegs won't be worth the bother.
Schwarzer_Negger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
track 1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
track 1 is not the worst person
i will never pay for a battle in my life
track 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Laugh N' Stalk
Butt Sweat Brett

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Laugh N' Stalk is better than Grind Time AustraliaLaugh N' Stalk is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by track 1 View Post

@DrLaughNStalk on Twitter
Laugh N' Stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
KinCalm

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
KinCalm is not the worst person
Don't pay for a Sno battle please
KinCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Trust me the battles were all pretty good.
Especially yall who like that street bars shit you will enjoy the battles from this event

If you get any battle you gotta get Be-z vs Times

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
i don't mind this if it extends to their main channel battles.

i wouldn't mind copping the mega joint. but the rest are overpriced.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Nick Vayne
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Nick Vayne has seen da-feet
There's a new Lexx Luthor battle?

Take my money please
Nick Vayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
Especially yall who like that street bars shit you will enjoy the battles from this event
Doubtful
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Doubtful
For GZ level events these were all pretty good
Closer to PGs than most GZ events

Old 10-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
griminey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
griminey is not the worst person
Quote:
You broke bitch.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
griminey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
god level

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Not only do I agree, but I'm gonna rep this.

Maaan, I've been watching and rewatching battles for so long, I'm +1 viewer who probably helped inspire these now "Legends" or "Leagues" to keep pursuing battle rap online. And I've helped bring in quite a few more regular viewers WHO DO pay for battles. I'm also a believer if you did it for the money to begin with you deserve to suffer.

Although if Hollow vs Mook or Ice in Harlem ever happens I might start making videos and donating money to the cultcha or just throw 50 bucks in and leave.
god level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
6000GP
tupac back

6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by god level View Post
I'm also a believer if you did it for the money to begin with you deserve to suffer.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Ass Napkin Ed
NEGRO NAZI

Mentioned: 508 Post(s)
Ass Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Nigga used to be a breast man, now he a Buddhist

I am Malcolm ED
By ANE Means Necessary
Ass Napkin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
nothing I would buy here but I don't mind the idea of this. Like you know those non-Toronto KOTD events where like the headline battle is cool and the rest is very non-Toronto Canadian, I would never buy the PPV but I'd buy The Saurus vs Chedda Cheese for a buck
JC
All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzer_Negger View Post
From the Detroit event last night.

Just want to say, this is a huge step in the right direction from them. Basically what me and others have been saying for ages is how shit the PPV purchase was. Using a built in service like YouTube instead of shitty WordPress sites and the like run by some dork is the right move.

I'm considering paying $2 for Sno vs Megadeath and Anubis vs Lexx Luthor. If I heard another battle was crazy I'd cop that too. Hopefully the battlers would be getting some compensation from the purchases, which will incentivise people to turn up and perform well.

I don't think this event will be that successful given that it's a new experience but I'd totally stick with it and eventually people will warm to these microtransactions and bootlegs won't be worth the bother.
Paid for both. They are well worth the $2.

Also, agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts, Sir.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
grandgroove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
I clicked on the battles as I'm subscribed on YouTube but didn't see payment options. I'll look again. Love seeing new talent and for sure stoked to see Sno vs Megadef.
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
PriceAintRight
All I know is I'm wavy, b

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I plan on buying Sno vs. Megadef later myself. Hey @AVOCADO , I think this is a really good idea and I would have honestly bought some of the Bunker stuff for a $1 as well. This allows a low level economic entry point for people like me. While I'm not entirely broke, dropping $20 on a PPV all the time isn't feasible.

Sometimes though, ionwanna have to wait allll the way until it drops though, and this still gets me that early access. I fuck with it.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
PriceAintRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:25 AM   #18
Schwarzer_Negger

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by god level View Post
Not only do I agree, but I'm gonna rep this.

Maaan, I've been watching and rewatching battles for so long, I'm +1 viewer who probably helped inspire these now "Legends" or "Leagues" to keep pursuing battle rap online. And I've helped bring in quite a few more regular viewers WHO DO pay for battles. I'm also a believer if you did it for the money to begin with you deserve to suffer.

Although if Hollow vs Mook or Ice in Harlem ever happens I might start making videos and donating money to the cultcha or just throw 50 bucks in and leave.
Man this is totally cool, and it needs to be a mix of both. These battles eventually need to go on the main channel for free. But surely, as someone who plans to not pay for battles, you should be happy that there is an easy way for people who DO want to pay for battles to do that? So that the money goes into making better events and matchups?
Schwarzer_Negger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #19
6000GP
tupac back

Sno vs Mega was cool. Really simple to pay for, also.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:53 AM   #20
god level

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzer_Negger View Post
Man this is totally cool, and it needs to be a mix of both. These battles eventually need to go on the main channel for free. But surely, as someone who plans to not pay for battles, you should be happy that there is an easy way for people who DO want to pay for battles to do that? So that the money goes into making better events and matchups?
Facts. I was just speaking for the low lives. This cultcha's filled with them. And to no avail, this cultcha speaks only about talking shit
god level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #21
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Not gonna make a new thread but this is relavant to the thread:

Old 10-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #22
track 1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
track 1 is not the worst person
a majority of these people are not going to pay for these battles and you won't see people like sno or just avg battlers have a great performance.
track 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #23
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vayne View Post
There's a new Lexx Luthor battle?

Take my money please
What money?

I saw what you were wearing in your last battle.
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #24
ux9 u so fine

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
ux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australiaux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australia
IDC about paying for battles ; I buy every ppv that comes out ,

I just think these actual battles are a strange choice to charge for cuz most of them people wouldn't watch for free
#amilyin?, deathtothehebs, #stormfrontiskkkotd, #youknowheistryingtokillhegoodchristainwhitemansup rise, #turnerdiaries, #14/88, #negronazi, #antonlavey #charlesmansonandnicholasshrek, #whitepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Just came in here to say nigger and see if I get banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEEZY View Post
Don't drink n post kids
ux9 u so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #25
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine View Post
IDC about paying for battles ; I buy every ppv that comes out ,

I just think these actual battles are a strange choice to charge for cuz most of them people wouldn't watch for free
They said they're just using this event to test the feature.

I don't think they're doing this event thinking they're making allot of money. But if they're allot of glitches to fix it's not like they lose allot of money.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
ux9 u so fine

ux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australiaux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
They said they're just using this event to test the feature.
yea that makes sense to me ; I can understand that ;

tho id be mad if I were 1 of the battlers if I didn't know my battle would need to be paid for (ensuring as little views as possible ) unless I got paid more or got a % of the sales of the battle
#amilyin?, deathtothehebs, #stormfrontiskkkotd, #youknowheistryingtokillhegoodchristainwhitemansup rise, #turnerdiaries, #14/88, #negronazi, #antonlavey #charlesmansonandnicholasshrek, #whitepower
Quote:
Quote:
Don't drink n post kids
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #27
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:
if I didn't know my battle would need to be paid for (ensuring as little views as possible ) unless I got paid more or got a % of the sales of the battle
what do you even mean? all battles will drop for free.... first one drops oct 12th.

this is absolutely no different than any past VOD we have done over the last 4+ years other than using youtube instead of vimeo lol

crazy how much a different platform makes people think this is some new shit were doing lol

Last edited by King Fly; 10-06-2016 at 02:15 PM.
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
ux9 u so fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fly View Post
what do you even mean? all battles will drop for free.... first one drops oct 12th.

this is absolutely no different than any past VOD we have done over the last 4+ years other than using youtube instead of vimeo lol

crazy how much a different platform makes people think this is some new shit were doing lol
ah ok I didn't know that

of course its different in that case ; I wasn't knocking it I just didn't have the right information (I didn't look into it at all )
Quote:
Quote:
Don't drink n post kids
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #29
ux9 u so fine

Quote:

does it get reposted when its free or does the price just get removed ? I'm wondering for the sake of views ; will it pop back up on peoples subscription list ?
Quote:
Quote:
Don't drink n post kids
Old 10-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #30
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
does it get reposted when its free or does the price just get removed ? I'm wondering for the sake of views ; will it pop back up on peoples subscription list ?
they will be new videos like always. the VOD is just one angle - raw footage. no audio fixes, or edits or anything like that.
they will get edited and audio leveled and then be uploaded on the GZ page

only reason we did it on the main page is because thats where the feature is enabled - we dont have the option of doing it on the GZ page.

was just a test to see how it all works through youtube and what it would take to do VOD on there.

we probably should of informed people a lot better on what it was, why we were doing it etc, and thats on me. we just got this option and i rushed to make it work for this event. live and learn though
Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #31
ThisIsBattleRap

ThisIsBattleRap is not the worst person
Quote:
the VOD is just one angle - raw footage. no audio fixes, or edits or anything like that.
they will get edited and audio leveled and then be uploaded on the GZ page
I don't understand this about battle rap.

Surely the paying consumer, should get the best edited video possible? They are PAYING for a product. As a paying consumer I'd want to get the highest quality product possible. Perhaps adding in bonus features to the VOD, like a interview with the two battlers, behind the scenes footage, dirty batch bars? Literally anything that adds quality to the product that's being paid for atleast. Then just upload the edited battle to YT, without those features.

I feel less inclined to pay for raw footage, if I know a higher quality product will come out in a few weeks for free. Again I made this point in another post, as a consumer paying for that raw footage feels more like a donation than a gain. Consumers want to gain something out of the product or service they have bought. Be it satisfaction, necessity, whatever. They don't want to donate. Whats to gain, when they can just get a better product for free in a couple weeks?

Last edited by ThisIsBattleRap; 10-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.
ThisIsBattleRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #32
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBattleRap View Post
I don't understand this about battle rap.

Surely the paying consumer, should get the best edited video possible? They are PAYING for a product. As a paying consumer I'd want to get the highest quality product possible. Perhaps adding in bonus features to the VOD, like a interview with the two battlers, behind the scenes footage, dirty batch bars? Literally anything that adds quality to the product that's being paid for atleast. Then just upload the edited battle to YT, without those features.

I feel less inclined to pay for raw footage, if I know a higher quality product will come out in a few weeks for free. Again I made this point in another post, as a consumer paying for that raw footage feels more like a donation than a gain. Consumers want to gain something out of the product or service they have bought. Be it satisfaction, necessity, whatever. They don't want to donate. Whats to gain, when they can just get a better product for free in a couple weeks?
well - our VOD (where we dont have a live PPV) - happens about once a year, if that (where the raw one angle is used) and over the years our fans have expressed they would rather have the product delivered as soon as possible (some have even said just do audio if its easier) for them to watch asap rather than waiting the week or so it would take to actually edit the videos for a VOD. so in reality all you said above doesnt really apply because 99.9% of our PPV's are live and feature interviews, commentary, BTS etc. - even the VOD of the live PPV is just an auto-recording of the live program - in HD, with camera switches and ppv commetary

Guess all in all - what you are paying for - is early access. nobody is forcing you to pay or really even asking you to pay as everything will drop for free - but if you feel like you wanna watch them early - then you have that option if you feel so inclined.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #33
ThisIsBattleRap

Lol @kingfly you cant say my post doesn't apply, when KOTD are currently exploring the VOD option. You brought up live PPV, but we are discussing VOD here which is what my post was based on.

Early access only appeals to the diehard fan. If the VOD was of higher quality, with bonus features it is more likely to appeal to the casual fan, which is the bigger market of the two (diehard and casual). In addition the VOD on the KOTD channel has been promoted poorly and even the live PPV option for events is promoted poorly. Better promotion is required for both.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #34
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
well - our VOD (where we dont have a live PPV) - happens about once a year, if that
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBattleRap View Post
Lol @kingfly you cant say my post doesn't apply, when KOTD are currently exploring the VOD option. You brought up live PPV, but we are discussing VOD here which is what my post was based on.

Early access only appeals to the diehard fan. If the VOD was of higher quality, with bonus features it is more likely to appeal to the casual fan, which is the bigger market of the two (diehard and casual). In addition the VOD on the KOTD channel has been promoted poorly and even the live PPV option for events is promoted poorly. Better promotion is required for both.
my quote is why i say it doesnt apply. ONLY vod isnt something we do very often if at all. we experimented with it this way on youtube once - yes, are we going to do it again - probably not. (it was about seeing how the new feature worked on youtube more than anything else)

yes the vod on the kotd channel was 1000000000% poorly promoted - as i pointed out in my first post that you quoted from.
The live option for events is also not promoted poorly (it is if this forum is your only source of info) - but there are targeted FB campaigns, adword campaigns, multiple fb/twitter/IG posts DAILY about it, and nearly every single video released on the kotd channel mentions it as well, during events there are PR campaigns that go out to major websites and news outlets. Not sure what else beside take out billboards or print ads in magazines that we could do. Thanks though.

Last edited by King Fly; 10-07-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #35
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
I don't know how to buy the battles ?? Kotd should market this better.
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #36
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
All it says is this battle requires payment or something ??? So if I can't buy it from YouTube why is it even on there at all ???
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #37
ThisIsBattleRap

Quote:
my quote is why i say it doesnt apply. ONLY vod isnt something we do very often if at all. we experimented with it this way on youtube once - yes, are we going to do it again - probably not. (it was about seeing how the new feature worked on youtube more than anything else)

yes the vod on the kotd channel was 1000000000% poorly promoted - as i pointed out in my first post that you quoted from.
The live option for events is also not promoted poorly (it is if this forum is your only source of info) - but there are targeted FB campaigns, adword campaigns, multiple fb/twitter/IG posts DAILY about it, and nearly every single video released on the kotd channel mentions it as well, during events there are PR campaigns that go out to major websites and news outlets. Not sure what else beside take out billboards or print ads in magazines that we could do. Thanks though.
Hey man thanks for the reply.
Norbes tweeting out they are doing a crowd funding campaign, is a form of marketing. But not a good one. I know KOTD do market/promote, but I think it can be done better.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
brodeezy

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
why does kingfly still work for kotd

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is online now   Reply With Quote