Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Its "Official"... "Willy" Has Quit Watching Battles..... .... ... .. .

Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
WillyJoeBoo

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
WillyJoeBoo is a PY Poster
Its "Official"... "Willy" Has Quit Watching Battles..... .... ... .. .

thats it for me... im done as of todays date... now notice rhat i did not say i was gonna quit posting... i said im done "watching" battles... i still have a lot of great knowledge to share with new fans and many un finished discussions about the classics... im far from done "posting"...

problem is that i freeze up these days... every time i go to watch a battle i get to the youtube screen... and then i just freeze for like a few minutes usually... i cant get myself to hit the play button... and the few tines that i did maje it past that point lately... i still exited back out in less than a half round and start looking at shoes or other shit online... its just not in me anymore... i cant do it

with that said... we have an important issue to dicuss... the question of discussion for this thread is as follows...

"whats up with the lack of new talent in battle rap?

discuss
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
HEXANE
Caucasian Filipino

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
HEXANE is a PY Poster
we don't need a new talent, we need something "different" or "unique" battle rappers.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
DDSS
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
DDSS is a PY Poster
nooooooooooooo
DDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Dark Magic

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Dark Magic is not the worst person
What all these new guys seem to be lacking is flow.. They seem to think that they don't need to actually rap anymore

Sno and Ty Law are 2 of the only ones I think have potential, but they still need work
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Ide Jeht

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ide Jeht is not the worst person

Jimmy loves his shoes!
Ide Jeht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJoeBoo View Post

thats it for me... im done as of todays date... now notice rhat i did not say i was gonna quit posting... i said im done "watching" battles... i still have a lot of great knowledge to share with new fans and many un finished discussions about the classics... im far from done "posting"...

problem is that i freeze up these days... every time i go to watch a battle i get to the youtube screen... and then i just freeze for like a few minutes usually... i cant get myself to hit the play button... and the few tines that i did maje it past that point lately... i still exited back out in less than a half round and start looking at shoes or other shit online... its just not in me anymore... i cant do it

with that said... we have an important issue to dicuss... the question of discussion for this thread is as follows...

discuss
post scared me

thought this meant you were gone for good
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
tomHAHA

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
tomHAHA is not the worst person
Things go in cycles Willy. You're a seasoned fan who's favourite battlers have been around a while.

Verb is quitting, Holla been around a while and although he is still one of the best - you know his style etc. Magic been doing this shit for years too now.

The new talent (albeit shit) is bringing in new fans with them.

I'm surprised people like @gregrieke20 are still into this tbqh

tomHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Damn... Thought we finally got rid of you...
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Mr.Mumbles905
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Mr.Mumbles905 is a PY Poster
Maybe its you not actually watching the battles make you miss some new talent.
THere's allot more to sift through but they're still great battles
Just watch ones you anticipate and ones that get buzzed about.

Verb is retiring soon and you not gonna support his lap around the track. Don't be a sellout. I need that Willy review of his battles coming up.

You not going to watch the B Magic battles coming up vs Rum Nitty? Who's going to explain why Nitty had no chance and let the new fans know why Magic won

Last edited by Mr.Mumbles905; 04-17-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Mr.Mumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
AREpee420
Seasoned Fan

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
AREpee420 is a PY Poster
dude.. willy i totally agree.. well not that ive completely stopped watching battles, but i barely can watch most of them anymore or actually make it through most of them. idk if im becoming bored with most of the shit or what?! im certainly losing interest in most of these shits coming out.. its like 20 different leagues, shit is maybe just becomin to over saturated for me
AREpee420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
EchosMyron

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
EchosMyron is not the worst person
People need to start embracing a wide range of different styles and approaches like in the heydays of GT.

Battle rappers feel like they have to conform to popular trends. This used to be something that 2nd rate clones did. Now the best battlers in the world are afraid to have their own style.

There are still some outliers clinging to their originality, but more and more everyone is starting to sound the same.

It's even worse with newcomers where there's maybe 3~4 (pushing it) that actually stand out from the crowd in any meaningful regard. The rest are maybe good for one battle where they have some nice punchlines (usually punchlines as its the current widely accepted form of being nice) but then fail to repeat that success because they have no substance or to fall back on.

KOTD fresh coast continuing to gain prominence is the only way I can see battle rap getting interesting again, the URL scene is too caught up with its narrow minded concept of "bars" to allow anything truly special to come about.

When the biggest league out that is considered the pinnacle of achievement, and where every battler wants to end up, has such stylistic limitations associated with it (true or untrue) then of course everyone is gonna play it safe and stay within that framework.

If I hear another rapper say "that's wordplay!" proudly after some dull ass redundant scheme I might spontaneously combust.
EchosMyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
thetechnoir

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
thetechnoir is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREpee420 View Post
dude.. willy i totally agree.. well not that ive completely stopped watching battles, but i barely can watch most of them anymore or actually make it through most of them. idk if im becoming bored with most of the shit or what?! im certainly losing interest in most of these shits coming out.. its like 20 different leagues, shit is maybe just becomin to over saturated for me
if we want to analyze it i think there are probably a few key similar causes of this 'problem'

i didnt read but i think i saw a thread recently about if you watch less battles than 2 yrs ago or w/e. my answer was actually no, i watch more probably. but its still not many. i slowed down a lot in maybe 2011.

right now i basically watch one or two ppl most of the time, friends, live events (then i am not picky at all when in the right mood, i will enjoy ppl i wouldnt normally) and might rarely chance one that gets hyped or something ive been interested in for a long time like bender big t unless every one says its awful or qp v qp and stuff.

i think degree of uniqueness in such a saturated state becomes more difficult and with extended exposure you expire the unique styles or characters and most of them get cloned or duplicated at least a bit or a few times.

i think just watching as a fan for years in this era (as opposed to sitting on rap music for 4 months waiting for one new battle to drop) after a while you just get a bit tired of repitition

i think for someone like you willy, or for me too, if a battle of the quality - but different and new of say a jc vs chilla comes out, it will always be enjoyable or worth watching. but otherwise with battling any way, things just get repetitive and boring - impressive or not. i think besides really unique, but not forced or cringey unique people the only other way i would gain more interest again (right now i might watch a new battle every few months outside of like i said friends, live, or the odd few favs) is if there were heavy changes to format. i dont have a good suggestion either. and most experiments fail. i even wouldnt mind 90 second rounds i think, i would probably be way more into that for -most- battles.

i would guess bordem/exposure in multi year current era fans is the primary cause. battling for single individual fans just seems to have limited longevity beyond the odd stand out or interesting change and hell its probably why some battlers care way less about battling or watch it way less than many of their fans. battling just seems to have a high turn over potential for fans now.

Last edited by thetechnoir; 04-17-2014 at 07:58 PM.
thetechnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Wake
antilluminati

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Wake is not the worst person
Dudes surfing shoes instead of battles.. Where's your love for THE CULTURE???
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
Wake
antilluminati

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Wake is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchosMyron View Post
People need to start embracing a wide range of different styles and approaches like in the heydays of GT.
Agree on this though, people are letting the URL trolls get to them, there's enough gun toting streetrappers out there thank you very much, it's not what the scene needs really.
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
Mr.Mumbles905
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Mr.Mumbles905 is a PY Poster
I think that battles are too long to hold the over saturation Battles getting longer not a good thing
Mr.Mumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
at one point i watched every battle on youtube on some drect shit. now im a bit bitter but still watch one a day

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
WillyJoeBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
Damn... Thought we finally got rid of you...
i heard this kid is like otbva's b!tch

how tragic... being the bitch of a little kids forum
Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #18
AREpee420
Seasoned Fan

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
AREpee420 is a PY Poster
Quote:

AREpee420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
MEGADEF
gunbars.edu

Mentioned: 365 Post(s)
MEGADEF is not the worst person
Willy will drop a "I told you so" thread after the B Magic vs Rum Nitty battle
drops,..even if it was a competitive battle, even if Rum dominates.

Willy will watch the battle, and he will gargle on B Magic's nuts as usual.

B Magic is in my top five,..so this isn't hate towards him, just saying Willy will not stop watching battles.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREpee420 View Post
In 2011/2012 battlers used to go to those leagues with less enthusiasm, because they wouldn't get you as many views. The problem is that battlers have applied that work-man like mentality to the major leagues, particularly with URL rappers transferring to KOTD, and KOTD rappers transferring to Don't Flop. People used to battle for pride and bragging rights, whereas now they're just battling for income. And the new aspirants who're battling for pride aren't very talented, partly because they never had to come up as freestylers, so the new generation have had it too easy.

Battlers also aren't as susceptible to criticism any more, partly because there are SO many battlers to criticize now, and so many battles and vlogs getting distributed everyday, so it's easy to escape or not notice resistance, and that will make battlers more complacent and less desperate to impress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post
What all these new guys seem to be lacking is flow.. They seem to think that they don't need to actually rap anymore
A lot of them can flow well enough. The problem is that most of them are so unthoughtful and ignorant they don't realize that you can write about other stuff besides word-play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mumbles905 View Post
Maybe its you not actually watching the battles make you miss some new talent.
THere's allot more to sift through but they're still great battles
Name the "great battles" we are missing? Classics aren't just dwindling as a percentage, there just aren't as many of them numerically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnoir View Post
i think besides really unique, but not forced or cringey unique people the only other way i would gain more interest again (right now i might watch a new battle every few months outside of like i said friends, live, or the odd few favs) is if there were heavy changes to format. i dont have a good suggestion either. and most experiments fail. i even wouldnt mind 90 second rounds i think, i would probably be way more into that for -most- battles.
I think the leagues should revive battles over beats, BUT in a very organized fashion, no more of this drunken freestyling over instrumentals during some sort of after-party, it should be pre-mediated and carefully strategized like a headlining battle.

Last edited by My Kall; 04-17-2014 at 08:05 PM.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
Trill Murray

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Trill Murray is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchosMyron View Post

Battle rappers feel like they have to conform to popular trends. This used to be something that 2nd rate clones did. Now the best battlers in the world are afraid to have their own style.

There are still some outliers clinging to their originality, but more and more everyone is starting to sound the same.

It's even worse with newcomers where there's maybe 3~4 (pushing it) that actually stand out from the crowd in any meaningful regard. The rest are maybe good for one battle where they have some nice punchlines (usually punchlines as its the current widely accepted form of being nice) but then fail to repeat that success because they have no substance or to fall back on.

KOTD fresh coast continuing to gain prominence is the only way I can see battle rap getting interesting again, the URL scene is too caught up with its narrow minded concept of "bars" to allow anything truly special to come about.

When the biggest league out that is considered the pinnacle of achievement, and where every battler wants to end up, has such stylistic limitations associated with it (true or untrue) then of course everyone is gonna play it safe and stay within that framework.

If I hear another rapper say "that's wordplay!" proudly after some dull ass redundant scheme I might spontaneously combust.
damn that shit about the top battlers following the main trend is spot on
you play for the worst team and you the 3rd string option,you gettin yo ass whooped, and everybody on the first team watchin, this we clap hammers here batman premiere that clip release got at least 13 droppin!!" -JC against Chilla
Trill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #22
Dark Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kall View Post
A lot of them can flow well enough. The problem is that most of them are so unthoughtful and ignorant they don't realize that you can write about other stuff besides word-play.
Honestly no they can't... Especially not Danny Myers, I don't know how you can watch a Danny Myers battle and say he can flow.. His bars are sooo drawn out to the point its not even rapping anymore.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #23
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post
Honestly no they can't... Especially not Danny Myers, I don't know how you can watch a Danny Myers battle and say he can flow.. His bars are sooo drawn out to the point its not even rapping anymore.
I agree Danny Myers has delivery inadaquacies. But my primary complaint about Danny Myers is his refusal to develop personals. But guys like Rum Nitty, Sno, Ty Law can all flow well enough for acapella battles, but they also don't rap about extraordinary concepts or really challenge their opponents back-ground, home towns, history, upbringing? BTW I am fan of Ty Law, and I find Sno very watchable.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #24
J.V.L.
Banned

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
J.V.L. is not the worst person
Quote:

discuss
You have ADHD. You don't even really like battle rap. You just click around the forums cause it's like crack for you. I'm the same way. I can't even watch movies or tv shows anymore without wanting to turn it off and look at something else.
J.V.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #25
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:

I don't do otbva..

Willy if your tryna hurt my feelings you are gonna have to do better then that...
Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
JustJ123

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mumbles905 View Post
I think that battles are too long to hold the over saturation Battles getting longer not a good thing
Yup.

I said this in a topic recently, and Drect was saying the same shit on Battle Rap Arena the other day.

Not only do people put themselves out there too much, but they destroy any potential rematch. Giving one dude 20 minutes to insult his opponent takes away material from the next 3 opponents and anything you could have said in a rematch has already been said by you. Or the next 3 dudes.

I'd rather see one dude get paid and have 3-4 short battles from that 1 check than take 1 hour long battle and make the same amount.

All these new guys need to switch over to short rounds and adapt their styles to work better in short rounds.

The current established names have already fucked themselves by taking so many long battles but the new guys can do something about it before we've heard everything there is to be said about them.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #27
WillyJoeBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
I don't do otbva..
dont u a lie 2 me now young man lmfao
Old 04-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
Ill give you till Verbs battle which will drop on bootlegs maby Sunday? Yeah quit now you can get 3 days in. lol.
ICeeZeeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #29
Franklin Drebin
Police Squad

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Franklin Drebin is better than Grind Time AustraliaFranklin Drebin is better than Grind Time Australia
@EchosMyron explained it perfectly
Franklin Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #30
bobbylight

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
To be honest I barely enjoy watching battles anymore. Shit is pretty played out.
bobbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
Dark Magic

Are you saying you're not gonna watch Magic VS Rum Nitty? Bender VS Big T? Bigg K vs Saurus?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #32
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Quote:
dont u a lie 2 me now young man lmfao
Willy willy willy..

I make you my bitch every thread you start..
Why go to otbva when all my bitches here?

Silly willy crack is for whores
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #33
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Battlers have to stop aspiring to URL street rappers. Ars, Calicoe, Hollow etc are all great, but they're not constantly switching lanes like Saurus, Charron and a lot of other KOTD dudes. I swear even UK rappers are dropping gun bars now (and not always ironically) - shouldn't they use knife bars? Either way, URL need not be seen as the pinnacle of battle rap. There are a lot of dope non-URL style battles which are more fun and less about click-clacking toasters and making bread.

If people don't stay in their lanes and stop joining every single bandwagon, battle rap will stagnate. That's why I'm so hyped about Caustic vs Verb cause it's a style clash where the white dude won't (hopefully) suddenly be letting the machete spray. Also, I miss Hollohan battles, when's Hollohan-Arsonal gonna go down? People just have to stick to what they're good at; which more often than not (at least in KOTD) is not gun bars/gang shit.
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #34
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
i think we would have preferred if you continued watching battles but stopped posting
Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #35
Dark Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowzzrevenge View Post
If people don't stay in their lanes and stop joining every single bandwagon, battle rap will stagnate. That's why I'm so hyped about Caustic vs Verb cause it's a style clash where the white dude won't (hopefully) suddenly be letting the machete spray.
Caustic been rapping about guns though...

Plus he's one of the only battlers to have a real gun charge iirc
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #36
Kingpen
BANNED CAMP

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Kingpen is not the worst person
dont do it, the world will explode.
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

*SALTINE SWAGGA CREW*
*DOES CALISTHENICS WITH BIG T CREW*
*ANAL DESTRUCTION TASK FORCE COMMANDER*
Kingpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #37
ekelon
Banned

Mentioned: 591 Post(s)
ekelon Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokesekelon Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokesekelon Three rounds of Loe Pesci chokes
Tbh ppl like this guy have made supporting battle rap hard....

No matter how good someone does, people like this no life will never give up to try and force his opinions on everyone else and change their outlook.

It's sad really...to waste your life lying and forcing people to think like you.
ekelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #38
VillageRam

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
VillageRam is not the worst person
I quit watching basketball but I'm still going to sit at the bar everyday and talk about Jordan and Magic. Fuck right off. Say that shit at any sports bar and get laughed at. Shit is no different just cause this is the internet. You are a fool.
VillageRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #39
WillyJoeBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageRam View Post
I quit watching basketball but I'm still going to sit at the bar everyday and talk about Jordan and Magic. Fuck right off. Say that shit at any sports bar and get laughed at. Shit is no different just cause this is the internet. You are a fool.
grrrrrrrrr..... such a mean post tuff guy... lmfao
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #40
TheProcess
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TheProcess is a PY Poster
i get the feeling this is the same way people are starting to feel about your threads
TheProcess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
willy confirmed colin powell