Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
new "highschool" battle... 1.7Mil views

Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
new "highschool" battle... 1.7Mil views

when i see this type of shit it makes me think of how kotd can easily reach the broader youtube audience (start by shorter videos and make it competitive again) ppl are interested in fuck about battle rap. just not the way that it is presented today...

this views ain't from our people

channel with 10k subscribers..that im guessing they got from this video

and dont even get me started about pedro vs jared

ganik dishes out minimum tens of thousands everytime, yet these guys doing views in the millions during their lunch break for free

u can say its luck but they have moreee than enuff ressource n talent to make viral videos..i think they confused "selling out" with making something watchable
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
SpecialOh

SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
#authenticity

ain't nobody outside the battle community wanna see DangerDave vs Hawaaiinmummifiedfig

we need shit like.. Hollow Da Don vs the mail man
battling fruit at the grocery store
challenging cops to rap battle to fight ticket

Last edited by SpecialOh; 07-02-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Breakneck
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Breakneck is better than Grind Time AustraliaBreakneck is better than Grind Time Australia
Who gives a fuck about YouTube views tho? They don't make their money off that tbh
Old 07-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
uuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarctica
tht was horrible
Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Mentioned: 962 Post(s)
Dank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post
we need shit like.. Hollow Da Don vs the mail man
battling fruit at the grocery store
challenging cops to rap battle to fight ticket

thats exactly who i wanna see hollow battle, fuck seeing him against actual competition put him against a mail man

the nfl needs to start pitting the super bowl winners vs some toddlers
MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Dank Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
SuckaFreeCashier

Mentioned: 638 Post(s)
SuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local league
Special you've brought up stupid shit like this before. You clearly don't understand the difference between having a channel that provides content with click bait titles that are meant to go viral vs. having a channel that can provide sustainable entertainment for fans / subscribers.

KOTD isn't trying to be the next "insert your youtube hero who does lame shit for views" here.
But at least KOTD balances its unscrupulousness with some equitable intentions, like providing a few working-class men with a lawful income, whereas in this era more and more channels and media outlets are nothing but predatory tabloidesque trouble-makers.
SuckaFreeCashier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
SuckaFreeCashier

SuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local leagueSuckaFreeCashier is a vet in their local league
Fuck it just for fun, I looked at that channel. That battle you posted (pedro vs Jared) has 150k views. They also have a video titled "Jared's freestyle (spitting bars) ....... with not even 3k views.

Fuck it, after those two vids you posted, the next highest viewed video they have has less than 40k views. There is nothing impressive about getting a click-bait titled video to go viral. Stop acting like doing this is good for battle rap.
But at least KOTD balances its unscrupulousness with some equitable intentions, like providing a few working-class men with a lawful income, whereas in this era more and more channels and media outlets are nothing but predatory tabloidesque trouble-makers.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaFreeCashier View Post
Special you've brought up stupid shit like this before. You clearly don't understand the difference between having a channel that provides content with click bait titles that are meant to go viral vs. having a channel that can provide sustainable entertainment for fans / subscribers.

KOTD isn't trying to be the next mac lethal
Fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
When I saw the rapper was called Pedro, for a half second I was hoping it would be DF's Pedro. The thought of him going into schools and spitting nothing but mom and knife-you-up bars would be hilarious.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Smokey-Clovn
Krakkka Killa

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Smokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICE
Hollow vs the mail man I'd watch that Hollow vs the seagull was a classicc
Old 07-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
just because a high school rap battle made 1.7 million views doesn't mean people are genuinely interested in battling, let alone hip-hop. battling is just a novelty to a lot of people. i can't count how many times my friends and i have jokingly gotten into a rap battle and yet none of theme even care to hear about URL. hell, some of them don't even listen to rap and still tried to freestyle. of course that doesn't mean anything objective, but it totally reflects the fact that rone's 3rd against big t went insanely viral across facebook (20 million views if i remember correctly?) and the battle has yet to break 700k. it boosted its views a bit for sure, but it most likely did nothing notable for KOTD in the long run.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
system
Shit.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
system is not the worst person
This is way better, he even mentions GT, URL, and KOTD. Not sure if he's biting or anything tho

system is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Cheddah12

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Cheddah12 is not the worst person
Sad to see special fall so quickly, such a shit poster now smh
Cheddah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
CBA

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
I think what Special is implying is that KOTD should seriously consider an approach where the battles focus on humor more often and aren't taken so seriously. Could be wrong though. KOTD has come a really far way from where they first started, they were widely considered a joke and now they are in the number 2 spot and at times have held events that are even better then URL.

I think the problem is sometimes they try to "out URL" the URL..... meaning they are trying to copy URL's formula to try to beat them and that really isn't going to work. Epic rap battles of history for example gets a retarded amount of views compared to the biggest possible names battling each other. Now I don't think KOTD has to go *that* far, as epic rap battles is pretty much a joke, but I don't think it's wrong if they try to focus somewhat on casual audiences and bringing in new fans. As it stands now, if you haven't been watching the product for a few years, you won't even get most of the references these guys make.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
SpecialOh

Quote:

KOTD isn't trying to be the next "insert your youtube hero who does lame shit for views" here.
u brought up this before to and i think ur right for sure

having it on avo's channel even would be nice
just someway to relate it to the real culture

ppl getting ez views off the shit these guys are proffesionals at
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
SpecialOh

im just saying its a missed opportunity and i follow lots of people on youtube who do battle rap-or rap-related videos that do amazing

these are kids with no skills, imagine the pros doing it? to me its a no brainer go viral make battle rap bigger type of thing i ain't saying stop doing battles like they are or change that..just do something else too for broader youtube market

battle rap in its present form is NOT youtube friendly whatsoever..why not present it in a way (on the side) where ppl outside the niche community wanna watch it

it really wouldn't hurt to try new things on another channel or like on avo's channel and if i had the skills id do it to prove how beneficial it could be
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
SpecialOh

Quote:

this mentality is dumb and its the leagues mentality too

obviously if ur video has 10 times more views... its not "doing lame shit for views" its fucking doing something ppl wanna watch lmao...

called doing it right

the only ppl who think its "lame shit for views" are the ppl already cemented in the culture who dont want growth...why live on nostalgia from the WRC's

maybe im bat shit crazy for thinking all this, one thing i ain't crazy about is how non-competitive battle rap is when there isin't even a winner. we dont watch battles. we watch rap performances 99% of the time
@Cheddah12 i always been shit thats y i dont make threads

Last edited by SpecialOh; 07-02-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
AHAT does/has done exactly what you're talking about. they're nowhere close to being where URL, KOTD, and DF are at right now.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #19
SpecialOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
AHAT does/has done exactly what you're talking about. they're nowhere close to being where URL, KOTD, and DF are at right now.

I just noticed that man it was like a one time thing for HUGE views and then nothing

is it cuz they only did it few time did they stop doing it did they not keep innovating or is it just a shit idea haha very good point

10 mil views on the 14-year-old battle
Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
SuckaFreeCashier

Quote:
this mentality is dumb and its the leagues mentality too

obviously if ur video has 10 times more views... its not "doing lame shit for views" its fucking doing something ppl wanna watch lmao...

called doing it right

the only ppl who think its "lame shit for views" are the ppl already cemented in the culture who dont want growth...why live on nostalgia from the WRC's

maybe im bat shit crazy for thinking all this, one thing i ain't crazy about is how non-competitive battle rap is when there isin't even a winner. we dont watch battles. we watch rap performances 99% of the time
@Cheddah12 i always been shit thats y i dont make threads
"High School Rap Battle"
"Pranks in the Hood"
"KO Fight mix"

If any prominent league started doing dumbass clickbait headlined content, tons of the current supporters wouldn't fuck with it (i sure as shit wouldn't). Pandering to the masses of dumbass people who want to watch dumbass shit isn't the way to grow a successful channel / brand.

I'll put it in slightly simpler terms. Why is it that some of the most critically approved television shows were never highest in ratings? Always losing out to sitcoms and talent contests? Because the sitcoms and talent contests are dumbed down to appeal to the largest market possible. If battle rap leagues started trying to do some of the stuff you're suggesting they would simply alienate the core group of fans while failing to attain success with the larger market they're pandering too as battle rap is too niche to ever be make it as mainstream entertainment.

Last edited by SuckaFreeCashier; 07-02-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #21
SpecialOh

good point... just cuz u make one or few videos that appeal to broader doesnt mean they will stick around for the main stuff
Old 07-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #22
SpecialOh

Quote:
"High School Rap Battle"
"Pranks in the Hood"
"KO Fight mix"

If any prominent league started doing dumbass clickbait headlined content, tons of the current supporters wouldn't fuck with it (i sure as shit wouldn't). Pandering the masses of dumbass people who want to watch dumbass shit isn't the way to grow a successful channel / brand.

yea im starting to realize watch u really mean more

i still think its lame random kids can "steal" all these views. Lush One should make a channel its his type of shit
Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #23
SpecialOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mage BTM View Post
Who gives a fuck about YouTube views tho? They don't make their money off that tbh

i beg to differ on that one

maybe not pennies and dollars but who learns of an event (as a sponsor or attendee) through posters and stuff?

the bigger the youth views (their platform) the bigger they can be

how would 90% of this site even know about modern battle rap without youtube!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #24
SpecialOh

@KellyBetz of NoCoast u guys are doing big things..hell u got a doorman

u think this is stupid?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #25
SuckaFreeCashier

Quote:
yea im starting to realize watch u really mean more

i still think its lame random kids can "steal" all these views. Lush One should make a channel its his type of shit

that's exactly what it is, lame.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #26
SpecialOh

Suckafree is gonna bite his words when i get my Jokes over Bars league going

just need to find the right mail man
Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #27
PublicStaticVoid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
PublicStaticVoid is a PY Poster
PublicStaticVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #28
John Nada

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
John Nada is not the worst person
Isn't this how Charron got his break?

John Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #29
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Quote:

AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #30
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nada View Post
Isn't this how Charron got his break?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfHB-ABKa6w
hahahahaah god i love this battle so much for all the wrong reasons
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #31
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
It'll get views, but they're cheap views. There is a certain appeal to that, but you risk alienating your core fanbase. The ones who buy tickets, and PPVs, like the real substantive things that keep a league afloat. Things like hard hitting poet are different, they're like commercials. They take interesting parts of an already existing battle and get it out there to mainstream audiences in hopes that they'll like the battle and stick around. Clickbait style things are something so divorced from the actuality of the product that there is no crossover. It's like well hardcore porn is really popular, so why not upload Germfree's thing on the main page!?!?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #32
SpecialOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
It'll get views, but they're cheap views. There is a certain appeal to that, but you risk alienating your core fanbase. The ones who buy tickets, and PPVs, like the real substantive things that keep a league afloat. Things like hard hitting poet are different, they're like commercials. They take interesting parts of an already existing battle and get it out there to mainstream audiences in hopes that they'll like the battle and stick around. Clickbait style things are something so divorced from the actuality of the product that there is no crossover. It's like well hardcore porn is really popular, so why not upload Germfree's thing on the main page!?!?
i dont agree with it being on any main channels

but some shit could be directly related public battle rap pranks isin't reaching naw mean
Old 07-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #33
SpecialOh

he already came here n said its dumb but just as an example say avo does hitman holla vs the ice cream shop lady...

and then billy boondocks does challenging random strangers to rap battles

so on so on.. and then he has a platform to promote the real stuff
and it doesn't interfere with the main shi at all cuz its whole diff base sounds like all gravy to me, except for the few die hards who will complain when it doesn't affect them on some "moral" shit
Old 07-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #34
Bawlin

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Bawlin is better than Grind Time AustraliaBawlin is better than Grind Time Australia
The next charron is in this. #barz4autism
Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #35
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

Mentioned: 1452 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
don't get the fascination with battle rap 'blowing up.' nothing about it becoming more mainstream has been that enjoyable, tbh. stuff like clips vs hollow is the pinnacle of how big it should get.

as far as random viral videos... no. what? nothing is worse than clickbait titled videos thirsty for view counts
megadef #wishes he could go back and unexpose himself as a mama nice try plumptits this is lower than when you slithered your way into the moonbounce at the Colorado Cush Carnival and #popped it with ur fatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii

Last edited by riffic; 07-03-2015 at 06:03 AM.
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #36
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
don't get the fascination with battle rap 'blowing up.' nothing about it becoming more mainstream has been that enjoyable, tbh. stuff like clips vs hollow is the pinnacle of how big it should get.

as far as random viral videos... no. what? nothing is worse than clickbait titled videos thirsty for view counts
This entirely.
Why make battles/videos that actual battle fans, who have been supporting for years, don't want to see, just to entertain some randomers who would rather see a guy dressed up as Einstein vs fucking Henry VIII or some shit?

Don't get me wrong though, there is room for gimmicky/fun battles, it's just the attempts to force it or titles like "BATTLE RAPPER RAPS ON MAGIC TRUFFLES" that are just a bit desperate seeming and to me, it's kinda lacking self respect/confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
authenticity, barz4autism