Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Rise and fall of grindtime

Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Tyren

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tyren is not the worst person
Rise and fall of grindtime

So im looking for some videos on the fall of grind time Ive found 2 so far from Thesaurus and directs perspective, Has anyone seen any videos were lush or mad illz speak on it in detail? ill link the 2 ive found. Thanks guys.

Tyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
If you are interested in the 'rise' part, check out the Ruin Your Day videos, especially the ones in the middle. MOstly Lush One speaking about how the whole Grindtime movement rose up.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXFMP7OFwGVwm3BM7NmdoNA
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.

Last edited by Emancee; 11-14-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
I've been lobbying for years for @AVOCADO to start a crowdfund to kick off the doc. It'd be great.
Serge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyren View Post
So im looking for some videos on the fall of grind time Ive found 2 so far from Thesaurus and directs perspective, Has anyone seen any videos were lush or mad illz speak on it in detail? ill link the 2 ive found. Thanks guys.
Madd Illz will never speak on it in detail because Madd Illz still vehemently denies that GrindTime ever "fell" in the first place

Check his FB, it's really delusional

"2 days ago, I finished writing my lyrical masterpiece. It took almost 5 months to complete. This piece means a lot to me and I am glad it lined up how I dreamed it would be. It was a true test of my writing capabilities.
It won't be on an album or in a book. I won't recite it or show anyone. This is for me to enjoy because only I can truly appreciate out doing myself."

"Often, I get slammed by trolls or battle fans who just don't give a fuck about the culture. If you are happy with the circus that is out today, then pay no attention to what I write. More corporations are starting to get involved and these big productions with staged fights and unruly battle rappers is exactly why I say there is a COMMERCIAL BATTLE RAP and UNDERGROUND BATTLE RAP now.
Grind Time Now is UNDERGROUND BATTLE RAP. Grind Time Now is the Original. Grind Time Now is STILL a movement and nobody is hanging anything up."

"I run Grind Time Now in a market that is not a large music industry contender. You want to criticize me for running my company from Orlando and compare it to people in Los Angeles, the Bay, New York and other areas, go ahead. I am flattered that you MUST mention me amongst easier markets to tap into talent and fans from. Think I am crazy? Just look at the ticket prices to get into battles in those cities vs everywhere else. You just cannot expect to carry over the same prices in different markets."

"1. Did we not forget what the fuck battling is for anyway? It's not for a Youtube view. If you are a battle emcee, it is because you have a passion for it. It allows the emcee to strengthen SO MANY different aspects of their life, including being a great confidence builder. Scientifically speaking, Battling induces the release of healthy chemicals in our brains that help with cognitive thinking skils but now...I am getting over certain heads."

mapleleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Castor

Castor is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
Scientifically speaking, Battling induces the release of healthy chemicals in our brains that help with cognitive thinking skils but now...I am getting over certain heads.
Madd Illz about to be published in a peer reviewed journal any day now
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
Quote:

"I run Grind Time Now in a market that is not a large music industry contender. You want to criticize me for running my company from Orlando and compare it to people in Los Angeles, the Bay, New York and other areas, go ahead. I am flattered that you MUST mention me amongst easier markets to tap into talent and fans from.
Yeah. Constantly having Million-view battles to barely cracking 6k in the last 7 months has everything to do with your market. *sigh*.
Serge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Crescent Swerve

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Crescent Swerve is a PY Poster
Crescent Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
JustJ123

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Back when it happened Battle Rap Arena did a series of interviews with all of them.

Illz, DRect, Lush, Kap all spoke on it.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
JustJ123

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica

Can't find the Drect one

Last edited by JustJ123; 11-14-2015 at 08:41 PM.
JustJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
Yeah. Constantly having Million-view battles to barely cracking 6k in the last 7 months has everything to do with your market. *sigh*.
Well, in a sense, he's right. If KOTD just focused narrowly on Canadian talent or even more narrowly on local talent around Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver, it would be much tougher for them to get views.

Madd Illz essentially turned Grind Time into Ground Zero, with all the pros and cons that come along with that.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:42 AM   #12
Tyren

Tyren is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
I've been lobbying for years for @AVOCADO to start a crowdfund to kick off the doc. It'd be great.
This would be dope! get a bunch of west coast cats to speak on it lush direct mad illz surprised @Luke hasn't made something similar yet
Tyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #13
versesmc
Battle Rap App

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
There were interviews with Lush and Illz on HipHop DX awhile back and Drect posted his own blog when he left. That might give you a better idea of things, but really only the people involved know the full story. Issues with GrizzleMania 2 seemed to put the nail in the coffin. I think all involved would agree that just blowing up too quick while treating it like a hobby with friends contributed to their fall out. Blame it on money. There was a lot of weird shit that went on cause of money. Everything from copyright/trademark infringement claims, taking over the domain name, and even FilmOn getting unbranded early West coast footage. If Avocado gave his side, it would fill in some gaps with who was actually employing and not paying him like Drect claimed.

http://hiphopdx.com/interviews/id.20...-time-mad-illz
http://hiphopdx.com/interviews/id.20...lush-one-drect
http://drect.blogspot.com/2012/01/le...rind-time.html

I never understood all the hate directed towards Illz and GT. Sure, the league fell off, but why hate on Illz for continuing something he genuinely loves? I've had the opportunity to work with Illz and most recently Lush. I would have sponsored the "Bad Blood" battle between them, but it never happened. I can tell you both don't do this for views or money and just do it cause they love it. Take it as a learning experience. I heard Illz has has something big in the works for battle rap in 2016 too. We'll see what happens.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 AM   #14
TheSuburbCeleb
Contributor

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
TheSuburbCeleb is not the worst person
Towards the very end it was just Pen, us (the DMV) Atlanta, Upstate, and Florida left...

The end game for those involved was when we were down in Orlando for DMV vs FL "reality show" we did... Respect to Illz but during a meeting we had I suggested he fallback to behind the scenes, make Pen the face of GT as he was so respected etc... Illz being the last one left, didn't want to do that... So the plan after that event was the DMV, ATL etc was gonna drop battles under the Poison Pen tv umbrella...

Our last battle to drop on GT was Uno Lavoz vs Jonny Storm... My one regret leaving GT when we did... Was not dropping Ty Law vs Anymal on the channel... After the fallout with Pro'Verb vs Anymal... And after the history they had... It would've blown Ty Law up earlier... We ended up dropping that battle on Philly Swain's channel... The rest of the battles I dropped on my SupaNova Battles channel before I even had a first event...

KG the Poet vs T2 Good
Kev Money vs Mark the Manager
Lexx Luther vs The Author
3PFD vs LSP

Kinda sad seeing what GT has become... GT falling off, I feel contributed to the over saturation of battle rap, because it showed you could regionalize it...I need to go back and watch some of the classics on the channel again...
Stop Sleepin Yall
He bringing that Hot Lava
Salute My G
TheSuburbCeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #15
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1278 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Madd Illz will never speak on it in detail because Madd Illz still vehemently denies that GrindTime ever "fell" in the first place

"2 days ago, I finished writing my lyrical masterpiece. It took almost 5 months to complete. This piece means a lot to me and I am glad it lined up how I dreamed it would be. It was a true test of my writing capabilities.
It won't be on an album or in a book. I won't recite it or show anyone. This is for me to enjoy because only I can truly appreciate out doing myself."

"Often, I get slammed by trolls or battle fans who just don't give a fuck about the culture. If you are happy with the circus that is out today, then pay no attention to what I write. More corporations are starting to get involved and these big productions with staged fights and unruly battle rappers is exactly why I say there is a COMMERCIAL BATTLE RAP and UNDERGROUND BATTLE RAP now.
Grind Time Now is UNDERGROUND BATTLE RAP. Grind Time Now is the Original. Grind Time Now is STILL a movement and nobody is hanging anything up."

"I run Grind Time Now in a market that is not a large music industry contender. You want to criticize me for running my company from Orlando and compare it to people in Los Angeles, the Bay, New York and other areas, go ahead. I am flattered that you MUST mention me amongst easier markets to tap into talent and fans from. Think I am crazy? Just look at the ticket prices to get into battles in those cities vs everywhere else. You just cannot expect to carry over the same prices in different markets."

"1. Did we not forget what the fuck battling is for anyway? It's not for a Youtube view. If you are a battle emcee, it is because you have a passion for it. It allows the emcee to strengthen SO MANY different aspects of their life, including being a great confidence builder. Scientifically speaking, Battling induces the release of healthy chemicals in our brains that help with cognitive thinking skils but now...I am getting over certain heads."

Sheesh.....
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
Sheesh.....
but is he wrong?
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Quote:

holy shit LOL
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #18
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
I feel bad for Madd Illz as I feel he got thrown under the bus and the other two somehow were able to convince everyone that everything good in GT was them while everything bad in GT was mad illz

That never made sense to me so I never believed it accurate

I think it was 3 people who got big to fast and made some bad decisions amongst them. Not just Mad Illz
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
coleowsuz
IhaveJungleFever

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
coleowsuz is better than Grind Time Australiacoleowsuz is better than Grind Time Australia
what happened to Grindtime exactly, I know there was some kind of falling out between the business partners or whatever, but how are they unable to replicate a fraction of thier old numbers under the same youtube channel. They have 130k+ subscribers and get >10k veiws on most recent battles. meanwhile RBE and Gorilla WareFare have like 1/4 of the subscribers and get 100 k + on a lot of their battles. Is it literally just the fact they don't book anybody with a fanbase.. I just don't understand how have become as small as they have
coleowsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #20
rocky
Contributor

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
rocky is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuburbCeleb View Post
Towards the very end it was just Pen, us (the DMV) Atlanta, Upstate, and Florida left...

The end game for those involved was when we were down in Orlando for DMV vs FL "reality show" we did... Respect to Illz but during a meeting we had I suggested he fallback to behind the scenes, make Pen the face of GT as he was so respected etc... Illz being the last one left, didn't want to do that... So the plan after that event was the DMV, ATL etc was gonna drop battles under the Poison Pen tv umbrella...

Our last battle to drop on GT was Uno Lavoz vs Jonny Storm... My one regret leaving GT when we did... Was not dropping Ty Law vs Anymal on the channel... After the fallout with Pro'Verb vs Anymal... And after the history they had... It would've blown Ty Law up earlier... We ended up dropping that battle on Philly Swain's channel... The rest of the battles I dropped on my SupaNova Battles channel before I even had a first event...

KG the Poet vs T2 Good
Kev Money vs Mark the Manager
Lexx Luther vs The Author
3PFD vs LSP

Kinda sad seeing what GT has become... GT falling off, I feel contributed to the over saturation of battle rap, because it showed you could regionalize it...I need to go back and watch some of the classics on the channel again...
yea man, it was sad to see things end. GT was certainly the funnest time in battle rap for me. I had a blast seeing where battling took off during that era.

Things happen for a reason. I'm glad folks have learned from that experience and have moved on to remodel their league or to realize what not to do in order to avoid the same pitfalls.

Carter Deems>>>>>>
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #21
coleowsuz
IhaveJungleFever

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
coleowsuz is better than Grind Time Australiacoleowsuz is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBone View Post
Well, in a sense, he's right. If KOTD just focused narrowly on Canadian talent or even more narrowly on local talent around Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver, it would be much tougher for them to get views.

Madd Illz essentially turned Grind Time into Ground Zero, with all the pros and cons that come along with that.
Is that by design.. or do they just lack the fund to bring top level talent over? That's what confuses me all those subscribers, the history, just the name grindtime now Im supprised that doesn't bring in atleast a little bit more veiwership than they seem to be getting. Is it simply a matter of getting big names to battle over there or are they trying to build their own talent
coleowsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #22
CBA

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
So basically it sounds like the other divisions were upset because they were putting on the battles that were really getting views and subscribers (the west and the east) but Mad Illz, from the Florida division was pretty much keeping the money for himself then, is this correct?

As a fan for me it was just the quality control. It went from looking forward to the newest GT battle being posted to being horribly disappointed each time. Like when GT released some shit, I always watched, even if the person was a nobody but half the time there were gems out there. At some point that really changed though, in particular when they started adding awful divisions like Grind Time Minneapolis, and the shit was on the main page for what felt like a month. Lack of quality control I think ruined it for a lot of fans.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #23
Nick H.
on her mind, in her mouth

Mentioned: 471 Post(s)
Nick H. is better than Grind Time AustraliaNick H. is better than Grind Time Australia
Send a message via AIM to Nick H.
We was all young dumbies
Old 11-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #24
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
KellyBetz of NoCoast is not the worst person
Kap talks about it recently when I caught up with him on tour

KellyBetz of NoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #25
Pavan

Pavan is a PY Poster
I can definitely see @AVOCADO and @Drect making a huge documentary not only about GT but about battle rap in general. From the Smack DVD and Blaze Battles era, through the Scribble Days, GT and Elements League to where is at now.

The most influencial characters are still around for interviews, there must be tons of behind the sceenes footage and will be a great look for the culture and everyone involved.
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #26
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
KellyBetz of NoCoast is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan View Post
I can definitely see @AVOCADO and @Drect making a huge documentary not only about GT but about battle rap in general. From the Smack DVD and Blaze Battles era, through the Scribble Days, GT and Elements League to where is at now.

The most influencial characters are still around for interviews, there must be tons of behind the sceenes footage and will be a great look for the culture and everyone involved.

Avo already did

KellyBetz of NoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #27
Pavan

Pavan is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBetz of NoCoast View Post
I've bought it years ago and its sick. But its focused exclusively on the west coast.

Based on that they done here, it's safe to say that one about battling in general telling how it all evolved would be amazing.
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #28
JazeJuce
VIP

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
JazeJuce is not the worst person
There is a lot of shit that went down that I don't think needs to be aired out at this point.

But to be as succinct as possible it was never operating as one organization there was literally factions that took competing with each other to a self-destructive point. Division to division and even in some cases like in my division even within the division itself.
JazeJuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #29
Crescent Swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJ123 View Post
look at MAdillz , you can't just use one of the models you hired for your site for a "this my bitch" picture , lmao .. fine as fuck tho
Old 11-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #30
Crescent Swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H. View Post
We was all young dumbies
For real , so many fans talk about it / compare it , like its a fortune 500 company or some shit
Grindtime was a bunch of 22 to 26 yr olds that have never been in any situation close to being part of running a company let alone at the top of one

not to mention in a "real" company your "chair holders" and "employees" aren't gonna be party heads, no degree having cats & high school dropouts

and big entertainment company heads aren't gonna be directly dealing with the artist, who other than in the music industry , aren't gonna be "weed heads' & druggies (the companies that do have designated people for that who's whole job is being the middle man)

not to mention this is hip hop so there's a bunch of thugs or wanna be thugs , so your swimming in a swimming pool (that you built) full of snakes. With nothing or no one set in place to be a filter to the BS & rectify situations before they escalate