Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
A Discussion about Dont Flop

Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
paddy87

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
paddy87 is better than Grind Time Australiapaddy87 is better than Grind Time Australia
A Discussion about Dont Flop

what do you like?

what dont you like?

what match ups do you wanna see?

what we doin about dre dennis b?

@hectorbizerk
paddy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
Theres nothing or no one very exciting about Dont Flop anymore. Most of the top battlers left, they relied too much on gimmicky bullshit which brought in too many fans of the gimmicky bullshit and not enough of battle rap - that was good while it lasted but all those fans have left now too. All the international battlers came over for a quick paycheck without putting in any effort and the ones who did didnt really have any UK battlers good enough to make matchups.

Things I do like though, that last DF Scotland event with Real Deal vs. Soul and Tony D vs. Respek BA had a good old school feel, smaller with good battles and a hype crowd. Dont Flop need to go back to where they were around the 4BW and Set The Standard events but I dont think they have the battlers or the fans there for it.
erfworm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Dont flop has good talent but I think after Liam and Cruger left their battles dropped in quality

But more importantly, I dont know what to do with dre dennis b.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
Dre Dennis vs Psychosis Holocaust?
Cuntoffs are Jumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
+ Oshea (Oshea, Oshea etc.)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 941 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
Haven't watched a full DF battle since Wizard vs Og.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
KBomb
2dope4you

Mentioned: 1545 Post(s)
KBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICE
soul is basically the only reason i watch DF anymore

but con go line made a don demarco come out my speakers for no reason
KBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
DF still has better talent coming through than KOTD, but Eurgh seems a little lost what to do with them. Rushing Raptor into the title match for example, basically destroyed the development of a promising talent.

Having Soul as a champion doesn't help either as Soul isn't the type to bring in tons of new fans and hype an event up.

Add to that, Eurgh trying to make battles go viral that never will and you have a bit of a mess.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 AM   #9
god level

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Ogmios da gawd.
Tenchoo
Respek BA
Pedro
Oshea
Shufflo
Truth
Jean Gough Fries
Fuck it, Dekay
Shotty
Lunar
Prof Green??
Wizard
Mickey Worth
Cruger
Big J
P Soulja
Soul
I swear there are a lot more I might slap myself for forgetting to freestyle these fools's names's
Zain Azrai could be considered DF too, Zain Azrai unbeatable
god level is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
Spacelab

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Spacelab is not the worst person
What I like:

-The intelligence of it. Witty lines, appreciation for wordplay.

-Variety of approaches: Colourful and UNIQUE battlers that stand out. How different are, say, Dialekt, Ogmios, Oshea, Calcium Kid, etc...plenty of different styles and personalities.

-Battle Rap Resume. Miles ahead of Dirtbag Dan show in my view. Actually talks about battles, interviews etc which makes you appreciate it all the more. (ie: After listening to interviews with battlers discuss the craft I'm way more interested in their work.)

-Production quality especially AUDIO always great

-Great crowds.

-New guys keep popping up who are great. (ie: Shox, McKenzie, Respek BA, even say Quill, all names I didn't know until recently.)

-Sense of fun. Yeah they're battling but it's not faking that there's genuine beef here. You get the sense that Tony D and Shox had a beer after the battle.

Last edited by Spacelab; 04-18-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Spacelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:42 AM   #11
iamHBY

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Soul vs. Tony D gotta happen sometime soon.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #12
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
Lowkey my favorite league, ups and downs and all. Yeah Eurgh seems like he'd be a cunt behind the scenes and losing a lot of important staff to Unilad sucks but, the drive is still there. Same big variety of styles they've always had. They've got dudes who bar out hard (Dialect, Shox, Gemini, etc.), dudes who've made me laugh so hard I could barely catch my breath (Oshea, Shuffle-T & Marlo, Matter, etc.), and they always get the most interesting international emcees. They're where I first heard of Henry Bowers, who was in my top 5 while he was active, for example. And the production quality goes from grimy to polished within the space of an event or two. From coffee shops and tunnels to 360 degree stages in night clubs and such.

They also take chances with the format. Grime clashes and battles on beat, still do freestyles now and then, literal mirror matches and jokey gimmick battles, whatever.

And the crowd is always good. I can't ever remember thinking "This crowd is ass" during a DF battle.

So yeah.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #13
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Bad Bars!!!
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #14
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
People had always touted Don't Flop's depth as one of its strongest attributes, like a couple years back, there seemed to be an impression that any of like 20 guys could main event a card. At that time I felt that was always going to come back to bite them in the ass, and I think that may have something to do with their downfall. When everybody's special, nobody is, so rather than a bunch of talented future main eventers, it really appeared as though there were just a bunch of interchangeable parts, none of which were special, and there was no real hierarchy.

I think this did a good job of pushing the brand and establishing a Don't Flop style. I feel that always has a short shelf life though, and that invariably fans, will want unique acts that they can gravitate towards. This isn't to say DF have none of them, but that the hierarchy is messy. So for a while, I had no idea who the big names in DF were, and I thought that was a problem. URL's hierarchy has at times been difficult to navigate too, but I think the presence of Hollow, Lux and Mook as end bosses helps with that a lot.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
Particular Apples

Particular Apples is not the worst person
DF battles I'd like to see:

Zain Azrai vs Shuffle-T (or a 2 on 2, Shufflo vs Zain Azrai & ______)

Shuffle-T vs Soul

Respek BA vs Oshea

I also want to see Unan back, don't know why he couldn't make it for the Oshea battle.
A rematch (they battled in 2009) vs Psychosis Holocaust would be cool but unlikely to happen.

My favourite league for the last 5 years, as much as the great battles are more few and far between these days. Soul/Real Deal and Tony/BA were both fantastic battles from the Scotland event though.

Checkpoint 4 should be sick - Shox/Soul is more or less a guaranteed classic.

Zain needs to get a title shot at long last after CP4
Particular Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelab View Post

-New guys keep popping up who are great. (ie: Shox, McKenzie, Respek BA, even say Quill, all names I didn't know until recently.)
BA isn't new, he was returning after a few years break. He was on jumpoff before Eurgh and had a battle with Illmac around 2010/11. Mackenzie is a KOTR battler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #17
RyMo
Contributor

RyMo is not the worst person
Yay Don't Flop bruvs
RyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #18
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Respek BA was repping pre-jump off and was one of the first battles on DF (2011 according to Verse Tracker). MacKenzie was also on DF in the very beginning, but (stupidly) left to rep Badmouth/ KOTR and is now back after Badmouth folded.

Likewise Quill goes back to the 2012 'killer crop'.

I guess you mean guys that are 'new' to you, right?
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 AM   #19
The Kurgan

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
The Kurgan is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kurgan is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kurgan is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
MacKenzie was also on DF in the very beginning, but (stupidly) left to rep Badmouth/ KOTR and is now back after Badmouth folded.
Actually mate that's a different Mackenzie. The guy who was at the 1st DF Scotland events is an Edinburgh rapper who went by Mr Mackenzie, and who now (iirc) goes by Strong Tone. The more recent Mackenzie is Glaswegian has been battling for a while on Scottish leagues, KotR more recently, and has still yet to do a DF battle as far as I'm aware.

Anyway DF is my favourite for most of the reasons @Triptych and @Spacelab stated.I'd add that Soul's title run is the best thing in battle rap right now, and the new grime only channel/events are a nice new direction.

Current weaknesses are a massive drop off in quality newcomers (only solid battler to tryout in 2016 was Scoop which is a bit worrying). Still though, so long as they have guys like Respek, Tenchoo & Crisis returning, it more than levels out.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #20
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Actually mate that's a different Mackenzie. The guy who was at the 1st DF Scotland events is an Edinburgh rapper who went by Mr Mackenzie, and who now (iirc) goes by Strong Tone. The more recent Mackenzie is Glaswegian has been battling for a while on Scottish leagues, KotR more recently, and has still yet to do a DF battle as far as I'm aware.
You've genuinely blown my mind here, lol. I just assumed Mackenzie from Silvertongue and Mackenzie was the same guy this whole time. Then again, I don't know much about Scotland or watch KOTR.

Last edited by Emancee; 04-19-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #21
rogermellie

rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
They also take chances with the format. Grime clashes
I feel like you're giving unjust credit here. I don't really see how this is taking a chance with the format at all, Grime clashes have been around a lot longer than Don't Flop but in the past few years Grime has had a massive boost in popularity; they're hopping on a trend not innovating. I haven't rated any of the battles from their 140 event so far and I don't think Don't Flop is really the place for grime, it's an awkward mix.

That being said, I do think it's a smart move, they see an opportunity to pick up some of these new grime fans and make up for the lack of views their regular battles are getting.
Quote:
Quote:
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
phoenix

phoenix is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by god level View Post
Ogmios da gawd.
Tenchoo
Respek BA
Pedro
Oshea
Shufflo
Truth
Jean Gough Fries
Fuck it, Dekay
Shotty
Lunar
Prof Green??
Wizard
Mickey Worth
Cruger
Big J
P Soulja
Soul
I swear there are a lot more I might slap myself for forgetting to freestyle these fools's names's
Zain Azrai could be considered DF too, Zain Azrai unbeatable
Jean Gough Frais is not from Don't Flop. He is from the Berlin based battle leage DLTLLY - Don't Let The Label Label You. He is a personal friend from league owner JollyJay (who battled on Don't Flop several times).
phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #23
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:

New guys keep popping up who are great. (ie: Shox, McKenzie, Respek BA, even say Quill, all names I didn't know until recently.)
Respek BA's old timer. Before jump off I believe

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
prob the league with the most funny people

i havnt watched any df in a long time tho
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #25
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
I feel like you're giving unjust credit here. I don't really see how this is taking a chance with the format at all, Grime clashes have been around a lot longer than Don't Flop but in the past few years Grime has had a massive boost in popularity; they're hopping on a trend not innovating. I haven't rated any of the battles from their 140 event so far and I don't think Don't Flop is really the place for grime, it's an awkward mix.

That being said, I do think it's a smart move, they see an opportunity to pick up some of these new grime fans and make up for the lack of views their regular battles are getting.
Ah I just meant in comparison to other battle leagues. Whereas KOTD, URL, whoever, is just acapella pre-writes, DF will sometimes throw in something like a grime clash or freestyles over beatboxing, shit like that. They branch out quite a bit for who they are and what they do and I really appreciate that.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
rogermellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
Ah I just meant in comparison to other battle leagues. Whereas KOTD, URL, whoever, is just acapella pre-writes, DF will sometimes throw in something like a grime clash or freestyles over beatboxing, shit like that. They branch out quite a bit for who they are and what they do and I really appreciate that.
Yeah I get you and I always liked that about them aswell tbf.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #27
RyMo
Contributor

RyMo is not the worst person
Don't mind me...

RyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #28
god level

god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Jean Gough Frais is not from Don't Flop. He is from the Berlin based battle leage DLTLLY - Don't Let The Label Label You. He is a personal friend from league owner JollyJay (who battled on Don't Flop several times).
All hail you and Jean Gough Frais
god level is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #29
Solace254

Solace254 is not the worst person
Maybe this thread can explain the emergence of "grime" and how it's any different than lyrical miracle double time over trap sounding beats? Still mad confused y'all hook me up.
Solace254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #30
paddy87

paddy87 is better than Grind Time Australiapaddy87 is better than Grind Time Australia
this thread has been a good read back, thanks for the posts guys.

i think DF have started the year well, would be good to see them reclaim some of the attention thats went away the last couple of years.

@hectorbizerk
paddy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #31
Particular Apples

Particular Apples is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace254 View Post
Maybe this thread can explain the emergence of "grime" and how it's any different than lyrical miracle double time over trap sounding beats? Still mad confused y'all hook me up.
Particular Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #32
Solace254

Solace254 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Particular Apples View Post
So I'm not sure if this was a joke or not. However it only leaves me with more questions and a worse outlook about "grime".
Solace254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:38 AM   #33
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace254 View Post
Grime= UK slang + double/triple/quadruple time + inner rhymes - lyrical miracle (We don't fux with that guv!)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #34
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
checkpoint 4 is gonna be dope

but unfortunately we still dont know what to do with dre dennis b
Old 04-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #35
youdontwannabethatguy
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i'll still watch the battles but it aint the same anymore checkpoint 4 looks good though
Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #36
Bwdawatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bwdawatt is not the worst person
Some of Don't Flop is great; the characters are the most developed by any league. A lot of the battlers have a clear sense of themselves and bring something different and innovative to the table, which can be great.

It can also be terrible though. Don't Flop has turned into a bit too much performance art and not enough, yano, rap battling. I love Shuffle T and Marlo, but I don't want them to become a parody of themselves. Everyone else has seen what they're doing and is trying to mimic it, and it's never fun to watch.

Also the crowd/staff/whatever are all too nice. Some performances are outright terrible and everyone is standing there cheering like it's the best thing they've ever heard.
Bwdawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #37
rogermellie

Looks like DF are gonna do a Grindtime. In the past week the majority of staff have left because Eurgh is a dickhead(that's me summarising the posts). Also Cruger is apparently refusing to work because he is owed money.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #38
phoenix

phoenix is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
Looks like DF are gonna do a Grindtime. In the past week the majority of staff have left because Eurgh is a dickhead(that's me summarising the posts). Also Cruger is apparently refusing to work because he is owed money.
Who left in the last week? What happened? What did you see/ read and where? Thanks for the heads up
phoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #39
acidzero
lookin oinkish : ux9

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
acidzero is better than Grind Time Australiaacidzero is better than Grind Time Australia
yeah let's get some clarification, that's crazy if it's true!
acidzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #40
rogermellie

Quote:
Who left in the last week? What happened? What did you see/ read and where? Thanks for the heads up
Lol my bad, that was a lazy update. Sam Strickland (think he's a camera man) then Callum (who runs VP and DF social media in general) and now Briggzy(who runs all Don't Flop North) ima get some screenshots and just make a thread because it probably needs it's own one.
Quote:
Quote: