Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Bodied premiere

Old 09-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Bodied premiere

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.44592/ti...-a-hit-at-tiff

Bodied premiered and got a reasonably good reaction.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
oh, it's a battle rap satire... i thought it was supposed to be taken seriously which is why i said it looked corny

"is a demonically relentless battle rap satire AND an audacious interrogation of identity politics that puts fake wokeness on notice"
haha i like that review

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. qleen
5. magic

Last edited by Abstrakt; 09-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
iamHBY

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Glad to see it's been getting a lot of really good reviews from some legit outlets.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i found it kinda hard to doubt the film with joseph khan directing it and twist writing it, but was also a bit surprised by how much i enjoyed the trailer. awesome to hear it's getting good reception.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
I have faith in Kid Twist's script and from Twitter etc. Khan gets it - I think it'll be okay, the impression I get is that what's being satirised is the response people might have to (homophobia, misogyny, racism) the content of battles, in the name of political correctness, the misplaced belief that by doing this they are helping minorities, the oppressed etc.

Which is a long way of saying battling isn't the thing being satirised, it's being celebrated as the one space where you can still call faggots faggots, faggots.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
It'd be hilarious to me if this movie blew up.
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Ass Napkin Ed
NEGRO NAZI

Mentioned: 506 Post(s)
Ass Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local league
Is the confirmed racist white supremacist Eminem behind this movie?
we will pass on this one

I am Malcolm ED
By ANE Means Necessary
Ass Napkin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Where is this debuting at? I assume some sort of a film festival?
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
Ass Napkin Ed
NEGRO NAZI

Mentioned: 506 Post(s)
Ass Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodOfPez View Post
only at neo nazi, alt rights, klan rallies, pat stay and organiks house

I am Malcolm ED
By ANE Means Necessary
Ass Napkin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #10
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
PJ Sumroc is not the worst person
Quote:
Toronto International Film Festival. Kind of a big deal actually

BATTLE ADDICT
THE WAX DRIPPING GERALDO RIVERA MEMORIAL AWARD WINNING RADIO SHOW

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/battleaddict

https://twitter.com/Battle_Addict

-YOUTUBE-
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qL...?feature=watch
PJ Sumroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #11
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
Currently has a 9.2 on IMDb, the same rating as The Godfather

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5883570/
erfworm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:52 AM   #12
azhotazice
Instagram @azhotazice

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
azhotazice is not the worst person
"Still, the electric performances, countless cultural memes and hip-hop heavy soundtrack should all help propel it into theaters following a premiere in Toronto, where it arrived with a considerable amount of buzz."

Hollywood Reporter

Last edited by azhotazice; 09-10-2017 at 02:55 AM.
azhotazice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #13
azhotazice
Instagram @azhotazice

azhotazice is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
Currently has a 9.2 on IMDb, the same rating as The Godfather

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5883570/
I can't tell if you're being serious by comparing it to The Godfather but that 9.2 is based off 42 user reviews, you gotta let that shit marinate for awhile.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
Cabbagetown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cabbagetown is not the worst person
Quote:
Outside of Cannes, TIFF is arguably the top (maybe tied with Sundance) film festival in the world.

Getting a ton of good reviews, they shut down the street for Madness and Twist to battle pre-show.
Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuntoffs are Jumps View Post

The impression I get is that what's being satirised is the response people might have to (homophobia, misogyny, racism) the content of battles, in the name of political correctness, the misplaced belief that by doing this they are helping minorities, the oppressed etc.
That's what's interesting about this. This film seems a little less politically correct than 8 miles. Hopefully it doesn't ruffle too many feathers

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Assassin Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #16
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbagetown View Post
Outside of Cannes, TIFF is arguably the top (maybe tied with Sundance) film festival in the world.

Getting a ton of good reviews, they shut down the street for Madness and Twist to battle pre-show.
Niiiice!! I hope we get to see the footage!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #17
Cabbagetown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cabbagetown is not the worst person
Quote:
Niiiice!! I hope we get to see the footage!
teaser from Much

Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #18
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuntoffs are Jumps View Post
I have faith in Kid Twist's script and from Twitter etc. Khan gets it - I think it'll be okay, the impression I get is that what's being satirised is the response people might have to (homophobia, misogyny, racism) the content of battles, in the name of political correctness, the misplaced belief that by doing this they are helping minorities, the oppressed etc.

Which is a long way of saying battling isn't the thing being satirised, it's being celebrated as the one space where you can still call faggots faggots, faggots.
10/10 best post in a while

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #19
Spacelab

Spacelab is not the worst person
I hope this blows UP and makes millions

If it's good I could see it being an unexpected hit in theatres
Old 09-14-2017, 04:46 AM   #20
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
movie confirmed better than the Godfather

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 AM   #21
The Wrist
my first name is The

The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
here's a write up from The Ringer. Looks like I may have to eat my words about this thing...maybe!

"As probably the most successful large-scale pop-video director of his generation, Kahn has spent a lot of time crafting images that have helped his clients build their consensus. In his clips, Kahn has an uncanny knack for catering to — and pandering to — a mass audience, but his feature films, including 2011’s spiky, amazing Detention, and now Bodied, work in a different way: they represent this very sly and self-aware artist’s attempts to satirize, atomize, and pulverize the pop mainstream he’s helped saturate with shiny, glossy, product.

In the most basic terms, Bodied is a barely disguised remake/update of 8 Mile, with Calum Worthy starring as Adam, a white graduate student writing a thesis on battle rap. As the film opens, he’s attending an underground confab and diligently taking notes on the verses, disses, and decorum (or lack thereof) of the entire community. The 8 Mile parody begins to rear its head when it’s revealed that Adam is, to his surprise, a B-Rabbit-type who can hold his own with the more experienced battlers, but where Curtis Hanson’s 2002 hit was an attempt to prop up Eminem’s own (self) myth-making — the origin story of a (white) working-class superhero more tortured and authentic than his (black) competitors — Bodied goes in a different direction. Adam isn’t punching up against anything; instead, he’s an embodiment of white male privilege, and any awkwardness he feels in his new career is offset by the fact that battling seemingly lets him get away with saying anything at all.

The emphasis here is on anything: I can’t remember the last time I was as shocked by the dialogue in a movie as I was during Bodied. Outrage and offense are baked into the battle rap format. And yet Kahn and his screenwriter, the Toronto-area wordslinger Alex Larsen (a.k.a. Kid Twist) are determined to test the audience’s boundaries in the same manner as Adam, whose notoriety as the most viciously racist virtuoso on the circuit comes with plenty of criticism from his liberal-arts college buddies.

Bodied’s provocation is multidirectional. Kahn has recently drawn fire on Twitter for his advocacy of free-speech absolutism — for, in effect, calling out political correctness as a liability rather than a solution in the age of Trump. As obviously as Bodied critiques Adam for getting off on the carte blanche handed to him by his new persona — and I’d say that recognizing its antihero’s essential awfulness is its largest and most salient point — it also gleefully mocks identity politics and the woker-than-thou platitudes of self-appointed ideological cops. (There’s a shot of a Bernie Sanders sticker on a laptop that’s devastatingly funny in context.)

It’s not so much that Bodied’s aggressively centrist, you-can-dish-it-out-but-can-you-take-it mentality is persuasive — and get ready for a ream of aggrieved essays about exactly why it’s not — as that it feels plugged into a moment when so much social exchange is so discordant and performative. It’s almost the movie equivalent of a think piece — or perhaps a Twitter thread. Before the premiere, Kahn told me that he thought that everyday Twitter discourse has started to feel like an endless series of battle raps — attempts to inflict damage and score points, with the outcome judged by onlookers all too willing to tag in and take their own shots.

Bodied is exhausting and annoying a lot of the time, but it’s also hilariously funny, finely stylized, and genuinely bold where it counts, both in terms of its story arc and the willingness to go there with words-as-weapons that Zahler shows with splintered limbs in Brawl (the title of which could have easily been Bodied). It’s also astonishing that a film so committed to questioning the Eminem myth comes produced by Marshall Mathers himself, who would have had to sign off on Kahn’s final and most wounding musical cue — an oldie-but-goodie that’s the perfect anthem for a movie that examines whether there’s any real value (artistic or otherwise) to acting like a complete asshole."

album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #22
steveelite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
steveelite has seen da-feet
Im excited to see ot despite the obvious corny shit and cringey shit thats gonna be on there.
steveelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #23
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
It sounds better than it did at first but is anyone else finding it hard to trust any of these reviews that also praise Detention? That wasn't a good film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #24
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrist View Post
here's a write up from The Ringer. Looks like I may have to eat my words about this thing...maybe!
Same. Regardless of if I actually end up liking it, I thought there was no chance this would blow up in any meaningful way. I've already been proven wrong about that.

Dizaster is making some big moves in 2017 with this and the Russia battle. Looks like his battle over there made it onto a news channel. Lol at a news channel showing footage of Dizaster punching Math Hoffa. What a time to be alive.

GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #25
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
It's both weird and disappointing to me that so many people now think that battling is about saying racist, homophobic, politically incorrect shit, and that this movie is apparently promoting that concept

Battling is only about that shit to a minority of battle rap fans, and most of those people have no connection to hip hop culture outside of battle rap, in the first place

Just last week I was watching the biggest event of the year and ABSOLUTELY ZERO of the content was about identity politics, homophobia, racism, or anti-political correctness

The way some people insist on shoehorning in their political agendas into battle rap (especially considering the origins of this subculture) is very vulture-like to me.
Keep the the left field stuff ➡️here⬅️, plz & thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelon View Post
Well thanks, I don't know how long this will last, but if you let me post I won't let you down...
Quote:
also the Venn diagram of people who wanna hear me use venn diagrams to explain things and people who care what I have to say, is nearly a perfect circle so I dunno what's what anymore....
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #26
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

As soon as this is available on VOD I'm making popcorn with jalapeņos in it and breaking out a 12 pack.

Seriously, try popcorn with jalapeņos mixed in! Sounds ridiculous I know, but you won't go back to regular popcorn (provided you like spicy food).
Old 09-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #27
iamHBY

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
As soon as this is available on VOD I'm making popcorn with jalapeņos in it and breaking out a 12 pack.

Seriously, try popcorn with jalapeņos mixed in! Sounds ridiculous I know, but you won't go back to regular popcorn (provided you like spicy food).
I'll have to remember this combination for future use.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #28
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
It's both weird and disappointing to me that so many people now think that battling is about saying racist, homophobic, politically incorrect shit, and that this movie is apparently promoting that concept

Battling is only about that shit to a minority of battle rap fans, and most of those people have no connection to hip hop culture outside of battle rap, in the first place

Just last week I was watching the biggest event of the year and ABSOLUTELY ZERO of the content was about identity politics, homophobia, racism, or anti-political correctness

The way some people insist on shoehorning in their political agendas into battle rap (especially considering the origins of this subculture) is very vulture-like to me.
I think the way to square this circle (is that what the expression is) is to have battles that don't involve the main character which really aren't about the things you listed at all. If the main character's arc is about anti-political correctness, or whatever, then I don't see a problem with the battles he's involved with advancing that story. That said, if they wish to remain true to what battle rap is, like you said, that can't be the entirety of the focus.

To add credence to your point though, Twist is a smart guy and everything, but his frame of reference in battle rap is clearly the GT/early KOTD era specifically. That would seem to suggest that maybe that style is what Twist thinks battle rap is.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #29
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
I think the way to square this circle (is that what the expression is) is to have battles that don't involve the main character which really aren't about the things you listed at all. If the main character's arc is about anti-political correctness, or whatever, then I don't see a problem with the battles he's involved with advancing that story. That said, if they wish to remain true to what battle rap is, like you said, that can't be the entirety of the focus.

To add credence to your point though, Twist is a smart guy and everything, but his frame of reference in battle rap is clearly the GT/early KOTD era specifically. That would seem to suggest that maybe that style is what Twist thinks battle rap is.
I hear you. I obviously haven't seen the movie, and I'm legit happy for twist and the battle rappers involved in it, but the way this movie is described sounds like some shit I'm just not on board with lol

I'm still looking forward to seeing it tho, and if I like it, I won't lie about that
Keep the the left field stuff ➡️here⬅️, plz & thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelon View Post
Well thanks, I don't know how long this will last, but if you let me post I won't let you down...
Quote:
also the Venn diagram of people who wanna hear me use venn diagrams to explain things and people who care what I have to say, is nearly a perfect circle so I dunno what's what anymore....
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #30
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
Quote:
I hear you. I obviously haven't seen the movie, and I'm legit happy for twist and the battle rappers involved in it, but the way this movie is described sounds like some shit I'm just not on board with lol

I'm still looking forward to seeing it tho, and if I like it, I won't lie about that
Yeah, I don't think we disagree at all here. Some people who thought they'd hate it liked it, but I'll believe it when I see it
Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #31
Nikolas34520

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Nikolas34520 is better than Grind Time AustraliaNikolas34520 is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:

Pretty much how I feel about it too.
Nikolas34520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #32
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

I just tried out what'll probably be my default popcorn variation now on the weekend...super spicy sea salt (I've got a pre-mix that's mixed w/cayenne, paprika, chili, and scorpion pepper), dash of regular salt, pepper, and curry powder (which sounds odd at first, but works sooo well).

Def gonna give yours a spin too, that sounds fire!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #33
Spacelab

Spacelab is not the worst person
The movie won some midnight screening award at TIFF so that's something

Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #34
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
wwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i'm pretty eager to see this movie now damn. and the popcorn recipes in this thread sound fire why have i not heard about this shit before
u a cracked out fatty like butts are
~fever
wwjjddd? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #35
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illipsis View Post
I just tried out what'll probably be my default popcorn variation now on the weekend...super spicy sea salt (I've got a pre-mix that's mixed w/cayenne, paprika, chili, and scorpion pepper), dash of regular salt, pepper, and curry powder (which sounds odd at first, but works sooo well).

Def gonna give yours a spin too, that sounds fire!
Damn dude! Your recipe makes just jalapeņos with popcorn sound like used diaper shredding!

You had me at scorpion pepper! Check this sauce out, my favorite by FAR. Shit packs crazy flavor and heat:

https://www.hotsauce.com/Heartbreaki...uce-p/1928.htm

PM me your PO Box or whatever address and I'll dead ass serious send you a bottle via Amazon just to see what you think. It's really flavorful fire. Hit me up!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #36
The Wrist
my first name is The

Quote:

I have the same concerns but am holding out hope (after having no hope for this thing) that they handled it in a way that's at least interesting.....there's an angle they could take on it that could even be beneficial if taken head on....i'm hoping since the reviews have been positive that they did just that...

or not who knows. I hate a lot of stuff that's well reviewed haha

youtube.com/setherwrist

Tags
8202, 8212, 8217