Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Should KOTD get all of their battles translated from now on?

View Poll Results: Should KOTD invest time/money in Russian translations?
Nah it's a flash in the pan 5 45.45%
Yeah and they should ask Eek 1 9.09%
Yes and they should look into other countries- KOTD Japan could be lit 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Should KOTD get all of their battles translated from now on?

Following Oxxxymiron vs Diz a lot of Russian fans have subbed to KOTD and are now commenting on Shotti P vs Suge asking for subtitles.

@versesmc also posted this https://www.youtube.com/user/kotdrus...btitles/videos It's a channel of KOTD battles translated to Russian, most don't have great views but Dumbfoundead vs Diz has nearly a mil. Clearly there is an audience for American/Canadian battles in Russia.

Is it worth KOTD putting in the effort to have all of their battles translated from now on?

How much effort/time would that take?

Will these guys eventually get bored and just stick to the occasional bigger battles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.

Last edited by rogermellie; 10-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Casual

Mentioned: 450 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
It's crazy to me that there's an appetite for this. I kinda understand the Oxxxy thing cause that's their boy, but even still...

Like once you translate the stuff, half of it probably doesn't even make sense (literally none of the wordplay stuff probably works at all...), and NONE of it will rhyme/be structurally sound (syllable counts, patterns, etc).

Imagine translating a Chilla Jones battle to russian?

That said, if I were to do it, I would offer a translated version of the PPV only. Reason being is you're not gonna make enough extra ad revenue off the free youtube battles to justify the effort/potential cost (and you're now splitting the views). At least this way you monetize it (and obviously it will get bootlegged, especially cause it's specifically meant for a russian audience....just depends how many of them are willing to buy it). The translation probably worked better in Oxxxy's case cause he speaks Russian natively and he was able to do it himself. He also had a very direct style (his third was basically spoken word) that lends itself to translating without losing to much context.

Russia is a good market to target though cause similar to talkback there's a lot of fucking racists out there. Imagine a "BLACK", sorry I mean "SMACK KILLER" shirt translated into Russian. That'd sell a ton. Russia cold as shit too, i bet Charron could do some crazy numbers selling furnaces in siberia.

Last edited by Casual; 10-20-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
mike rigs
#trusttheplug

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
mike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I'd try it out on some of their big battles, I bet they could get someone to do it for free if they mention their twitter or something in the video. People love doing things for free as long as they get attention.
mike rigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
MrFujiwara
VIP

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
MrFujiwara is not the worst person
Is this ran by KOTD or a fan project? If its a fan project, they should reach out to the guy and have him run a version with a handful of battles. Then they could run polls or whatever to find out which battles Russian fans want translated.

There might even be an opportunity to do this for other regions (India?).
MrFujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
For the bigger name battles, main events etc it is probably worth doing if they're going to get a load of Russian fans. Its must be a lot of work translating battles into coherent subtitles though, imagine getting a freelance Russian translator to sit in with Avocado or whoever while they have to explain stretched out wordplay gun bars lmao
erfworm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
youdontwannabethatguy
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
no

next question
Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Breakneck
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Breakneck is better than Grind Time AustraliaBreakneck is better than Grind Time Australia
For the big battles they should, yes. The russian fans have taken an interest in American battle rap especially KOTD. Ive noticed them following Watch and other kotd Battles more closely than ever.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
Maybe, yeah. Hire someone to do it right after big events and sell a Russian subtitled version of the PPV the day after.

On the other hand, it remains to be seen if the Russian interest is sustainable. I don't know if they can really recreate Oxy vs Diz, the USA vs Russia novelty won't last forever because there are only so many space race bars to be said. Is the Russian fanbase interested in American vs American (or Canadian)? If so, hiring a Russian transcriber would easily be worth the cost.
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
It's crazy to me that there's an appetite for this. I kinda understand the Oxxxy thing cause that's their boy, but even still...

Like once you translate the stuff, half of it probably doesn't even make sense (literally none of the wordplay stuff probably works at all...), and NONE of it will rhyme/be structurally sound (syllable counts, patterns, etc).

Imagine translating a Chilla Jones battle to russian?

That said, if I were to do it, I would offer a translated version of the PPV only. Reason being is you're not gonna make enough extra ad revenue off the free youtube battles to justify the effort/potential cost (and you're now splitting the views). At least this way you monetize it (and obviously it will get bootlegged, especially cause it's specifically meant for a russian audience....just depends how many of them are willing to buy it). The translation probably worked better in Oxxxy's case cause he speaks Russian natively and he was able to do it himself. He also had a very direct style (his third was basically spoken word) that lends itself to translating without losing to much context.
Great point. What is Russian for "wimble den"?
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
brodeezy

Mentioned: 627 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
lmao fuck no this russian surge is gonna die down so fast.

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE: WD7DAY2: https://m.twitch.tv/trappingoutthebandwidth

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #11
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Why not in Tagalog too?!? Get them crazy views, lol.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
'Vwadimir we should be halting face to face interaction, there new Tycoon Tax battle on Canada anal fgt battle league' overheard St. Petersburg, 2019
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
KebertXela
after school pottery star

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
KebertXela is not the worst person
For a true MC like s-rawk he doesn’t need to be translated. You get his bars in any language.

GTN was translating all their old battles in to multiple languages but absyrds Xbox and dial up AOL couldn’t handle task.
KebertXela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
Profess

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
American battle rap is probably better than Russian battle rap because the style was invented here. So while checking out a Russian battle might be a fad here. Over there they will probably stick with it (if they can understand it) because it is better. Also, a common way to learn foreign language is through movies. And English is a more in demand language than Russian so translating KOTD battles is a great idea. Which leads to another question. How are the subtitles handled? On their own separate channel, a separate Russian KOTD channel, or is there some feature on youtube to either include or exclude the appropriate subtitles. All that said, Russian battle should be translated into English too.

Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #15
Battlehogg

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Any Russian that cares enough to watch KOTD probably knows English anyways
Battlehogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #16
gohannnh

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
gohannnh is not the worst person
tsu surf would sue the fuck outta kotd
gohannnh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags