Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Nothing important here but Tay Roc's 2nd brought a smile to my face

Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Nothing important here but Tay Roc's 2nd brought a smile to my face

Battle rap has been boring as of late but that round was great. I remember watching the battle ppv live and thinking hollow won the first (now I don't), when Tay spit his 2nd live, I felt the same way as I do when I watch it now.
It's something special.

Sorry Hollow fans but the nigga got the unexpected dub, I expected him to get washed tbh.

My fav round of the year so far and you could see that Hollow felt pressure after Roc's 2nd.

Does Roc have a shot at BR's Mt. Rushmore?

If I wasn't so lazy I would have transcribed the round...my bad unless someone wants to do it

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
iamHBY

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Hollow clearly won, and I don’t think he has a spot on the BR Mt. Rushmore.

Last edited by iamHBY; 10-24-2017 at 07:43 PM.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
lukej

lukej is not the worst person
Roc definitely should be considered for Mt. Rushmore at this point.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Kou

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Kou is not the worst person
Only thing I agree is that his 2nd round was absolute fire, still took that L though.
Kou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
brodeezy

Mentioned: 627 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
Hollow clearly won, and I donít think he has a spot on the BR Mt. Rushmore.
how could he not be?

who do u have ahead of him?

and i swear to god if u say illmac, dizaster, or some weird british dude we're throwin hands b

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE: WD7DAY2: https://m.twitch.tv/trappingoutthebandwidth

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #6
Gopher D'Gusto

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Gopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
First off, I like Hollow as much as the next fan, but Roc won. Stop the foolishness.

As far as this Rushmore stuff goes, why bother? Just gonna be another 5-page thread with the same results as every other Rushmore thread from the last 5-7 years.
Gopher D'Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeezy View Post
how could he not be?

who do u have ahead of him?

and i swear to god if u say illmac, dizaster, or some weird british dude we're throwin hands b
He's certainly gotten popular in the past couple of years, but in my opinion, his battles before the Ill Will battle weren't particularly remarkable, and since the Clips rematch, I think he's actually gotten worse, to where it's almost guaranteed in every one of his battles he's going to have at least a couple really horrendous bars or godawful examples of wordplay.

Without even factoring in guys like Illmac or Diz in that BR Mt. Rushmore convo (even though I believe they belong in the convo), I think guys like Hollow Da Don, Aye Verb, Conceited, Arsonal or Serius Jones are light years ahead of Roc in that conversation. When I think of that Mt. Rushmore, I think of obviously track records, being able to do well in a wide variety of environments, and also influence.

Hollow's one of the most versatile battlers in this era and can do well anywhere, Verb's run from 2008-2013 was ungodly (and he's had a couple really good performances recently), Conceited influenced an entire generation of battlers with a punchline style very few has mastered since him, Arsonal's gone to war with some of the biggest names around, and Serius went from being one of the most dominant figures of an older era to returning and beating some of the biggest names of this era of battle rap.

I commend Roc on not choking or stumbling, he always brings 3 rounds, and his profile went on a rise during a time where the bigger names were phoning it in on URL. However, when comparing the best performances from Roc to the guys I have ahead of him, Roc kind of comes off as a participation trophy battlers by comparison (and for the one thing he does, I personally think guys like Magic, Conceited, Nitty and K are better at that than him).

There's no doubt that he's a big name on URL, but as far as that Mt. Rushmore conversation, I feel like there's several other names that have done more for battle rap and have had more memorable performances than Tay Roc.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
brodeezy

brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
fwiw my rushmore over the kotd/url era is ars hollow verb and tay tay

i dont really do the all time thing. but i think roc has essentially taken what hitman was doing with the showmanship and elevated it. dudes got so much fuckin energy its wild. otherwise id have hitman up there in his spot

i cant put con up there because the midget rule applies to everyone, not just illmac, and i mother fuckin hate midgets!!!!!!!

I GOTTA REP SO BIG

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:

Last edited by brodeezy; 10-25-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
His first and third were mediocre as all hell. Fire second though, but Roc clearly lost.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
iamHBY

Quote:
fwiw my rushmore over the kotd/url era is ars hollow verb and tay tay

i dont really do the all time thing. but i think roc has essentially taken what hitman was doing with the showmanship and elevated it. dudes got so much fuckin energy its wild. otherwise id have hitman up there in his spot
But IMO, thereís not really a Roc performance on par with letís say Hitmanís performances against Arsonal or JJDD or O-Red. Hitman had performance, but he was also effectively acting as a roadblock for those guys when they had a lot of momentum. Hell, even at SM6, it seemed like everyone had Shine beating Hitman before the battle, and Hitman kinda fucked up Shine in Shineís first URL solo battle since Rex.

To me, clear victories over top names is more substantial to a resume than having a bunch of debatable battles.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #11
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Hollow clearly on the Rushmore. Also, why is OP saying nigga when he's clearly white?
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #12
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
His first and third were mediocre as all hell. Fire second though, but Roc clearly lost.
Basically yeah.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Assassin Ben

Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher D'Gusto View Post
First off, I like Hollow as much as the next fan, but Roc won. Stop the foolishness.

As far as this Rushmore stuff goes, why bother? Just gonna be another 5-page thread with the same results as every other Rushmore thread from the last 5-7 years.
Dunno, his 2nd was kinda inspiring. I'm a big hollow fan but he didn't do much special in this battle. Roc kinda spazzed on him.

Roc has done alot in battle rap, if he beats Dizaster, why not consider him for a Top 4/5 great.

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
Assassin Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
Roc definitely should be considered for Mt. Rushmore at this point.
It would be unfair if he wasn't at this point. The only thing that he's missing is a Mook, Lux, Diz or Pat Stay.

Could the same thing be said about Bigg K?

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Old 10-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin Ben View Post
It would be unfair if he wasn't at this point. The only thing that he's missing is a Mook, Lux, Diz or Pat Stay.

My thing is with Bigg K, he's consistently won against a lot of big names. Meanwhile, Roc to me has taken Surf's spot at being Mr. Debatable (except in every single battle, he's guaranteed to have at least a couple "Urn & ash, that's Nash" level of cringeworthy attempts at wordplay, or bars that just flat out aren't good).
Old 10-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #16
brodeezy

yeah but the "big names" tay tay has got are a looot bigger than the "big names" big k has got

I GOTTA REP SO BIG

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
Tay Roc is top 5 for sure.

EDIT: Rushmore is Rex, Ars, Hollow, and Verb. Only two in the discussion for GOAT are Rex and Ars as far as I'm concerned. Both have the Jay-Z "relevant in multiple different eras" checkmark that pretty much no one else does. Definitely not my top 4 or top 2 though.

Last edited by GetPaid; 10-25-2017 at 06:15 PM.
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #18
iamHBY

Quote:
yeah but the "big names" tay tay has got are a looot bigger than the "big names" big k has got
I know they both battled people like Arsonal, Ill Will and JC, and while Roc has battled people like Clips, Surf and Hollow, K's also battled people like Verb, Math and Conceited (and won clearly).
Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
Assassin Ben

Quote:
My thing is with Bigg K, he's consistently won against a lot of big names. Meanwhile, Roc to me has taken Surf's spot at being Mr. Debatable (except in every single battle, he's guaranteed to have at least a couple "Urn & ash, that's Nash" level of cringeworthy attempts at wordplay, or bars that just flat out aren't good).
Yeah, can't argue with that, been a while since he bodied a cat. Like surf said though, sometimes "It's a fight not the score". seems to be working for him.

On another note, y'all need to get me to America indefinitely, I'm a teacher...get me the fuck outta UK...I know random...but

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Old 10-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
iamHBY

Quote:
Yeah, can't argue with that, been a while since he bodied a cat. Like surf said though, sometimes "It's a fight not the score". :
And that would be fine to me if he was having the kind of performances that Surf was having against people like Conceited. Instead, since the Clips rematch, he's had too many battles like the ones against Surf, Calicoe or Nitty that make his flaws as a battler really obvious (and to the point where it's almost like every battle, he has a really mediocre 1st, the 2nd where he turns up, and then a 3rd round where it's really hit or miss), but none of his die-hard fans are willing to admit his glaring flaws. It's almost like talking to a Chess fan that'll talk up how great his bars are, but ignore that he'll have 8 minute rounds where half of the round could've been left on the cutting room floor, or make excuses for why he chokes or stumbles in every single battle.

Plus, maybe it's the nature of Roc mostly being a punchline guy, but what rounds of his are on par with let's say Hollow's 1st against Clips, Hitman's 2nd against Ars or Verb's 3rd against Hitman?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #21
Assassin Ben

Quote:
And that would be fine to me if he was having the kind of performances that Surf was having against people like Conceited. Instead, since the Clips rematch, he's had too many battles like the ones against Surf, Calicoe or Nitty that make his flaws as a battler really obvious (and to the point where it's almost like every battle, he has a really mediocre 1st, the 2nd where he turns up, and then a 3rd round where it's really hit or miss), but none of his die-hard fans are willing to admit his glaring flaws. It's almost like talking to a Chess fan that'll talk up how great his bars are, but ignore that he'll have 8 minute rounds where half of the round could've been left on the cutting room floor, or make excuses for why he chokes or stumbles in every single battle.

Plus, maybe it's the nature of Roc mostly being a punchline guy, but what rounds of his are on par with let's say Hollow's 1st against Clips, Hitman's 2nd against Ars or Verb's 3rd against Hitman?
He sucked vs. Nitty and Chess, I couldn't finish the battles. The Dizaster one should be good.

Tay Roc's got some great second rounds tbf, may be the king of the second rd

2nd vs O-Red
2nd vs QP
2nd vs Calicoe
2nd vs Surf
2nd vs Clips
2nd vs Hollow
2nd vs K Shine

Not sure if they're better the ones which you mentioned but he's had some fire rounds. He's doing the best he can with what he's got, I fuck wit roc.

Hollow's 1st vs Clips was IMMENSE

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson

Last edited by Assassin Ben; 10-25-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
lukej

lukej is not the worst person
Quote:

I think Bigg K needs that ultra top-tier battle...if it's Hollow, that would be kind of funny, considering it's a Hollow Battle that arguably just decided two Mt. Rushmore's.

I think Bigg K needs his Roc battle, and if he doesn't clearly lose, it kind of solidifies his spot.

This does all seem pretty simplified as if Roc "defines" Bigg K when in actuality, Bigg K's legacy fucking defines Bigg K. But he doesn't have a classic with someone like Hollow, and Roc arguably does, so I'd say Roc and not K (yet)

Then again who gives a fuck about a "Rushmore" the fact is K is one of the GOATs
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #23
Assassin Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
I think Bigg K needs that ultra top-tier battle...if it's Hollow, that would be kind of funny, considering it's a Hollow Battle that arguably just decided two Mt. Rushmore's.

I think Bigg K needs his Roc battle, and if he doesn't clearly lose, it kind of solidifies his spot.

This does all seem pretty simplified as if Roc "defines" Bigg K when in actuality, Bigg K's legacy fucking defines Bigg K. But he doesn't have a classic with someone like Hollow, and Roc arguably does, so I'd say Roc and not K (yet)

Then again who gives a fuck about a "Rushmore" the fact is K is one of the GOATs
Valid point, Bigg K should battle Roc at some point, right now would be spot on. A lot of battlers are ducking Bigg K, it's sad. I mean he has beaten Verb, arguably Con, Pat Stay, Ill Will, JC, Magic, arguably ICE, Big Kannon, Math, ...and a few more. That's a killing spree, not giving him a shot at an elite tier battler is backwards for the culture.

Bigg K and Roc are Top 10 GOATs

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. Big Pun
4. MF Doom
5. Notorious BIG
6. Fred The Godson
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #24
JR77

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Calicoe molested him though

Cal >>>>
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #25
brodeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR77 View Post
Calicoe molested him though

Cal >>>>
he is definitely a known battle rap molester

I GOTTA REP SO BIG

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Old 10-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #26
Ayo!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ayo! is a PY Poster
My Mt. Rushmore: The Saurus, Illmac, Iron Solomon, and maybe Charron? 4th one is hard. Charron or Dizaster for me.
Ayo! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #27
Stolos

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Stolos is not the worst person
Tay Roc's rise from mid tier to super top tier and URL's face of the league the past 3-4 years is nothing short of remarkable. He may of had some debatable here and there, but he is no doubt one of the best performance games in battle rap which is arguably the most important thing.

It might be too early to put him on Mt. Rushmore, but after he kills Diz and maybe gets another big name like Lux or Bigg K, it would be hard not to have him on there.
Stolos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #28
youdontwannabethatguy
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayo! View Post
My Mt. Rushmore: The Saurus, Illmac, Iron Solomon, and maybe Charron? 4th one is hard. Charron or Dizaster for me.
charron?

like corey charron? even solomon a shakey choice but charron?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #29
Ayo!

Ayo! is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
charron?

like corey charron? even solomon a shakey choice but charron?
Yes, Corey Charron. The Smack Killer. He may be a nerd but he's amassed a graveyard of bodies. How many Smack rappers does he have to kill to get credit?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:32 AM   #30
Casual

Mentioned: 450 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Mt. Rushmore in the KOTD/URL era would be Hollow, Ars, Cal, Verb.

Bigg K needs to battle Cal imo. I feel like that's a good endgame for him.

Cal got the best resume in battle rap...

Surf
Roc
Pat
Hitman
Lux
Rex
Math
Red
Ars
Shine
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:54 AM   #31
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post

Surf
Roc
Pat
Hitman
Lux
Rex
Math
Red
Ars
Shine
He does have a pretty solid resume.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:39 AM   #32
brodeezy

Quote:
How many Smack rappers does he have to kill to get credit?
1 would be a good start

I GOTTA REP SO BIG

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #33
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Quote:
How many Smack rappers does he have to kill to get credit?
one..
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #34
ledge
JERSEY | ux9

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
ledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarcticaledge is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Yes, Corey Charron. The Smack Killer. He may be a nerd but he's amassed a graveyard of bodies. How many Smack rappers does he have to kill to get credit?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #35
Ayo!

Ayo! is a PY Poster
Quote:
1 would be a good start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
one..
Aye Verb, Tay Roc, K-Shine (aggravated murder), John John Da (Holocaust) Denier, Charlie Clips (aggravated murder), Shotgun Suge (aggravated murder), B-Magic, Arsonal, DNA.

Y'all betta recognize!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #36
brodeezy

negged

I GOTTA REP SO BIG

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Old 10-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #37
Trill Murray

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Trill Murray is not the worst person
Quote:

Surf
Roc
Pat
Hitman
Lux
Rex
Math
Red
Ars
Shine
Cal one of my favorites too, but if we still include Ars, then he hands down has the best resume in battle rap
you play for the worst team and you the 3rd string option,you gettin yo ass whooped, and everybody on the first team watchin, this we clap hammers here batman premiere that clip release got at least 13 droppin!!" -JC against Chilla
Trill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 AM   #38
Casual

Mentioned: 450 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill Murray View Post
Cal one of my favorites too, but if we still include Ars, then he hands down has the best resume in battle rap
Thing about Cal's resume is that there's very few shit battles. He's selective, he's got no glaring holes in his resume. His battles are nearly all on high profile stages against the best of the best.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #39
Marcus

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Marcus is better than Grind Time AustraliaMarcus is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Thing about Cal's resume is that there's very few shit battles. He's selective, he's got no glaring holes in his resume. His battles are nearly all on high profile stages against the best of the best.
He lost to DNA though

Which is almost the only knock on his resume I can think of off the top of my head.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #40
Trill Murray

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Trill Murray is not the worst person
Quote:
I feel you on that, besides that DNA battle, but we'll pretend that never happened hahaha

I'm just saying Arsonal's away resume is something that no ones even come close to:

vs Pat in Canada
vs Calicoe in Detroit
vs Shotty Horroh in London
vs Verb in STL
vs Diz in Cali
vs E-Ness in Philly
vs Bigg K in VA

Also battled:
Hitman
Hollow
Lux
Tay Roc
K-Shine
T-Rex
Math
Iron Solomon
JC
Yung Ill
Qleen Paper
Conceited
Goodz
DNA
Chilla
Brizz

Thats insane.

Tbh, I think he left b/c theres essentially no one really left for him to battle haha. He said he'd never battle anyone from Jersey
you play for the worst team and you the 3rd string option,you gettin yo ass whooped, and everybody on the first team watchin, this we clap hammers here batman premiere that clip release got at least 13 droppin!!" -JC against Chilla

Last edited by Trill Murray; 10-30-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Trill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags