Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
ANYBODY want to admit whats killing battle rap is not having GRINDTIME?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
IKNOWALL

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
IKNOWALL is not the worst person
ANYBODY want to admit whats killing battle rap is not having GRINDTIME?

I remember when GRINDTIME was going down a lot of you nerds were happy. You wanted it to fail you wanted KOTD to be number one. The smart people like me were saying be careful what you ask for.

What GRINDTIME did was allow us to get new talent from all over the country and watch it rise up it also gave us so many styles. Now we have Norbes doing his things which is a good thing. But the other major power is KOTD and Jpro bum ass and Avo making decisions. We no longer get to mind talent all over the county and the its sad

IKNOWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Topgunz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Topgunz is not the worst person
GrindTime only fell apart cause niggas couldn't get along and make money together, even if they didn't like each other.
Topgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 562 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Not sure if this is part of the point OP is making, but I also miss grindtime because they weren't trying to be tough guys or make any kinda of social/political statements. I also liked how they had a lot of different styles and people from all over the country. Seemed like there was more unity then, and less of an "us vs them" type mentality.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
brodeezy

Mentioned: 627 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
grindtime was >>>>>>>

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 942 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
DF USA made a good effort at recreating a more modern GT atmosphere with their recent events in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, and Florida. I don't know if it was a sustainable model for them financially however.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
6000GP
tupac back

6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
DF USA made a good effort at recreating a more modern GT atmosphere with their recent events in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, and Florida. I don't know if it was a sustainable model for them financially however.
Yeah, especially in 2015, DF USA really had that grind time feel and it was good
Old 08-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Mark Doubt

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Mark Doubt is not the worst person
well GT did what neither URL or KOTD has done, and that was spread out all over the country. this is what is missing from todays battling. not a lot of leagues are around anymore b/c it's starting to become obviouis that unless you know what you're doing (and even if you do) this business isn't a money maker. you have bullpen in atl, kotd in cali, and url in ny...but that's a whole lot of of places left without a league close enough to battle on.
Mark Doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
EchosMyron

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
EchosMyron is not the worst person
Yeah, Grind Time was awesome. The scene would be much better today if the major players didn't let it fail.
EchosMyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
brodeezy

brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
you know, it actually is hilarious thinking back how many people were excited and happy that grind time collapsed and that KOTD was gonna absorb a bunch of their talent

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 08-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
paddy87

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
paddy87 is better than Grind Time Australiapaddy87 is better than Grind Time Australia
say whay you want about some of the guys that ran it,grindtime were the bluepeint and foundations for scene now.

it actually brought together talent from all areas,america needs a kinda nationwide structure in the way GT had.

@hectorbizerk
paddy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
GT size and reach made it good. If DF USA and KOTD can spread out more they can revive it. I like what KOTD doing out west, if Pen really did the KOTD East DF runs the South and midwest on a regular basis, theres some potential.

GT had its place

I remember people being happy but I dont remember it being those you would put in the nerd category. It was more of the street fans who were claiming KOTD would be next.
Plus a bunch of us Canadians were just happy KOTD won out because so many ppl were predicting the other way.

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #12
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 832 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
GT's size is also what contributed to it dying tho

when Absyrd founded GT Montana and ppl started treating it like a free for all, things got out of hand

<3 Absyrd if u read this
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #13
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
Grindtime lowkey would of booked Brizz Rawsteen vs E Farrell
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #14
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1461 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKNOWALL View Post
We no longer get to mind talent all over the county and the its sad
Yikes
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 AM   #15
RonRon da Dong
Ronald R. McDongald

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
RonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I feel like more 60-90 sec rounds would help to fill the void a little, forced rappers to be direct as possible and use less filler.

I got 4 more bars hold on ..

then rap a whole 16
RonRon da Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #16
Fingers

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Fingers is not the worst person
It was timed rounds. New talent are being introduced via unlimited rounds and it's too long.

Jimz for instance is soooooo dope! But I can't whip through 8 minute rounds like the ol' 15 minute battles.

Imagine Jimz, Brizz, Showoff, DOT, Chilla, 100 Bulletz, Charron, etc with 90 second rounds.
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
It was timed rounds. New talent are being introduced via unlimited rounds and it's too long.

Jimz for instance is soooooo dope! But I can't whip through 8 minute rounds like the ol' 15 minute battles.

Imagine Jimz, Brizz, Showoff, DOT, Chilla, 100 Bulletz, Charron, etc with 90 second rounds.
very true these 1hr long battles make it too much. Especially when every league is doing them now.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #18
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:

I don't like it at all. Maybe for someone with charron's type of style, what-with the rhyming insult comedy, and so forth, but street rappers / elite rappers have always needed longer rounds, which is why many of them didnt go very far in the grind time format. I like different kinds of battle rap, but I don't really like the homogenization of it all.

Some tv shows, like situation comedy, for example, is perfectly fine being a half hour. Some shows like dramas or thrillers that have a story to tell need more time. That is to say, a show like the Simpsons doesn't really work as an hour long, and part of that is because every episode is a stand alone episode, with low stakes, and no effect on future/past episodes or continuing story line. Conversely, a show like breaking bad would feel rushed and forced in just a half hour, because there are continuing story arcs with higher stakes that need more time to be fully fleshed out. Now, breaking bad might not be everyone's cup of tea, and you might be a bigger fan of the Simpsons, but that doesn't mean that breaking bad would be better if it were more like the Simpsons. You'd be taking away part of what makes breaking bad good in the first place if you cut the time the creators have to tell the story in half.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
I don't like it at all. Maybe for someone with charron's type of style, what-with the rhyming insult comedy, and so forth, but street rappers / elite rappers have always needed longer rounds, which is why many of them didnt go very far in the grind time format. I like different kinds of battle rap, but I don't really like the homogenization of it all.

Some tv shows, like situation comedy, for example, is perfectly fine being a half hour. Some shows like dramas or thrillers that have a story to tell need more time. That is to say, a show like the Simpsons doesn't really work as an hour long, and part of that is because every episode is a stand alone episode, with low stakes, and no effect on future/past episodes or continuing story line. Conversely, a show like breaking bad would feel rushed and forced in just a half hour, because there are continuing story arcs with higher stakes that need more time to be fully fleshed out. Now, breaking bad might not be everyone's cup of tea, and you might be a bigger fan of the Simpsons, but that doesn't mean that breaking bad would be better if it were more like the Simpsons. You'd be taking away part of what makes breaking bad good in the first place if you cut the time the creators have to tell the story in half.
60 seconds is too short for good rappers but the 3 mins stopping time for crowd reaction is too long for majority of rappers regardless of style.

I've always said 90 seconds to 2 min is perfect for battle rap
If you are doing 3 min rounds you need to go to old FK style and its 3 min max cut off.

Even those that can hold onto the attention It still makes the battle itself way to long

Old 08-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #20
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
60 seconds is too short for good rappers but the 3 mins stopping time for crowd reaction is too long for majority of rappers regardless of style.

I've always said 90 seconds to 2 min is perfect for battle rap
If you are doing 3 min rounds you need to go to old FK style and its 3 min max cut off.

Even those that can hold onto the attention It still makes the battle itself way to long
I don't think all battle rap is the same. For certain situations, 90sec - 2mins makes sense. For other situations, 3+ mins make sense. You don't seem to like battles from the latter situation, so my advice is to stop watching it, stick to your short battles, and let people enjoy the long battles without you trying to change shit. There's room for everyone.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #21
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
KOTD is what GT should've been. They filled the spot simultaneously with GT sinking.
Serge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #22
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Fans were only happy to see Grind Time (Madd Illz) fail after it was already a garbage league doing nothing of value. It would be different if fans quit supporting GT in favor of KOTD while GT was still doing good shit.
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #23
brodeezy

damn could yall imagine if shit like hollow/lux or surf/roc were 60 second rounds. thatd be so bad

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 PM   #24
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
I don't think all battle rap is the same. For certain situations, 90sec - 2mins makes sense. For other situations, 3+ mins make sense. You don't seem to like battles from the latter situation, so my advice is to stop watching it, stick to your short battles, and let people enjoy the long battles without you trying to change shit. There's room for everyone.
I just think its easier to ruin a battle for being to long than too short
And its opinion as to what thinks would work best in general or majority of the time.
I think 90-2 mins works in majority of situations. If it`s a tryout you make it less. If it`s abig match or main event you make it more. I feel that kind of general rule would produce the best matchups.

Try to change shit you act like super long matches have been the norm

Old 08-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #25
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
KOTD is what GT should've been. They filled the spot simultaneously with GT sinking.
They arent big enough to fill what GT did. They dont got no real reach in the South

Old 08-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #26
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
I just think its easier to ruin a battle for being to long than too short
And its opinion as to what thinks would work best in general or majority of the time.
I think 90-2 mins works in majority of situations. If it`s a tryout you make it less. If it`s abig match or main event you make it more. I feel that kind of general rule would produce the best matchups.

Try to change shit you act like super long matches have been the norm
I'm saying, if that's the format you prefer, than thats fantastic, but to make it a general rule is where I think you're trippin. Not everyone, across the board, should have the same format for battling. There's plenty of 90sec - 2min battles out there for you to watch. It being a general rule that all of battle rap has to abide by is fucking crazy lol.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 AM   #27
thekotdchain

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
thekotdchain probably likes in here/hair word play
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeezy View Post
grindtime was >>>>>>>
biggest hypocrite in the game.

Grindtime was the biggest backpack scene going, no matter who came out of that shit. The same style you all hated on KOTD for being. All the homegrown KOTD talent that wouldn't fly with all the haters on the forums were basically Grindtime style rappers. KOTD started bringing in all the URL guys and shit to appease the fanbase demanding it.. then you big up Grindtime.

Smh.

• Pat Stay
  • Real Deal
  • Head Ice

thekotdchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #28
brodeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekotdchain View Post
biggest hypocrite in the game.

Grindtime was the biggest backpack scene going, no matter who came out of that shit. The same style you all hated on KOTD for being. All the homegrown KOTD talent that wouldn't fly with all the haters on the forums were basically Grindtime style rappers. KOTD started bringing in all the URL guys and shit to appease the fanbase demanding it.. then you big up Grindtime.

Smh.

#unseasoned

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #29
thekotdchain

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
thekotdchain probably likes in here/hair word play
haha. You're a classic brodeezy
  • Pat Stay
  • Real Deal
  • Head Ice

thekotdchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #30
brodeezy

i mean, its pretty obvious that when talking about grindtime being ">>>>" i aint talking about illmac's rounds vs conceited or anything to do with soul khan

its the ars/con's, the marv/verbs, the e ness/solomons, etc. ofc they had backpacker type shit tho, difference was that fans of it didnt shove their "FAGGOT JOKES >>>> GENERIC GUN BARS" opinions down everyones throat like they did after the kotd "merge" or w/e u wanna call it

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:

Last edited by brodeezy; 08-12-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #31
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
I'm saying, if that's the format you prefer, than thats fantastic, but to make it a general rule is where I think you're trippin. Not everyone, across the board, should have the same format for battling. There's plenty of 90sec - 2min battles out there for you to watch. It being a general rule that all of battle rap has to abide by is fucking crazy lol.
but we already have general rules its not like battles coming out with various times based on battles. I am just stating what I think the general times should be.

You dont complain that battles league drop battles at the same length with a general rule

Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #32
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
but we already have general rules
No "we" don't

Every platform controls it's own format. There's no governing body that says what all the platforms must do. And thats exactly how it should be.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #33
Anti
Mr. Articulate

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Anti is better than Grind Time AntarcticaAnti is better than Grind Time AntarcticaAnti is better than Grind Time AntarcticaAnti is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
but we already have general rules its not like battles coming out with various times based on battles. I am just stating what I think the general times should be.

You dont complain that battles league drop battles at the same length with a general rule
Quote:
No "we" don't

Every platform controls it's own format. There's no governing body that says what all the platforms must do. And thats exactly how it should be.
What he's saying makes sense. I feel like you two won't be disagreeing as much if you change "rule", hard, to "guideline".
Anti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:39 AM   #34
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti View Post
What he's saying makes sense. I feel like you two won't be disagreeing as much if you change "rule", hard, to "guideline".
Every URL battle is 3 min rounds but not everyone should be especially some of there pgs and new people is what I am trying to say

He just chooses to argue with me.
They are unwritten rules that leagues do seem to follow in there battles I am just saying what would I think would be good ones to implement

Old 08-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #35
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
AdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICE
that and dorks like efarrell and erik foreman doing gun bars
AdarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #36
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
AdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICE
Quote:

you almost convinced me than you fucked up your whole shit.

in b4 you tell me why you like burgers and autism jr
AdarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #37
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Grindtime was great. Btw I invented sarcastic gun bars
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #38
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
Grindtime was great. Btw I invented sarcastic gun bars
your name is perfectly chantable, has it ever been chanted

e-ric fore-man

*clap clap clapclapclap*

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #39
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedboy View Post
your name is perfectly chantable, has it ever been chanted

e-ric fore-man

*clap clap clapclapclap*
Wow!!! Not yet but it should

If I die I'll finally get recognized
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #40
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdarOne View Post
you almost convinced me than you fucked up your whole shit.

in b4 you tell me why you like burgers and autism jr
Watch 100 Bulletz Dont Flop performances and tell me how you can not like his style.

Tags
unseasoned