Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Why Donít Battle Rap Fans Like Cortez?

Old 08-30-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
iamHBY

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Why Donít Battle Rap Fans Like Cortez?

I was just thinking about this yesterday after Cortez vs. Eazy The Block Captain went down on URLís Caffeine stream as part of the Rookies Vs. Vets II series theyíre doing (which have also had Jey The Nitewing vs. Shotgun Suge and Kid Chaos vs. JC happen). The battle happens, and a lot of the fan response was Eazy 3-0, but an overwhelming majority of the people that had Eazy winning werenít really quoting specific material of his and just using it more as an opportunity to generally eviscerate Cortez. I understand battle rap is subjective and not everyone will like the same thing, but it seems like Cortez gets X-Pac heat from battle rap fans that Iíve never really understood. Is it because people genuinely donít think heís good, or is it more from like Surf constantly talking down on him?
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I was just thinking about this yesterday after Cortez vs. Eazy The Block Captain went down on URL’s Caffeine stream as part of the Rookies Vs. Vets II series they’re doing (which have also had Jey The Nitewing vs. Shotgun Suge and Kid Chaos vs. JC happen). The battle happens, and a lot of the fan response was Eazy 3-0, but an overwhelming majority of the people that had Eazy winning weren’t really quoting specific material of his and just using it more as an opportunity to generally eviscerate Cortez. I understand battle rap is subjective and not everyone will like the same thing, but it seems like Cortez gets X-Pac heat from battle rap fans that I’ve never really understood. Is it because people genuinely don’t think he’s good, or is it more from like Surf constantly talking down on him?
cortez is an excellent rapper. but one aspect of battling i think he struggles with is coming up with haymakers. maybe that's it? maybe it's the fact that he's a light-skinned hispanic dropping n bombs? idk. there could be some racism in there. it might be surf talking down to him, it might be something about his personality. idk.

but there is some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy where fans are constantly calling him "midtier" or "garbage tier" for life.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will

Last edited by Abstrakt; 08-30-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
It's probably just fan groupthink and the fact he's not that good for a vet.

Cortez seems like a normal person, so I don't think fans would have anything personal against him. Battle rap is kinda cliquish, and you never associate him with any other top-tiers. I don't pay attention to battle rap media much, but there's that clip of Surf making fun of him, and I assume other top names have either done the same or feel the same way. Battle rap fans are super impressionable, so it makes sense they'll follow the trend of hating Cortez.

I still like Cortez. I think he used to be good, but it's like he doesn't understand what made him good and just started writing generic punchlines like everyone else. Eazy snapped tho.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 945 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
cortez is an excellent rapper. but one aspect of battling i think he struggles with is coming up with haymakers. maybe that's it? maybe it's the fact that he's a light-skinned hispanic dropping n bombs? idk. there could be some racism in there. it might be surf talking down to him, it might be something about his personality. idk.

but there is some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy where fans are constantly calling him "midtier" or "garbage tier" for life.
I haven't watched one of his battles in years but this describes him well based on what I remember.

I remember him being a real big name from like 2009-2012, then once he started battling a lot more frequently, his rep got spoiled by a few mediocre performances, he likely lost favor with URL during a crucial time, and had a long uphill battle towards reestablishing himself as top tier.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
not that memorable a lot of the time , been mid tier for about a decade and honestly lowkey think its cause he's hispanic a lot of URL fans dont like him
Old 08-31-2020, 12:09 AM   #6
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
lack of projection (his voice is monotone) and most importantly lacking in memorable bars
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
Profess
I'm Lovin' It

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
If he hit the gym and impressed Beasley with his physique then he'd get more of a push
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:50 AM   #8
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I am genuinely trying to think of huge Cortez moments and struggling to come up with anything (His third vs. Hollohan?).

He has that problem of being a vet more based on years in the scene than being capable of legendary performances.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:09 AM   #9
Water Mage

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
I am genuinely trying to think of huge Cortez moments and struggling to come up with anything (His third vs. Hollohan?).

He has that problem of being a vet more based on years in the scene than being capable of legendary performances.
Yeah that celebrated 3rd round vs Hollohan is why I dislike Cortez.. Blaming Hollohan for Bruce B's death from drugs is wack.. It's not like Hollohan was close friends with Bruce B, when an addict loses their life to addiction, you can't really blame anyone for that, Hollohan suffered from addiction himself, it's a health problem and a mental health problem and Hollohan, suffering the same health problem as Bruce B, is not expected to save his friend's life

....The fact that Cortez would look at that tragedy (that ruins lives all around us) and blame it on Hollohan, just because his Hollohan didn't have the wherewithal to get himself and Bruce clean, is really wack --- Hollohan needed help just as much as Bruce B, and it could have been him just as easily... Using tragedy and a very serious and complicated health problem as an angle in a rap battle -- Beyond wack IMO and to this day I can't understand why people think it's a legendary round...

Watch Ray Quan's reaction to Cortez, his face says it all.. It's disrespectful to Ray Quan too because I guess by the same logic Ray Quan and the Woo Tang Clan all have blood on their hands for not saving Odie B? And Raekwon never came back for another KOTD event after that, hm, I wonder why...

Last edited by Water Mage; 08-31-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:10 AM   #10
Uza
VIP

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Uza is not the worst person
He doesn’t have the charisma he thinks he has. And his slogan is hella wack and self-defeating.
Uza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uza View Post
He doesnít have the charisma he thinks he has. And his slogan is hella wack and self-defeating.
ďI may not perform like a top tier... but I get paid a lot for my mediocre performances!Ē

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 08-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #12
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Cortez had a CRAZY first vs b dot. THAT was a top tier performance

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 08-31-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
Profess
I'm Lovin' It

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Didn't Cortez beat Big K a few years ago. iirc that loss was the start of a loosing steak for Bigg K

Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #14
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Cortez is great imo, always said he was v underrated. He had an on beat vs Butta which was crazy.

Problem is he never has moments really. He’s just consistently good, which ain’t enough to be seen as top of top tier.
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #15
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
agreed about his battle in Verbal Warzone, he really killed that

he also was pretty nice v Dizaster back in the day

I think he is just destined to be mediocre for the most part, he lacks that "Je ne sais quoi" or x factor, sixth sense, that is kind of more a need than a want when we're talking about art
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #16
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowposter View Post
Cortez is great imo, always said he was v underrated. He had an on beat vs Butta which was crazy.

Problem is he never has moments really. Heís just consistently good, which ainít enough to be seen as top of top tier.
I feel like he used to have moments tho like vs Hitman and hollohan. Like somebody said before, he needs to go back to when he had that ďITĒ factor. He was good at exposing people.

Iíve said this multiple times but I LOVED his 1st vs b dot.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 09-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #17
sleeping dogs

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
sleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australiasleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australia
cortez has some fire material occasionally, but as a vet he just doesn't particularly stand out. he raps well, doesn't have the charisma or rapport with fans to warrant reacting to his own material, "nasty" unlike conceited who can oversell an average or slightly above average punchline and the crowd will rock with it. he's kind of in a similar space as DNA where he mostly just exists as kind of a gatekeeper.
the market sold imaginations just to keep you in the dark"

current top 5: tay roc, tsu surf, pat stay, loaded lux, geechi gotti
sleeping dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #18
Casual

Mentioned: 454 Post(s)
Casual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battle
It’s just hard to get excited for Cortez. He’s...fine? He’ll show up and give you a consistent and good performance probably but that’s about it. Not to say he doesn’t occasionally have a moment but I don’t ever expect it to happen. One of those battlers who I’ll watch their rounds if they’re battling someone I like, but I’d never even open the link if it’s against someone that doesn’t interest me (ie. Easy the block captain).

He’s in that Real Deal territory.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:07 AM   #19
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
One of those battlers who Iíll watch their rounds if theyíre battling someone I like, but Iíd never even open the link if itís against someone that doesnít interest me (ie. Easy the block captain).
Haha! I think the Eazy Da Block Captain test is a good litmus test for battlers. If you wouldn't watch a battle of them vs. EDBC, then they probably aren't elite tier.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
StankDaddy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Yeah that celebrated 3rd round vs Hollohan is why I dislike Cortez.. Blaming Hollohan for Bruce B's death from drugs is wack.. It's not like Hollohan was close friends with Bruce B, when an addict loses their life to addiction, you can't really blame anyone for that, Hollohan suffered from addiction himself, it's a health problem and a mental health problem and Hollohan, suffering the same health problem as Bruce B, is not expected to save his friend's life

....The fact that Cortez would look at that tragedy (that ruins lives all around us) and blame it on Hollohan, just because his Hollohan didn't have the wherewithal to get himself and Bruce clean, is really wack --- Hollohan needed help just as much as Bruce B, and it could have been him just as easily... Using tragedy and a very serious and complicated health problem as an angle in a rap battle -- Beyond wack IMO and to this day I can't understand why people think it's a legendary round...

Watch Ray Quan's reaction to Cortez, his face says it all.. It's disrespectful to Ray Quan too because I guess by the same logic Ray Quan and the Woo Tang Clan all have blood on their hands for not saving Odie B? And Raekwon never came back for another KOTD event after that, hm, I wonder why...
Idk if you're trolling, but at risk of looking like a pissbaby - WOW you're wrong.

Bruce and Hollohan were close. Hollohan AGREED with Cortez and released potentially the best thing to ever come out of KOTD in Lost Love/Bruce B.
Getting high-and-mighty about THIS round vs any other round where the rapper hyperbolizes and slant-associates their opponent with some issue that seems important... its bizarre.

Aside from this, as an ex-addict and someone who has badly influenced oethers, you're just plain wrong. People do cause others do take roads, make choices, confirm loyalties etc.. etc.. and often these include the type of decisions that got Bruce to where he was.
Is it Hollohan's fault he's dead? No. Would Bruce be alive if NOT for Hollohan? most likely. And that was Hollohan's take too.
StankDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #21
Water Mage

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankDaddy View Post
Is it Hollohan's fault he's dead? No.
I'm glad to hear that you agree with me

Congrats on breaking through your addiction, all the power to you.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #22
Lizman

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Lizman has seen da-feet
I Have Always Liked Cortez And Am the Only One On Caffeine Actively Defending Him.

I Do Not Like His Overuse Of The N Word Nor The Fact That He Often Messes Up His Chances, But His Raps Are Cool And His Music Is Even Cooler (Especially "16s And Better")
Lizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #23
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizman View Post
I Have Always Liked Cortez And Am the Only One On Caffeine Actively Defending Him.

I Do Not Like His Overuse Of The N Word Nor The Fact That He Often Messes Up His Chances, But His Raps Are Cool And His Music Is Even Cooler (Especially "16s And Better")
Yeah. I always thought one of the biggest things that led to Cortez rep is his use of the N word. I think in some places people donít care but Iíve seen people use that as an angle against him.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will

Tags