Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Battle in FlipTop?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
anygma
VIP

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
anygma is a PY Poster
Battle in FlipTop?

Btw, have been trying to put together our next international event, Tectonics 3.

I know a lot of emcees are more than interested especially given the gain in views they'll be receiving but obviously we cannot host everyone especially being a third world country. yes, our league makes money, but no it's not enough to give out free vacations to just about anyone who wants the views, especially when I can spend the money on our local talent that also deserves and most likely needs the dough more.

of course our other obstacles will be: match up availability and compatibility as we only have a few active battlers in english and would obviously want to maximize the potential match ups. not every foreign emcee will be received well out here so we obviously will prioritize those that will over those that won't. and yeah again, the money.

to put things into perspective, a person would be lucky to book a cali-manila flight for as low as 1000 USD. 1000 USD converted is 45,000 philippine pesos. monthly minimum wage (bracket of most of the country) is only 8,000, hardly 20 percent of the plane ticket. a monthly salary of 18,000 (still not 50% of a plane ticket) is already considered decent over here.

so consider that, hotel, local transportation, food, event costs, talent fee (if some insist), etc., that we would all gladly provide for if we any more affluent a league or country, just for you some of yall to get views.

that being said, hit me up with ideas and hopefully we can strike whatever deals to make dope battles happen!

p.s. i'm well aware that i will have to disappoint some interested emcees in favor of better deals and match ups so hopefully y'all don't take it personally.
anygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
rikkymang

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
rikkymang is a PY Poster
Respect to you guys putting in work to bring out more international battlers. BTW what is the Talent Fee? Is this the payment that battlers charge?
rikkymang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
anygma
VIP

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
anygma is a PY Poster
yeah that's what they call it over here at least
anygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
EstebanSugal

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
EstebanSugal is a PY Poster
Sak Maestro would be dope against an international emcee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
Competitive poets not being competitive?

EstebanSugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Are American battlers worth the investment? It seems like American battles actually have lower views than usual and yall probably already have a loyal fan base that shows up.

I think Rone, DNA, and Charlie Clips could all find some good match ups out there tho
JC
All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
ToddMargaret

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
ToddMargaret is not the worst person
Shoutout to you guys ! Hope you can make a good card within your limits.
I'm actually in the Philippines right now , spent 10 days on boracay right now I am in Iloilo tommrow I'm going to Palawan .
Such a beautiful country And the people are super friendly
ToddMargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
If you are deadset and able to get an international match, I still want to see @The Saurus vs. Loonie go down. Are they both still interested?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
ukallday
We FUCK THAT

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
ukallday is better than Grind Time Australiaukallday is better than Grind Time Australia
There are certain battles who go far to tailor their material towards the audience they are infront of (Loe did this well out there if i remember rightly) so those are the kind of guys I would aim for if I were you.

Thesaurus vs Loonie doesnt seem to have been rearranged by KOTD so maybe with their blessing that one could go down there. Would be a really good battle as the saurus doesnt ever slack and he deserves a big viewed battle.

Id like to see Soul out there tbh, I know his views arnt massive but he is definitely on the come up and hasnt had a bad battle in a long time. I think hes the kind of battler who will work hard to spit references that the crowd there will love.

An Ars battle out there would be insane, the highest viewed battle rapper outside of the Philippines vs the highest viewed battler over there would be very interesting. Again Ars is consistent and whilst he probably would write material specific to your audience he goes down well everywhere usually.

Personally Id love to see Oshea out there, think his battle would be funny as fuck but the humour might not translate and he can be abit less polished when hes had a few pints so I understand why this wont happen.

Id like to see a Zain Azrai return, he seems to have fell off the map after he had that failed event last year.
ukallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Thesaurus vs Loonie >>>> have KOTD sponsor it
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Okwerdz
We Have A The Saurus

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Okwerdz is not the worst person
i would seriously come back for a flip top battle, sounds like an awesome time.
Okwerdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Aftershock
VIP

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Aftershock is not the worst person
I'd be down, of course you're gonna get higher profile battlers....just putting it out there
Aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
PabloPicazo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
PabloPicazo is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okwerdz View Post
Oooooohhhhhhh Shhhhiiittttttt! *smack voice*
PabloPicazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #13
J.V.L.
Banned

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
J.V.L. is not the worst person
I'm down but I have no demand and make less than people living in the 3rd world.
J.V.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
I ain't a big fan of Charlie Clips but I've seen him live and he could capture any crowd really, and has a strong following who will bring in views aside from what you will allready get. Arsonal is the same, so really I'd say either of them would be the best option, that being said there are other battlers who would probably do well that wouldn't charge nearly as much.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #15
iceage

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
iceage is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukallday View Post
There are certain battles who go far to tailor their material towards the audience they are infront of (Loe did this well out there if i remember rightly) so those are the kind of guys I would aim for if I were you.

Thesaurus vs Loonie doesnt seem to have been rearranged by KOTD so maybe with their blessing that one could go down there. Would be a really good battle as the saurus doesnt ever slack and he deserves a big viewed battle.

Id like to see Soul out there tbh, I know his views arnt massive but he is definitely on the come up and hasnt had a bad battle in a long time. I think hes the kind of battler who will work hard to spit references that the crowd there will love.

An Ars battle out there would be insane, the highest viewed battle rapper outside of the Philippines vs the highest viewed battler over there would be very interesting. Again Ars is consistent and whilst he probably would write material specific to your audience he goes down well everywhere usually.

Personally Id love to see Oshea out there, think his battle would be funny as fuck but the humour might not translate and he can be abit less polished when hes had a few pints so I understand why this wont happen.

Id like to see a Zain Azrai return, he seems to have fell off the map after he had that failed event last year.

Unfortunately, I think the average pinoy will have a hard time understanding Soul and Oshea(or any rapper from the UK) because of their accent.

Im not sure if Arsonal will do well here. Filipinos love punchlines and Arsonal doesnt have them

As a Filipino, I think Charlie Clips will do really well here. As well as Thesaurus, Real Deal(I'm very interested in the angles he'll take) and Pat Stay. And yeah Okwerdz too
iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #16
Dark Magic

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Dark Magic is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceage View Post
Unfortunately, I think the average pinoy will have a hard time understanding Soul and Oshea(or any rapper from the UK) because of their accent.

Im not sure if Arsonal will do well here. Filipinos love punchlines and Arsonal doesnt have them

As a Filipino, I think Charlie Clips will do really well here. As well as Thesaurus, Real Deal(I'm very interested in the angles he'll take) and Pat Stay. And yeah Okwerdz too
You said Filipinos love punches but idk if the Filipino audience would be able to keep up with someone like B-Magic.

How about someone like T-Rex or Bigg K?
Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #17
barz2AM
NawmSayin

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
barz2AM is a PY Poster
Quote:
I wanna see this dude battle in Fliptop.Like seriously.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #18
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
Like someone else said, @anygma, why bother with North Americans? It's super nice that you're putting them on, so I'm not saying don't do it, just genuinely curious.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #19
barz2AM
NawmSayin

barz2AM is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceage View Post

I think people would love Charlie... he know's how to play the crowd.. umm.. Uno would be a good fit,,or dumbfounded,, if he would still battle..
Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #20
Maven

Maven probably likes in here/hair word play
I co-sign for a SMACK/URL rapper to go out there and spit them gutter bars. Would like to see Hitman, T-Rex, Big T, JC, Ill Will, B-Magic, Aye Verb, shit even Cortez go out there an annihilate their opponents.

Yeah I know, unlikely to happen.

But SMACK did say he going to the Philippines soon...any comments on that?

(peep at 5:53)

Last edited by Maven; 02-19-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #21
iceage

iceage is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post
You said Filipinos love punches but idk if the Filipino audience would be able to keep up with someone like B-Magic.

How about someone like T-Rex or Bigg K?
Well no i dont think the crowd here will appreciate B-Magic(and most of the URL cats) at all. Heavy wordplay punches will just go over people's heads, and the Filipino crowd wont get slangs and other hood references.(When I first watched URL battles in 2010 I was like "WTF is a Nine? a 3? a chopper, hammer, toolie? Who the fuck is _____? WTF is a ____ and so on"). When i said punches, I was thinkin of WRC Thesaurus type punches or Charron type punches(simple and direct, and mostly jokes)

Let's just say most of the Fliptop crowd will appreciate GrindTimeBefore type rappers more than URL type rappers

I dont know about T-rex, Bigg K will do well if he makes his punches relevant to Pinoys. His style is actually perfect for the crowd here
iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #22
Klemm Bell

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Klemm Bell probably likes in here/hair word play
Bring over some Aussies. I like the fact that Flip Top have started sending battlers over here. It was good watching Protege and yourself battle in Melbourne. Creating rivalries and more internationals will help make the region stronger as a whole.

I hope you get plenty of interest for the event from around the world. It would be good to see Okwerdz battle again if FlipTop is keen.
Klemm Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #23
SWJames

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
SWJames is a PY Poster
This just doesn't make sense. This won't be money well spent for FlipTop no matter how you look at it.
SWJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
Dunk

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Dunk is a PY Poster
okwerdz vs protege

that being said... flying americans out makes as much financial sense as holding kotd events in canada. if they wanna battle there to get the flip views, make them fly out themselves, and you'll handle the local expenses.

have u ever thought this before!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedness View Post
Dont invite ill will back. He is def scared of taking a for sure L to real deal.. u r l rappers can't hang with real emcees.
Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #25
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Yea, kinda like the two posts above me say, I really don't see the upside for fliptop, or any of their local fans, in flying entitled North Americans over. Definitely wouldn't do it for any battlers listed in this thread who use racial angles but will be super quick to kiss ur ass for a free vacation and a million views. But hey, it's ur money to burn.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #26
Jimbo Slice
I'm The One Who Knocks

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Jimbo Slice is not the worst person
Daylyt

Put him against someone who doesnt speak English. "What I gotta put it in subsitles or something?" and he could have his twerking bitch hold an ipad with Phillipino translations and literally put it in subtitles.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
SWJames

SWJames is a PY Poster
The million view thing isn't even guaranteed. That usually only happens depending on what actually happened in the battle. Just check Charron vs Zaito then compare it with Charron vs Skarm, 1.8 million and 180k views respectively.

Daylyt though would be another story and I bet he'd fly himself out for this shit. His type would go viral in the Philippines.
SWJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #28
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
I'd be down, of course you're gonna get higher profile battlers....just putting it out there
This would be good as Shockz is already known there because of his battle with Anygma.
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #29
Kiewra

Kiewra is a PY Poster
Lol at Okwerdz acting if anyone would care if he would come back. What's gay is he would be doing strictly cuz he knows the battle would get a million views. Dude is obsessed with views
Kiewra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #30
Okwerdz
We Have A The Saurus

actually i think alot of people on this thread alone said theyd like to see me come back, thats not even counting the thousands of requests i receive constantly whether in person or online. im sorry ur life sucks so bad that the only thing u had to add to this whole conversation was somethin negative about me. it sucks that u can not like a rap battle so much that u get fixated on hating a person uv never even met, this shit is not to be taken so seriously just enjoy urself and the free entertainment man.

like someone else said its not garenteed to get a million views, if anything an american will take AWAY from that battling out there cuz we arent as popular as their stars, i would do it for free just for the experience because its something i havent done before & sounds like fun.

abra, protege & zaito could all get it, im also a strong supporter of the loonie/the saurus joint finally happening as well!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #31
Maven

I think Arsonal would make a great fit....he has international experience and he can readjust his slang to suit the Filipino crowd.

Y'all can tell ars "dont bring that gutter American slang. Write some heavy punches and bars in accordance to the Filipino crowd, so do a little research, or consult with Swave Sevah"
Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #32
Maven

Quote:
actually i think alot of people on this thread alone said theyd like to see me come back, thats not even counting the thousands of requests i receive constantly whether in person or online. im sorry ur life sucks so bad that the only thing u had to add to this whole conversation was somethin negative about me. it sucks that u can not like a rap battle so much that u get fixated on hating a person uv never even met, this shit is not to be taken so seriously just enjoy urself and the free entertainment man.

like someone else said its not garenteed to get a million views, if anything an american will take AWAY from that battling out there cuz we arent as popular as their stars, i would do it for free just for the experience because its something i havent done before & sounds like fun.

abra, protege & zaito could all get it, im also a strong supporter of the loonie/the saurus joint finally happening as well!
You should battle Loe Pesci
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #33
Okwerdz
We Have A The Saurus

no i shouldnt
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #34
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
if i'm still welcome, i would be honored
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #35
barz2AM
NawmSayin

barz2AM is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post
Daylyt

Put him against someone who doesnt speak English. "What I gotta put it in subsitles or something?" and he could have his twerking bitch hold an ipad with Phillipino translations and literally put it in subtitles.
WORD! you're the man. hahaha nice idea
Old 02-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #36
barz2AM
NawmSayin

barz2AM is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
if i'm still welcome, i would be honored
battle Apoc or Batas.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 AM   #37
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by barz2AM View Post
battle Apoc or Batas.
its on anygma my g. i'd love to
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #38
Mistake
Shannon dougherty's nips

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Mistake is not the worst person
Okwerdz that would be sick
Mistake is offline   Reply With Quote