Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Looks like MaddIllz is selling the rights to videos to other battle rappers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #41
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan
 
Paul Robeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,072
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Paul Robeson is not the worst person
holy fuck i am so hyped for grindtime uganda
__________________
Top Ten White People: 1. Norman Bethune 2. Vladimir Lenin 3. Abraham Lincoln 4. George Carlin 5. John Brown 6. Frank Thompson 7. Lyudmila Pavlichenko 8. Anna Louise Strong 9. Woody Guthrie 10. Tadeusz Kościuszko
Paul Robeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #42
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'
 
illipsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oa
Posts: 1,804
Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Gearing up to make my GT Uganda debut!!!
__________________
I said let's keep it one hundred, cuz this pansy's threatened
This is war and peace, laurel wreaths to a panzer engine
illipsis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:27 AM   #43
JOBone
Seasoned fan
 
JOBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,599
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Madd Illz made himself look even worse with that response.

If I believe what he is saying, he is a hypocrite and an idiot for playing along and trusting a guy he had a falling out with to tell everyone Madd Illz didn't really do what it looks like he did. If I don't believe him, he's an asshole for selling someone's videos on some petty shit just for a rap battle angle and still will hold on to his lie and play victim to the bitter end.

Either way, Illz takes a big L for this one.

What a tool.
__________________
R.I.P. Robert "Pumpkinhead AKA PH" Diaz
JOBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:27 AM   #44
Emseed
Registered User
 
Emseed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emseed is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBone View Post
Madd Illz made himself look even worse with that response.

If I believe what he is saying, he is a hypocrite and an idiot for playing along and trusting a guy he had a falling out with to tell everyone Madd Illz didn't really do what it looks like he did. If I don't believe him, he's an asshole for selling someone's videos on some petty shit just for a rap battle angle and still will hold on to his lie and play victim to the bitter end.

Either way, Illz takes a big L for this one.

What a tool.
Idk man this could all just be a publicity stunt to remind people grindtime even exists. This is the first news I've heard in at least a year that had anything to do with grind time.
__________________
Spiced
Emseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #45
MrMumbles905
Repping East905
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
This site funny no hate on the dude with the antic but yall will crucify Madd Illz

Yall will really find a reason to hate on him
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #46
The Wrist
my first name is The
 
The Wrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edison,NJ
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i actually find that an amusing antic or whatever....i mean what's getcha's catalog possibly cost? 25 dollars? 30? no way its more than 30. worthy investment
__________________
newish music (this probably isn't newish at all anymore but whatever) ----> here

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #47
JustJ123
Registered User
 
JustJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,011
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
This site funny no hate on the dude with the antic but yall will crucify Madd Illz

Yall will really find a reason to hate on him
I mean, the antic entirely relies on Madd Illz.

Someone coming up with a stupid idea is one thing, someone else being the sole reason that antic is even possible, and makes it happen due to getting paid? He def comes off looking worse here.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/gj02Ups.jpg
Fucking herbivore you're nerd for sure
JustJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #48
@VapeHop
Yaki Yaki Yaki
 
@VapeHop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,190
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE
@VapeHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #49
MrFujiwara
VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
MrFujiwara is not the worst person
MrFujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #50
baldjewishman
Jewish Dilemma = Free Ham
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,267
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
baldjewishman is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by @VapeHop View Post
What in the actual fuck?
__________________
The Descent Into Hell is Always Gradual
baldjewishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #51
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
love how illz ended his post with "we don't need none of your drama articles," tagged chris in it, and still managed to have a screenshot of his post featured in a dramatic article.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #52
MrMumbles905
Repping East905
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJ123 View Post
I mean, the antic entirely relies on Madd Illz.

Someone coming up with a stupid idea is one thing, someone else being the sole reason that antic is even possible, and makes it happen due to getting paid? He def comes off looking worse here.
Yeah but if both the dudes in the battle come in with the idea. I can see how Madd Illz could be convinced into doing it to create hype. I just see a pattern on this site anytime anything goes bad involving Mad Illz yall ignore everyone else involved and only hate on Illz
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #53
MrMumbles905
Repping East905
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by @VapeHop View Post
if this is what you picture when you hear Uganda battle league you a racist
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #54
JOBone
Seasoned fan
 
JOBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,599
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emseed View Post
Idk man this could all just be a publicity stunt to remind people grindtime even exists. This is the first news I've heard in at least a year that had anything to do with grind time.
Madd Illz finally embracing the heel role?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @VapeHop View Post
Why is Illz looking so serious?

Kind of exemplifies how out of touch he is.
__________________
R.I.P. Robert "Pumpkinhead AKA PH" Diaz
JOBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #55
@VapeHop
Yaki Yaki Yaki
 
@VapeHop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,190
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
if this is what you picture when you hear Uganda battle league you a racist

@VapeHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:00 AM   #56
Gopher D'Gusto
Registered User
 
Gopher D'Gusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: VA raised, DC livin
Posts: 4,466
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Gopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Illz is a scumbag piece of shit. What else is new?
Gopher D'Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:08 AM   #57
god level
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
The repetition of that picture is fucking gold.

Mad Illz must be some Native American type blood reclaiming American lands with his ruthless evil thoughts. GT didn't have to cause the fire that's set upon the battle rap community
god level is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #58
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9
 
ErikForeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5,498
Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This is super embarrassing
__________________
MMXVII - CB - Twitter - Facebook
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #59
Schwarzer_Negger
Registered User
 
Schwarzer_Negger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
Where does Uganda youth league ranking in the realm of Madd Illz ridiculous ideas?

Air Balloon battle
Augmented Reality Lecture
Grindtime Production Company
Schwarzer_Negger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #60
CBA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,272
Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
Grind Time: Uganda.... wow, just wow. On the flip side this could be a very worthwhile move with actually getting some of the battles taken down. Would anyone else be interested in paying so they remove Joe Cutter from the channel?
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #61
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,478
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Mad illz legit WOAT
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #62
versesmc
Battle Rap App
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
The real irony is that people are hating on Illz over what appears to be a joke, while everyone seems to be perfectly cool with whoever sold/gave all the unbranded West coast GTN footage to FilmOn to stream (https://www.filmon.com/tv/battle-rap). I'd imagine only a select few people could even have that footage to provide FilmOn. Since FilmOn has the unbranded footage, they could probably take down all the same branded battles on the GTN channel claiming they own the copyrights if they wanted.

That's a real legitimate story that you would think journalists from battlerap.com would want to cover or unfold cause all the MCs involved are still being exploited by FilmOn to this day. Someone got paid for that footage and it wasn't Illz. FilmOn making money off it through advertising and none of the MCs are seeing any royalties or money for the use of their images, branding, likeness, etc. I thought GTN rarely did any paperwork, but you would think all these heads signed some bunk agreements with GTN for FilmOn to be exploiting their asses and nobody suing them or they just don't know they being exploited.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 AM   #63
AVOCADO
VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,826
Mentioned: 1181 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
The real irony is that people are hating on Illz over what appears to be a joke, while everyone seems to be perfectly cool with whoever sold/gave all the unbranded West coast GTN footage to FilmOn to stream (https://www.filmon.com/tv/battle-rap). I'd imagine only a select few people could even have that footage to provide FilmOn. Since FilmOn has the unbranded footage, they could probably take down all the same branded battles on the GTN channel claiming they own the copyrights if they wanted.

That's a real legitimate story that you would think journalists from battlerap.com would want to cover or unfold cause all the MCs involved are still being exploited by FilmOn to this day. Someone got paid for that footage and it wasn't Illz. FilmOn making money off it through advertising and none of the MCs are seeing any royalties or money for the use of their images, branding, likeness, etc. I thought GTN rarely did any paperwork, but you would think all these heads signed some bunk agreements with GTN for FilmOn to be exploiting their asses and nobody suing them or they just don't know they being exploited.
well to close up your case detective. I sold the footage to filmon of botb2 and mob to filmon, NOT THE RIGHTS. I would still post up all that footage to my own channel and sell it if I wanted to.

This was long before I was aware of how shady of a corporation they were and if i could take it back I would but it is what it is.

On top of this I don't really see your point in this. If anything distributing the footage to another avenue opens up exposure to the rappers, not like any rappers are seeing any royalty checks from kotd, url, df or any other battle league period.

There's a stark and enormous difference in taking down someone's footage as a "joke" cause you hate them and distributing footage you own and shot to more avenues.

Last edited by AVOCADO; 12-23-2015 at 01:32 AM.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:33 AM   #64
JustJ123
Registered User
 
JustJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,011
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Would any of the MCs have seen any of that regardless?

They already got paid for the battle. What else is the footage there for besides exposure? Its not like Ganik or Smack are paying battle rappers money they make after the fact.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/gj02Ups.jpg
Fucking herbivore you're nerd for sure
JustJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #65
AVOCADO
VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,826
Mentioned: 1181 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJ123 View Post
Would any of the MCs have seen any of that regardless?

They already got paid for the battle. What else is the footage there for besides exposure? Its not like Ganik or Smack are paying battle rappers money they make after the fact.
nope. They do not.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #66
versesmc
Battle Rap App
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
not like any rappers are seeing any royalty checks from kotd, url, df or any other battle league period.
Not true. I know the majority of all of MC War's performances are published with BMI or ASCAP so some are getting publishing royalties for their performances. Granted they are different cause they release as tracks too. I know Hoffa's shit with them is published. If artists don't publish their work and don't work it into their contracts, then that's their loss and a reason to charge more.

For me it's about work ethic. I've worked in the software industry for awhile. I don't know too many people who would do work for a company whether as an official employee or just contract/work for hire who would then take that work or any portions of it and sell it to another company years later for their own profit, even without a contract. I get your whole "it brings exposure, blah blah blah", but it really doesn't. Hardly anyone is probably watching that on FilmOn. You're just robbing the people you did the work for originally of their intellectual property, made money off the people you taped, and legally you probably had no right to even sell it unless you personally had release agreements with everyone on cam and clearances or licenses from the people who paid you, the venues, etc for the production and performances to even happen. I'd imagine if there were any agreements with MCs, they'd be with the league, but that's neither here nor there. If you were paid to shoot, you have little argument. You can own the copyright, sure, but that typically doesn't allow you to commercially exploit the work unless licensed to do so.

If what you did was ethical and morally accepted in the real world, it would be 100% legal to shoot video of whatever battle, concert, show, etc, as a bootlegger, not paid, no contract, just as long as you crafty enough to record, and then sell it for profit. It's not. Bootlegger would own copyright, but doesn't have the rights or clearances to sell commercially. I don't see how you think it's right. In reality, if you shot video for them on a regular basis, were paid regularly, and they controlled deadlines, end product, etc. you'd most likely even be considered a common law employee where no contract is necessary and they own the copyright. I don't personally know you or the relationships you had, but if someone wanted to fight it, it seems like they'd have a decent chance at winning legally. I doubt anyone would try though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
There's a stark and enormous difference in taking down someone's footage as a "joke" cause you hate them and distributing footage you own and shot to more avenues.
Nah, cause it doesn't seem like you covered everything to legally sell. I also don't see it any different than all the other "antics" everyone else does to try and get views. No morals for views vs no morals for money. Pretty equal.

Salute though, you put in work. I won't deny that. I just don't agree with your actions and would imagine that anyone else who would consider working with you would be concerned about you selling their footage too. Do you have proper agreements with everyone else and just did it cause you hate Illz? lol...serious though.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:35 AM   #67
SpecialOh
 
SpecialOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,853
Mentioned: 1156 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
well to close up your case detective. I sold the footage to filmon of botb2 and mob to filmon, NOT THE RIGHTS. I would still post up all that footage to my own channel and sell it if I wanted to.

This was long before I was aware of how shady of a corporation they were and if i could take it back I would but it is what it is.

On top of this I don't really see your point in this. If anything distributing the footage to another avenue opens up exposure to the rappers, not like any rappers are seeing any royalty checks from kotd, url, df or any other battle league period.

There's a stark and enormous difference in taking down someone's footage as a "joke" cause you hate them and distributing footage you own and shot to more avenues.

U place too much blame on alki lmao...
Its the ppl who did business with him who were deceitful...not him. ....
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #68
SpecialOh
 
SpecialOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,853
Mentioned: 1156 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
@versemc ur irrelevant opinion is flawed like a mofo"
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #69
AVOCADO
VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,826
Mentioned: 1181 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
Not true. I know the majority of all of MC War's performances are published with BMI or ASCAP so some are getting publishing royalties for their performances. Granted they are different cause they release as tracks too. I know Hoffa's shit with them is published. If artists don't publish their work and don't work it into their contracts, then that's their loss and a reason to charge more.
I have no idea what MC war does, nor were you OR I even talking about them in the first place. this is about, like you said, the "grind time west coast" footage on filmon so lets stay on the subject.

NO the artists don't get royalties from grind time's views. So let's move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
For me it's about work ethic. I've worked in the software industry for awhile. I don't know too many people who would do work for a company whether as an official employee or just contract/work for hire who would then take that work or any portions of it and sell it to another company years later for their own profit, even without a contract.
Well here's the difference. If you're working for a software company, you are most likely earning a paycheck correct?

Well imagine this. You work for this "company" that doesn't pay you for your work, you sign no contract so you legally aren't an employee nor is the software you create under their ownership, you create that software using 100% your own equipment

See how this sort of differs from your example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
I get your whole "it brings exposure, blah blah blah", but it really doesn't. Hardly anyone is probably watching that on FilmOn. You're just robbing the people you did the work for originally of their intellectual property, made money off the people you taped, and legally you probably had no right to even sell it unless you personally had release agreements with everyone on cam and clearances or licenses from the people who paid you, the venues, etc for the production and performances to even happen.
I'm not "robbing" anyone of anything. Period. I wasn't paid for the work I did for in the first place nor is the content I created their intellectual property. You are right about the legality of it to a degree but there are enormous loopholes in that regard so that wouldn't really stand too much, that whole "release form" thing is bent so much in the entertainment industry and 99% of the time in the "battle industry"


Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
I'd imagine if there were any agreements with MCs, they'd be with the league, but that's neither here nor there. If you were paid to shoot, you have little argument.
Wasn't paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
If what you did was ethical and morally accepted in the real world, it would be 100% legal to shoot video of whatever battle, concert, show, etc, as a bootlegger, not paid, no contract, just as long as you crafty enough to record, and then sell it for profit. It's not. Bootlegger would own copyright, but doesn't have the rights or clearances to sell commercially.
There's a difference between the person who basically created the content and selling it than someone just going to a concert and filming it. Again you're using pretty crazy comparisons with me filming events for free, editing them and using 100% of my own equipment with no compensation from grind time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
I don't see how you think it's right. In reality, if you shot video for them on a regular basis, were paid regularly, and they controlled deadlines, end product, etc. you'd most likely even be considered a common law employee where no contract is necessary and they own the copyright. I don't personally know you or the relationships you had, but if someone wanted to fight it, it seems like they'd have a decent chance at winning legally. I doubt anyone would try though.
Word. Too bad....that's not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
Nah, cause it doesn't seem like you covered everything to legally sell. I also don't see it any different than all the other "antics" everyone else does to try and get views. No morals for views vs no morals for money. Pretty equal.
You don't see a difference in me lets say selling some footage (2 events out of how many i've filmed lol) to pay for more events as opposed to antics to get views......alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
Salute though, you put in work. I won't deny that. I just don't agree with your actions and would imagine that anyone else who would consider working with you would be concerned about you selling their footage too. Do you have proper agreements with everyone else and just did it cause you hate Illz? lol...serious though.
Thanks...I guess. I feel this weird backhanded compliment from that but thats cool I've seen you running around trying to stir up this story on multiple avenues and thats cool. I hope this cleared up some of your issues and you can sleep at night.

And I actually do not hate Illz at all. Hate is a strong word and I don't hate a lot of people, I disagree with taking down a rappers battles that he probably put a shit ton of time into and paid for travel and hotels out of his own pocket for exposure as a joke for sure. That doesn't make me hate Illz as a human being at all tho.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #70
Nick Vayne
Battle Rapper
 
Nick Vayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,777
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Nick Vayne has seen da-feet
Why am I just reading this now.. this is hilarious


Edit: talking bout the article of course, not the 7 pages of drama

Last edited by Nick Vayne; 12-23-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Nick Vayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #71
versesmc
Battle Rap App
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
NO the artists don't get royalties from grind time's views. So let's move on
Never said they did from GT. You said no leagues pay anyone royalties period and I was just clarifying that some have actual publishing with BMI and ASCAP. My concern was FilmOn and you not having the permission or rights to profit off the MCs involved in the videos you sold them. They basically built and launched their entire "battle rap venture" by using the likeness of others who never agreed to it and were never paid. You don't see how that's wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
I'm not "robbing" anyone of anything. Period. I wasn't paid for the work I did for in the first place....whole "release form" thing is bent so much in the entertainment industry and 99% of the time in the "battle industry"
You are basically agreeing that you have no release forms with the MCs to commercially profit. That's robbery at it's finest. That's like running a recording studio, not charging to record, and then selling the recordings years later to a label for profit. But hey, it was dope music and just giving exposure, right? With live performances you don't know if anyone performing could have recorded their work in tangible form already and you'd then be infringing their copyright. You don't necessarily have the rights to the words, images, brands, etc. that you recorded. Without releases or agreements, you are risking personality and publicity rights issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
There's a difference between the person who basically created the content and selling it than someone just going to a concert and filming it.
What content did you create with the footage you sold other than just filming it? Obviously you did the editing for GT, but you sold FilmOn what looks like raw footage. You ghostwrite for all the MCs lol? You get clearances for those GT logo shirts lol? I still see no difference than just being a bootlegger or random guy taping an entire live performance, editing, and later selling for profit. I used to be big into tape trading. Money was never exchanged. It wasn't about just going to a concert and filming or recording audio. It was about getting the best quality possible with the best equipment possible cause tapes degrade. Guys crafty enough could get soundboard recordings. Like you, they wouldn't be paid or under any contract or agreement, they wouldn't have the release agreements or licenses to commercially profit, and may also be violating performer's own copyrights. Anti-Bootlegging provisions made it entirely illegal to record live musical performances without permission. If you were actually booking the battles, paying the MCs, renting the venue, doing the contracts, etc., then sure, you helped more in creating the production and content, rather than just filming an event that was happening regardless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
Well imagine this. You work for this "company" that doesn't pay you for your work, you sign no contract so you legally aren't an employee nor is the software you create under their ownership, you create that software using 100% your own equipment
I'm fully aware if you're an independent contractor that they wouldn't own any IP unless there was a written agreement. There are still ethics involved and limitations to what you would be able to do with the content, regardless if you were paid or not and with or without an agreement. That's all I'm saying. I've done contract work for people who didn't pay. I didn't turn around and sell their shit to someone else. It's unethical. With video you can't legally commercially profit without release forms, licensing, etc. Similar to sampling. Even if you say it's not followed by most, you're opening up yourself to potential legal issues without doing release forms and clearances if you're profiting. Just like you sold to FilmOn for having no agreement and not being paid by GT, the artists can all turn around and easily sue you and all involved for illegally profiting off their names and performances without their permission, lack of agreements, and not being paid. I doubt anyone would spend the time and money to do it, but it seems like an easy win and pay day especially if getting a good lawyer that tied it into whatever Ether generated (supposedly recording breaking according to FilmOn lol). The launch of the footage you sold and their battle rap channel was the start and launch of the FCMG brand and Ether was promoted through it. FilmOn basically used the footage you sold them to start and bring legitmacy to a new brand that didn't exist prior. Also damages and steals views and revenue from GT's original releases.

Regarding employment, there are a bunch of different factors the IRS uses to determine whether you're an employee or an independent contractor. Even if using all your own equipment, they can still determine you as an employee. I've gone through it with a company that tried to claim me as a contractor to get out of paying taxes. Took several years for the IRS to give a final determination and they ruled I was an employee and company paid fines. I used my own equipment and had no employee agreement. They controlled my assignments, hours, and work place. You probably wouldn't be determined as one if you filled out an SS-8, but it would really depend on how much control GT had over the work you performed. Every situation is different.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
I've seen you running around trying to stir up this story on multiple avenues and thats cool. I hope this cleared up some of your issues and you can sleep at night.
Lol...I just wanted to know how and why it happened cause nobody would reveal and FilmOn came out of nowhere with releasing those old battles. Illz said Lush hit him pretending like he wanted GT to be a part of the channel, never agreed, and you guys sold anyway. I'm interested in the legal side cause I've invested a lot of my own money into events and sponsorships over the years and it seems like a lot of people in the battle rap industry follow no legal standards and do weird shit like this frequently. It's good for others to know that things like this happen so they don't get burned. It's a large reason why many aren't willing to invest because the people you're giving money to may have no ethics or morals, even with their so called friends. No diss to you or anyone specifically. Just speaking from personal experience and things I've witnessed. I never had problems in hip hop working with heads on verbal agreements alone until I got into battle rap where they basically mean nothing. Sure you've been there.

I feel for you if you weren't originally paid for the footage you later sold to FilmOn, but it's still not right or even legal to exploit all the MCs involved just so you and FilmOn can profit. It'd be different if everyone agreed to their shit being on FilmOn and knew FilmOn was making money off them and all were compensated. I'm sure many aren't even aware still cause I know Sara Kana, Pen, and other east coast heads were asking about it like a year after it happened like they just found out. If none of the MCs involved care, so be it.

Were you supposed to be paid for the events and never paid, or did you just do all this shit for free without agreement knowing you'd own it all? What made you decide to sell the footage to begin with? Was it a good price? Was it redemption for not being paid? Do you still operate the same way with no agreements and releases and are you open to selling more unbranded footage for the right price with an indemnification agreement?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and answering.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #72
AVOCADO
VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,826
Mentioned: 1181 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
man i was going to respond to all this, but lets just agree to disagree. I told you what happened which is what you wanted and you don't agree with that.

But know that anyones footage that is up on filmon from two events has my number and can contact me and has never expressed any dissatisfaction over it, in fact the only person that's ever done that is you. Nobody feel's exploited that's involved.

So I'm sorry you don't agree with the moral value in that particular action.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #73
Nick H.
on her mind, in her mouth
 
Nick H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Palm5
Posts: 2,847
Mentioned: 471 Post(s)
Nick H. is better than Grind Time AustraliaNick H. is better than Grind Time Australia
Send a message via AIM to Nick H.
Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
Never said they did from GT. You said no leagues pay anyone royalties period and I was just clarifying that some have actual publishing with BMI and ASCAP. My concern was FilmOn and you not having the permission or rights to profit off the MCs involved in the videos you sold them. They basically built and launched their entire "battle rap venture" by using the likeness of others who never agreed to it and were never paid. You don't see how that's wrong?


You are basically agreeing that you have no release forms with the MCs to commercially profit. That's robbery at it's finest. That's like running a recording studio, not charging to record, and then selling the recordings years later to a label for profit. But hey, it was dope music and just giving exposure, right? With live performances you don't know if anyone performing could have recorded their work in tangible form already and you'd then be infringing their copyright. You don't necessarily have the rights to the words, images, brands, etc. that you recorded. Without releases or agreements, you are risking personality and publicity rights issues too.


What content did you create with the footage you sold other than just filming it? Obviously you did the editing for GT, but you sold FilmOn what looks like raw footage. You ghostwrite for all the MCs lol? You get clearances for those GT logo shirts lol? I still see no difference than just being a bootlegger or random guy taping an entire live performance, editing, and later selling for profit. I used to be big into tape trading. Money was never exchanged. It wasn't about just going to a concert and filming or recording audio. It was about getting the best quality possible with the best equipment possible cause tapes degrade. Guys crafty enough could get soundboard recordings. Like you, they wouldn't be paid or under any contract or agreement, they wouldn't have the release agreements or licenses to commercially profit, and may also be violating performer's own copyrights. Anti-Bootlegging provisions made it entirely illegal to record live musical performances without permission. If you were actually booking the battles, paying the MCs, renting the venue, doing the contracts, etc., then sure, you helped more in creating the production and content, rather than just filming an event that was happening regardless.



I'm fully aware if you're an independent contractor that they wouldn't own any IP unless there was a written agreement. There are still ethics involved and limitations to what you would be able to do with the content, regardless if you were paid or not and with or without an agreement. That's all I'm saying. I've done contract work for people who didn't pay. I didn't turn around and sell their shit to someone else. It's unethical. With video you can't legally commercially profit without release forms, licensing, etc. Similar to sampling. Even if you say it's not followed by most, you're opening up yourself to potential legal issues without doing release forms and clearances if you're profiting. Just like you sold to FilmOn for having no agreement and not being paid by GT, the artists can all turn around and easily sue you and all involved for illegally profiting off their names and performances without their permission, lack of agreements, and not being paid. I doubt anyone would spend the time and money to do it, but it seems like an easy win and pay day especially if getting a good lawyer that tied it into whatever Ether generated (supposedly recording breaking according to FilmOn lol). The launch of the footage you sold and their battle rap channel was the start and launch of the FCMG brand and Ether was promoted through it. FilmOn basically used the footage you sold them to start and bring legitmacy to a new brand that didn't exist prior. Also damages and steals views and revenue from GT's original releases.

Regarding employment, there are a bunch of different factors the IRS uses to determine whether you're an employee or an independent contractor. Even if using all your own equipment, they can still determine you as an employee. I've gone through it with a company that tried to claim me as a contractor to get out of paying taxes. Took several years for the IRS to give a final determination and they ruled I was an employee and company paid fines. I used my own equipment and had no employee agreement. They controlled my assignments, hours, and work place. You probably wouldn't be determined as one if you filled out an SS-8, but it would really depend on how much control GT had over the work you performed. Every situation is different.



Lol...I just wanted to know how and why it happened cause nobody would reveal and FilmOn came out of nowhere with releasing those old battles. Illz said Lush hit him pretending like he wanted GT to be a part of the channel, never agreed, and you guys sold anyway. I'm interested in the legal side cause I've invested a lot of my own money into events and sponsorships over the years and it seems like a lot of people in the battle rap industry follow no legal standards and do weird shit like this frequently. It's good for others to know that things like this happen so they don't get burned. It's a large reason why many aren't willing to invest because the people you're giving money to may have no ethics or morals, even with their so called friends. No diss to you or anyone specifically. Just speaking from personal experience and things I've witnessed. I never had problems in hip hop working with heads on verbal agreements alone until I got into battle rap where they basically mean nothing. Sure you've been there.

I feel for you if you weren't originally paid for the footage you later sold to FilmOn, but it's still not right or even legal to exploit all the MCs involved just so you and FilmOn can profit. It'd be different if everyone agreed to their shit being on FilmOn and knew FilmOn was making money off them and all were compensated. I'm sure many aren't even aware still cause I know Sara Kana, Pen, and other east coast heads were asking about it like a year after it happened like they just found out. If none of the MCs involved care, so be it.

Were you supposed to be paid for the events and never paid, or did you just do all this shit for free without agreement knowing you'd own it all? What made you decide to sell the footage to begin with? Was it a good price? Was it redemption for not being paid? Do you still operate the same way with no agreements and releases and are you open to selling more unbranded footage for the right price with an indemnification agreement?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and answering.

Breh..

Freal?
__________________
Computers putin
Nick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:21 AM   #74
versesmc
Battle Rap App
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H. View Post
Breh..

Freal?
Lol...yeah. This ain't Nas just to clarify. Happy Holidays if you celebrate. I'll agree to disagree after this last rant cause I'm really just looking out for battle rap as a whole, the MCs and people behind leagues. I know I can type long ass paragraphs and come off as a dick, but I guess that's just how I type.

I used to lurk on RM under a dif name and speaking from history. It's ironic to me people mad about Illz putting content on private when the MCs both supposedly knew but it's fine Avocado actually sold footage he doesn't own the rights to for his own profit and all the MCs prob don't know. Y'all used to tell people to flag shit to get it removed from GT's channel cause Illz didn't own any of it. Now the reality is that most the shit out there is probably being illegally monetized cause hardly anyone in battle rap does standard agreements.

The MCs are largely responsible for creating the content. Without agreements they can all claim they built your companies and demand cuts of everything their content generated just like ya'll supposedly tried when you left GT. Without agreements, MCs could even file DMCA complaints and have the content removed. Would be silly unless they got bodied, but they can. Just basic copyright. They own the rights to their lyrics the moment they wrote them. Just cause you video tape it later or pay them don't mean you now own it and can do what you please. Without an agreement granting you those rights, you just shot footage you legally can't do shit with. FilmOn just stupid enough to buy it or they got Avo to sign something that leaves all potential damages on him.

It's your guys biz and you can do what you want. Trying to offer some advice and just surprised you put yourselves in jeopardy with no agreements and don't think it's wrong to monetize and sell content you don't legally have the rights to. Most of your issues over the years seem to stem from lack of agreements. Agreements are solely to prevent fuck shit from happening.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #75
Nick H.
on her mind, in her mouth
 
Nick H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Palm5
Posts: 2,847
Mentioned: 471 Post(s)
Nick H. is better than Grind Time AustraliaNick H. is better than Grind Time Australia
Send a message via AIM to Nick H.
But Avo owns the footage..
__________________
Computers putin
Nick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mad illz=33 degree mason


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Forum Stats
Members: 5,536
Threads: 26,992
Posts: 731,403
Total Online: 1983

Newest Member: Sawyer20

Latest Threads
- by erfworm
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by Baron X
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by Chk82



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 AM.