Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
LUSH ONE new RAPGRID interview.. the most honest breakdown of FILMON debacle

Old 05-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #41
versesmc
Battle Rap App

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
versesmc is not the worst person
So the network deal was basically selling all the old GTN footage to them? You only got a $35k salary for that, nothing, or even more on top? No diss, just genuinely curious. I had this early timeline:

06/17/2014 - Fresh Coast Media Group, LLC registered as a business entity in California

07/30/2014 - FilmOn partnership announced with FCMG and GTN footage released on FilmOn's web site
http://battlerap.com/news/2014/07/26...ship-filmon-tv

08/18/2014 - FilmOn releases official press release announcing Fresh Coast channel and Ether PPV event.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...st-1939049.htm

08/21/2014 - Lush says he signed a network deal with FilmOn to have his own channel. Says KOTD is part owner of Fresh Coast Media Group and that Grind Time has the opportunity to do really cool shit...if Madd Illz was willing. (This was weeks after FilmOn acquired and already streaming/monetizing GTN footage). Other Ether videos say the owners of FCMG are Lush, G Money, and Kusheim, the same cat who supposedly finessed him into the deal from the start.
http://battlerap.com/news/2014/08/31...era-battle-rap
http://battlerap.com/news/2014/08/31...uture-king-dot

09/05/2014 - J Pro posts blog on rapgrid.com discussing plan with FilmOn stating FilmOn will be promoted on KOTD's channel and KOTD West Coast battles will be released onto FilmOn's PPV platform before releasing on KOTD's YouTube.
http://www.rapgrid.com/fresh-coast-x...s-really-going

KOTD and Organik seemed to have axed that though.

02/23/2015 - PH makes this tweet about FilmOn streaming GTN battles. Lush says he don't know why, but will find out.

Salute on being a crazy risk taker and making shit happen. I thought it was a bad idea from the start though. Just look at them suing Chief Keef for a million now. The agreement listed Fresh Coast Media Group as the liaison and essentially managing him for FilmOn, getting 10% royalties in exchange, but they suing his other managers. This agreement was 6 months after Ether too (signed May 1, 2015).
https://hiphopsrevival.files.wordpre...-complaint.pdf

The interview was really just a repeat of what was said with the Serius Jones beef. Doesn't make much sense to do biz with someone who burned you so bad 6 months after they burned you. Some kind of secrecy with them getting GTN footage cause it cut Madd Illz and everyone in the battles out of the equation.

Will an interview ever happen that actually discusses how they acquired GTN footage? Looking at the timeline that is what seems to have made Ether even happen. That's more interesting than hearing the same thing about Alki not paying or allocating fundsor how his wife's a dyke. If you never gave them GTN footage, would they have still made a deal with you? Was giving them GTN footage just a backup plan cause KOTD didn't want to do the deal? Seems like them acquiring the footage was the basis of the network deal and then everything moved forward after.
versesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #42
Nick H.
on her mind, in her mouth

Mentioned: 471 Post(s)
Nick H. is better than Grind Time AustraliaNick H. is better than Grind Time Australia
Send a message via AIM to Nick H.
Well we (Avo & myself) financed, look losses on, shot, edited, & developed that content ourselves. We were the main reason GT took off and everyone left because they didn't wanna work with illz. Like, literally everyone from DRECT, to Kap, to Pen, myself, and the rest.

No one really came up off of that.. If anything Illz is STILL caking on YouTube off the merit of OUR content.. But it's all good, no one really that interested besides you Mayen lol
Old 05-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #43
Nick H.

Nick H. is better than Grind Time AustraliaNick H. is better than Grind Time Australia
Keef ain't being sued anymore, he's doing fine too
Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #44
versesmc
Battle Rap App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H. View Post
But it's all good, no one really that interested besides you Mayen lol
PH was and you gave him the run around a good 7-8 months from the time they were streaming. Doing that to one of the realest heads in the game for your own benefit said a lot to me. No offense at all. I know it's a touchy subject and I ain't just bringing it up to be a dick cause I hit him up on it while he was still alive. I just always thought it was weird from the time it happened. Why contact Illz to be involved and then sell anyway when he didn't agree and then still act like he could be a part of it in interviews after the fact?

I know in the past you told heads to flag GTN battles cause they didn't own them. If you guys think you own licenses to all that content to sell it, why act like it's a secret and you don't know how FilmOn got it? FilmOn isn't going to care about streaming unlicensed content cause they already been sued for it. When I first saw this partnership announced I was hoping to see some dope shit. When I saw nothing but old GTN battles, it was a big WTF.

Ether only happening because of old GTN footage is simply amazing. Alki got finessed hard...lol. Salute! Hope you still getting royalties off him too on some double finessing. I think real journalists would ask you these tough questions if they knew, but it's not something you've ever talked about for the obvious reasons. Just my opinion. I still think you're trill and respect your work. Just don't respect the funny shit in the mix.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #45
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post
PH was and you gave him the run around a good 7-8 months from the time they were streaming. Doing that to one of the realest heads in the game for your own benefit said a lot to me. No offense at all. I know it's a touchy subject and I ain't just bringing it up to be a dick cause I hit him up on it while he was still alive. I just always thought it was weird from the time it happened. Why contact Illz to be involved and then sell anyway when he didn't agree and then still act like he could be a part of it in interviews after the fact?

I know in the past you told heads to flag GTN battles cause they didn't own them. If you guys think you own licenses to all that content to sell it, why act like it's a secret and you don't know how FilmOn got it? FilmOn isn't going to care about streaming unlicensed content cause they already been sued for it. When I first saw this partnership announced I was hoping to see some dope shit. When I saw nothing but old GTN battles, it was a big WTF.

Ether only happening because of old GTN footage is simply amazing. Alki got finessed hard...lol. Salute! Hope you still getting royalties off him too on some double finessing. I think real journalists would ask you these tough questions if they knew, but it's not something you've ever talked about for the obvious reasons. Just my opinion. I still think you're trill and respect your work. Just don't respect the funny shit in the mix.
You need to make the first battle rap investigative journalist site or blog tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #46
averagejoe

Mentioned: 1159 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league

@versesmc i agree with rogerrrr
maybe we can work together and bring wats in ur brain to a nice video concept
#getthemlukeviews

edit: fyi the video joke is directed at lush and us only
didnt wanna make it seem like i was being disrespectful to someone else

Last edited by averagejoe; 05-09-2016 at 10:07 PM.
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #47
averagejoe

averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
@Nick H. i got dirt on the gambling man n kotd if u ever want it since they always scapegoat u
Old 05-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #48
Nick H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versesmc View Post

That channel was an exciting prospect but literally no one watches that shit.. I wasn't aware it was even still up last year..

Yeah they got broadcasting rights but non-exclusive..

Who did we have to obtain the footage from? It was ours.. I told illz too I was using it.. He wasn't trippin
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #49
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
you didn't even google Alki's name before signing a huge contract with him tho?
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #50
Nick H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you didn't even google Alki's name before signing a huge contract with him tho?
i think the prospect of working with a billionaire was just too appealing so I overlooked some of his quirks at first which eventually led to me not being able to succeed in this instance
Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #51
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Yeah I wasn't eloquent at all, I'm sure your shares at 12 step meetings are far more poised and well spoken
C'mon, now. Let's leave 12-stepping out of this . I rep NA to the fullest.

I'm anonymous enough...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #52
Nick H.

Hahsha

Keep comin bak my boiiiiii !
Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #53
grandgroove

grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Hahsha

Keep comin bak my boiiiiii !
Indeed!

On the real - you looked healthy in the Rapgrid piece. Like the younger Lush from a bit back. I get that feeling. Smoking out ain't nothing. You can keep the rest at bay, you'll be alright.

Be good!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #54
Nick H.

One hunnid good looks playa
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #55
versesmc
Battle Rap App

Quote:
I wasn't aware it was even still up last year..

Yeah they got broadcasting rights but non-exclusive..

Who did we have to obtain the footage from? It was ours..
It's been streaming 24/7 since you gave it to them...lol It's not just on their site, it's on their over-the-air TV channel and app and they make money off ads. In order to even assign them broadcasting rights or sell it, you'd need to have consent/release forms or agreements with every MC or whoever is in the footage granting you those rights. If agreements were done under GTN, they'd have to sub-license or transfer those rights to you, if they even had those rights. If they weren't done at all originally, you could have obtained releases from MCs directly, but they'd probably want to be compensated to do that. Without agreements, you just own footage you can't legally commercialize or sub-license.

Just cause you shoot or edit footage doesn't mean you have the rights to make money off it. You wouldn't have the rights to any of the MCs likeness, lyrics, performance, or anything else without an agreement releasing those rights. Basic copyright law. Any legit broadcaster or company looking to buy footage will make you show documentation that you have all the releases and own all the rights to everything, even location releases unless shot in a public area.

You finessed them into paying for content you didn't own the full rights or licensing to and got them to fund a major event based on it. I guess you made out, but unless they are really dumb, they most likely had you sign something with an indemnification clause that leaves any damages on you. If you claim you don't know they still streaming, I'm sure there are heads that don't know their shit was even sold.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:49 AM   #56
Nick H.

All artists in GT signed consent forms, they in avocado's trapper keeper..

That content was not the basis of getting that budget allocated tho..

No one really cares anyway and FilmOn doesn't generate that much ad revenue.. Even on their cable network (which is only available via dish network aka an archaic system no one really uses lol)
Old 05-10-2016, 02:53 AM   #57
Metazone
(⌐■_■)=/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Metazone is better than Grind Time AustraliaMetazone is better than Grind Time Australia
Your dog looks nice, hey I am trying to reach here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
I was hungry after the event and had no idea where to go for food and strongly considered just following big t knowing he would lead me to the promised land
Metazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 AM   #58
Nick H.

pull up and post up in a beach chair
Old 05-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #59
grandgroove

TBH, I wish we could get a dog about that size. Unfortunately, the neighbors on both sides either have a couple of recent rescues, or the other neighbor is too cheap to have their retriever spayed. Maybe at the next spot...

Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #60
Nick H.

Chihuahua mixes are my favorite dogs.. Chloe suuuuper fat tho lol
Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #61
grandgroove

Quote:
Chihuahua mixes are my favorite dogs.. Chloe suuuuper fat tho lol
Haha, you're gonna get that with that breed. She looks happy as hell. Mission accomplished!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:51 AM   #62
Absyrd
Contributor

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Absyrd is a PY Poster
damn lush once has a dog that looked like a wookie
Absyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #63
Nick H.

Sparkle just turned 8, but lives in The bay with my ex lol.. Ima visit the dog soon
Old 05-11-2016, 02:06 AM   #64
averagejoe

@Nick H. all done ur comeback, just workin on lil entry scene to make ur ressurection makes sense

ur about to see why u come to me when u wanna get sumthin out
not this johnjohn supportin/lame titling rapgriders
Old 05-11-2016, 02:07 AM   #65
Nick H.

Hahaha

Speeeessssshhhhh !

Tags
getthemlukeviews