Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
WD/Blackout: Are they necessary?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
ThisIsBattleRap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThisIsBattleRap is not the worst person
WD/Blackout: Are they necessary?

IMO Big cards are too expensive & create unnecessary expectation. Then when the event comes around, because the card is so big there will be more filler battles then battles that make sense. Which often results in poorer battles. Also, Big Events = More battlers. More battlers = Bigger expense. Bigger expense = less profits.

My suggestion is this:

- 12 events per year, 1 event each month.
- 4 battles per event. Two headliners, two great undercards.
- Have a 5th battle booked, on standby. If there's a noshow/cancelled battle, this 5th battle can take it's place. If there are zero no-show's, the 5th battle goes down at the next event as one of the 4 main battles. No need to advertise this battle, so if there is a cancellation KOTD can surprise fans with this dope match up.
- 12 Events per year: Four in LA, Four in Boston, Four in Toronto. Build each scene up, possibly even creating organic competition between each division, like we had in Grind Time.
- Really push the best Up & Comers Madflex, Esem, Psychoses, Gjonaj. Also P-Nut, even though he's not an up & comer. Give them bigger names.
- Stop booking the dudes that aren't good enough: Lexx Luthor, Cali Smoov, Skelly, etc lol.
- Have a fixed price for each PPV.
- Get the fans on board right away. Campaign via social media & make a youtube video announcement saying how expensive big cards are to run & are no longer sustainable. Make big cards sound as bad as possible for the culture. Inform them of the new structure, make them feel apart of this new direction.

Pro's to this structure:

- Less cost per event.
- Less battles so the league doesn't oversaturate
- Hopefully less filler battles.
- Only four battles to promote, so more time can be spent hyping each battle up.
- Events can be finished in 3 hours max. No restless crowds. PPV's can run smoothly, no 45 min breaks required.
- If there's an event every month fans could buy a season ticket that gives them access to all the PPV's for the year. A season ticket could give them 12 PPVS for the price of 10, so it's more appealing to buy. Would help with budgeting for the year.

Cons to this structure:

- Big events like WD/Blackout do create a lot of hype and bring attention to the league.
- What happens to the chain? A solution could be, to have a battle for the chain at the final event of the year. Have a champion for each year, just like Scribble Jam.
- Avocado might lose money with the Bunker, if theres only 4 events there per year. Possible solution, 6 events at the bunker, 3 events in Toronto, 3 events in Boston, IDK. Then again, he's repeatedly said the Bunker is available to other battle leagues to use, so he could still cover his costs if more leagues use the Bunker.

-

Thoughts?
ThisIsBattleRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
brodeezy

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
tbh i wish battle rap was more centered around a bunch of one-off type events. one big battle, one mid tier battle, then whatever PG/bottom tier dudes to kill some time. have your big card mid summer or whatever and then stick to the same model as like.. the UFC. if you got two top tier punchliners headlining, compliment it with some mid tier/bottom tier punchers. if you got two top tier freestylers, compliment it with a freestyler-heavy undercard. etcetc

its crazy to me to have two 8 hour events in a row and expect everyone you book to deliver. there's less pressure on each battler when there's 11 other big names on the card. when so many high profile battles get booked, half of them end up being ass. like this WD, there was like.. 2 good "top tier" battles?

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
ThisIsBattleRap

ThisIsBattleRap is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeezy View Post
tbh i wish battle rap was more centered around a bunch of one-off type events. one big battle, one mid tier battle, then whatever PG/bottom tier dudes to kill some time.

its crazy to me to have two 8 hour events in a row and expect everyone you book to deliver. there's less pressure on each battler when there's 11 other big names on the card. when so many high profile battles get booked, half of them end up being ass. like this WD, there was like.. 2 good "top tier" battles?
Good points,

In my opinion I think tiers are not a good idea. Especially for a battlers brand. I mean who wants to be labelled as a GZ? Then, when their on the come up, we subconsciously as fans think 'oh he's a GZ, he's inferior to so and so'.

As for the high profile battles that end up being trash, it's a difficult issue. It's more to do with the battlers not showing up/underperforming, then the format of the card. There needs to be clauses in contracts, judges who rate performances, the higher the rating, the battler get's their money. The lower the rating, the less money they get. It needs to be zero to 100, real quick. For example, $2000 for a high rated performance or $200 for a low rated performance. Pretty sure most battlers would rather take the $2000, so would put in more effort.

Last edited by ThisIsBattleRap; 09-06-2016 at 02:55 AM.
ThisIsBattleRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 AM   #4
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
RMBVA has been killing it with posts lately that I want to completely steal
Jack Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #5
brodeezy

brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsBattleRap View Post
Good points,

In my opinion I think tiers are not a good idea. Especially for a battlers brand. I mean who wants to be labelled as a GZ? Then, when their on the come up, we subconsciously as fans think 'oh he's a GZ, he's inferior to so and so'.
in that regard i dont mean saying "OK GUYS FIRST BATTLE IS A GZ ONE" - cuz the GZ is a trash idea - i just mean having lesser names opening up the cards, just like opening acts open for bigger stage names and lower ranked ufc fighters open for the main card.

Quote:
As for the high profile battles that end up being trash, it's a difficult issue. It's more to do with the battlers not showing up/underperforming, then the format of the card. There needs to be clauses in contracts, judges who rate performances, the higher the rating, the battler get's their money. The lower the rating, the less money they get. It needs to be zero to 100, real quick. For example, $2000 for a high rated performance or $200 for a low rated performance. Pretty sure most battlers would rather take the $2000, so would put in more effort.
yeah but dont u think it makes more sense that a battler will try more if the card is centered around them showing up? when you got these guys hanging around for 9 hours before their battles - getting drunk, getting exhausted, etc only to have their performance blend in with 13 other battles.. it makes sense that some dudes would think they could get away with underperforming/not giving afuck

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:

Last edited by brodeezy; 09-06-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #6
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeezy View Post
yeah but dont u think it makes more sense that a battler will try more if the card is centered around them showing up? when you got these guys hanging around for 9 hours before their battles - getting drunk, getting exhausted, etc only to have their performance blend in with 13 other battles.. it makes sense that some dudes would think they could get away with underperforming/not giving afuck
There is some element of risk with that too. Organik was getting ragged on by fans who paid to see Saurus vs Math (Literally the only good battle on the card) and Math didn't turn up. Compare that to a bigger event and a battle as big as Pat vs. Serius doesn't happen and doesn't affect sales too much...
Michael Vick/ dogs bars
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Any reference to a movie where you state exactly what happened in that movie without changing it
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 AM   #7
Schwarzer_Negger

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
I always thought a great idea would be to do what Norbes does, do PGs but as an independent outfit. Get the best up and comers and make it a PPV Get the venue perfect, do them wherever around the country that makes sense.

Basically make people want to watch the battles because they know you curate the lineup and it's a good battle, more than people tuning in for the names. If URL does a PG event and drops a video, I'll watch despite not knowing anything about the dudes most of the time. And I'm usually pretty entertained.
Schwarzer_Negger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
Devilmatic

Devilmatic is not the worst person
SM/NOME: Are they necessary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Brigante View Post
Appreciate the concern. I didn't get raped btw lol
Devilmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1187 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
Amen bro
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Profess

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Great post.. Def less battles per event
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Battlehogg

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
4 battles is a bit light. I wouldn't be paying more than 10 bucks for a ppv like that. Id rather get 5 or 6. Cool with 2 top tier battles and the rest being good mid tier/ up and comers. What I don't want to see is trash mc's like Tax and Lexx. Ground zero is where they belong. I don't wanna pay money to see those chumps. KOTD needs a bit more quality control.
Battlehogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #12
brodeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
There is some element of risk with that too. Organik was getting ragged on by fans who paid to see Saurus vs Math (Literally the only good battle on the card) and Math didn't turn up. Compare that to a bigger event and a battle as big as Pat vs. Serius doesn't happen and doesn't affect sales too much...
sure, and that might take some ironing out.. but then in that situation as the battler your fuckery doesnt get covered up by 12 other battles happening with just as big of names. which means your fuckery will always be under the spotlight, so you either step up or you become forgotten.

might not be the best short term idea, but i think itd benefit in the long haul. it wont happen tho

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 09-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
brodeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmatic View Post
SM/NOME: Are they necessary?
they're like.. half the size of WD/Blackout??

u dumb??

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 09-07-2016, 01:18 AM   #14
wreckedangle
@wreckedangle

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
wreckedangle is not the worst person
damn u guys really ponder over this shit
whoa
ONLY DUMB NIGGA'S THINK ITS THE SAME PAIR I GOT SO MANY I COULD START A LINE...SLIME
WHOA!!!!
wreckedangle is offline   Reply With Quote