Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Notes from #Bars by Ryan O'Leary

Old 12-31-2018, 01:50 AM   #81
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
Nah 360 was partnered with Anecdote in the WRC. Him and Justice just teamed up for that battle vs Thesaurus & Madness.
and @bobbylight What is your take on the legacy of the Australian guys.. and Professor Green?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:15 PM   #82
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
irvsykeg is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
Or you could just buy the site then fix it as you see fit without having to write a kiss ass letter

yeah, pay a shit load of money i don't have for a site that generates 0 revenue, solid idea

hitting up the owners and offering to fix their forwarding and indexing isn't a kiss ass letter, its offering to perform an expensive service that im proficient at. i wouldn't offer it for free

Quote:
So if I'm assuming that PD helped The Saurus make his name. Could his selling footage to Justice ever have seemed disloyal to Pete? If you were going to speculate
PD hoarded footage and recorded as much as he could specifically to sell it. every thread mentioning franco triggered a bat signal for drummond to hop in and peddle his best of franco dvd and pitch his "battle at the barb" dvds which were events he threw

justice buying footage is just another dude buying footage so who cares

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #83
Water Mage

Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
yeah, pay a shit load of money i don't have for a site that generates 0 revenue, solid idea

hitting up the owners and offering to fix their forwarding and indexing isn't a kiss ass letter, its offering to perform an expensive service that im proficient at. i wouldn't offer it for free

PD hoarded footage and recorded as much as he could specifically to sell it. every thread mentioning franco triggered a bat signal for drummond to hop in and peddle his best of franco dvd and pitch his "battle at the barb" dvds which were events he threw

U have any personal experience with Franco? Hes probably the most fascinating guy of his era to me.. He's like the quintessential battler of that time / place
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:53 PM   #84
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

How do you know what the site generates? But suppose you are right and the site doesn't make money. Perhaps all the more reason to ask what they think its worth because they might sell for less than you think. Anyway, sounds like preserving the old content is a good thing, so good luck. Check out this site. It has a strong track record of preserving websites

https://archive.org/index.php

Never heard of Battle of the Barb. Where those events poppin? And did PD have some special admiration for Franco? Actually, how was Franco regarded, in general, in that era?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 PM   #85
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
U have any personal experience with Franco? Hes probably the most fascinating guy of his era to me.. He's like the quintessential battler of that time / place
What made Franco the quintessential battler of that time?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #86
bobbylight

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
Quote:
and @bobbylight What is your take on the legacy of the Australian guys.. and Professor Green?
As an American battle rap fan I feel like they are mostly forgotten. 360 used to be the most popular in the early grindtime and kotd days. Purpose had a couple lackluster written battles. Justice was a beast though, in scribble and in that two on two against thesaurus. That Benjamin button rebuttal was something I remember after the 8 or so years since I last watched it. He was a beast. But from what I understand 360 was like super popular in the mainstream in Australia selling out shows with thousands of people. As for professor green, I got into the battle scene a bit after his time (around wrc 2007). I always did like this song though.

bobbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:10 AM   #87
bobbylight

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
Quote:
Lol I remember Franco and his partner who sucked fighting in the wrc post battle interviews in some of the late battles in the day.
bobbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #88
Water Mage

Quote:
What made Franco the quintessential battler of that time?
OH BOY I am not a good enough writer to answer that.

Hes James Vanderbeek on eight grams of tweak who sold his soul to the
amphetamine gods in a faustian bargain for freestyle virtuosity.

Firstly, I believe I said he was quintessential battler "of that time an place" meaning of his respective scene.... Scribble jam, tourettes, that kind of scene.

-He was a paragon of the aesthetics of that scene:
-the right mixture of energetic and stylish, yet aggressive.. I guess the only
word would be "mercurial"

-The backpacker aesthetic of that era and scene was very much influenced by skater culture, before him, I guess it was adeem who who had the right mix of styling and technical bravado and had that skater swag going on

back then in skateboarding and in freestyle battling, style mattered more technical perfection but ofc you still needed to be technically proficient.

Another thing that mattered in skateboarding AND in freestyling at this time was authenticity.. You could be a technical wizard in skating but if your persona or style came off as fake or forced nobody is fucking with u.. That mattered in battling too and I think Franco oozed authenticity on the stage...

more to the point; Franco was the right mix of "flowy" and "punchy" he had the "fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee" thing going on... The Saurus was more punchy but not quite as flowy.. The Saurus didn't have the right balance of those two things, which is why he is not the quintessential, but

The Saurus is the GOAT so he made his top heavy style work for him, even though it was not aesthetically perfect.

I would say Franco was the right mix of style and technical skills to be the best possible example of a battler from his respective era and scene. Not to say he was the best of his time by any means, I give that title to THE SAURUS ; a freestyle TITAN

But Franco is a legend for sure and Franco's battle with The Saurus (the tourettes one) Franco is underrated IMO.. Franco was so good that The Saurus couldn't always beat him.

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-02-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #89
Water Mage

Quote:
The book winds down a bit after talking about Math v Rex. Would you agree that is the battle that started the current era?
Your guess would be better than mine. I am not sure if this era is directly inspired by any one battle really... I also feel like this era crystallized in an incremental way as a result of many mega battles that made fans and promoters craving bigger and bigger mega battles which pushed the writing to greater levels of intricacy and basically people just kept raising their expectations more and more and the current scene evolved from that process as a whole more than any one battle....

And now we are in a dead end from that.. Because where do you go from here? 20 minute rounds with quadruple entendres every line? The writing can only get so good. And audiences are so tense as they process the intricate and cerebral writing that they forget to have fun. So what's next? How can writing get any more stimulating or intricate? Maybe smart drugs or AI's and cyborgs will help us all write and comprehend wordplay with 8-12 levels of meaning... I wish battling had taken a different path because I knew the obsession with writing would ultimately lead to dead end and a dried up scene. Reminds me of what happened with video games, all about better and better graphics, but games are less fun than games of the 8-64 bit era

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-02-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #90
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
Your guess would be better than mine. I am not sure if this era is directly inspired by any one battle really... I also feel like this era crystallized in an incremental way as a result of many mega battles that made fans and promoters craving bigger and bigger mega battles which pushed the writing to greater levels of intricacy and basically people just kept raising their expectations more and more and the current scene evolved from that process as a whole more than any one battle....

And now we are in a dead end from that.. Because where do you go from here? 20 minute rounds with quadruple entendres every line? The writing can only get so good. And audiences are so tense as they process the intricate and cerebral writing that they forget to have fun. So what's next? How can writing get any more stimulating or intricate? Maybe smart drugs or AI's and cyborgs will help us all write and comprehend wordplay with 8-12 levels of meaning... I wish battling had taken a different path because I knew the obsession with writing would ultimately lead to dead end and a dried up scene. Reminds me of what happened with video games, all about better and better graphics, but games are less fun than games of the 8-64 bit era
Thats interesting smart drugs and AI to help the writing get more intricate. We had a thread about that a few years back. I wonder if the world of nootropics has changed much in 5 years. Or if software can help the writing process.

http://www.rmbva.com/showthread.php?t=4871&styleid=4

I've noticed a rise in the level of performance, and I enjoy that. For example, when Twerk tapped SMACK's pockets. I thought that was cool. But it's really nuanced because I don't advocate meaningless trash lyrics either. Anyway, I like the analogy about video game because too much of a good thing won't always continue to be a good thing.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #91
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
-The backpacker aesthetic of that era and scene was very much influenced by skater culture, before him, I guess it was adeem who who had the right mix of styling and technical bravado and had that skater swag going on

back then in skateboarding and in freestyle battling, style mattered more technical perfection but ofc you still needed to be technically proficient.

Another thing that mattered in skateboarding AND in freestyling at this time was authenticity.. You could be a technical wizard in skating but if your persona or style came off as fake or forced nobody is fucking with u.. That mattered in battling too and I think Franco oozed authenticity on the stage...
I view skating and bmx as being cut from the a similar cloth but I've heard that skateboarding has more of an outlaw image to the general public. Why do you think that is, and are you a fan of the x-games?
Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #92
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
As an American battle rap fan I feel like they are mostly forgotten. 360 used to be the most popular in the early grindtime and kotd days. Purpose had a couple lackluster written battles. Justice was a beast though, in scribble and in that two on two against thesaurus. That Benjamin button rebuttal was something I remember after the 8 or so years since I last watched it. He was a beast. But from what I understand 360 was like super popular in the mainstream in Australia selling out shows with thousands of people. As for professor green, I got into the battle scene a bit after his time (around wrc 2007). I always did like this song though.

https://youtu.be/iRvuNrsVhhs
Thanks, I hadn't heard that song it's pretty cool. Maybe we can say Professor Green and 360 have had some of the most mainstream success of all battle rappers.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #93
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
I think the UK battle rap scene has completely moved on from Pro Green and vice versa, he's a pop star/TV personality now.

Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't heard that song it's pretty cool. Maybe we can say Professor Green and 360 have had some of the most mainstream success of all battle rappers.
Yeah he was smart, left at the right time and capitalised on the buzz he'd made from winning Jumpoff's tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #94
Water Mage

Quote:
I view skating and bmx as being cut from the a similar cloth but I've heard that skateboarding has more of an outlaw image to the general public. Why do you think that is, and are you a fan of the x-games?

NOT a fan of the x-games. I grew up as a skate rat and as a punk kid in the 90's punk / hardcore scene... BMX is done primarily in a skate park I believe, and that's why it doesn't have as much of a rebellious image.

Street skating and the type of skating you see in skateparks or the X games are as different (culturally speaking) as scribblejam and URL

Skateboarding in a skatepark is more sporty, something that the street skating purist rejects, as its too close to the type of sports that the jocks do, and for the skate rat, there was nothing worse than being a jock.

I was one of the few who didn't have a problem with jocks but I was still a street skating purist and I would have rather have set foot in a church than a skatepark.

And I'll explain why. Street skating always had an overlap with the punk culture and to
a certain extent, hip hop culture too, albeit more of the backpacker hip hop variety.

Like punk, street skating is about rejecting societal norms and authority and embracing a completely different lifestyle and aesthetic. As a skate rat, you spend most of your time in your small tribe of skaters, roaming the streets, joking around, sometimes getting into trouble or playing pranks.. I mean, "Jack Ass" kind of shows the goofy
pranks side of skater culture but I don't watch "Jack Ass" and I think they take it too far.. But Jack Ass is accurate in the sense that the stuff they do is obnoxious... We did some obnoxious and rude stuff, for sure

A skate rat hits the streets around 10-11 AM and goes home around 12-2 AM, only 20-40% percent of that time is spent skating, at best. SOmetimes the skating completely stopped after sunset and partying took over, sometimes it didn't and we skated well after dark... But we were always in the streets.

Here's the interesting thing about skater culture.. It's very inclusive as long as you follow the one cardinal rule: Be yourself, be authentic. WHen I started skating I was
a nerd who sucked and I thought it would be next to impossible to make friends in the
skateboarding world... On the contrary I made friends very quickly and easily because
anyone is welcome as long as they are real, regardless of skating ability

Passion, style, fun and authenticity are more important than technical prowess, even though those with prowess will be revered as long as they have style and they are true to themselves.

So that's all a big reason why street skating is more rebellious than BMXing.. The other
reason is simper to explain: You get the cops called on you for skateboarding in
public areas. People kick you out of public areas because they don't want you there.

Skaters put wax on the edges of curbs and it gets ground so much into the concrete
that it would never come out

So dealing with angry business owners and cops has always been a part of the skate rat lifestyle.... As a grown man I understand it but back then we didnt gaf....

There are still signs in my hometown from the 90's that say "no skateboarding" in our
old skate spots... THese signs are completely unnecessary today and it makes me a bit
sad to see them.. This was the best era of my life, hands down .. And I can't wait to see
"mid 90's" by jonah hill because he as lovingly recaptured this era in film and he used real pro skaters to be the actors.

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-03-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #95
Water Mage

Quote:

NOT a fan of the x-games. I grew up as a skate rat and as a punk kid in the 90's punk / hardcore scene... BMX is done primarily in a skate park I believe, and that's why it doesn't have as much of a rebellious image.

Street skating and the type of skating you see in skateparks or the X games are as different (culturally speaking) as scribblejam and URL... Street skating has a completely different aesthetic.. If you watch street skate vids the skating flows the way rapping does.... But in a skatepark, whether it be BMX or skateboarding, that type of "flow" is impossible to portray.. You can skateboard and make it look effortless
and cool... In BMX you have to show that you are trying, and that right there changes the entire aesthetic

Skateboarding in a skatepark is more sporty, something that the street skating purist rejects, as its too close to the type of sports that the jocks do, and for the skate rat, there was nothing worse than being a jock.

BMX and "ramp skating" are a lot more similar I would say, culturally speaking... The are also more athletic endeavors.. You can be a pro street skater and be a raging alcoholic and or do drugs recreationally... I am not sure if that would be possible with BMX it just seems more physically taxing...

I was one of the few who didn't have a problem with jocks but I was still a street skating purist and I would have rather have set foot in a church than a skatepark .

And I'll explain why. Street skating always had an overlap with the punk culture and to
a certain extent, hip hop culture too, albeit more of the backpacker hip hop variety. To do street skating, first, you had to be willing to spend a lot of time in the streets.. Secondly, you had to be willing to break the law or have the cops called on you.... So that sort of pre-selects for rebellious people right there.

When you're out skating, you're very exposed. The few BMXers that I saw in the streets could blend in, they look like a kid on a bike to the general public. Skateboarders stick out like a sore thumb and skateboards are louder than bikes. A lot of people hate street skaters and back then a lot of ppl in cars
would yell shit at us.. Often it was the rich jocks doing that... We always yelled back and flipped the bird.. And sometimes the car would stop and
we would either fight or run away like the punks we were, depending on how intimidating or numerous
the guys in the cars were

Like punk, street skating is about rejecting societal norms and authority and embracing a completely different lifestyle and aesthetic. As a skate rat, you spend most of your time in your small tribe of skaters, roaming the streets, joking around, sometimes getting into trouble or playing pranks.. I mean, "Jack Ass" kind of shows the goofy
pranks side of skater culture but I don't watch "Jack Ass" and I think they take it too far

Here's the interesting thing about skater culture.. It's very inclusive as long as you follow the one cardinal rule: Be yourself, be authentic. WHen I started skating I was
a nerd who sucked and I thought it would be next to impossible to make friends in the
skateboarding world... On the contrary I made friends very quickly and easily because
anyone is welcome as long as they are real, regardless of skating ability

Passion, style, fun and authenticity are more important than technical prowess, even though those with prowess will be revered as long as they have style and they are true to themselves.

There are still signs in my hometown from the 90's that say "no skateboarding" in our
old skate spots... THese signs are completely unnecessary today and it makes me a bit
sad to see them.. This was the best era of my life, hands down .. And I can't wait to see
"mid 90's" by jonah hill because he is going to lovingly recapture this era.

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-03-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #96
irvsykeg

Quote:
yeah franco is awesome and was hilarious. ill post some shit later if i remember. here's a good one: http://rmbva.com/showpost.php?p=637701&postcount=15

Quote:
How do you know what the site generates? But suppose you are right and the site doesn't make money. Perhaps all the more reason to ask what they think its worth because they might sell for less than you think. Anyway, sounds like preserving the old content is a good thing, so good luck. Check out this site. It has a strong track record of preserving websites

https://archive.org/index.php

Never heard of Battle of the Barb. Where those events poppin? And did PD have some special admiration for Franco? Actually, how was Franco regarded, in general, in that era?
i am an internet mad man. i know these things.

the site's value came from the domain and the forum. the forum drove traffic. traffic can be monetized. the forum is dead. the domain is still valuable, but the current site won't generate shit. the site would be expensive as fuck. i believe jeff sold it for like 250k or some shit. you are super duper far off with the viability of purchasing the site. yes, im aware of the wayback machine. they won't have the forum archived.

setting up proper redirects or scraping the site would be exponentially easier/more likely than buying the thing

battle of the barb were elliots little battles he threw on campus. there were a few. not tons of great shit but mc pat aka absolute had some dope shit.

drummond and franco worked together for a bit. elliot made a lot of francos beats and sold the best of franco dvd nonstop. when i saw elliot last, which was like a decade ago in seattle, i believe he was voicing concerns that franco's mental health was spiraling downward. he also said franco accused him of stealing $ from the sales of francos dvds/music. i also heard from others that franco had said the same to them. not sure about that.

franco was regarded as one of the top dudes of that era. he won a lot of really solid freestyle battles at the time, including some shit in NYC (i think TKO or something), iron man in CA (footage is online), etc. IMO he's one of the best freestylers, esp on a beat, and definitely one of the best overall freestyle battlers ever

"witcha sorry ass eminem 8 mile rap!" --> "i've never seen 8 mile, fuck you/ kid i'll be watchin wild style, style wars and krush groove"

franco could rap super well on beat and is one of the most underrated dudes that time has forgotten i guess

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #97
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
yeah franco is awesome and was hilarious. ill post some shit later if i remember. here's a good one: http://rmbva.com/showpost.php?p=637701&postcount=15

i am an internet mad man. i know these things.

the site's value came from the domain and the forum. the forum drove traffic. traffic can be monetized. the forum is dead. the domain is still valuable, but the current site won't generate shit. the site would be expensive as fuck. i believe jeff sold it for like 250k or some shit. you are super duper far off with the viability of purchasing the site. yes, im aware of the wayback machine. they won't have the forum archived.

setting up proper redirects or scraping the site would be exponentially easier/more likely than buying the thing

battle of the barb were elliots little battles he threw on campus. there were a few. not tons of great shit but mc pat aka absolute had some dope shit.

drummond and franco worked together for a bit. elliot made a lot of francos beats and sold the best of franco dvd nonstop. when i saw elliot last, which was like a decade ago in seattle, i believe he was voicing concerns that franco's mental health was spiraling downward. he also said franco accused him of stealing $ from the sales of francos dvds/music. i also heard from others that franco had said the same to them. not sure about that.

franco was regarded as one of the top dudes of that era. he won a lot of really solid freestyle battles at the time, including some shit in NYC (i think TKO or something), iron man in CA (footage is online), etc. IMO he's one of the best freestylers, esp on a beat, and definitely one of the best overall freestyle battlers ever

"witcha sorry ass eminem 8 mile rap!" --> "i've never seen 8 mile, fuck you/ kid i'll be watchin wild style, style wars and krush groove"

franco could rap super well on beat and is one of the most underrated dudes that time has forgotten i guess
Interesting, who is Jeff? And if the rapmusic site was worth 250k at one point, then what would you estimate this site is worth?

And its unfortunate hearing that Franco's mental health might not be well. So is it safe to assume that is why we don't hear from him much in the battling subculture anymore?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #98
Profess
Smooth Criminal

@Water Mage great post! thanks for the insight. I watched that mid90's movie last night. I appreciate the recommendation because I enjoyed it.

I feel what you are saying about a punk skater not associating with the x-games culture because .. are you saying they'd run into a lot of posers there?

Also, I wonder if many punk skaters can transition into winning tourneys and do so gracefully without insulting the punk skating purists (like you?) .. if that is even possible.

In the movie, there are two characters in the skate crew that are the best in the group. One wants to see where skating can bring him, and the other places a stronger focus on partying.. leading to a strain on their friendship. I'm curious what your take on that dynamic and situation is.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #99
irvsykeg

Quote:
Interesting, who is Jeff? And if the rapmusic site was worth 250k at one point, then what would you estimate this site is worth?

And its unfortunate hearing that Franco's mental health might not be well. So is it safe to assume that is why we don't hear from him much in the battling subculture anymore?
jeff owned RM. this site isn't worthless, but not worth much. there isn't much traffic, forums are hard to monetize anyway, and the domain is whatever. it's a niche site so someone could cop it just to try and bring it back or just for the fudge of it. the user base and board already being installed are somewhat of a value. essentially you'd just need to find someone who wants to run a battle rap board and is willing to pay for the shortcut of having this already established. im sure someone would buy it.

no idea about franco. maybe ill hit up elliot and see if he has any insight. franco - fracas was a dope song.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #100
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
jeff owned RM. this site isn't worthless, but not worth much. there isn't much traffic, forums are hard to monetize anyway, and the domain is whatever. it's a niche site so someone could cop it just to try and bring it back or just for the fudge of it. the user base and board already being installed are somewhat of a value. essentially you'd just need to find someone who wants to run a battle rap board and is willing to pay for the shortcut of having this already established. im sure someone would buy it.

no idea about franco. maybe ill hit up elliot and see if he has any insight. franco - fracas was a dope song.
Right, Jeff owned RM. Is/was he a big fan too, and is he on here? Also, there are about 20x the amount of guests on the site right now as there are members. Any insight on lurker culture?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #101
Water Mage

Quote:
@Water Mage great post! thanks for the insight. I watched that mid90's movie last night. I appreciate the recommendation because I enjoyed it.

I feel what you are saying about a punk skater not associating with the x-games culture because .. are you saying they'd run into a lot of posers there?

Also, I wonder if many punk skaters can transition into winning tourneys and do so gracefully without insulting the punk skating purists (like you?) .. if that is even possible.
Ya like in the 90's a lot of us saw what was happening in the X games or what have you and it was too mainstream

There were plenty of pros who did ramp skating and street skating... So it's not like it would ruin your street cred.. We just didn't like it and we didn't really care about Tony Hawk doing a 900. It didn't inspire us at all.. The aesthetics just aren't there... It's like being able to rhyme 8 multi syllables for an entire verse and rap as fast as mac lethal.. Difficult, sure. But if u don't look cool doing it whats the point? If its not fun to do why would anyone want to do that or watch that? So this is a big parallel with rap actually..

This is why I judge battle rap the way I do. I think the main goal of a battle is to basically do a better job of either looking cool or a better job at being yourself, stylistically and aesthetically speaking. Rapping is just a medium to express that.... The technical side of writing / rapping is secondary and only important if it serves that purpose... MF DOOM doesn't need a proper flow to be MF DOOM and to express what MF DOOM needs to express.

THat's why EK can stumble and most people don't care because his style is so loose and doesn't try hard. He doesn't need a perfectly clean style cuz that's not his aesthetic. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that EK was a skaterat or a surfer just based on his whole demeanor and approach to battling

AN people will tell Erik Foreman that his projection sucks.. The way I see it, it doesn't matter cuz that's not who Foreman is.. He is a guy who has insane bars and he undersells them in his delivery, doesn't try too hard, it actually looks cooler that way, cuz it suits him

then you take someone like 100 bullets. He is such a try hard, and he tries so hard to tick off all the boxes for what a battle rapper should do. Problem is, he looks like an assclown cuz he has no style, no finesse. Nobody wants to be like 100 bullets

So now there is way too much emphasis on technical perfection and I think battles are less fun as a result.. Battling was way better when it was a pit setting, a bunch of people on a park or just rapping over a beat if it has to be stage...

Glad u liked mid90's tho.. Thats the first movie I recommended that I haven't even seen.. lol.. THe problem is that Amazon won't let me pay to watch it
because I have a Canadian credit card.. So I am still waiting to watch it....

But I could tell from the preview that the movie would be authentic af.. And I did some research and the cast is all actual skateboarders who arent really actors they were just being themselves..

From what I have read, Jonah Hill put painstaking effort into ensuring authenticity... The wardrobes, the hair styles are bang on and he even had these kids hang out for a day with no cell phones.. I loved that.. That movie is so accurate that when I saw the trailer it was like having a flashback
Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #102
Water Mage

Quote:

Dear lord this post is GOLD!! YES.. Franco is so underrated... lol I felt a bit guilty about reacting to that Krush Groove rebuttle evn tho i was like "Idk what Krush Groove is but it sounds legit". lemme youtube that.. "DAYUM" *bobs head to the beat*

LOL & that novelty check backpack story lmfao I always forget about that story and every time I hear it again I laugh just as hard as I did the first time I heard it

Imagine him unpacking that thing in front of the bank teller

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-04-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #103
irvsykeg

Quote:
Right, Jeff owned RM. Is/was he a big fan too, and is he on here? Also, there are about 20x the amount of guests on the site right now as there are members. Any insight on lurker culture?
no, jeff is a businessman who runs a really successful t-shirt printing/embroidery company in tennessee or something. way bitd he bought rapmusic.com and countrymusic.com iirc. i think he sold the countrymusic domain to CMT for $$$$ early on and kept rm for a bit. he posted as janitor on the site. wasn't much into battles from what i recall but its been a while since i talked to him. he's a good guy. used to ban me for talking shit lol we'd play heads up on pokerstars and id mollywhop for like $5 at a time

Old 01-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #104
irvsykeg

and i also don't believe those metrics are accurate re: guests

Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #105
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Quote:
no, jeff is a businessman who runs a really successful t-shirt printing/embroidery company in tennessee or something. way bitd he bought rapmusic.com and countrymusic.com iirc. i think he sold the countrymusic domain to CMT for $$$$ early on and kept rm for a bit. he posted as janitor on the site. wasn't much into battles from what i recall but its been a while since i talked to him. he's a good guy. used to ban me for talking shit lol we'd play heads up on pokerstars and id mollywhop for like $5 at a time
As a site owner he sounds solid. How did he pick the rm mods and admins?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #106
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Or if software can help the writing process.
Bit late for this, but there is now multi-syllable rhyme generating software. It's still pretty primitive, but once that gets better it will be a huge resource.
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #107
irvsykeg

Quote:
As a site owner he sounds solid. How did he pick the rm mods and admins?
idk, he wasn't super duper involved always. i think other mods usually did shit like that, or other admins. except for @mapleleaf who was chosen personally by jeff. he said he "saw something in the kid" and granted him mod powers. jeffs savvy business acumen certainly translated well to running a forum cuz as we all know, mapleleaf was voted #1 mod consistently and now helps mod avocados ruin your day page. #salute

multigenerator is hilarious. i bet fools will use it for sure. from a programming perspective, that seems like quite the task. language is a crazy thing.

i hope an australian programmer built it so half the shit won't work for americans

Old 01-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #108
Water Mage

Quote:

In the movie, there are two characters in the skate crew that are the best in the group. One wants to see where skating can bring him, and the other places a stronger focus on partying.. leading to a strain on their friendship. I'm curious what your take on that dynamic and situation is.
Hey! I finally got a chance to watch it so I can comment on that now. Ya so that "strain" is an interesting thing. It's almost eerie how much that movie rings true for me.. So when i got started I actually met my own fuckshit and black dreads dude (don't know his name because they didn't use it)... And they took me under their wing

I later became more like fuckshit personally.. I never did anything as bad as what fuckshit did tho (drinking and driving smh) but this movie made me realize how lucky were were to get away with all of the lesser shit we did without shit hitting the fan.

*ANYWAY* adolescence + skater lifestyle is one hell of a mix... U could say that those two characters are archetypes of the two polarities of skate culture right... Like the unexpected positivity and responsibility that comes from skating and the reckless wild hedonism / silly prankster spirit that has always been essential to the skateboard culture.... these two forces need to be in balance in a crew and also in a skater... There are pros who were alcoholics / drug addicts while pros.. And it didn't ruin their careers immediately but in the end it did.. Best example of this is Ali Boulala... Drove his motorcycle with his friend (also a pro) while hammered and they crashed.. Boulala's friend Shane Cross died and Boulala became crippled and to this day he can't skate.. tragic really..

So skateboarding + adolescence creates this sort of whirling vortex right... It's like your new life as a skater and your crew becomes the reason you end up trying things like cigarettes, weed, malt liquor.. But skating is also the reason that you don't become consumed by or addicted to any of those things because skateboarding and your crew are ultimately the most positive influence in your life by far and a reason to not be self-destructive.

There always were (and are) skaters like fuckshit who take things too far.. I think the point of the strain between them was not for dramatic purposes but to show this bipolar nature or yin / yang of skate culture and how those two poles try to find a sort of dynamic homeostasis.... Like the crew is like a family and they can keep each other in check when someone goes too far, but its more like one organism finding homeostasis rather than a relationship actually eroding because of different perspectives / values...

So IDK man.. adolescence + skating on the streets all the time is one hell of a trip.. But I think the movie did a great job of letting whatever strain did exist melt into waves of exhilaration and euphoria. cUZ for me whatever strife or negativity was around at the time got drowned out by sublime moments of bliss and freedom

So for that reason, this skate crew in the movie is very true to my experience...

I guess its also supposed to be a representation of what a good skate crew should be like.. The crew wouldn't be complete without a fuckshit and wouldn't be complete without that the guy with a good head on his shoulders to keep everyone in check

the thing is some skate crews I knew were ALL fuckshits and they were really out of control... some of them ended up as crackheads and others partied too hard died of OD's.... I had a crew like the one in the movie so i guess im lucky .....

I could personally relate to pretty much everything that happened in the movie, other than the fights (I never saw a skater fight another skater)

everyone smoking habitually looked weird to me... (only time we smoked cigs was if a non-skater we met was a smoker and gave us one.. We didnt have our own packs or anything like that wtf)

-40s were definitely something we got our hands on but not during the day.. at night when the skating subsided and the loitering and partying would commence like a sunset into night.

-the drunk driving was also crazy to me.. Felt kinda forced for dramatic purposes really.... Like... skateboard home drunk? absolutely. Ride a bike home drunk? Sure. Drunk driving? fuck that

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-18-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #109
Profess
Smooth Criminal

@Water Mage to what degree is your skate crew still together? And in general when to skate crews stop being active. Also can an argument be made that skating is a subculture of hip-hop or visa versa. Last question, what's your take on the sk8 spelling. Thanks for the reply on the movie.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #110
Water Mage

Quote:
@Water Mage to what degree is your skate crew still together? And in general when to skate crews stop being active. Also can an argument be made that skating is a subculture of hip-hop or visa versa. Last question, what's your take on the sk8 spelling. Thanks for the reply on the movie.
Ya I've always felt like skating was just another element of hip hop, I'd say the average skater feels the same way too... U can watch skate vids from the 90's and they're skating to hip hop and whats more, u can see how the whole concept of "flow" in rapping translate to the style of the skating itself or even how it's filmed

I know of quite a number of skaters who are really into hip hop and graffiti and they'd tell you that skating is hip hop 100%.. I always thought it was interesting how the skate culture embraces hip hop so much but reverse is not true at all

if someone used sk8 in a text the way brits do it with m8 I wouldn't care.. I mean I saw someone tag our skate spot with "sk8" and it just looked too try-hard to me

Skate crews will stay active to the extent that they keep active in skating, In my experience....
To what extent is my skate crew together? Zero. I mean, that's the thing.. It's like a lightning in a bottle sort of thing that mid90's tries to capture.. Your crew can be like family but its all held together by the skating lifestyle and without that everyone goes in their own directions

At least thats the way it went for me... Man... Honestly shit was never the same after everyone started carrying a cell phone around... It just changed people.. Idk what generation you're from.. But honestly cell phones and 9/11 are basically what killed the whole 90's vibe IMO... And with that, a lot of skate culture died too.. BUt not just these two events, I mean adulthood itself can hit skaters / crews hard... and shit is never the same...

9/11 is self-explanatory but as for cell phones, thats when ppl started to insulate and isolate themselves in a tech bubble and called around to see who was doing what and who was out

I still remember my friends calling a friend who was in the room with us and say the all too familiar phrase, "who's all there?" The person on the phone would list the names of the (scarce) number of ppl who were chilling together. The caller invariably decided to stay at home for the night.. That's when I knew it was the beginning of the end lol...

problem is if everyone starts doing that, hardly anyone decides to go out, theyre hanging back to see if its worth going out for or not... and the next thing you know.... NOBODY wants to go out if hardly anyone is out.. It creates a catch - 22 situation: To get people to come out, you need to attract them.. But in order to attract people you need a sizable group of people to come out...

But that's Canada, I think Americans are generally a bit more adventeruous, friendly and outgoing...But obviously the 90's vibe got swept up in the cataclysm everywhere .. Just a random note... I made more friends in Peru in 6 months that I made in Canada in the last 10+ years.. Even tho my Spanish is like grade 2 level. And I experienced a lot of things in Peru that pleased me, skateboarding wise and otherwise.

Hanging out with your same old friends--- sounds boring af on paper.. But its always better once enough ppl meet up, critical mass is hit and the adventures spontaneously happen

I mean before cell phones, if u wanted to know what was out there, u had to go out there... that's the way it should be.... I make a point to not carry a phone around much... Im not so important... Ppl dont need to get a hold of me too much, so I don't really need it.. I feel happier without it anyway

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #111
Profess
Smooth Criminal

@Water Mage I like the angle that tech hurt spontaneity in the real world. But would it be fair to say that applies more-so to "high-grade tech" than "low-grade tech." By HGT I mean smart phones and by LGT I mean pagers. We'd need to know more about the who's all there example you mentioned but I'm assuming that was a cell phone convo. But on the other hand, while it is argued that that hurt people going out to check things out, could it be argued that the pager actually helped?
Old 01-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #112
Water Mage

Quote:
@Water Mage I like the angle that tech hurt spontaneity in the real world. But would it be fair to say that applies more-so to "high-grade tech" than "low-grade tech." By HGT I mean smart phones and by LGT I mean pagers. We'd need to know more about the who's all there example you mentioned but I'm assuming that was a cell phone convo. But on the other hand, while it is argued that that hurt people going out to check things out, could it be argued that the pager actually helped?
ya def was a cell phone conversation I was talking about

Ya ur right, and I most definitely believe that LGT is totally different and better than zero tech AND HGT! I mean basically any tech with limitations is AWESOME it enhances real world experience.. Too powerful / efficient / unlimited tech just sucks ppl out of the world...............

So to go back to around the time that I was reminiscing about... Ya.. almost nobody had cell phones, and even then at first there was a limit to how often we could use them cuz they were pricy... do u remember paying .50 cents to send 1 TEXT? I do.. A lot of teens had pagers... lol.. I remember sitting with ppl at the foodcourt.. "ah shit, Daryl is paging me.. Brb.. *walks to payphone*...

I actually love social life in Peru for this reason cuz most ppl do not use disposable income for unlimited data plans so there's the limitation right there. In PEru (2013-15), my friends "paged" me by dialing my number and hanging up before I could answer.. Hoping I would call back so I pay and they don't.... And if that didn't work they just come to your house and leech of your wifi to text you to tell you they wanna hang out .. ..

I'm actually such a weirdo I give myself artificial challenges related to tech limitation

The challenge could be anything your imagination can come up with.... U could do an easy challenge like "after sunset I can use tech but only passively NOT actively.." Or "Tonight my house = cabin in the woods, can only use a lamp, read a book, listen to mp3 player, etc.

Or 1 hour / in the AM I can do anything I want with tech... one 1 hour in the evening I can do whatever I want with tech.. Outside of those 1 hour windows I can't use any tech or even look at a screen

I've heard of close friends having parties where each person HAS to put their phone in a bag upon entering the party.. Sounds like my kind of party! THe only problem is that many people visibly suffer from smart phone withdrawal when that happens... Like there are people who are quivering like crackheads on flights cuz they can't check their phone! Shit is wild to me!

Shit has gone so far that I am just looking forward to virtual reality cuz I'm hoping there will be experiences that allow people to be more interactive and more "realistic" experiences while still getting the stimulation that ppl are now addicted to... like scrolling down a news feed is sooooo primitive and mind-numbing if u think about it.... I would much rather navigate a 3D space while surfing the net.. I mean.. Let's make surfing the net LOOK and FEEL like ur surfing.... Ya know ? one day the entire internet will be 3D and what we now call the internet will just be a sub-level inside of "books" inside of a 3D VR super-space

Online stores will be some of the first to 3Dify the internet.... They'll try to make online stores that present their wares in a 3D digital space.. The entire point being to try to reduce the monotony of scrolling / clicking through a catalogue and bring back the visual and tactile thrill of exploring a shopping center while still reaping the benefits of online shopping

Last edited by Water Mage; 01-20-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #113
Profess
Smooth Criminal

@Water Mage back in the early days of texting the prices were crazy. Good thing it was harder to text because for some letters we had to press a number 3x (that's if we didn't overpress) But ya, luckily I avoided any astronomical charges. But I heard some horror stories about crazy bills. Also, are huge roaming charges still a thing? Seems like project Fi is best for those that travel.

Anyway, the turing the net 3d so we don't have to flip boring webpages sounds like it would be an improvement. Who is leading the VR space at the moment? I tried a google cardboard and liked it, but it is flimsy so I don't use that anymore.

IIRC that was talk about 3d for battle rap or rather VR for battle rap. I imagine a VR ppv could garner more revenue and offer a better experience. How long til we can get a SMACK event like that? Actually, how likely is it that URL is the first league to try that?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #114
irvsykeg

bender told me he left his shit on in africa or something and got some huge ass bill. idk if he was trollin the boy or not tho. rip to one of the best

Tags
55357, 56856, 8217, 8230, bars, salute