Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Franco da goat

Old 03-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
god level

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Franco da goat

my boy messaged him years ago man.. and the type of messages he sent back were god sent shit. Indecipherable godly language bruv. We're speaking on it right now and idk man. Idk
god level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
back in the day he used to leave me voicemails freestyling over beats I mailed to him periodically....fun fellow ....

in fact this is a video version of one of them...this beat just collected dust..sheesh...but yea....I used to get these once a week for a brief period of time

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
god level

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
god level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australiagod level is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrist View Post
back in the day he used to leave me voicemails freestyling over beats I mailed to him periodically....fun fellow ....

in fact this is a video version of one of them...this beat just collected dust..sheesh...but yea....I used to get these once a week for a brief period of time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTWnP4lsqM
legend

if you seen just a glimpse of what this fool Franco wrote to this guy man.. my mind is wrecked

/EDIT: hope u saved the voicemails

Last edited by god level; 03-19-2019 at 08:11 AM.
god level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
JR77

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Shame he ended up battling J-Pro, cause that battle is now also lost
JR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Water Mage

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Always loved Franco.. Man I feel kinda sad that you don't see Franco like this anymore.. Hope the dude is alright.. He's prob. the most mysterious and fascinating person in battle rap history and ofc one of the most talented.

There are only a few battlers that I send prayers and blessings to on a reg. basis but Franco is def among them
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Franco is easily an all time favorite of mine and one of the best freestylers ever, without a doubt
mapleleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
iamHBY

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Franco stories are always welcome.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 AM   #8
Slug2003

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Slug2003 is not the worst person
Went to college at UCSC with Franco, hung out with him a few times and always saw him at parties battling random fools. He particularly hated this guy that I went to high school with named Sayre. Last time I saw him was at KOTD Alcatraz and the after party at Lush's house. My friend gave him some painkillers, he was acting weird that day. I called him out for using old material against Isaac Knox and he was trying to justify doing it. Caddy Ron wanted to beat him up for disrespecting a couple cute girls that were hanging out. Later that night after I left the Franco's Blanket incident occurred.
Slug2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Water Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug2003 View Post
Went to college at UCSC with Franco, hung out with him a few times and always saw him at parties battling random fools. He particularly hated this guy that I went to high school with named Sayre. Last time I saw him was at KOTD Alcatraz and the after party at Lush's house. My friend gave him some painkillers, he was acting weird that day. I called him out for using old material against Isaac Knox and he was trying to justify doing it. Caddy Ron wanted to beat him up for disrespecting a couple cute girls that were hanging out. Later that night after I left the Franco's Blanket incident occurred.
1. Why did he hate this "Sayre"?
2. acting weird how?
3. How did he disrespect the cute girls and why?
4. You left the party? LOL man what I wouldn't give to be at a party like that
5. Can u plz share about the Franco's blanket incident??? Super curious LOL
6. What did Franco study in University? Plz tell me English literature LOL

Last edited by Water Mage; 03-20-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Slug2003

Sayre went by the rap name Mister Sayre, he was part of the rap crew The Lost and Found Generation and later Rec League. He was kind of pretentious and could be a jerk to people he didn't know or like. Plus Franco thought he sucked, that he was better, and maybe a little jealous of what other people thought of him. He was acting weird in that he was kind self conscious of his diminishing spot in the future of battle rap at that point. He was mad that the girls didn't know who he was. I stayed at the party till like 1am but I had to work the next day. I have been going to battles since BOTB1 so most of the OG West Coasters recognize me so I get to go to after parties sometimes. The Franco's blanket incident has been talked about on an episode of the Dirtbag Dan Show, I cant remember which one. Short version is that Aspect One was sleeping in one of the rooms with a blanket that Franco brought for himself and that Franco was too scared to ask for it back so he had to have Lush wake him up and get it back for him. Lush tells it way more funny. He did study English Lit.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Slug2003

Dirtbag Dan Show episode 22, right around the 1:03:00 mark
Old 03-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #12
Water Mage

Quote:
Dirtbag Dan Show episode 22, right around the 1:03:00 mark
Thanks so much man, MUCH appreciated
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #13
Profess
become the conspiracy

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@Water Mage if Franco returned to battle rap do you think he'd excel in the current era? Also who would you want to see him battle.
@Slug2003 Have there been any recent Franco sightings?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:48 AM   #14
Slug2003

No sightings, last contact was through email. flowmastafatsac@gmail.com I heard about an event that Ghambit was hosting in Santa Cruz called KOTD Chaos on the Coast and thought it would be a good fit for him. He sent me some cryptic email with some song lyrics alluding to the fact that he was afraid to go anywhere because he might get beat up somehow. I would like to see him battle someone like Pedro because they both don't really like to prepare. Dizaster has openly challenged Franco to a freestyle battle and claimed that he was willing to put up the money for his travel costs and hotel fees.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 AM   #15
Slug2003

Everybody should just spam his email and get him to agree to come out of hiding.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:26 AM   #16
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
PJ Sumroc is not the worst person
Franco is on facebook..i just friended him not long ago

https://www.facebook.com/flowmastafa...flowdirtymasta

BATTLE ADDICT
THE WAX DRIPPING GERALDO RIVERA MEMORIAL AWARD WINNING RADIO SHOW

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/battleaddict

https://twitter.com/Battle_Addict

-YOUTUBE-
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qL...?feature=watch

"im nice with a gun, my bitch do black magic, what you want a bullet or some wizard shit?!" -Swamp
PJ Sumroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #17
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

...and yes Franco one of the greatest..always hoping for a comeback..i need to bust out my "Best OF Franco" DVD

BATTLE ADDICT

-YOUTUBE-

"im nice with a gun, my bitch do black magic, what you want a bullet or some wizard shit?!" -Swamp
Old 03-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #18
Profess
become the conspiracy

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
No sightings, last contact was through email. flowmastafatsac@gmail.com I heard about an event that Ghambit was hosting in Santa Cruz called KOTD Chaos on the Coast and thought it would be a good fit for him. He sent me some cryptic email with some song lyrics alluding to the fact that he was afraid to go anywhere because he might get beat up somehow. I would like to see him battle someone like Pedro because they both don't really like to prepare. Dizaster has openly challenged Franco to a freestyle battle and claimed that he was willing to put up the money for his travel costs and hotel fees.
Do you have any idea why he fears getting beat up? And do think said fears are founded in reality? Also has Franco gotten beaten up often in the past?

Diz vs Franco sounds sounds like a good freestyle battle. Nice choice. Should this be on beat?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:45 AM   #19
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Diz vs Franco sounds amazing

BATTLE ADDICT

-YOUTUBE-

Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 AM   #20
Slug2003

On the Dirtbag Dan Show Lush talked about him owing people a bunch of money. He has gotten punched a couple times, once at a party by that guy Sayre I talked about when Franco wouldn't stop spitting bars at him. I was there for that one and had to get in between them. The other time was vs. Capitol Hill which can be seen on youtube. Franco has always been better on beat. All his classic battle footage was freestyle on beat.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
Profess
become the conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Sumroc View Post
Diz vs Franco sounds amazing
How about Franco vs Frak?

KOTD or Botz
Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #22
Profess
become the conspiracy

Quote:
On the Dirtbag Dan Show Lush talked about him owing people a bunch of money. He has gotten punched a couple times, once at a party by that guy Sayre I talked about when Franco wouldn't stop spitting bars at him. I was there for that one and had to get in between them. The other time was vs. Capitol Hill which can be seen on youtube. Franco has always been better on beat. All his classic battle footage was freestyle on beat.
Franco handled that Capital Hill incident well. I hadn't seen that clip. Thanks

I might email Franco later and see if he'd be receptive to doing an interview with someone like the battle Rap resume guy. If he's gonna come back on a two battle contract vs Diz and Frak some promo would be nice to remind heads this guy is a legend. Franco vs Top-r might be good too.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #23
Profess
become the conspiracy

From what I can tell this is Francos first and last battle in the written era.

That is 7 years ago. I wonder if he'd update hi is approach in 2019 or 2020
Old 03-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #24
Water Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
@Water Mage if Franco returned to battle rap do you think he'd excel in the current era? Also who would you want to see him battle.
@Slug2003
Well Franco would have to tweak his style to excel in the current era... Ya know, when he writes he's almost like a backpacker version of head I.C.E. except very far from being the height of his powers and not as good of a judge of his own writing / delivery as I.C.E. is

In written battles his delivery is way off, never lets anything sink in and leaves the listener in the dust unless you are on the same cerebral frequency that he's on (James Vanderbeek on 6 grams of tweak)

For Franco to do well in this era he would need to catch lightning in a bottle, he's all lightning, no bottle

No matter what I think it would be an uphill battle for Franco to excel in the current era since style and freestyling are his strengths and it seems like he's lost in the era that he came up in (and who could blame him for that?) So I don't see him adapting

It's tragic really.. Franco is just such an insanely compelling figure for me.. Kinda like a tragic hero lyricist.. Like a modern day Icarus who blazed too brightly, got too close to the sun and burned out... Never really getting the good fortune that his boldness, courage and virtuosity deserved.. Hell, I'll say that he deserved to go as far as (say) Eyedea or Sage Francis did (not a fan of either btw) did in rap.. He would appeal to the same demographic but he lacked the artsy fartsy and philosophical pretensions that bait the hipster / backpacker crowd like catnip

You can laugh at that story of Franco getting pissed that some battle rap fangirls didn't know who he is but at the same time you can kinda understand the frustration...

If me and my backpacker buddies were at that party we woulda booed those girls for not knowing Franco
and we would have surrounded caddy like a blob to protect Franco

And god damn it if I had been there I would have snatched that blanket off of Aspect One's sorry hide! LOL

There's a total lack of reverence for the freestyle era... the top tier of the freestyle era are Titans and their achievement's should never fade with the passing of time because their achievements simply can not and will not be matched.... When talking about people like Franco, The Saurus, Nocando, and all of the other freestyle titans.. the word legendary doesn't do them justice. Not even close.

we could walk the earth for another 30,000 years and still not see the likes of these TITANs again.. I feel so lucky to be born around the same time as them

If I saw Franco, The Saurus, or any of the other freestyle Titans the only thing stopping me from bowing before them would be because it would just embarass them.. But I would be doing backflips if I saw Franco irl

Last edited by Water Mage; 03-21-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
Water Mage

Quote:

http://youtu.be/bN4ZYC6qH-4

?? I thought he's had way more than 1 battle in the written era..

I'll try to find some of them later I thought he had at least 3 written battles....
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #26
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post

I'll try to find some of them later I thought he had at least 3 written battles....
He battled J Pro at an early KOTD West event, I think it was the same one as Philly Swain vs Daylyt. J Pro had all of his battles deleted so it's not online anymore.
Quote:
It's a fact that The Saurus didn't back down and let Pat Stay be the alpha male and all of that has a FACTUAL basis in primate psychology.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
Emancee

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

Yeah three is correct.
Exi
Dmeitz
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #28
Profess
become the conspiracy

Hmm how about Franco on that beat league that Cortez has recently been excelling on. Verbal Warzone I believe
Old 03-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #29
Water Mage

Quote:
Franco handled that Capital Hill incident well. I hadn't seen that clip. Thanks

http://youtu.be/k4ITONgzQeU
It's cuz of this type of stuff that I said before he is like the quintessential battler of his time.. He had something to prove... physically an underdog but he knows he can win and he's just the right combination of style, punches and flow, perfect timing/delivery.. And in this battle U can see he honestly didn't gaf about life or death in that moment he was just so in the zone

Franco's timing is just so good too... Like how the fuck are ya gonna style on someone in a devastating way mere seconds after being swung on by a 300 lb guy

I love the pause while Franco, robbed of his greatest power source, the almighty beat ,for a moment, decisively declares that nothing will stop him then the beat comes back and he says "so bring the beat back"... And for that moment, Franco is riding a tidal wave after just being hit by one.

I would have lost my shit if I had been in the building for that.. I damn near lost my shit the first time I saw that footage

Anyone know what he says RIGHT after "bring the beat back" crowd drowned him out ?

Last edited by Water Mage; 03-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #30
Water Mage

Dude I don't know how to thank you.. You made my day with your entire post

I can't even react to your post without being totally weird so I am just gonna say thanks for sharing some precious battle lore

Quote:
He did study English Lit.
CALLED IT! Anyone else imagining an alternative version of "Dead poet's society" with Robin Williams inspiring Franco to go back to scribble jam after losing to Nocan... And Robin Williams indirectly helping Franco win by teaching him some special vocab that somehow helped Franco think of a Scribble-winning final punchline in a rematch vs Nocando?

Watch this scene and imagine that this Kid is Franco.. It will make the movie much more enjoyable... And at 1:46 Franco starts freestyling in front of the class and Robin Williams says "brilliant! And starts beat-boxing to help keep Franco going...

Last edited by Water Mage; 03-21-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #31
Dusted123

Dusted123 is not the worst person
Franco vs J-Pro may be gone but we still got Franco vs J-Pro

Dusted123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #32
Profess
become the conspiracy

Quote:
It's cuz of this type of stuff that I said before he is like the quintessential battler of his time.. He had something to prove... physically an underdog but he knows he can win and he's just the right combination of style, punches and flow, perfect timing/delivery.. And in this battle U can see he honestly didn't gaf about life or death in that moment he was just so in the zone

Franco's timing is just so good too... Like how the fuck are ya gonna style on someone in a devastating way mere seconds after being swung on by a 300 lb guy

I love the pause while Franco, robbed of his greatest power source, the almighty beat ,for a moment, decisively declares that nothing will stop him then the beat comes back and he says "so bring the beat back"... And for that moment, Franco is riding a tidal wave after just being hit by one.

I would have lost my shit if I had been in the building for that.. I damn near lost my shit the first time I saw that footage

Anyone know what he says RIGHT after "bring the beat back" crowd drowned him out ?
Something like I'll still grab the mic/ no matter what Franco battle tight
Old 03-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #33
Water Mage

Quote:
Something like I'll still grab the mic/ no matter what Franco battle tight
yeah but there's something else.. something that rhymes with "back".. I guess its impossible to hear over the crowd roaring
Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #34
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Franco also battled Kodyack (RIP) at BOTB1, really good performance by Franco IMO.

“Kodyack, look at homies back there’s a note attached saying he’s gross and fat but I could have told you that just from lookin at a photograph”

I saw the ex I battle posted but I think the OT round is it’s own separate video and Franco goes offff in it. I remember there was some drama where Franco basically realized it was gonna go to OT regardless so he spit a random verse for his 3rd round and saved his battle verse for the OT and smoked ex I. Pretty sure he said “he lost his best friend in a fatal car accident/ then this motherfucker got a dui like three months after it”
mapleleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #35
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Quote:

this happened around the sme time...i always that Francos last battle was vs J-pro

BATTLE ADDICT

-YOUTUBE-

Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #36
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Quote:
How about Franco vs Frak?

KOTD or Botz
would love to see it,,,always thought Frak look like Francos little brother

BATTLE ADDICT

-YOUTUBE-

Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #37
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
i like that dude switches up his cadence unlike many of the sheep... cites kool keith as an influence ...dope

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. geechi gotti
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #38
Profess
become the conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Sumroc View Post

this happened around the sme time...i always that Francos last battle was vs J-pro
If I recall correctly, Jpro had his battles pulled in order to pursue a professional career... Hence the pro moniker .. but seriously did anything happen in the Jpro v Franco battle that would have caused Franco to hang up his jersey?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #39
Profess
become the conspiracy

@Water Mage I hate to say this but Franco's FB page lists his area of study as environmental studies. But there is a 1% chance I misread that.. I like the English major angle
Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #40
Profess
become the conspiracy

Sidenote, the admiration the No Coast guys have for Lush One is strong (that coming from the guy [me] )that was gassing a lush one album listening party a few months ago.

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221