Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Does KOTD realize illmac having the chain does nothing for their brand ?

Old 01-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
Does KOTD realize illmac having the chain does nothing for their brand ?

I know u guys just love illmaculate and all but....

How many views does he generate ?

If he battled Hollow TODAY would anyone care ? Would it warrant a top PPV card ?

Rone however could be top 5. No problem.

If rone wins that title boyyyyyy that'd make KOTD so
Much more interesting.
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
They get to play his song doe

".... That's a dope cyyyyypher"

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
@VapeHop
Yaki Yaki Yaki

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
If he battled Hollow TODAY would anyone care ? Would it warrant a top PPV card ?

Quote:

Quote:
Much more interesting.
@VapeHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
lennycooke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
lennycooke is not the worst person
Quote:

Much more interesting.
Illmaculate's popularity really isn't as high as it should be based on his ability, accolades, and status as a legend. It's because he is a rapper and doesn't have the performance ability or appeal of a Dizaster or Pat Stay.People like Illmac are an example of why Daylyt does the wild shit he does. Illmac being champion probably isn't as beneficial to KOTD as having Pat or Diz was.
lennycooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
just no. so much wrong in just one post
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
Of course. This board is always so biased they can't admit the truth. Regardless of how talented illmaculate is (and he is talented) he is not the image to take the KOTD brand higher.

Now bring on the posts about how that stuff doesn't matter and so forth.
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
i think it's just that Illmac is a rather reserved guy that doesn't go out of his way to do flashy shit or even promote himself much tbh (which i very much like about him but it makes him stand out less overall).

also i don't know who made the decision for that intro music clip but yeah, choosing part of the worst verse he's released in a long time is probably not the greatest idea either. i'm bumpin the Only&Ill album from time to time and whenever Commercial comes on, i skip straight to Bigg K's verse and skip the song after it.

btw Hollow vs Illmac is my dream battle rematch, in fact it is the single battle i wanna see the most right now. but i'm a weirdo so take that however you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2902 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
I'm not sure branding is the only reason to have a champ. It's also to give battlers something to aspire to and chase, and having someone like Illmac, who has easily earned his position, says to a lot of guys in KOTD they can make it. Also, he did beat Pat fair and square, so...

KOTD as a brand is doing fine regardless of who the title holder is. Watch, Pat will have a bigger opponent than Rone on Blackout, and will still be talked about just as much without the title and will widely be regarded as one of the league's flagship battlers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
wreckedangle
@wreckedangle

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
wreckedangle is not the worst person
Quote:

Much more interesting.
u play pogs for fun dont u
whoa
ONLY DUMB NIGGA'S THINK ITS THE SAME PAIR I GOT SO MANY I COULD START A LINE...SLIME
WHOA!!!!
wreckedangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Do they realize that having any battler as their champ does nothing for their brand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #11
Franklin Drebin
Police Squad

Franklin Drebin is better than Grind Time AustraliaFranklin Drebin is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedangle View Post
u play pogs for fun dont u
8-ball slammers>

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
I couldn't believe it was her. It was like a dream. But there she was, just as I remembered her. That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seemed to say... "Hey! Look at these!" She was the kind of woman who made you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were a man! She reminded me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it.
Franklin Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #12
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Paul Robeson is not the worst person
kotd fans get what they deserve those pussies requeested iiiit
Top Ten White People: 1. Norman Bethune 2. Vladimir Lenin 3. Abraham Lincoln 4. George Carlin 5. John Brown 6. Frank Thompson 7. Lyudmila Pavlichenko 8. Anna Louise Strong 9. Woody Guthrie 10. Tadeusz Kościuszko
Paul Robeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #13
brodeezy

Mentioned: 630 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
biggest problem is is theres no realistic interesting matchups for illmac after rone. top tiers dont care to battle him cuz if they wanted to they would have by now. illmac aint gonna all of a sudden become a view getter.

hes one of the battlers that the backpacker crew likes to label a legend but he doesnt really have any of the same qualifications as the universally regarded legends. he's just been around forever and can get by/not get washed against some top tiers. he gives em enough material so they can argue on the net about how he won or is a legend. but most ppl that watch battle rap dont list him as one of the GOATs

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #14
knuklo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
knuklo is not the worst person
KOTD has a nice triple threat-round robin with title matches between Mac/Rone/Fresco. Carter Deems is still the unofficial champ tho.
knuklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #15
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i mean you have a point, but look at the flip side-

if pat stay was still champ this thread reads "Having pat stay stuck as the champion is bad for KOTDs image, he's their biggest name and he's forced to battle Charrons and Illmacs instead of bigger names like Hollow Da Don"
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #16
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
on the other hand, i was kind of hoping being the KOTD champ might do something for Illmac but then i realised the people that both want the chain and deserve a shot at it are not particularly exciting matchups for him, usually ones that he could have taken anyways. i just wish he would become as good as he was around 2010-11 again but i think the fact that he wanted that chain so bad and i'm sure is gonna wanna keep it now actually will prevent his performances from being as dynamic and daring as they used to be, simply because he's been going with an extremely strategic approach that will probably allow him to keep winning consistently but is so planned through and defensive it just makes the battles themselves boring. the Pat Stay match is the best example of that.

Quote:
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Old 01-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #17
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i think illmac can put on a decent/good battle with pretty much anyone so he is fine as the champ
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #18
lennycooke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
lennycooke is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
i mean you have a point, but look at the flip side-

if pat stay was still champ this thread reads "Having pat stay stuck as the champion is bad for KOTDs image, he's their biggest name and he's forced to battle Charrons and Illmacs instead of bigger names like Hollow Da Don"
yea, it is definitely a give and take.they can make bigger matchups now that they can put pat against whoever they want. that is a good point. There are advantages to not having the title on your biggest names. The title match will get attention regardless, and then you can create additional big matches for the event.
lennycooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #19
averagejoe
©

Mentioned: 1159 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
I'm not sure branding is the only reason to have a champ. It's also to give battlers something to aspire to and chase, and having someone like Illmac, who has easily earned his position, says to a lot of guys in KOTD they can make it. Also, he did beat Pat fair and square, so...

KOTD as a brand is doing fine regardless of who the title holder is. Watch, Pat will have a bigger opponent than Rone on Blackout, and will still be talked about just as much without the title and will widely be regarded as one of the league's flagship battlers.

this except theres fuck all to aspire to cuz battles arent judged and contenders are random fucks or the hype at the time

i aint bout to start ranting about not judging battles again tho...but yea it should be something ANYONE can attain if they earn it its strutured like shit its never the 2 best fighting for the championship ever. never once.
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #20
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I understand KOTD's thinking. Illmac actually has something of a music career and that looks good for their brand.
Unironic kids movie gun bars
Comparing a gun to a sports star with the same number
You get shot like INSERT PERSON WHO GOT SHOT
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:32 AM   #21
averagejoe
©

Mentioned: 1159 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
like is ill mac and rone the #1 and #2 in te league right now? or in battle rap?

are they on the biggest win streaks?

chain is a joke except the bonus pay dat shit is real
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #22
ux9 u so fine

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
ux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australiaux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australia
I know for a fact they are 100% aware ..

They had to do it for 1) politics 2) respect for illmacs legend status n drive 3) timing 4) Macs respect for the craft

He's not an exciting figure on any level tho ... n yes they know that
ux9 u so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #23
ux9 u so fine

ux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australiaux9 u so fine is better than Grind Time Australia
The fact that its a chain is already really lame I don't get that
Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 AM   #24
brodeezy

Mentioned: 630 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
I understand KOTD's thinking. Illmac actually has something of a music career
not after they kept using that shitty intro of his he dont

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #25
ux9 u so fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeezy View Post
not after they kept using that shitty intro of his he dont
U would be surprised man ... I swear
Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #26
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

Illmac got complimented on twitter one time by Macklemore he should beg to get on his next record that shit would be dope
Top Ten White People: 1. Norman Bethune 2. Vladimir Lenin 3. Abraham Lincoln 4. George Carlin 5. John Brown 6. Frank Thompson 7. Lyudmila Pavlichenko 8. Anna Louise Strong 9. Woody Guthrie 10. Tadeusz Kościuszko
Old 01-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #27
Shameless

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Shameless is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robeson View Post
Illmac got complimented on twitter one time by Macklemore he should beg to get on his next record that shit would be dope
They've done stuff together already.

Shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 AM   #28
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

yeah but that was b4 he was famous
Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 AM   #29
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

Actually I bet Illmac was more famous than him at that point lol
Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #30
Carl Spackler
Cinderella story

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Carl Spackler is better than Grind Time AustraliaCarl Spackler is better than Grind Time Australia
Illmac has a lot going for him. He's about to sing a deal and go commercial. He's also putting out projects, so fire.
Carl Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:54 AM   #31
RonRon da Dong
Ronald R. McDongald

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
RonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time Antarctica
How many Americans are in line for title contention before a Canadian is tho? I mean honestly who do they have to push other than charron?

bishop?

I got 4 more bars hold on ..

then rap a whole 16
RonRon da Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:07 AM   #32
Battlehogg

Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
They've done stuff together already.

Haha. Can't believe nobody's ever used this against him.
Battlehogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:12 AM   #33
Shameless

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Shameless is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlehogg View Post
Why would they? Doing songs with one of the most popular artists in the world is a good look in most cases, even if it is with someone like Macklemore.
Shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 AM   #34
Battlehogg

Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
Why would they? Doing songs with one of the most popular artists in the world is a good look in most cases, even if it is with someone like Macklemore.
Yea....Nah! Not a good look homie. Unless your target audience in a bunch of limp wristed 15yo's
Battlehogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #35
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlehogg View Post
impossible to make that work. nobody in the crowd would know wtf Illmac's opponent would be talking about, and even if they would they wouldn't give a flying fuck. that's the kind of angle Diz takes from time to time, then when he realizes nobody gives a shit he giggles awkwardly and changes subject.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2016, 02:48 AM   #36
Paul Robeson
Loe Pesci's Biggest Fan

Macklemore is dope what are you talkin about

he even apologized to kendrick for winnin that award
Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 AM   #37
VAallDAY

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
illmac vs hollow would be a good rematch.. and i think illmac corny as shit

but thats a good match up.. much better then hollow vs pat stay
VAallDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:21 AM   #38
Agro

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Agro is a PY Poster
yikes

Last edited by Agro; 06-04-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #39
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennycooke View Post
yea, it is definitely a give and take.they can make bigger matchups now that they can put pat against whoever they want. that is a good point. There are advantages to not having the title on your biggest names. The title match will get attention regardless, and then you can create additional big matches for the event.
honestly I categorize most battlers into two groups... you got the competitors and the entertainers

the chain has to be geared towards the competitive battlers... ones that really try to "win"... which imo will never be as popular as the daylyts, conceiteds, dumbfoundeads, who are there more for general entertainment

obviously some battlers have crossover appeal and can switch gears between the two "styles" but generally I see Illmac, Rone, caustic, charron, (the guys always in the chain discussion) as "competitors"... in that sense these are good matchups. it's just that I don't think the title match or the belt will ever be the biggest battle views wise on the card as long as it's the only judged battle. KOTDs main product is "entertaining" battles- the title match isn't really congruent with that. so in that sense I think Mac is a good look as champ as he's probably the best "competitive" battler out there right now.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #40
thekotdchain

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
thekotdchain probably likes in here/hair word play
Does OP realize that hand picking the title holder would render my significance almost negligible because it represented brand recognition more than it represented champion status. I am a reward for the competitors, not for the fans. The chain is something that those deserving can attain... we've already discounted that in some ways by making me nearly impossible to attain for someone like charron who probably deserved it. To the best of my knowledge... the league has taken every reasonable measure to dictate the storylines and push certain narratives without removing all credibility. My rep and validity is already in serious question based on these facts. To say that one of the best who earned and deserves me should not be able to is asinine. The owners have done an excellent job routing this chain to please most parties based on deserving competitors and we've seen many quality holders. We've seen legends. We've had underdogs... We had the mostly Canadian and grass roots era. We've had a surprise defense. We've had American holders... we've had illmac. Thesaurus. Diz. Pat stay. Kid twist. Hollohan..... Don't be greedy man... the staff has done an excellent job with this.. even day got his chance..... for the fans... and he squandered it with a false message political pov. It's been a good run. Just chill.... illmac is a deserving champion.

- the kotd chain
  • Pat Stay
  • Real Deal
  • Head Ice

thekotdchain is offline   Reply With Quote