Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Slogans and repeating old material is never, ever a good look

Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
bells720
Posts Things

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
bells720 is not the worst person
Slogans and repeating old material is never, ever a good look

Someone prove me wrong. It is always a waste of bars/time. Usually takes momentum away from a round. And half the time either the end doesn't rhyme or the setup makes no sense.

Why do battlers keep up this nonsense?
bells720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
NickkaJ
I'm Technical

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
NickkaJ is a PY Poster
Not dick riding but B-Magic's is a great closer... Don't see how that kills anyones vibe or his performance...
I did like the Ball Game but hitman but he doesn't do it anymore.. I think if he just used it at the end of third like magic it would still be around..
I do like Tay Rocs thats pretty catchy...

What slogan's are you talking about?

I don't respond to quotes
NickkaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
titles on point minus a few slogan exceptions

ie) head ice

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
NickkaJ
I'm Technical

NickkaJ is a PY Poster
Ice and Hoffa too i like those

Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
DJQuotes

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
DJQuotes is not the worst person
Yeah, it would be different if they repeated an old line, but switched it up a little bit to say something different.

I like how after Daylyt joined Dot Mob, he took the "grown man bars...." slogan, and flipped it to say "aint gonna e-quill up to this quill shit" or "bein marked out is something you gotta deal wit, no matter how many Philly Swain keep it raps you got, it aint gonna equal up to this fuck what you talkin bout."

Mainly, I think they repeat shit more for the live crowd so they can get the crowd involved and get them behind them. When DNA ends his rounds on the big stage with that whole "get him the fuck outta here, no, get ___ the fuck outta here, get ___ the fuck outta here," the crowd goes insane.
DJQuotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
bells720
Posts Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickkaJ View Post
Not dick riding but B-Magic's is a great closer... Don't see how that kills anyones vibe or his performance...
I did like the Ball Game but hitman but he doesn't do it anymore.. I think if he just used it at the end of third like magic it would still be around..
I do like Tay Rocs thats pretty catchy...

What slogan's are you talking about?
I'm mostly thinking of when ppl do it every round. And it's especially bad when it's a full bar. The way ars ends each round vs Calicoe is a good example. Or take JC in the J-Pro battle. His programming bar each round fell flat and sounded clumsy.

And even the one word stuff is risky. Yelling landslide is cool...if you're winning. It's painfully awkward if you're getting killed.

And the recycle thing is worse I have absolutely no idea what K-Shine was doing with the "classic" angle against big T. That's never going to be a good plan. Ask John John.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
NickkaJ
I'm Technical

NickkaJ is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bells720 View Post
I'm mostly thinking of when ppl do it every round. And it's especially bad when it's a full bar. The way ars ends each round vs Calicoe is a good example. Or take JC in the J-Pro battle. His programming breach round fell flat and sounded clumsy.

And even the one word stuff is risky. Yelling landslide is cool...if you're winning. It's painfully awkward if you're getting killed.

And the recycle thing is worse I have absolutely no idea what K-Shine was doing with the "classic" angle against big T. That's never going to be a good plan. Ask John John.
Than i agree with you.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Disagree, completely

Marketing.... Do it, imo
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
bells720
Posts Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuotes View Post
Yeah, it would be different if they repeated an old line, but switched it up a little bit to say something different.

I like how after Daylyt joined Dot Mob, he took the "grown man bars...." slogan, and flipped it to say "aint gonna e-quill up to this quill shit" or "bein marked out is something you gotta deal wit, no matter how many Philly Swain keep it raps you got, it aint gonna equal up to this fuck what you talkin bout."

Mainly, I think they repeat shit more for the live crowd so they can get the crowd involved and get them behind them. When DNA ends his rounds on the big stage with that whole "get him the fuck outta here, no, get ___ the fuck outta here, get ___ the fuck outta here," the crowd goes insane.
That DNA ender just makes me cringe now thinking about e-ness trying to flip it, then getting booed, then searching desperately for water. Lol.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
DJQuotes

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
DJQuotes is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by bells720 View Post
That DNA ender just makes me cringe now thinking about e-ness trying to flip it, then getting booed, then searching desperately for water. Lol.
Haha..E-Ness had a rough night.
DJQuotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach is not the worst person
Hoffa needs to stop all his slogans...or just stop battling
NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
NickkaJ
I'm Technical

NickkaJ is a PY Poster
@NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach lets go with option 2

Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
MartyMcFly
Mugiwara

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
MartyMcFly is not the worst person
lux got the GOAT slogan
MartyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
TYPE_Z
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
TYPE_Z is a PY Poster
I find any slogan very annoying

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
TYPE_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
Gopher D'Gusto

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Gopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
There's a right way and a wrong way to do it IMO. If you're using old material or slogans as a crutch like K-Shine or JJDD, it's corny as fuck. If you use it to pump up the crowd, a la Verb's "so...it's...showtime!", it works great. Hitman's "ball game" never gets old either IMO.
Gopher D'Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
@VapeHop
Yaki Yaki Yaki

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE
op is out to destroy 25% of the quillness.
@VapeHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
The Kang
99percent resembleMadIllz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
The Kang is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kang is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kang is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kang is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kang is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Maths bringing the bars back slogan is the worst one in all of battling...I cant think of but one slogan that is good and thats ICE....
The Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
Jimbo Slice
I'm The One Who Knocks

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Jimbo Slice is not the worst person
Saying a word or two at the end of the verse is completely different to spitting an extra couple bars.

Splash
Ball game
Landslide
Ice

They're just like full stops to end the round but the whole "my shit is raw" "GTFOH" "Bars right back" are all whack as fuck.

Verb Showtime. I get fucking excitied when I hear this, I know I'm about to hear something that will be crazier than crazy glue.
Jimbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
viewer121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
viewer121 is a PY Poster
im a monstrosity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
viewer121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Fuck You
willy is a fuckboy.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Fuck You is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickkaJ View Post
Ice and Hoffa too i like those
Hoffa's is so played out. he is the prime example of how not to use your slogans. dude says it every single round of every single battle he in and lets not forgot his slogan is kinda bs seeing as how 70% of his material is usually jokes.
Fuck You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
bells720
Posts Things

Magic's isnt terrible but what does it really accomplish? It is def not the hottest bar. Kinda gets the crowd hyped I guess. But I feel like what makes things memorable (ie - you gonna get this work) is the quality of the bars and battle. if Lux was saying his slogan in a so-so battle during a okish verse without busta going ham it wouldnt be memorable.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
JustJ123

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Disagree.

And when we get funny shit like

"You can't bite an apple without yo tooth getting lost in it."

In place of a line we expected, its always great.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
OP is correct in terms of quality in battle rap but is wrong in terms of "marketing" and "promotion". Conceited's "slow it down" made him a much bigger star than he ever should have, for example.

"Ballgame!" helped promote Hitman Holla to being one of the highest viewed battlers ever.

They make T-shirts and loot from slogans and repeated material. So, in all honesty, it's a pretty slick way of making money... Even if it does get annoying to the hardcore fans.

Slogans really resonate with the newer (dumber) fans. Most people are dumb. Easy math.

#RNT
#ballgame
#sno dat
#LOM
#HOFFA
#Jersey
#Bosstown

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay

Last edited by Abstrakt; 08-06-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
JeremyLambert88
I Chill Everyday

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
JeremyLambert88 is a PY Poster
I don't mind slogans. If it's just a one word slogan then it doesn't really take anything away from the battle. If it's a bar that they just use as a closer then I don't see the big deal since it's more for the crowd and in the moment they're a lot more important than YouTube viewers.

Recycling material from old battles just comes off lazy though.

Show Page

Twitter

YouTube

Facebook

E-Mail/PayPal Donate: battleaddictradio@gmail.com
JeremyLambert88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
zonal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
zonal is not the worst person
Something like 'landslide' you can just shout once you're round is done and you're happy with it. Did you're battle end well?! Drive the point home by yelling "ballgame" a few times. So that's okay.

Slogans like Hoffa's mean that he doesn't have round-ending bars anymore. As soon as he says "You don't got..." you know the round has already ended.

Obviously the repetition of sloganesque material is meant to get the crowd to shout along with you, but what happens when Hoffa's battling Daylyt and there's only one guy willing to sing along? Who would have said "daddy's spending time with me" if that guy wasn't there? Hoffa didn't even say it!
zonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballgame, hoffa, jersey, lom, rnt, sno, supanega = (s) clurb 1st lady, supanega luvs d n a, supawigga bukake cum dumpster, supawigga slurps d til he burps, supernegger is a fag