Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Can Battle Rap Still Be Commercialized?

View Poll Results: Can Battle Rap Still Be Commercialized?
Yes 0 0%
No 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 945 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
Can Battle Rap Still Be Commercialized?

I've been completely out of touch with the scene for about 2.5 years now but a video recently popped up on my Youtube home page that got me interested again for a quick second.

In the video, Goodz states that he believes battle rappers have the ability to make six-figures in a year off solely battling.

The conversation then transitions to Vlad saying he thinks the well has run dry for big money opportunities in battle rap and that we're never going to see battle rap become a big-money commercial fixture in society. He cites Total Slaughter as a recent example of Eminem/Shady Records getting involved on a major event only for it to be a one-time thing.

Goodz confidently responds that battle rap definitely has room to grow and can still become "big". He says URL is making positive strides with their new subscription-based app and strong PPV services. He says the key to having battle rap translate well on TV is to replicate the authentic look and feel of how battles already are (100 people on stage, 2,000 people in the crowd for URL compared to the Total Slaughter stage/venue set-up).

Which side are you on? Has battle rap already peaked/plateaued or is there still opportunity for it to exist on a sustained "big time" platform?
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThaDiz is not the worst person
I think it could, but not without a massive currently relevant name stepping up, and staying involved for more than just a once and done. Cass is a big name, but realistically hasn't been relevant for a good while. That said, I can't come up with many who would do well, and wouldn't try to make the league their own flip, if it happened on URL or another league who already knows what they're doing here, I could see it working. Maybe I'm just overly positive about it cause I would love to see it happen, but I think so, at least for a few months run until the mainstream moved on.

Last edited by ThaDiz; 08-29-2019 at 07:01 PM.
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Profess
Smooth Criminal

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Vlad is tuned into battle rap like Ebro is which means they are both out of touch. Saying that Total Slaughter was the high point of battle rap (or whatever) is like saying that the popular comedians today should be striving for a sitcom. I think asking if battle rap can go mainstream and asking if battle rappers can make 6 figures are two different questions. But I do think the top battle rappers can make 6 figures. I agree with Goods on this and think Vlad should stay in his lane.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Water Mage

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
It could be commercialized, but the battlers themselves need to rap in a way that is, well, marketable.

As a follower of battle rap since 08, I watch battles today and barely even understand the language... half the time it's because I don't get the references and half the time it's because I just can't be bothered to listen carefully enough to catch everything and im def not rewinding, im too busy and exhausted from work and sports to be rewinding and googling shit in my leisure time just to comprehend a line in a battle.

I've been saying this for years, but for battlerap to be marketable it would need to be more competition / tournament based with judges and perhaps would be best presented as a reality TV show and a competition at the same time.

Because in order to market something like this to the masses, not only does the content need to be accessible, but you need to tell a story, and that means establishing and introducing the characters, have a plot arc (the competition) and then display the battles with proper context.

You would also need fresh new faces, aspiring rappers who dress and rap in the way that is currently
trendy

I mean, u guys realize that today's youth would see a 2019 battle from any league and all they see is washed up men who are old enough to be their school teachers being corny, right?

Things become a lot more marketable when you tell a story and present things right.

Pretty hard to market a battle where people don't understand the context, don't know the characters and can't be bothered to decode the language.

Last edited by Water Mage; 08-29-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:56 AM   #5
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Battle rap on TV will be very watered down. Battle rap needs to really push all online venues PPV, Apps, There own site etc

Maybe if Nick Cannon starts NCredable Battle League he might have the push to get it on tv

CRB - Rap Battle - Mz BlackPearl vs Houdini Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnPHKLL8k&t

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:05 AM   #6
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
no , too much unprofessionalism
Old 09-09-2019, 03:52 AM   #7
Emancee

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Agree with Vlad. Battle rap is never going to get bigger without people really watering down their punches to appeal to people that have never seen a battle in their life (Like how Hollow did against Budden, for example).

Water Mage made a good point of the fact that I genuinely feel like I am googling and reading the news in States I don't care about to understand bars. As my job has become more data processing focused the enjoyment of doing this while I watch a battle has gone to zero.
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Sky2real

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Sky2real is better than Grind Time AustraliaSky2real is better than Grind Time Australia
I’m not interested in battle rap getting big and commercialized. Anytime celebrities and big money has come into promoting battle rap, it has been corny. Keep it small and high quality.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
CBA

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
Personally I don't feel like it's going to get much bigger, the few times I've actually showed someone a battle they had no idea what the guys were actually talking about lol. I mean besides just explaining the rules, word play, and other stuff you'd then have to explain the history of a lot of it because the punchlines are often inside jokes.

Couple that with the fact that a lot of the battles are close to an hour long which IMO is a huge problem. It's actually rare to see someone go three rounds this style and actually have all 3 be amazing shit. It's why I had to stop watching, even big name battles I wanted to view would be too inconvenient to watch. I found I'd often have to cook dinner while a battle was playing, listen to more while I eat, and by the time I'd be done the battle would still be going on.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Tecnik

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tecnik is not the worst person
In a day and age where people are outraged for leisure, I'd say that unless established celebrities from the rap game are participating (which I know how much the battle rap community loves so much) that it won't get much bigger here in the states than it is now. At it's core battle rap is just 2 people trying to say the meanest things they can to their opponent. Insulting people is not what's hot right now. Avocado toast, telling people you're vegan, doing yoga, and posting "positive vibes only" type memes on instagram is what's hot right now.
Tecnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
Emancee

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnik View Post
Avocado toast, telling people you're vegan, doing yoga, and posting "positive vibes only" type memes on instagram is what's hot right now.
Often when the world gets a bit, for want of a better word, sissified, things swing around. The early 70s had the softest, love-to-the-world music and was followed by bands like The Clash, Led Zeppelin etc. Similarly, the playfulness of the 80s soon gave way to gangsta rap and grunge.

Battle rap could very well gain from a swing like this. If people start to backlash the yoga mums and look for things to offend them, something like battle rap could well be the answer.
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Water Mage

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Often when the world gets a bit, for want of a better word, sissified, things swing around. The early 70s had the softest, love-to-the-world music and was followed by bands like The Clash, Led Zeppelin etc. Similarly, the playfulness of the 80s soon gave way to gangsta rap and grunge.

Battle rap could very well gain from a swing like this. If people start to backlash the yoga mums and look for things to offend them, something like battle rap could well be the answer.
Interesting post. You really got me thinking. I really hope you are right that the pendulum is due for a backswing in the mainstream sense. Although I do believe in the pendulum effect it sesms to me that because we have so much information streams that things are more fragmented than before. So although there are backlashes to the current trend of the day, I wonder if that will actually have a pendulum effect in the mainstream or if it will stay in a thriving digital underground subculture. Strange days we live in. It's like a digital englightenment and dark age going on simultaneously, depending on what any given person tends to tune into, and whatever reality tunnel a person buys into.

Musically, the 80's was cheesy and "sissified" compared to punk, for sure.. but 80's was also one of the most manly decades ever.. Although they had things like disco, they also had Miami vice, 80's movies with some of the most manly superstars ever, masculinity was celebrated in the form of athleticism.

Have you seen "Once upon a time in Hollywood" by Quentin Tarantino? The entire movie is like a love letter to pure masculinity and I gotta give Tarantino props because this is like a huge middle finger to people who have tried their best to make unapologetic masculinity unfashionable and taboo.

One of the reasons that I seriously doubt that mainstream culture is due for a backwing in the other direction is because it is so ideologically driven. Is it really about the current trends in mainstream culture, in the sense of fashion and popularity or is this a group of people who are driven by ideology?

Trends in art and fashion ebb and flow as people are always trying to differentiate themselves but the mass media is very much projecting their reality tunnels onto the populace and spew propoganda.... Some people buy into the brainwashing (I dont care if you are right or left, youre being brainwashed all the same)

and some people refuse to be brainwashed

Those of us who refuse to be brainwashed can be blissfully emancipated from the false left vs. right polemic that is being used against people to prevent them from focusing on things that really matter, like love, beauty, inspiration, life, wonder, exploration and discovery

the universe is vast and infinite my friends... Don't let anyone bog you down :::::: <3 ::::::::::

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-10-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AntarcticaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AntarcticaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Interesting post. You really got me thinking. I really hope you are right that the pendulum is due for a backswing in the mainstream sense. Although I do believe in the pendulum effect it sesms to me that because we have so much information streams that things are more fragmented than before. So although there are backlashes to the current trend of the day, I wonder if that will actually have a pendulum effect in the mainstream or if it will stay in a thriving digital underground subculture. Strange days we live in. It's like a digital englightenment and dark age going on simultaneously, depending on what any given person tends to tune into, and whatever reality tunnel a person buys into.

Musically, the 80's was cheesy and "sissified" compared to punk, for sure.. but 80's was also one of the most manly decades ever.. Although they had things like disco, they also had Miami vice, 80's movies with some of the most manly superstars ever, masculinity was celebrated in the form of athleticism.

Have you seen "Once upon a time in Hollywood" by Quentin Tarantino? The entire movie is like a love letter to pure masculinity and I gotta give Tarantino props because this is like a huge middle finger to people who have tried their best to make unapologetic masculinity unfashionable and taboo.

Those of us who refuse to be brainwashed can be blissfully emancipated from the false left vs. right polemic that is being used against people to prevent them from focusing on things that really matter, like love, beauty, inspiration, life, wonder, exploration and discovery

the universe is vast and infinite my friends... Don't let anyone bog you down :::::: <3 ::::::::::
These posts give me some hope for life
Neanderthol is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags