GZ is embarrassing as fuck.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:17 AM   #121
OrganikHipHop
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 586 Post(s)
OrganikHipHop is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodeezy View Post
if my math checks out, wouldn't it be cheaper to rent equipment and get grants for 1 day of an event rather than 2? and wouldn't ticket sales be higher for two events? i mean, to keep people interested in a 2 day event you need to stack the fuck out of the card.. and it seems the bigger the card is, the less a lot of battlers end up caring.

battlers would be more inclined to give a fuck if they weren't buried underneath a sea of other battlers to cover their ass when their performance goes horribly wrong.

i think ur just an average businessman and kotd staff is going to keep it from growing tbh
Your math is very wrong then. Getting a grant is a very hard and lengthly process. the process of writing grant applications is very very difficult and your average person can not do such. They would not give grants to multiple events in short times and we would not have the resources to have someone working full time in hopes of being able to get them as its not a guarantee that after doing the grant writing process that you will even be formally accepted. Battle rap is not financially stable enough to take such risks. Also, battlers enjoy being on the cards with other big names. Believe it or not its always a selling point for battlers knowing that other big names are on it as well. Rentals and set up is always cheaper for multiple days then one individually, then youd have to consider stuff like travel to obtain, and alot of shipping costs for the stuff such as bleachers, tv screens, and stuff that needs to be delivered and set up by the companies that rent them for insurance reasons.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 AM   #122
brodeezy

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganikHipHop View Post
Your math is very wrong then. Getting a grant is a very hard and lengthly process. the process of writing grant applications is very very difficult and your average person can not do such. They would not give grants to multiple events in short times and we would not have the resources to have someone working full time in hopes of being able to get them as its not a guarantee that after doing the grant writing process that you will even be formally accepted. Battle rap is not financially stable enough to take such risks. Also, battlers enjoy being on the cards with other big names. Believe it or not its always a selling point for battlers knowing that other big names are on it as well. Rentals and set up is always cheaper for multiple days then one individually, then youd have to consider stuff like travel to obtain, and alot of shipping costs for the stuff such as bleachers, tv screens, and stuff that needs to be delivered and set up by the companies that rent them for insurance reasons.
1. you might have an easier time getting them if you didnt do shit like put hfk and charron on a morning national tv show meant for old women to rap about sucking dicks.

2. who said anything about a short time? and wheres the implication coming from that the grants need to be in the same city?

3. rentals are cheaper on multiple day, but more events = more tickets sold. it balances out. smaller events need less rentals anyway.

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here

Last edited by brodeezy; 04-12-2016 at 04:17 AM.
brodeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #123
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kall View Post
It's hilarious to me that even though KOTD (Canada) is arguably a lot more professional, organized, technologically smart, and communicative than Don't Flop/URL/GT etc, they still cannot cultivate a single home-grown prodigy. I'm too old to watch any new battlers, but I get the impression that DF, URL generally recognize who's marketable and who isn't? Which rookie should battle which vet? etc. Even Dirtbag Dan looks to me like he's discovering some creditable prospects. KOTD is such a well oiled machine but they just struggle to do the basics, it's as if Organik and Gully don't have the intuition to distinguish trash from dope.
Don't pay close enough attention to have an informed opinion on who the most professional/organized/etc. is, but Eurgh and Don't Flop seem to be a cut above the rest imo.
GetPaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #124
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
To me it seems you should be able to pull views on whatever stage you're on.. if you're not, it's your own issue. GZ seems cool to me and almost like a subculture
A lot of liberals think the gov't (KOTD) should be responsible for their success.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #125
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

Also, lets be honest, just scroll down the names of the threads on the first page.. how many do you see slandering KOTD, and how many do you see slandering others?
It's been said that running a battle rap league isn't worth the stress or that it's not profitable enough to justify it. We'll just have to take your word on that. It actually means a lot that you do it for the culture. And it looks like you've figured out that anyone coming on this board acting emotional will get flamed, especially a celeb, so that gets you even more props for knowingly walking into the danger zone with a target on your back. I found that stuff you said about why a two day event is more practical than a one day event to be very interesting.

Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #126
rocky
Contributor

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
rocky is not the worst person
I can understand grouping things into a small amount of time to reduce expenditures on ur end. Let's take it from a fans perspective for a reason why they may not want to fly there or drive there for a 2-day event. It's double the cost of hotel for the fans, it's 2 days of standing around packed like sardines, it may force travel on a Sunday rather than a Saturday making it harder to get back home for the work week. That disuades me from going often. I'd imagine same could be said for many other working-fans who have disposable income for ur entertainment. Events even for one day are far too long. It may benefit u to foster an environment that makes the live customer excited to be there and wanting to keep coming back for more, than being sick of the experience,, and u having a half dead audience by the end of the night for ur main events. Costs cannot be ur only deciding factor. If it is, ur product will speak for itself, and fans will act accordingly, and u can't be mad if some of the fans are not happy with what they paid for.

Ppv has certainly allowed for fans further away or those with busy schedules who cannot make it feel like they are there. But these ppv's are wayyyyyy too long as well. I'm glad I can forward through a lot of the battles I don't care enough about to get to the 2-3 battles I have an interest in. I've been there with u guys during early ppv's helping u guys build that product. It doesn't have to feel laborous or excruciating to make things so drawn out and long. If u know even with an organized staff like what u have in tdot runs only so fast, then cut down the battle-matchups. Even vids alone are pushing 30-40 minutes. Attention spans for the average millenial are atrocious, and science proves it.

Take what the Cali events are doing. Back to basics are generally one event, they throw multiple events frequently enough to keep momentum going. Having BO and WD be the only events that pile up mega talent seems like putting all ur eggs into one basket. Tease out main events over the course of a year and kotd events become something worth seeing whenever they are occurring, rather than picking and choosing which event to see. If anything it polarizes and devalues ur gz events becuz the cards are never stacked with big names like ur kotd events. I recall u saying a couple years back even wanting to do more events with main events stacked with up and comers. I think that was the way to go. U clearly have lasted long enough to make it here now grinding to say ur past model has worked with trial and error. If ur costs keep growing with talent and video, and rentals, at some point u need to scale back somewhere while not detering fans away who support ur product. Stop catering to talent that high-ball u constantly for a check, and stop booking venues that cost a fortune and scale to medium sized events where u can manage the crowd better and still deliver a great product of battlers and fans that wanna be there.

GZ has been a hard sell bro. No matter how many subscribers u say are on it, it's got a label to it. Just ask ur top talent u write checks to if they are cool with their vids on that channel. I enjoy the few battles I see where I know friends are battling on it, but even amongst this core group of fans who have followed battling for a long time, it's a subpar product. Why not just meld some of ur mega events into the gz type of talent pool and make consistently great events time after time instead of polarizing it so much into separate brands?

There's merit in listening to some of the feedback in this site barring the trolls who are easy to spot. These guys are core fans who will support ur product and put money in ur wallets even if all the casual fans fall away. Try and find a better balance to ur product that more than reflects just ur costs of business, becuz the fan experience is the foundation of the entire company. People feel comfy posting this here becuz in TalkBack ur mods may censor or delete what they deem is negative to the brand. Taking criticism from the entire spectrum of fans will allow u to get a better grasp of what u can do better or where ur hiccups are. People are passionate for ur product and want to see leagues like u succeed financially becuz we all want the same goal of great battles as fans before this shit was all just about business

Carter Deems>>>>>>
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #127
MookTheGreek
#InThaKut

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
MookTheGreek is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post

Mookie vs Myselph is in my top 5 battles live lmao....
send me your mailing address so I can add you to my Christmas card list.
MookTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #128
Aftershock
VIP

Aftershock is not the worst person
Quote:
Okay, here we go..
Aftershock signed up for the GZ Grand Prix... i know, crazy right? he signed up all by himself and was actually selected to compete in a year long tournament, that he himself, signed up for. It was awesome to see because before Aftershock was getting more hate than love and now its changed that sentiment as people want to see him win again.
all facts

I signed up for the GZGP all on my own. I took over a year off from my last main channel battle (vs Real Talk) and Step Easy. I wasn't THAT big of a name before my hiatus either. I saw the GZGP as a way to A) build my stock back up, B) Win $/accolades of winning a championship and C) help bring some light to some GZ cats.

I honestly believe that I accomplished all of those things by entering/winning the GZGP.
Aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #129
Aftershock
VIP

Aftershock is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post
@Aftershock for the record dont listen to him i always thot u were dope
in like.. a sort of unique way

but i mean i also thot u were ubiquitous for a while so idk
lol

fair enough, Ubiquitous is/was dope
Aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #130
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
Quote:

Now again, your basing a lot of this off your OWN opinion. You like Troy Brown, a lot. But you also have to agree that not everyone in the world agree's with your opinion. So you saying Troy Brown will bring value is again, your opinion and not a fact.
This just proves that battlerap is more like Wrestling and less like MMA. In MMA wins count for something because winning automatically gets you fans. In Wrestling, it's about who fans buy more merch and are willing to come through the door for.

Fair enough to say that even though Troy is nice, he needs more fans and could do well by lobbying for them. That said, just like in Wrestling, a decent push wouldn't hurt.
Serge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #131
TheRealDetour
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
TheRealDetour is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rigs View Post
Keep it real no one watches that shit.

Battling on gz is a punishment.

Has gully ever found a good battler? This dude literally might be the worst talent scout of all time in any field.

Only good shit to come out of gz is from Cali.

GZ has a horrible stigma. If they are lucky enough to get a decent battler they try and keep his ass on GZ to help build GZ's stock instead of the battler's. This shit always backfires and stunts the battlers growth.

I feel bad for dudes like Illipsis. They never gonna let him get a good look?

They are putting Troy Brown on gz for the second time.......
well when ur channel is making people like megadef think they're actually good rappers then u've got bigger problems than talent scouting alone...

tbh the problem is that KOTD uses GZ as a "training league" of sorts...they bring in people who aren't prime time stage performers, but have some potential...whereas the URL, with the PGs, only drops battles with people they think have the talent to rock a main stage crowd already...u may have one shitty rapper versus one really dope rapper, but there's always one rapper with main stage appeal in the PGs...not so in the GZ events...just being real...

It takes some skill to engage haters and keep shit going like he did. In truth he made a fool of Thesaurus in an earlier thread.
www.youtube.com/dubtreys
TheRealDetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #132
TheRealDetour
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
This just proves that battlerap is more like Wrestling and less like MMA. In MMA wins count for something because winning automatically gets you fans. In Wrestling, it's about who fans buy more merch and are willing to come through the door for.

Fair enough to say that even though Troy is nice, he needs more fans and could do well by lobbying for them. That said, just like in Wrestling, a decent push wouldn't hurt.
interesting assertion...

the simple fact is that battles aren't judged anymore, save for championship matches in KOTD (as far as I know at least)...even if they were, in legitimate sports u get fans for winning fights, but even then there's a lot of marketing involved...there are MMA fighters who would likely have gotten more opportunities had they been more marketable...same way with music, the best skilled artists aren't always the ones who get the major backing...

but despite the importance of branding in MMA as well as wrestling, yes, battle rap is basically the equivalent of verbal TV wrestling...harsh blows being thrown that look/sound devastating but aren't actually intended to do anything besides put on a great show for the crowd...not to mention that branding factor, an the fact that sooooooo much of branding in battle rap (an it's the same for wrestling) is about personality...no cares if u can wrestle, are u likeable...

ur still a dick tho...

It takes some skill to engage haters and keep shit going like he did. In truth he made a fool of Thesaurus in an earlier thread.
www.youtube.com/dubtreys
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #133
SCVTTERBRVIN
Unregistered User

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
SCVTTERBRVIN is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDetour View Post
well when ur channel is making people like megadef think they're actually good rappers then u've got bigger problems than talent scouting alone...
hahahahahaha
SCVTTERBRVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 AM   #134
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
A lot of liberals think the gov't (KOTD) should be responsible for their success.
Very true

I'm very consistent
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #135
The Wrist
my first name is The

The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post

of course its more like wrestling.....its in no way, shape, or form a sport. none. i hate that they keep calling it that. awful

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #136
MEGADEF
gunbars.edu

Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
MEGADEF is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
all facts

I signed up for the GZGP all on my own. I took over a year off from my last main channel battle (vs Real Talk) and Step Easy. I wasn't THAT big of a name before my hiatus either. I saw the GZGP as a way to A) build my stock back up, B) Win $/accolades of winning a championship and C) help bring some light to some GZ cats.

I honestly believe that I accomplished all of those things by entering/winning the GZGP.
To keep it a buck, .. the GZ tournament helped me alot.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #137
MEGADEF
gunbars.edu

Quote:

Old 05-04-2016, 01:11 AM   #138
TheRealDetour
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGADEF View Post
so is this supposed to mean u wish u were black an u live in a trash can?

u shouldn't disrespect danny myers like that, he never did nothing to u...

www.youtube.com/dubtreys
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #139
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

Mentioned: 640 Post(s)
I am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rigs View Post
Keep it real no one watches that shit.

Battling on gz is a punishment.

Has gully ever found a good battler? This dude literally might be the worst talent scout of all time in any field.

Only good shit to come out of gz is from Cali.

GZ has a horrible stigma. If they are lucky enough to get a decent battler they try and keep his ass on GZ to help build GZ's stock instead of the battler's. This shit always backfires and stunts the battlers growth.

I feel bad for dudes like Illipsis. They never gonna let him get a good look?

They are putting Troy Brown on gz for the second time.......
True Story
Ain't no real rappers that want to step to me Son! Theses rappers are more softer than a sesame seed bun. Speaking of seeds Star Almighty's Mom is digesting these nuts and up next to roast you guys is ekelon nope forget it he sucks!
I am LIL ILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #140
MEGADEF
gunbars.edu

Quote:

tbh the problem is that KOTD uses GZ as a "training league" of sorts...they bring in people who aren't prime time stage performers, but have some potential...whereas the URL, with the PGs, only drops battles with people they think have the talent to rock a main stage crowd already...u may have one shitty rapper versus one really dope rapper, but there's always one rapper with main stage appeal in the PGs...not so in the GZ events...just being real...
I also had some KOTD and Don't Flop battles last year that I didn't deserve. Can't forget those. How's refrigerator repair school?