Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
One thing KOTD needs to do to make Blackout a success

Old 04-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2889 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
One thing KOTD needs to do to make Blackout a success

...start the god damned event earlier. And if that's not possible, have the title match earlier.

KOTD in Toronto has unfortunately made the same mistake event after event for the past few years, and that's holding their events past the time where people are sober enough to enjoy battles. People who're at events for 6-7 hours (typical KOTD events are from 8pm-3am) typically drink 1-2 drinks per hour, and by the time midnight rolls around are tipsy, getting tired, distracted and impatient after watching so many battles. Hell, I was so drunk by the 230 end time of Dizaster vs Pat Stay at Blackout 4 that I thought Diz won and didn't even notice him pull his phone out.

Honestly, KOTD events are pretty boring in Toronto as a result of their length in start time. Last World Dom I left for hours to go do other things 'cause I was bored of waiting around. A lot of people seemed to feel the same, as Toronto crowds shrink drastically year after year. The events just aren't that fun. I mean, haven't the last 3 title matches sucked as a result? Rone vs Caustic felt dead because there was little reaction, same with Illmac Rone, Pat Illmac. Fans were bored.

So...if Blackout ends at a ridiculous time, I predict it'll suck. If it starts at 6pm, I'm sure it'll be decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Chetty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Chetty is a PY Poster
Yup, I actually agree with this.

I was so drunk/tired by the time Diz was done his first round vs solomon, that I just left.

I also ended up leaving before Caustic vs Rone. No one wants to stand around for 8 hours with massive breaks between battles.

GvG was perfect, because it was only 6 battles and it moved relatively quickly. Lets hope for the same tonight.
Chetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Solace254

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Solace254 is not the worst person
Nah son, with the potential for 4-5 battles out of like 30 being good there's no way to save this basura. Aside from announcing it as a joke lineup and bringing out good battlerap. Don't tell me about the weird kid making bongos being the next great white hope.
Solace254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Chetty

Chetty is a PY Poster
Line up is fire. You're tripping.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
acidzero
lookin oinkish : ux9

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
acidzero is better than Grind Time Australiaacidzero is better than Grind Time Australia
i think the whole 2-day event hurts this as well. GvG and bunker events went so well. I missed the last three battles each day at WD6 because it was getting so late and they had upwards of 30 minute breaks between battles. I couldn't imagine what that would be like live in the venue.

i love battle rap but i can't do 8 hours a day two days straight.
acidzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #6
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Can't believe anyone would go for the whole event, lol. I would genuinely skip the first half, chill out at home, get some drinks. Then about halfway through roll up, safe in the knowledge that you probably missed absolutely nothing. This ain't NOME...
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Seanzo
We in here

Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetty View Post
I think fire is an exaggeration. It's okay, but this is supposed to be KOTD's premier event. Quantity over quality. It is way worse than the NOME lineup. Not enough card sellers
Quote:
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:

Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Solace254

Quote:
What exactly is fire about this lineup? Aside from the few top billed names, I'm lost.

Not even hating, I'm dead ass curious about this.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
Solace254

Quote:
Originally Posted by emancee View Post
can't believe anyone would go for the whole event, lol. I would genuinely skip the first half, chill out at home, get some drinks. Then about halfway through roll up, safe in the knowledge that you probably missed absolutely nothing. This ain't nome...
talk!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
...start the god damned event earlier. And if that's not possible, have the title match earlier.

KOTD in Toronto has unfortunately made the same mistake event after event for the past few years, and that's holding their events past the time where people are sober enough to enjoy battles. People who're at events for 6-7 hours (typical KOTD events are from 8pm-3am) typically drink 1-2 drinks per hour, and by the time midnight rolls around are tipsy, getting tired, distracted and impatient after watching so many battles. Hell, I was so drunk by the 230 end time of Dizaster vs Pat Stay at Blackout 4 that I thought Diz won and didn't even notice him pull his phone out.

Honestly, KOTD events are pretty boring in Toronto as a result of their length in start time. Last World Dom I left for hours to go do other things 'cause I was bored of waiting around. A lot of people seemed to feel the same, as Toronto crowds shrink drastically year after year. The events just aren't that fun. I mean, haven't the last 3 title matches sucked as a result? Rone vs Caustic felt dead because there was little reaction, same with Illmac Rone, Pat Illmac. Fans were bored.

So...if Blackout ends at a ridiculous time, I predict it'll suck. If it starts at 6pm, I'm sure it'll be decent.
u remember me making a thread asking why this is and king flys response?? they do it on purpose lol and they said everybody does it :S
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
acidzero

acidzero is better than Grind Time Australiaacidzero is better than Grind Time Australia
i don think i've ever watched rone vs caustic or illmac vs rone in full
Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Seanzo
We in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Can't believe anyone would go for the whole event, lol. I would genuinely skip the first half, chill out at home, get some drinks. Then about halfway through roll up, safe in the knowledge that you probably missed absolutely nothing. This ain't NOME...
Yeah, but even then it's still about midnight before anything good. I'm getting old; I need something to motivate me to be up until 3am.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
AdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICE
op reads like a math problem.

If Organik is on a train from Toronto traveling at 50 mph and has 3 drinks in one hour what are the chances that Rone will 3-0 head ice??
AdarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

AdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICE
Nerd birds livid!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
Seanzo
We in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdarOne View Post
op reads like a math problem.

If Organik is on a train from Toronto traveling at 50 mph and has 3 drinks in one hour what are the chances that Rone will 3-0 head ice??
Maybe you think things read like Math problems because you're slow.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
Maybe you think things read like Math problems because you're slow.
Livid!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

Mentioned: 1452 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
"it should start at 6pm"

whoa!!! what are all these numbers?!?!?!
megadef #wishes he could go back and unexpose himself as a mama nice try plumptits this is lower than when you slithered your way into the moonbounce at the Colorado Cush Carnival and #popped it with ur fatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
"people drink and eventually get drunk"

NOW WE'RE DOING FUCKING CHEMISTRY???
megadef #wishes he could go back and unexpose himself as a mama nice try plumptits this is lower than when you slithered your way into the moonbounce at the Colorado Cush Carnival and #popped it with ur fatness
Quote:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #19
iamHBY

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Having gone to multiple Bunker events that start early in the day, and end relatively early in the evening, I'd be inclined to agree. 8pm as a time for the doors opening, and not finishing until 2am or so is a quick way to have the crowd dead by the end of the night. Why do the big Toronto events start so late anyways?
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
I think the card is good as the battlers they have are pretty known for bringing fire performances. It's not the biggest names on the card.
I think there's potential to be great matchups out of the card

THe time def needs to change. I've never understood why battles have so many breaks that push the event where it's too late. Especially when they are already starting late

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #21
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Quote:
Go back to Facebook.
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #22
acidzero

only way the card can be saved is if they do smart matchups which i highly doubt
Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
The last Van event was the best I've ever been to as far as time management goes, Sparka and Willie have been stepping that aspect up big time. Doors were at 5, though they were upfront about the battles starting at 6. Started a little after 6 just because they were waiting to get a crowd around the ring, but did battles in 2 or 3 battle clusters and wound up finishing the main event before 9 (which still included reasonable length smoke breaks and battlers going over agreed upon time limits in classic sneaky battler fashion).

Think that's a model that can definitely be adopted elsewhere, just start your event early evening (even if it started at 7 instead, 7-10/10:30>>>9-3), do battles in groups of 2 or 3, limit smoke breaks to a hard 15, and it's less of an undertaking to get people out by a reasonable hour (where they can then do an afterparty or what have you for people not prematurely elderly like me)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #24
Chetty

Chetty is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Go back to Facebook.
Nice try bud...I was on this shit back in the early 2000's when it was still RM.

I just don't post all day like some of you nerds.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
seanzo said past few years

in toronto this is the norm since its inception!!
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #26
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

Quote:
whoa whoa whoa save some savage evisceration for the third round of your next gz battle
Quote:
Old 04-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #27
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Quote:
Nice try bud...I was on this shit back in the early 2000's when it was still RM.

So you're saying you have no excuse to be this stupid.

You probably thought Warbux would beat SK too.
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #28
Scartown

Scartown is better than Grind Time AustraliaScartown is better than Grind Time Australia
What they need to do is screen the fucking crowd.

Like, if you're rocking a fubu sweater or your paco jeans are 3 sizes to big it's an automatic non entry.
Scartown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #29
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
OP on point. I drink heavy so my reaction and excitement game gets expelled kind of early. Energy drinks on deck lol
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #30
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by illipsis View Post
The last Van event was the best I've ever been to as far as time management goes, Sparka and Willie have been stepping that aspect up big time. Doors were at 5, though they were upfront about the battles starting at 6. Started a little after 6 just because they were waiting to get a crowd around the ring, but did battles in 2 or 3 battle clusters and wound up finishing the main event before 9 (which still included reasonable length smoke breaks and battlers going over agreed upon time limits in classic sneaky battler fashion).

Think that's a model that can definitely be adopted elsewhere, just start your event early evening (even if it started at 7 instead, 7-10/10:30>>>9-3), do battles in groups of 2 or 3, limit smoke breaks to a hard 15, and it's less of an undertaking to get people out by a reasonable hour (where they can then do an afterparty or what have you for people not prematurely elderly like me)
This. I was thoroughly impressed with how smoothly the event ran.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #31
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
Alot of you guys sound like bitches

We have a battle event today and all yall crying about it already

Grow some balls crybabies

Cry after if you didnt like it.
ICeeZeeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #32
riffic
RIP ux9 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICeeZeeI View Post

if i could control when i cry don't you think i fucking would

jerk
Quote:
Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 AM   #33
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICeeZeeI View Post

i would control my crying if i was able to.

fool.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #34
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
if i could control when i cry don't you think i fucking would

jerk
Blackout could be decent. Tear it up if its shit after ill help you guys.

It says 9-930 start now.

Fahhhk

Sorry for being a dick I just wanna watch some dudes battle tonight ya diig.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #35
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
i would control my crying if i was able to.

fool.
Fool rymes with drool and thats what ya moms does when she slurps on my nuttsack.

Cool!
Old 04-15-2017, 04:57 AM   #36
sorryplayer
HookersAtThePoint

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
sorryplayer is not the worst person
They need to go back to how Toronto events used to be. Shit like World Dom 1 was during the day. Started around 3 , ended about 930-10. Perfect times.

I also don't understand the whole thing about booking this event on Easter weekend. I take go transit into the city to events so I don't have to worry about driving and can have a few drinks. That shit doesn't run on Good Friday. I'm sure lots of people are with their families too. Just a complete fail on the booking this around

" twin cans, I'm Steve Austin with the budweiser"
sorryplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #37
Cabbagetown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cabbagetown is not the worst person
They should host it in a different city each year.

the Easter thing wasn't on purpose.
Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #38
Seanzo
We in here

Right again.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #39
lukej

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lukej is not the worst person
Quote:
Lmfao at the "line up is fire"
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #40
EchosMyron

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
EchosMyron is not the worst person
I agree with everything in the OP. The title matches should be the most hyped of the event and the crowd has been consistently dead for the last string of them.

It's not a good look when it seems like nobody is excited for the title match at your marquee event.
EchosMyron is offline   Reply With Quote