Watching all GT Battles from January 2009

Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #1
Wtchr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Watching all GT Battles from January 2009

New York Giant vs T. Grams
Jan 3, 2009

Aw... less than 10k views - 18 thumbs up and 13 thumbs down. One of the NY battles where the sun is right in Jaze Juce's eyes. This is the first battle uploaded to 2009 and it already contradicts Drect saying 2009 is all about quality control. Why did he bother saying that if the next battle he released, the first battle of the year of quality control, is some bottom of the card rapfest from mid-october 2008.

T. Grams strength is 'zero gun talk' - he almost immediately starts off sounding like Nat Select from KOTD. Not good. He starts off with something about how New York Giant's boy Quigz, must be Tommy Quigz, wrote for the big guy. There's no reaction and even if its true who cares if Tommy Quigz wrote for another bottom-tier rapper? Then he does some shitty gay stuff, "your a gay man, so I don't care what you say, man."

Mad Illz is hosting, he found a shady spot... why didn't Jaze try that?

New York Giant is hella tall. He's trash though. He said "you're shit without writtens, I should call you Mosh" and Mad Illz seemed to like the Mosh Jelton diss. I dont know, they're both bad.... and I noticed he's gasping for air after every line and now I can't block it out of my hearing.

T. Grams goes on and on about how fat the Giant and its pretty bad. I'm guessing that a lot of rappers see battling a fat rapper as an easy thing or something but they get lured to easily into just rapping away about all the food they eat and how big the pizza they order is. It's usually not funny or good.

The judges hated the battle. Jus One said that he'd disqualify both rappers.

The last 30 second of the video was super weird. It shows a little girl throwing a temper tantrum and someone off screen saying "she must have watched the battle." Then they show Mad Illz physically move Eleagle to the side of the shot before he announces the winner. This is the first battle of 2009, the year of quality control. I know it gets better through the year but man, what a weak start.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
bobbylight

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
"New York Giant is hella tall. He's trash though"

I like this because it is almost like you had high hopes for him because he is hella tall. Like that is helpful in battle rapping.
bobbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Emancee

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post

I like this because it is almost like you had high hopes for him because he is hella tall. Like that is helpful in battle rapping.
Worked for emo Pat Stay...
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Worked for emo Pat Stay...
can you elaborate?
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Wtchr

Quote:

I can see how that 'though' on the end of my sentence can be read to mean I thought he might be good because he's tall. I assure you though, I expected nothing more than absolute shit from New York Giant. If he was just okay that would have surprised me but I've learned from watching all the '08 battles that a battle that couldn't get over 10k views in ten years has nothing to offer.

Some of these 08/09 battlers that have no name recognition in 2019 have an okay line here and there, or they have some area of their performance that's a little more developed, but they're generally pretty bad. I was really just checking to see if New York Giant was actually a big guy.... and he is, so his name is a good self-description. That's about it, eh.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
bobbylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
I can see how that 'though' on the end of my sentence can be read to mean I thought he might be good because he's tall. I assure you though, I expected nothing more than absolute shit from New York Giant. If he was just okay that would have surprised me but I've learned from watching all the '08 battles that a battle that couldn't get over 10k views in ten years has nothing to offer.

Some of these 08/09 battlers that have no name recognition in 2019 have an okay line here and there, or they have some area of their performance that's a little more developed, but they're generally pretty bad. I was really just checking to see if New York Giant was actually a big guy.... and he is, so his name is a good self-description. That's about it, eh.
I like my interpretation better. I am going to start judging people by their height. Like I am going to go to the dentist and be like "I need to see your tallest dentist." Bring my car to the mechanic and be like "nah, y'all too short. "
Old 10-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
Wtchr

Blaze aka Young Gattas vs Pryceless

Blaze aka Young Gattas vs Pryceless
Jan 3, 2009

Gattas was the first female MC to appear on GTN. I kinda remember that after GTN stopped producing new content Drect went around being Gattas manager.
I also remember Gattas being the winner in an okay female battle from Grizzlemania 2.

Battle is from the first midwest event. Gattas is from the Billionaire Fresh Fam. Pryceless is 16. They're both from Indiana.

Pryceless is pretty bad off the top and it's a lot of 'she's really a man' stuff cause Gattas is pretty butch. I hate when people predict shit but I also hate when a rapper does something that's super predictable. Like, when Pryceless does a setup "I figure I'd be fair and generous" against a chick who looks like Gattas, you know an "ellen degeneres' line comes next.

Young Gattas in her first isn't really saying much, freestyling, but her style is aggressive and mean and loud enough to overwhelm Pryceless' weak shit. Pryceless is saying weird stuff in his second and there's no way he's going to win against Gattas. She's got her gun bars but she's also getting laughs clowning on his clothes and she's like 'obviously I'm a dyke' - and Pryceless is stumbling over his weird nonsense.

Somehow one judge chose Pryceless. Unless I misunderstood what he said. The rest of the judges basically said it was a slaughter and Gattas won.

The weird thing about Drect becoming Gattas manager later. The very end of this video, her manager at the time appears on screen and says "get the manager over here, yeah!" It's the only time I've seen a rappers manager on screen. I mean, how many of these dudes even had managers then (or had managers ever?)
Old 10-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
Wtchr

Quote:
I like my interpretation better. I am going to start judging people by their height. Like I am going to go to the dentist and be like "I need to see your tallest dentist." Bring my car to the mechanic and be like "nah, y'all too short. "
It's a good way to judge people, there's no question about that.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Wtchr

Quote:
On second though, a lot of the best battle rappers are like... abnormally short.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:06 AM   #10
Wtchr

Wiseguy vs V-Money

Wiseguy vs V-Money
Jan 5, 2009

V-Money, possibly the second worst battler in all of GT at this point (absolute worst, in my opinion, is Tank Lipp), vs Wiseguy who is probably middle tier for 2008 Florida. Not excited. So far 2009 is showing weak quality control... don't upload a V-Money battle if quality is a concern. Wiseguy's only other battle was vs Tank Lipp so now he's battled the worst in the league.

V-Money does some dumb joke about how he doesn't want to swaggerjack, probably in response to a judge after his battle vs New Eruh.

Wiseguy wins the cointoss and chooses to go first. He's sipping on one of those giant big gulp sodas from 7-11 while he does the battle.

Wiseguy: "I give a fuck about three fouls, I'll give you 3 fouls in each round just to give you a beatdown" his best in the first round. He's got exagerrated facial expressions I don't like but he's got a good performance style.

I don't know who they think V-Money was swagger-jacking down in Orlando but to me he's pure Aspire.

Part of V-Money's first round is shouting that he bought Wiseguy's album and didn't like it. "It wasn't worth the 10 bucks." Not sure if shouting that you spent money on your opponent is the best approach but we'll see if it pays off.

Wiseguy does a whole thing in his second where he has a line about everyone in GT Florida's weak spot and its not bad. V-Money's second is another shitty Aspire impersonation. Wiseguy is Jewish and now V-Money is doing a ton of Jew jokes. Wiseguy pre-empted them by calling V-Money a Nazi at the end of his second.

Wiseguy's a bit good and his third was all about how he's the guy V-Money took his style from. I don't see it but Wiseguy got a round of applause at the end of it then took a nice long coool sip from his soda.

V-Money starts his round with an absolutely pointless twisted forced rhyming. "I'm bad and I'm rude, you're a faggot its true" all while doing this like grade-school teacher wagging his index finger at WIseguy. V-Money then does a Keebler elf bar and it sounds very familiar.

V-Money does this constant finger point move that I can't stand.

Drect says it was a dopeass battle. Wiseguy should have won but it goes to OT thanks to Revanon and Myverse and someone else. The other two judges voted for Wiseguy.

V-Money says something about Wiseguy's twin being Heath Ledger and Wiseguy does some kinda like "damn, I'm hansome" kinda mug for the camera thing. Then V-Money said something about Jerry Seinfeld having sex with Kramer and I think that ended off his list of sitcom jews that he knows... I dunno if Kramer is jewish actually.

Wiseguy stumbled a bit but he held it together pretty well and even though he was obviously freestyling, which is generally a bad thing, he had some good lines in his OT and he took the win. The judges all chose Wiseguy except for dumbhead Revanon.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #11
Wtchr

ATM vs HighCollide

ATM vs HighCollide
Jan 6, 2009

Another Florida battle. They both have battled once at this point and the've both improved quite a bit here.

ATM says weird freestyle sounding lines. It's a lot of "you look like..." bars.
HighCollide, this guy fuckin' wants to make a guy a bride"

HighCollide does major forced multis. "He looks like the male version of rosie o'donnel, but bony and hollow."

HighCollide does one of my least favorite forms of forced multis, the number bars "it looks like shady's friend, atm sucks 80 men till 8 pm".

ATMs back on. He says something like "this bitch sucks dick in the field where he harvests beans." There's a lot of dick suck lines in this battle. Overall this is not great to listen to.

HighCollide has a good ATM flip, something about, "this ATM doesn't give out cash, it spits out trash".

I guess we're not supposed to think about the lines too much but HighCollde says something like "I'm supprised that you came, wasted your cash and your change, because you look like the character model in ever final fantasy game." What does looking like that have to do with showing up or wasting money?" When he said that someone in the audience says "WOWWWWWWW, OH@!" Then HighCollide packed two dicksucking bars into the last 15 seconds of the round.

ATM is weird and I don't know... stuff like "your tattoos were made with rat poo"

Oh god, HighCollide has (what feels like) a long multi-syllable thing about 'ass lube' and whatever. It's no good, man. He makes up for it with "take your ass back to the 504 and rhyme no more" "you came from new orleans just to lose your dreams". He should of ended the round there, best stuff in the battle, maybe the only bit worth hearing. then its more stuff about ATM's mom sucking dick.

Last edited by Wtchr; 10-05-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:07 AM   #12
bobbylight

Five stacks of swine racks? Wasn't that one of high collides set ups?
Old 10-05-2019, 02:09 AM   #13
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Oh god, HighCollide has (what feels like) a long multi-syllable thing about 'ass lube' and whatever. It's no good, man. He makes up for it with "take your ass back to the 504 and rhyme no more" "you came from new orleans just to lose your dreams". He should of ended the round there, best stuff in the battle, maybe the only bit worth hearing. then its more stuff about ATM's mom sucking dick.
Haha! If you're not a fan of long horribly stretched multis, you might want to skip High Collide, it only gets longer and more stretched out from here!
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Old 10-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #14
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Haha! If you're not a fan of long horribly stretched multis, you might want to skip High Collide, it only gets longer and more stretched out from here!
I'll see if I can get through this ludicrous project. Battles like this are taking a toll. I definitely prefer a short, straight ahead "You fuck men" or "your mom is a whore" bar to a long and out of control rhymefest about gay sex or mom sex. The crowds watching these battles should not be impressed by what feels like 12 bar schemes about rectums.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #15
Wtchr

S-Rawk vs EX-I

S-Rawk vs EX-I
Jan 9, 2009

Lush hosted. Introduced it as "Delmon Crew at Grind Time". He also said they were moved by cops so I'm guessing they were moved early because this is the same event as Dumb vs Tantrum, Ok vs Jaze, and Diz vs Saurus and they were all at this spot.

Lush said EX-I was making a big return to the battle scene so I guess he's a bay area battle vet?

Not too excited about another S-Rawk appearance. I'm just going to assume he's losing this one... He just doesn't seem like a winner to me, even though he's tall (he has 2 inches on New York Giant)

I would put S-Rawk at the bottom of all the West Coast battler's I've heard but he would probably be in the upper levels of Florida's scene.

EX-I is good. What happened to him? I've never seen him before. "You listen to Elton John vinyl, let's get the record straight!" probably the best homophobic line I've heard yet.

S-Rawk said EX-I is more square than graph paper. I dunno if you can just bring up graph paper in a battle though. It sounds uncool even if your trying to say the other dude's lame.

S-Rawk ended his second round like 20 seconds early and he was boooed at the end of his third.

EX-I won, of course. His performance was good and his writing was strong. Did he battle much longer after this?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #16
Wtchr

Kay M vs Cortez

Kay M vs Cortez
Jan 9, 2009

Jaze Juce hosting, called the event Grind Time Part 3. At Fat Beats.

Cortez in his intro says a ton of stuff but everyone else is louder and you can't hear anything Tez says.

Don't know Kay M but the video title says he's a 106 champ.

Kay ends his first round by saying Tez is a latin Math and he's "iron solomon but a little darker." This got a big reaction. I know Fat Beats is the venue for the Solomon/Math battle and Tez is a friend of Math's (was he back then) but I don't really get why this got the crowd cheering.

A Cortez hypeman is like right next to the camera or the mic and it's really annoying. Every one of Tez's lines you hear "Un=hunh! Uh-huh!"

Kay M starts freestyling in the third cause he slipped a little. He's got a decent flip at the end of his round off some line Cortez had about leaving Kay M a voicemail.

Cortez has a bad stumble in his third. He bounced back a but but it really fucked his momentum.

Judges voted OT.

This doesn't matter really but I don't get flipping the coin and letting it fall all the way to the floor. You could catch it.

Kay M is freestyling in his OT and its pretty good for a freestyle in this format.

Cortez has a written round and he starts strong. It feels at first like Cortez is going is going to dominate over Kay M's freestyle but Cortez choked, like he coughed, pretty close to a literal choke. Kay M's freestyle was good for an acapella battle freestyle but it wasnt going to beat Cortez' written round, until the choke.

Kay M ends it by promising that he's going to do better on the next episode of 106 so I guess he did terrible in whatever he showed before.

Battle ends with Kay M saying "hey it's all love, we're competitors" and they dap up but then Pumpkinhead gets in and calls out all the rappers talking shit in West Coast and Florida, and the crowd goes nuts shouting stuff as the video fades out.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:42 AM   #17
Emancee

Quote:
did he battle much after this?
Ex-I is about to go on a tear and battle the GOATs of the scene at the time. He also gets one of Real Deal's best performances and battles the awesomeness GOAT, Franco.

Unfortunately he kinda got carried away with the godtier opponents he took on, takes nothing but Ls and got burned out.

Last edited by Emancee; 10-06-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #18
Wtchr

XT The Factor vs Max Paz

XT The Factor vs Max Paz
Jan 10, 2009

Mad Illz starts by promoting Grindtimenow.com and how it has models and games. Did anyone go to that site? Were the models and games any good?

Fresh Coast battle from Mosswood Park. Lush seems excited to have Max Paz from Santa Fe New Mexico. XT battled before... vs DLOR?

XT's card shows Sacramento as 'Crackmento'.

Max Paz seems really weird. It doesn't help that his name reminds me of 'maxi pad' but it doesn't help that he sounds like a mid-teir Florida rapper. He flaps both his arms outwards, bent at the elbow, like wings, and it looks like he's keeping his eyes closed through the rounds. His flow is slow and kinda quiet and his rhymes just aren't great.

XT is killing him. No question. He gets a round of applause after his first. He starts his second round by saying "how can a man with autism rhyme on rhythm" it's a funny line except it seems possible Paz really is on the spectrum.

XT's third is calling Max a retard. It's uhh, it all makes, sense you know, and it's pretty obvious XT won. Max had some okay stuff but XT was overwhelming.

Battle ends with Lush announcing XT the winner but then praising Max Paz for his skills as the video fades to black.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #19
Wtchr

Vibe vs Joe Self

Vibe vs Joe Self
Jan 12, 2009

Another midwest battle. Never heard of either rapper. Joe Self's strength is 'alcoholism'.

Probably one of the lowest viewed battles I've encountered. Not expecting much. Vibe's intro is very quiet.

Joe Self has something about Vibe's dad raping him and that's why he became a rapper. Then has a long forced multi scheme about how Vibe sucks dick. "This faggot raver is looking for a man to savor, he sucks dick but doesn't like the flavour....." he got a big laugh at the end and Vibe dapped him up.

Vibe is quiet and he stumbled after a few lines. He built up some steam but it wasn't great. Joe Self is a better performer his material just plain sucks. Not a lot of excitement from the crowed there either.

Vibe said "how can you try to phase me, you look like both your eyes are lazy" funniest line in the battle but Vibe keeps telling Joe Self he's written by Fresco. Joe Self is clearly not written by Fresco.

Vibe's hit his stride in his third and he's doing way better but he ended on a stumble. Overall a weak battle. Vibe won. Good for him.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #20
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
max paz was a friend of lushes and would help shuttle people around. nice enough guy. i always referred to him as lucifer and made jokes about him being satan. at scribble i joked that i walked into a room and he was hanging upside down from the shower rod and exploded into a pack of bats or some shit. our friend warren, illmac's best friend from OR, was hysterical and joked about max unloading his luggage and it was just a long pitchfork shape for his trident. i wish i had my sj05 recap still. if rm goes backup, someone find that if u remember. it was good.

xt the factor battled a few times with mixed results. did well on the new years card against young nate. very sadly, he had some pretty serious substance abuse issues and unfortunately wound up ODing in the past couple years and is no longer living. he was on some "true life" type shit about substance abuse if you want to google. its sad.

vibe also used to post on rm and was cool. met him at sj05 too. great event.

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #21
Wtchr

Hollow Da Don vs Philly Swain

Hollow Da Don vs Philly Swain
Jan 13, 2009

First battle uploaded hosted by Pumpkinhead. Venue is Fat Beats.

Hollow introduced himself as the one-man pharmacy.

Ok, Philly is funny, "he in the way, like a T-Pain hat at the movies" - it's not like that's supa hot fire but its a funny thing to start off with.

Philly does this good thing for a lot of the first round "famo. I got the ammo, like the code on contra" then he says a bunch of other cool stuff that rhymes with that.

Hollow starts "he grab the M-16, let off the UzI, shit... on Call of Duty" "I'll retire you, maybe I'll hire you. You said you'll beat the dininon.... you liar you!" both these guys are so dope in this. This battle is already a level above everything else I've seen so far. Everything is memorable... Philly's second is doing some "I'm your dad" thing and its hilarious.. I can't just type out everything I like here, it's all good.

Philly might be falling a little behind in the 3rd. Still good. When Philly's 3rd is done someone behind Hollow starts shouting at him about his writing. Philly starts predicting Hollow's rhymes in his third which I take as a sign that he knows he's losing.

OT cause of the fouls. The fouls were Philly predicting shit and Hollow's best friend shouting. Philly's third is good but it doesn't have the same style as his first two rounds. Hollow's OT is meaner and he's probably going to win.

Judging is unanimous for Hollow.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #22
Wtchr

Haze vs Aak

Haze vs Aak
Jan 13, 2009

Oh god, two no-names in a Florida battle. Back to low-expectations after the Hollow/PhillySwain battle. I don't know if I can really see this through to anywhere close to the end. Watching all these lame battles is getting very boring and that feeling is at its worse when a battle starts and the first thing I see is Drect's face and Mosh Jelton doing the "hold it down!" arm-wave behind him. Time for another hot battle.... I dunno, maybe Aak is okay. I have no memory of Haze but apparently he battled twice.

This is the 100th battle Grind Time uploaded.

Both guys are funny and okay but they also struggle and even if they're okay this still isn't good enough to watch under normal circumstances. The audience is laughing hysterically like it's a Louis CK show so this was probably the funniest battle they've ever seen in Florida. This is Just something to do to pass the time. Hip-hop fashions are absolute eye-sores and the sorry collection of wiggers behind Drect is exhibit A. Especially the fucking goof in the extra big blue shirt, swaying back and forth the whole time looking like one of the dudes in Twizted. There's another dickweed in blue swaying back and forth right behind that guy. V-Money is back there and he looks goddammned rediculous.
Old Today, 08:55 AM   #23
irvsykeg

irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
there's like 4 people in GT florida u should watch at most, u can prob skip the whole division they were easily the worst ever. iirc ATM was really funny, u should watch unorthodox phrases once to get a feel for his style so its worth watching him and illusion-z

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #24
Emancee

GT Florida is definitely something to show all those battle rapper isn't as good as it used to be-type fans. The radio of good-trash isn't all that much better in Hat's day then now
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #25
irvsykeg

i disagree but w/e. main thing is the good back then was all diff types of good, now the "good" is the exact same, meaning the good (for me) is trash and played with a handful of unique folks

and florida was easily by far the worst, the other divisions all had SOMETHING