Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
T top Apologises for punchline

Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
T top Apologises for punchline

I dont know how many of you watched the JC vs T top battle but t top used a punchline on a girl that was found dead in a freezer a few month ago in chicago , basically the clip of that punchline went viral and he received threats from battlers from there and people from the city who didn't watch the battle so released an apology on the URL page.

Basically my point is do you think he was right to apologise and should there ever be anything off limits in a battle cause let's be real people have refrenced worse shit all the time.but with it reaching a lot of people who dont really watch or understand it's just a battle i can sort of see why he'd feel the need to apologise.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
corny

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
corny is a PY Poster
if you feel like your life is in danger then I guess you should apologize, but you're right way worse things have been said before so no I don't think he should have to but if you're getting heat outside of the battle scene then I guess its just best that you do.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
he referenced a dead teenager for "bitch" wordplay. lame and tasteless.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
corny

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
corny is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
he referenced a dead teenager for "bitch" wordplay. lame and tasteless.
I haven't watched the battle yet so not aware of the bar but imo most "shock" value bars I hear aren't that great and pretty tasteless
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
JR77

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by corny View Post
I haven't watched the battle yet so not aware of the bar but imo most "shock" value bars I hear aren't that great and pretty tasteless
He just said "they'll find this bitch in the freezer - Kenneka" iirc. Nothing special about it.
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
sleeping dogs

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
sleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australiasleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australia
moral of the story: stop cheaply using current event punchlines for a guaranteed reaction
the market sold imaginations just to keep you in the dark"

top 5: tay roc, tsu surf, hollow, loaded lux, soul
sleeping dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
Sensa had a similar thing with a young boy from Liverpool he referenced who was murdered. Iím of the opinion, say it, then when people want to murder you, apologise.

I.e. say what you want but be prepared for the consequences of those words.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #8
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
Of all the foul shit that's been said in battles, I don't remember anyone having to film an apology after the fact. How come this line is getting more of a backlash than other current event bars people have dropped over the years? Sandy Hook/CT, Eric Garner, Trayvon, Manchester, there's probably someone out there writing Stoneman Douglas bars right now, but they barely get blinked at.

Is it cause he did it on URL and they don't play that? All the shock value bars I recall are usually dropped on other leagues, but then again Arsonal would've probably turned it into a whole scheme at one point in time if he knew it'd get a reaction like what T-Top got in the room. The crowd even said it with him when he ran it back.

Last edited by Triptych; 02-16-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Triptych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
I'm surprised other battlers would shit on him. if it reached outside the world of battle rap and hurt the wrong people it's right to apologize.

the line we draw in battle rap is so weird lolol it must looked fucked to people who don't care about it
JC
All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #10
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Pretty sure rum nitty did one as well wonder if he'll get the same backlash
Old 02-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #11
GetPaid

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
GetPaid is better than Grind Time AustraliaGetPaid is better than Grind Time Australia
There's no set of rules that is completely consistent but imo in battle rap you shouldn't punch down on people who can't defend themselves (people who can defend themselves include battle rappers/battle rap media members/league owners/etc). You can punch up and take a shot at Drake or whatever because it's not going to affect him. But like, going at that dude Nikiya's wife (I already forgot what happened, was it his wife or his daughter?) crosses a line imo.

This T-Top situation reminds me of Lil Wayne apologizing for the Emmett Till line. I'm not against either apology because in both cases I think the rappers were mostly focused on getting a punchline reaction and not considering the people on the other side of the punchline still dealing with the trauma. Neither of them were trying to be dicks so they apologized once they saw the effects their line had.
GetPaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #12
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
Pat stay vs marv was a million times worse than this line.
ICeeZeeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #13
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
a few things:
It is a "if he feels he should" type situation; how we feel is irrelevant

seems these Chicago muhfuckas that are bothered ain't REALLY part of the culture because this was clearly on the PPV WEEKS AGO and due to Top's annoying repeating, it was impossible to have seen this battle and not hear the line so it seems obvious to me that someone told people to go check what he said (point being hes so-called offending people that would/should've never heard it anyway)

third and most importantly-this muhfucka could've avoided ALL OF THIS had he not decided to adopt/borrow/utilize (w/e u wanna call it) the DNA/KShine set-ups , patterns and swag for this battle;nothing good could come from it-that is the real tragedy here
Neanderthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
r3flex

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
r3flex is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping dogs View Post
moral of the story: stop cheaply using current event punchlines for a guaranteed reaction
*charron backs slowly out the room*
r3flex is offline   Reply With Quote