Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Idea: smaller, more frequent events

Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Idea: smaller, more frequent events

one of the reasons i didn't end up buying the url ppv this weekend because of its length. when you're buying a megacard you've basically decided what you're doing for the night because the event's runtimes are wickedhella long.

what if instead of having every event be super time consuming, they did something like

- main event
- mid tier battle
- up-and-comer showcase

it could run for 2-3 hours (far less of a time commitment), cost less, and be far more repeatable than filling out larger cards

obviously amazing events like NOME5 should still happen, but if battle rap has got the live ppv thing down it could allow for smaller-type events like what i'm suggesting. basically i just want to be able to watch an event from like 3-6pm on a weekend and then go about my bidness.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2902 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
Tbh, I love the amount of battles they had at NOME. 5 is perfect. The issue for me is that they had 5 battles and it was over 6 hours. I was updating for battlerap.com at the time and started early, so I was at my computer for around 7 hours. Wayyy too long spent with battle rap on what was a beautiful day here in Calgary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
riffic
RYD ;

riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
Tbh, I love the amount of battles they had at NOME. 5 is perfect. The issue for me is that they had 5 battles and it was over 6 hours. I was updating for battlerap.com at the time and started early, so I was at my computer for around 7 hours. Wayyy too long spent with battle rap on what was a beautiful day here in Calgary.
yeah, it's less the # of battles much as the # of minutes, though those are obviously correlated. i just knew a blockbuster event like that was going to take a longggg time. if there were scaled down events every weekend that only ran a couple of hours i'd probably buy it every time
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1182 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
love the idea, tryin to make b2b sort of be like that, bi-monthly and lower amount of battles...shorter rounds...yadda yadda.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
Toronto
rip bambam

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Toronto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaToronto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaToronto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
totally agree

to be honest ive NEVER bought a ppv for that exact reason. i love battle rap but i cant commit a whole weekend to just sitting there watching hella battles especially during the playoffs.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
this, basically
Quote:
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
Yeah wish I could pretend I had other shit I'd rather do
I mean the cavs in the playoffs so i feel u there but I'm definitely not gonna be lobbying for anybody to give me less battles.

I mean I have had my share of burnout after a crazy battle weekend when kotd does 2 day events or whatever but I don't know that I'd rather they be smaller tho, that's just me

The card this Nome was actually pretty ass on paper and was over by 8:10 so this is what your asking for

Last edited by Neanderthol; 05-11-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Neanderthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
KBomb
2dope4you

Mentioned: 1551 Post(s)
KBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICE
No. This is stupid. If you can't commit 12-15 hours to battle rap then you aren't a true fan #facts

I missed the birth of my child for NOME5 and I wouldn't have it any other way

but con go line made a don demarco come out my speakers for no reason
KBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
WallaceBread
Shit like that

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
WallaceBread is better than Grind Time AntarcticaWallaceBread is better than Grind Time AntarcticaWallaceBread is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Yes, please god. I love being at events, but standing for nine hours is fucking murder on my frail, nerdbird body. Also ppvs are long.
WallaceBread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
love the idea, tryin to make b2b sort of be like that, bi-monthly and lower amount of battles...shorter rounds...yadda yadda.

Then you better drop that price!

Smack gave us a huge card for $30!

Short rounds and less battles so I'm expecting a price drop from y'all now tbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I don't have girls in my bed. I don't bring anyone to my house
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
id imagine its harder for big cards.

for something like hollow vs. clips you need a pretty big venue to make it worthwhile. if you book a venue with like 200 capacity it's gonna be pretty hard to recoup your costs. id have to think the bigger venues that can support these types of events probably require a bigger time commitment than a couple hours to even consider letting you have the space.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
Then you better drop that price!

Smack gave us a huge card for $30!
5 battles for 30 bucks is a huge card? lol
massacre is 30 for 10 battles.
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
id imagine its harder for big cards.

for something like hollow vs. clips you need a pretty big venue to make it worthwhile. if you book a venue with like 200 capacity it's gonna be pretty hard to recoup your costs. id have to think the bigger venues that can support these types of events probably require a bigger time commitment than a couple hours to even consider letting you have the space.
I'm saying this for smaller cards, tho. This isn't about NOME5. if you only rented out a place for a couple hours and had one main event and two decent battles you could scale down the whole operation

I don't know the inner workings of things, but from a fans perspective if there was a solid, quick event every other weekend I'd prob buy it every time. I don't need/want six to eight hours of battles

And like I said in OP this isn't in place of big events, just a supplemental idea
Quote:
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
Crescent Swerve

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Crescent Swerve is a PY Poster
came in to say KOTD Back 2 Basic is exactly that and bi monthly , but im sure its been pointed out in this thread

you post all the time Riffic , know, you already knew that ... just bein ironic or takin at jab at kotd somehow ?
Crescent Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #15
averagejoe

Mentioned: 1159 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
I like people's opinions on improving stuff
We should make an organized thread sometime

Yall 100% on point with the battle length @Seanzo idk if u mean just url but I find just in general battles r too long
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fly View Post
5 battles for 30 bucks is a huge card? lol
massacre is 30 for 10 battles.
Hollow clips roc surf shine verb serius

Yeah name wise..
Quote:
Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #17
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Swerve View Post
came in to say KOTD Back 2 Basic is exactly that and bi monthly , but im sure its been pointed out in this thread

you post all the time Riffic , know, you already knew that ... just bein ironic or takin at jab at kotd somehow ?
are you taking a jab at my use of irony? this would be the most boring satire ever

& i'm talking about scaling it down even more and have it be more frequent... hence 'smaller' and 'more frequent...'
Quote:

Last edited by riffic; 05-11-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #18
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
Hollow clips roc surf shine verb serius

Yeah name wise..
lol different strokes for diff folks i guess
to me they had one big battle - hollow vs clips and some undercards
Mass has 4 big battles and some undercards.
and mass is equal if not better in big names.
Pat, Calicoe, Con, Arsonal, Clips, Shotty, Ill Will, Bigg K, Pass
Old 05-12-2015, 01:23 AM   #19
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Quote:

No doubt some big names on both but Hollow is what sold the PPV if we are being honest here

Edit:

Suggestion for y'all

Step 1. Book Hollow
Step 2: book Diz or pat
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: profit
Quote:
Old 05-12-2015, 01:27 AM   #20
averagejoe

averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
Quote:

king fly i been with yall since the start but not judging anything has really killed the competitive edge (talking for me) and the hype it used to create

weeks before i used to be like ouuuu whos gonna win and u can keep track of whos best and rappers work towards something.. idk its just so much less competitive IMO

i dont want u to rebuttle me i just felt compelled to share
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 AM   #21
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
No doubt some big names on both but Hollow is what sold the PPV if we are being honest here

Edit:

Suggestion for y'all

Step 1. Book Hollow
Step 2: book Diz or pat
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: profit
oh most def - personally i would of paid 30 just for that battle. he's def the biggest name on any of the cards.

i was just meaning 30 for the mass card isnt that bad. i do agree on other events with not that many names it should stay around $15-$20 per ppv
Old 05-12-2015, 01:43 AM   #22
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post
king fly i been with yall since the start but not judging anything has really killed the competitive edge (talking for me) and the hype it used to create

weeks before i used to be like ouuuu whos gonna win and u can keep track of whos best and rappers work towards something.. idk its just so much less competitive IMO

i dont want u to rebuttle me i just felt compelled to share
i feel the same way. i liked the judging and been the one pushing for it to come back in kotd, but not everyone likes the idea.

i thought of a creative way to to bring back judging for wd5 last year, but when we didnt have the event the idea kinda died. and just been way too busy so far this year to put more thought/planning into it for this years
Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 AM   #23
Willy Pilgrim
Banned

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Willy Pilgrim is better than Grind Time AustraliaWilly Pilgrim is better than Grind Time Australia
idea. smaller LESS frequent events.
Willy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #24
Spacelab

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Spacelab is not the worst person
Battling should be like Wrestling.

You get Saturday event every Saturday, sell memberships to keep watching or PPV for individual big events.

But there should be a KOTD weekly battles show.

p.s. - When's battling getting on Netflix?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
averagejoe

Quote:
i feel the same way. i liked the judging and been the one pushing for it to come back in kotd, but not everyone likes the idea.

i thought of a creative way to to bring back judging for wd5 last year, but when we didnt have the event the idea kinda died. and just been way too busy so far this year to put more thought/planning into it for this years

u should try to push it again!

thing with all the controversy when shit was judged, it created soo much discussion, organik took ppl disagreeing as a bad thing but its the internet.. thats when u know ur doing good when every1 arguing about ur content

creating discussion keeps ppl engaged
Old 05-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #26
Beaux Jangles
bojangles snappin!!!

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Beaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
one of the reasons i didn't end up buying the url ppv this weekend because of its length. when you're buying a megacard you've basically decided what you're doing for the night because the event's runtimes are wickedhella long.

what if instead of having every event be super time consuming, they did something like

- main event
- mid tier battle
- up-and-comer showcase

it could run for 2-3 hours (far less of a time commitment), cost less, and be far more repeatable than filling out larger cards

obviously amazing events like NOME5 should still happen, but if battle rap has got the live ppv thing down it could allow for smaller-type events like what i'm suggesting. basically i just want to be able to watch an event from like 3-6pm on a weekend and then go about my bidness.
you bought blackout and spent the majority of the weekend watchin it...just say what we all know already!!!
GoldRaffleBojangles,SnowsCastleBojangles,QuoteSnap pleBojangles,ClothesNaturalBojangles,BrosBlackHole Bojangles,PulpedMangosBojangles,WroteDjangoBojangl es,SoakedFlannelBojangles,RogueAngelBojangles,Home NashvilleBojangles,CrowsHateLawsBojangles,ToveAvri lBojangles,ThrowShrapnelBojangles,GrossRainbowBoja ngles,NoRacialBojangles,RomeStatueBojangles
Beaux Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaux Jangles View Post
you bought blackout and spent the majority of the weekend watchin it...just say what we all know already!!!
I learned from the experience!!!!
Quote:
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #28
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
You take a dangerous gamble by relying on only 2 top-tier guys to carry each event. Literally no acclaimed battler unites everyone. A Lot of people would travel to watch Charlie Clips but I wouldn't watch him if he battled on my street, BUT if Clips was partaking in an event with Illmaculate I might travel a fair distance to watch an event with Clips, as would Clips fans who don't appreciate Illmaculate. You gotta diversify your risks, it's like hedging your bets.

What if the 1 or 2 mega-matches are disappointments? The event is then an unmitigated failure, whereas if you offer 5 mega-matches, history tells us that at least 1 will be marketable.

Let me get my accountancy on. Throwing a multitude of events, as opposed to several, necessitates higher overhead expenditure, because instead of paying for venue hire/promotion/logistics/staging/insurance/ticket provision etc several times, you're paying those indirect costs 10-20 times, without really raising output necessary to dilute those costs. And you'd probably have to employ people on full-time contracts which is more expensive and burdensome than hiring people on temporary deals. Now people will argue "but more events means more repeated ticket payments!", but I think the prices would have to plummet relative to the reduced and inferior offering, who's gonna pay BO5 prices for a 3 battle event?

I think the same goes for PPV. I'm not gonna sacrifice my cash for a series of events that I only like 25% of the time. However I might pay for a package consisting of several events that are guaranteed to include battlers I like.

Also if you do any activity ultra frequently, the activity loses some value. If you went to restaurants every week the outings would stop feeling like special occasions. Well if events were more regular the anticipation might not be so exhilarating, and the lust might not be so fervent.

I agree the Blackouts have too many battles, and obviously the events need to managed more efficaciously, but yet more events is the last thing we need.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #29
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
To expand on that idea: with the exception of the Paid Dues thing with GT, has there ever been any kind of traveling battle rap event? Not like auditions or what have you. Maybe a couple of well-knowns, then some mid-tier and a few hometown names on each bill. You could create a Godzilla/King of the Monsters flyer with cities being leveled.

In the vein of small events. Perhaps hit a handful of big cities. KOTD Over the Border Tour. URL All City Tour. Something like that
grandgroove is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
facts