Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Battle rap nostalgia thread

Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Battle rap nostalgia thread

Recently, I realized that "old battles" give me strong nostalgia. And since battle rap is such an in-the-moment scene, we could use a thread to dump/discuss our retrospection.

Also, shoutout to everyone who still posts here, funds the site, etc. It's great to see you guys still use the forum even with the declining activity. I haven't been watching much battle rap outside of the big URL events, and posts here keep in the loop whenever I log in.

Anyway...

@LukeWaltonisGoat put Troy Brown in his top 10 and reminded me of how fire he was. This had to be my most rewatched battle of the year when it dropped. And DF was so good at putting on events that were fun to watch. They really had something marketable and special going on. Sucks they never capitalized.

Last edited by peace; 08-11-2020 at 04:41 PM.
peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Troy Brown vs Dirt and all of his 2on2s incl. Roosevelt do it for me
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
bobbylight

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
A straight murder of the most hated dude in battle rap back in the day. I have no idea why I hated illusion z so much, but nothing made me happier than cruger just destroying him.

bobbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:26 AM   #4
Profess
I'm Lovin' It

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This wasn't too long ago at all but Diz vs Soul Khan was a train wreck of historic proportion. Next time, I'm feeling campy.. on it goes
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:41 AM   #5
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThaDiz is not the worst person
Them KOTD world dom 2 days were the ones, me n my boy who used to live together at the time met up over the weekend n had a smoke n a old battles watching sesh, was a good evening. We were both debating if Pat could even halfway get away with those Marv/Thesaurus performances today without getting made "viral" and cancelled" for it or whatever y'all call it. That Cruger post made me rewatch Cruger/Thesaurus n Diz vs Canibus too. Has Canibus been heard from since or did that finish him off? Thas enough of me rambling for now but blessed for the thread, them warm feels.
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #6
KBomb
2dope4you

Mentioned: 1553 Post(s)
KBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICE
i remember being at the early world doms and seeing some of the classics, pesci/ness, bender/illmac, was in the room for pat/marv, etc. the west coast had those events just overflowing with energy, botb5, vendetta, even that one where rone battled 360 was lit

those old GTNY events were nuts too, pesh/DNA and shit like that

those were the days. maybe we've just gotten older but it just doesn't seem to hit the same way these days

but con go line made a don demarco come out my speakers for no reason

Last edited by KBomb; 08-12-2020 at 07:15 PM.
KBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #7
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThaDiz is not the worst person
Also real old school jump off days! Iron solomon vs The Saurus n what not, I also remember watching Stig vs Asher D on proxy sites to get through the school filtering haha. Really grew up watching battle rap man haha.
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
I remember back in the day being so impressed with how diz handled battling in NY during grind time against swave. “Peep up and watch Adam and Eve FUCK”

I remember liking kid twist just roasting everybody.

As far as my battle rap taste goes... watching verb vs Sb, verb vs hollow, hollow vs pass and lux vs miles were very enjoyable.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will

Last edited by Abstrakt; 08-13-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
I remember back in the day being so impressed with how diz handled battling in NY during grind time against swave. “Peep up and watch Adam and Eve FUCK”
that is a genuine classic from Diz and you quoted the best line

what else from Grindtime, Arsonal v Con never gets old, and I'm not even a fan of Arsonal.

from KOTD? Nils M/ Skils vs Rone is one of the most slept on IMHO

the entire URL event w/ Soul Khan v Deacon Frost, Yung Ill v Tsu Surf and Hollow Da Don v Big T

Bill Collector vs Qleen Paper? fuck outta here, that "Put ya face in ya chest - now ya breastfeedin'" is still one of the most layered and out of the box haymakers online

there isn't a lot happening these days that compares to the olden days

Last edited by Feral Linguist; 08-16-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
Water Mage

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
When it comes to battle rap nostalgia, I could say a lot of things, but I'm just gonna say 2009. Amazing year for me, battle raps recent history, present and future was were all really exciting. Plus just a cool vibe in the air that went beyond battle rap. I think the thing I liked about early grind time / KOTD, as well as WRC was that it really took you to a different place and really brought you into the moment. I always liked the early KOTD / Fresh Coast / WRC / Jungle stuff the best. It actually felt like you were there in the crowd, and the crazy characters you got introduced to reminds me of partying and meeting all kind of weirdos as well as some cool people and laughing about the antics of the night / discussing it with my best friend on the walk / drive home. Fresh coast scene in particular gave me a window to a new world that was familiar and yet exotic to me and tricked my mind into thinking I was there. It made me regret not growing up in Cali and yet grateful that I at least got a simulation of it.

Battle rap was best when everyone was riding the wave together and just stoked about the future, or even just the next battle. Then it became too routine, stage battles robbed it of the magic it once had, and the idealism and purity of it was lost.

Last edited by Water Mage; 08-20-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:15 AM   #11
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
When it comes to battle rap nostalgia, I could say a lot of things, but I'm just gonna say 2009. Amazing year for me, battle raps recent history, present and future was were all really exciting. Plus just a cool vibe in the air that went beyond battle rap. I think the thing I liked about early grind time / KOTD, as well as WRC was that it really took you to a different place and really brought you into the moment. I always liked the early KOTD / Fresh Coast / WRC / Jungle stuff the best. It actually felt like you were there in the crowd, and the crazy characters you got introduced to reminds me of partying and meeting all kind of weirdos as well as some cool people and laughing about the antics of the night / discussing it with my best friend on the walk / drive home. Fresh coast scene in particular gave me a window to a new world that was familiar and yet exotic to me and tricked my mind into thinking I was there. It made me regret not growing up in Cali and yet grateful that I at least got a simulation of it.

Battle rap was best when everyone was riding the wave together and just stoked about the future, or even just the next battle. Then it became too routine, stage battles robbed it of the magic it once had, and the idealism and purity of it was lost.
I definitely agree with this. Most of the other elements of hip hop are going through the same problem at the moment: a general style that is designed to appeal to most of the audience most of the time has emerged. People seem genuinely scared to try anything too new, so instead we get the same generic style every battle.

What brought me in was the Fresh Coast movement because they had these weird styles and, even if I didn't like them, they made me want to watch to see how these styles would work when put together. Then the URL stylists would come with their completely different approach and the style clashes would be so interesting.

Back in the days, I couldn't wait to debate results like Pesci vs. DNA, NoCanDo (pre-sellout) vs. DBD, Hollohan vs. Twist etc. because it was fun arguing whether multis should beat jokes, gun bars should beat lyricism, rap should beat character etc. Now it's basically did this guy do the generic style better than his opponent?

I really like the party comment because that was kinda it. It felt like you were watching a party and, sure, some people didn't get it or made idiots of themselves, but at the end of the day it was all fun. Current rap is like a party full of the guys from my office, lol, everyone dressed the same from the same background and worried about doing anything too crazy because it might upset the boss...
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...

Last edited by Emancee; 08-21-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
Water Mage

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
I definitely agree with this. Most of the other elements of hip hop are going through the same problem at the moment: a general style that is designed to appeal to most of the audience most of the time has emerged. People seem genuinely scared to try anything too new, so instead we get the same generic style every battle.

What brought me in was the Fresh Coast movement because they had these weird styles and, even if I didn't like them, they made me want to watch to see how these styles would work when put together. Then the URL stylists would come with their completely different approach and the style clashes would be so interesting.

Back in the days, I couldn't wait to debate results like Pesci vs. DNA, NoCanDo (pre-sellout) vs. DBD, Hollohan vs. Twist etc. because it was fun arguing whether multis should beat jokes, gun bars should beat lyricism, rap should beat character etc. Now it's basically did this guy do the generic style better than his opponent?

I really like the party comment because that was kinda it. It felt like you were watching a party and, sure, some people didn't get it or made idiots of themselves, but at the end of the day it was all fun. Current rap is like a party full of the guys from my office, lol, everyone dressed the same from the same background and worried about doing anything too crazy because it might upset the boss...

Loved this whole post, and yeah, that "party full of guys from my office" is on point.

I'll take the analogy a step further and say it's like everyone you work with is trying to stay sober and maintain an air of professionalism but it just makes the conversation feel way too tense, serious, formal and dry. Worst part is the party is way too long and you just want it to end so you can go home and put on some classic G funk, dance around and enjoy your buzz.

See this is why I am an unapologetic fan of Dizaster -- At least he is the one guy.... The one fucking guy who shows up to that boring party and still doesn't give a fuck.. Everybody condemns his actions but are secretly happy he is there to liven up the party and give them a topic to gossip about But not just him, take someone like Illusion Z -- total nerd, made a fool of himself in a way, but he made the party better just by waving his lanky ass arms around and putting himself out there, as cringe as it was we wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah I loved the different styles that people had, basically people were just being themselves and the battles were organic in that they felt like an extension of the social environment around them

Battling in 2009 Grind time and KOTD: Bunch of dudes taking bong rips and shotgunning beers, telling each other what they look like and laughing hysterically

A few years later: Bunch of hipsters discussing craft beers and discussing the virtues of various terpenes found in weed and the correct temperature to vape the weed at in order to selectively target those terpenes

I love the cartoony imagery of fresh coast battles as well as people like conceited If I had animation skills I would just create a cartoon version of each battle depicting everything that their rhymes make me visualize in my head
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #13
Slug2003

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Slug2003 is not the worst person
I went to pretty much every battle event in the Bay Area from Battle of the Bay 1 until it stopped being fun. For me the big change was when they started to sell VIP tickets for $100+ in order to get to hang out with the rappers. Prior to that you could count on meeting and hanging out with everybody on the card, it was much more chill. I think it was probably the PPV aspect that forced everything to become more business like. Everything had to be more organized and focused as the revenue stream shifted from the live tickets to the PPV buys. Anybody ever see AVOCADO in here still?
Slug2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #14
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
I think it really evolved to be like a business because people started demanding money. I don't mean a few hundred bucks but a thousand or so. When that changed they had to charge the fans to see them. It costs money to film and fly people out. Events that basically just had to take in money for a venue charge ended up costing a ton of money. I had the most fun at all the BOTB series I went to. BOTB2 the best. It was just a fun time where you tried to make each other laugh and no one took themselves seriously. Nowadays I just don't see the love there that was there 10 years ago. Very few have it still. Diz is at that level but three rounds of wordplay and no jokes just isn't me.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:05 AM   #15
Feral Linguist
otbva

Cool

may be too soon but I gotta consider everything at BLACK STAR VIDEO to be nostalgia-worthy these days.... so many of the greatest URL battles, whether one-sided or not

Loaded Lux vs Midwest Miles
Chilla Jones vs JC
Ty Law vs Sno
Gjonaj vs Gutta
B-Magic vs Ty Law
Illanoiz vs Pirana

plus ridiculous bodybags and hilarious humiliation like Ill Will bodying Johnnie Alcatraz, the Yaboyclip battle getting trolled by the crowd for the pauseworthy bars

EVERYTHING above has such insane replay value to me

all of the Lionz' Den battles on top of that

this was by far the best venue on film, in my opinion, just the vibe, when everybody was hype and participating well, the hosts and the crowd

and a step further, just the old Proving Grounds in general, Qleen Paper vs Rosenberg Raw?

anyone like to add some other battles or moments I've forgotten? @Emancee ?

Last edited by Feral Linguist; 08-23-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #16
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
may be too soon but I gotta consider everything at BLACK STAR VIDEO to be nostalgia-worthy these days.... so many of the greatest URL battles, whether one-sided or not

Loaded Lux vs Midwest Miles
Chilla Jones vs JC
Ty Law vs Sno
Gjonaj vs Gutta
B-Magic vs Ty Law
Illanoiz vs Pirana

plus ridiculous bodybags and hilarious humiliation like Ill Will bodying Johnnie Alcatraz, the Yaboyclip battle getting trolled by the crowd for the pauseworthy bars

EVERYTHING above has such insane replay value to me

all of the Lionz' Den battles on top of that

this was by far the best venue on film, in my opinion, just the vibe, when everybody was hype and participating well, the hosts and the crowd

and a step further, just the old Proving Grounds in general, Qleen Paper vs Rosenberg Raw?

anyone like to add some other battles or moments I've forgotten? @Emancee ?
did you mean b magic vs qleen instead of magic vs law?

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 08-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 945 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
Quote:
did you mean b magic vs qleen instead of magic vs law?
Magic vs Qleen was a Detroit PG
SonnyDaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #18
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Magic vs Qleen was a Detroit PG
oh my b, thought he was listing small room battles. i have to see magic vs law; didnt know that happened

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 08-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #19
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
I miss going to Grind Time events in Orlando so so so much. Old school battles for the win.

Due to my current level of weekend drinking I think I’ll watch an ATM battle I saw live, vs Farnum:

Live events are so damn fun. Miss them like crazy.
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
oh my b, thought he was listing small room battles. i have to see magic vs law; didnt know that happened
nah I was referring specifically to stuff at the Black Star in Manhattan

cool that you haven't seen Ty Law v Magic yet, I think it happened in 2016? Even though I am a huge Magic fan it isn't the dopest battle ever, but worth a few listens for sure
Old 08-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #21
Slug2003

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Slug2003 is not the worst person
I remember being at this battle event called Straight Gassin in San Leandro at a clothing store called TFK clothing. It was a ground zero event but lookin back at the card, it had some early battles from guys like Madflex, KG the Poet, and Megadef. Lush was hosting this event along with Malathion and Christian 818. Early in the day I saw Lush with a big bottle of cough syrup making cups of lean for people. He gave a cup to D Wiggins and quickly Wiggins was on full tilt. He kept on leaning in on the G4 vs Mantix battle and when Mantix went to spit his first round Wiggins yelled BOOOOOO. He got thown out, you can see a small gap in the footage around 3:47. I asked Wiggins about it later and he didn't remember any of it.
Slug2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #22
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
nah I was referring specifically to stuff at the Black Star in Manhattan

cool that you haven't seen Ty Law v Magic yet, I think it happened in 2016? Even though I am a huge Magic fan it isn't the dopest battle ever, but worth a few listens for sure
now that i think about it, i DID see part of law vs magic... i remember lux clowning verb pre-battle and i remember that "brake n cruise up like loyalty" line by law

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will

Last edited by Abstrakt; 08-24-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #23
Feral Linguist
otbva

Magic comin outta them sneaks like Bow Wow in Like Mike

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221