Watching all GT battles from oldest to newest

Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #161
Wtchr

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Childs vs Rugged

Childs vs Rugged
Dec 25, 2008

It's Christmas Day, 2008, and Drect is uploading Childs vs Rugged to youtube. Something for the Ghost of Christmas past to show him if he's ever in a 'A Christmas Carol' type of situation.

Childs second one on one... Rugged's debut. I dunno, at this point when I see its a Florida battle I feel down and I hesitate to watch. Maybe it'll be different once 24/7 enters the scene or Kap Kallous takes over managing the events.

Childs first wasn't bad. Rugged's not bad either but neither's great... Not hearing much to comment on. Rugged said Childs is so poor Angelina Jolie would'nt adopt him. There's got a be a better angle to an Angelina Jolie adoption line then that. Didn't she adopt the poorest kids in the world?

Rugged starts his second with a Pac Man bit about swallowing balls that I'm positive I've heard somewhere else.

Childs said "throw your lungs in the air make you catch your breath" - it's ok

Childs has two girls with him and Rugged took advantage of that pretty bad.

At some point in the 3rd CHild's shouted that Rugged copied a line from Mook.

Rugged won
Wtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #162
iamHBY

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This is a fun thread.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #163
Blaze Won
Gravy Crockett

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Blaze Won is not the worst person
haha this us dope. please dont be too harsh on my trash b
Old 09-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #164
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
quality thread OP
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #165
Profess
I'm Lovin' It

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I'm curious how many views this thread will rack up when all is said and done.
@Blaze Won when you battled in GTN vs Fish Greese. Was that battle in Houston? And if so, what division of Grind time was that in? Earlier in this thread when we mentioned divisions.. I don't think Texas was mentioned. I'll have to check.

Also, it would be interesting in the guys getting critiqued here had a chance to respond.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #166
Profess
I'm Lovin' It

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
One of these guys must have had some traction outside of GT I'm guessing.
Considering most of these guys perform under pen names. Any suggestions on how to find out who they are and invite them to this forum/ thread?

I ask that above in general, but specifically, to the comment I just quoted... I'd like to know what the outside traction is one of these battlers might have.

This thread could be a book. Have you read #Bars by Ryan O'leary? Or seen the thread about that on this site?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #167
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
"Childs said "throw your lungs in the air make you catch your breath" - it's ok"

everybody has said that at some point i think. apollo basically only says this

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #168
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
Considering most of these guys perform under pen names. Any suggestions on how to find out who they are and invite them to this forum/ thread?

I ask that above in general, but specifically, to the comment I just quoted... I'd like to know what the outside traction is one of these battlers might have.

This thread could be a book. Have you read #Bars by Ryan O'leary? Or seen the thread about that on this site?
I don't know if you meant for me to answer or for someone else. I'm not hunting people down to see if they want to join in and reminisce but there must be somone on here connected to some of these dudes.

With regards to that particular battle the reason for the traction I mentioned was because Iceman Etika later was a well known gamer and social media prankster or something and he killed himself earlier this year. I remember hearing about it but I didn't recognize the name when I saw the battle.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #169
Wtchr

Quote:
Also, it would be interesting in the guys getting critiqued here had a chance to respond.
I don't really mean for this to be a critique. I'm more or less just reporting a few impressions of each battle. I'm not knowledgeable enough in this to really give a critique of these guys. They can respond though, at any time, they just need to show up here!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #170
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
"Childs said "throw your lungs in the air make you catch your breath" - it's ok"

everybody has said that at some point i think. apollo basically only says this
I'm not surprised that its the kind of thing everyone says. It sounds cool the first time you hear it though!
Old 09-25-2019, 04:39 AM   #171
Profess
I'm Lovin' It

Quote:
I don't really mean for this to be a critique. I'm more or less just reporting a few impressions of each battle. I'm not knowledgeable enough in this to really give a critique of these guys. They can respond though, at any time, they just need to show up here!
I'm looking forward to keep on reading your opinions. When you gives us an inch we want a mile (pause) What I mean is that, I don't expect you go out and find past battlers to chime in here.. that is def asking to much. I'm just throwing it out in the either in case someone is lurking
Old 09-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #172
Wtchr

Cortez vs Jazzy Tech

Cortez vs Jazzy Tech
Dec 27 2008

Impromptu battle. Cortez original opponent no showed. Another battle where the sun's right in Jaze Juce's eyes and he's got his hand over his face the whole time. Could they have changed positions?

Jazzy Tech is nonsense. Was he even a rapper? His 1st round was literally about how he wasn't making sense and he never battled before and he was nervous. Just a punching bag for Cortez whos sounding like a pro. Very uneven battle.

Jazzy Tech does a little better in his third but he's nowhere near on Cortez's level and during Cortez's third Tech starts acting out being shot and choked and shit while Cortex does his gun/murder rhymes. Jazzy made it easy for Tez.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #173
Wtchr

Quote:
I'm looking forward to keep on reading your opinions. When you gives us an inch we want a mile (pause) What I mean is that, I don't expect you go out and find past battlers to chime in here.. that is def asking to much. I'm just throwing it out in the either in case someone is lurking
Honestly I would love it if some of these guys would come in and share a little GT lore. Especially some of these rappers that showed up for a few battles and seemed to drop out permanently.

So far in 2008 most of the battlers that have appeared on GT have battled one time only.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:17 AM   #174
Wtchr

Jaze Juce vs Okwerdz

Jaze Juce vs Okwerdz
Dec 27 2008

West Coast battle from the same event as Dumb vs Tantrum and Saurus vs Diz. All these legend battles just happening in a park.

Lush starts the battle by saying these two guys hate eachother. I don't know anything about that background so I don't know what to make of it really. First Okwerdz says 'fuck a coin toss Ima go first' then Jaze goes "toss the coin cause I want to go first" jaze won the coin toss and gives a history lesson where I don't get any of the references or meaning. "Lets take it back to 2004"
then "you isolated scribble jam from black people." I don't know what any of this is supposed to mean but I guess Okwerdz is enough of a vet at this point that he can be the subject of GT's first 'this is your life' style round in his GTN debut.

Okwerdz sounds like he's doing the exact same style he did later vs Real Deal and Rone, where he flopped, but its hitting hard against Jaze. He's making Jaze sound like a huge loser and Frankie Wapps is looking like a dork shaking his head in the background while everyone else is cheering Ok on. He did the "you'll never get a pizza job, not with that delivery" line that I thought I heard somewhere else. Either someone else does that line or I've seen this before and that's all I remember. His "you're not number 10 in this park" bit was good.

Okwerdz Spends half his first round saying "Lemme guess, I look like this mixed with this, etc etc" immitating what he says is Jaze's style. It amounts to Ok spending like half a round not saying anything, because he could stretch something like that out for a long time, but it ended up being effective because in later rounds when Jaze goes off on a multi-syllabic rhymefest Ok does this 'wrap it up' hand jesture and you know he's doing it to point out that this is just what he meant in his first round.

Jaze isn't bad but Ok is killing him and the fact that the crowd is on his side while Wapps is in the back looking like a jealous ex booing and shit is making this whole thing look pretty lopsided in Ok's favour. Ok stumbled a bit through his third but there's no question he looks way better overall in this.

OT round. The whole battle is promo so they volunteered to OT. Banter between Wapps and Ok before the OT starts about how OK has never been to Yonkers. Right right.

Jaze OT was pretty intense, honestly. His best round.

Ok said he was a real rapper with a real career who makes real music. It sounds like it might have been true then but has he kept that going?
Old 09-26-2019, 02:51 AM   #175
Tecnik

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tecnik is not the worst person
You should embed the battle videos into ur posts. I actually want to rewatch Ok vs. Jaze now but not as much as I don't want to navigate to youtube and searching for it right now. I'm skrugglin.
Tecnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:39 AM   #176
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Honestly I would love it if some of these guys would come in and share a little GT lore. Especially some of these rappers that showed up for a few battles and seemed to drop out permanently.

So far in 2008 most of the battlers that have appeared on GT have battled one time only.
I was at every GT westcoast event outside of a few of the LA ones for the first couple years of GT. Anything/anyone you're particularly interested in knowing about?

the jaze/okwerdz beef started during the 2nd WRC's, Okwerdz had a weekly blog where he'd talk shit and he picked on Jaze a fair amount for his style, which Okwerdz basically said was poorly bit from thesaurus and other multi heavy west coast guys.
mapleleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #177
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
I don't know what any of this is supposed to mean
Haha, you've come to the first battle where you need to know the background and something about both rappers to appreciate most of it.

Quote:
Lush starts the battle by saying these two guys hate eachother. I don't know anything about that background so I don't know what to make of it really.
On WDC's round-up show, Okwerdz had a weekly rant where he would complain about something that he wasn't feeling (Like people getting overly hype etc.). For all the other weeks, he kept it somewhat vague, but right after Wapps and Juce won the NY division, Okwerdz had a huge rant where he showed clips of Wapps and Juce and complained about rappers overusing multis to the point of redundancy.

Juce took it personally (as anyone who posts here regularly knows, he doesn't take criticism well, lol) and was down to fight, but instead they decided to have a battle in the park, but the tension is because genuinely people were expecting them to start swinging at any time.

Quote:
Okwerdz Spends half his first round saying "Lemme guess, I look like this mixed with this, etc etc" immitating what he says is Jaze's style. It amounts to Ok spending like half a round not saying anything, because he could stretch something like that out for a long time, but it ended up being effective because in later rounds when Jaze goes off on a multi-syllabic rhymefest Ok does this 'wrap it up' hand jesture and you know he's doing it to point out that this is just what he meant in his first round.
This also started on the WRC's show. Okwerdz kept doing an impression of Juce by rhyming nonsensical multis. I wish they had that show because he did a hilariously accurate impression of Juce's freestyles. It was a call back to that.

Quote:
then "you isolated scribble jam from black people."
Basically Scribble Jam went from an event with black people attending, to a sudden transformation to a bunch of nerds that were so white (Sage Famous, brrrrr....) that even I -with my Scots-Irish blood- would bully them for being pasty, lol.

Obviously, Ok was more a symptom than a cause, but that is the origin of that angle.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #178
irvsykeg

irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
the folks above summarized it well. i want to add that okwerdz was absolutely correct in calling out their biting of that style because they 100% did (as did many others) and fucking sucked at it.

i'd also add that a lot of us piled on, esp me, back on the old boards which were super active and populated by many current battlers, including jaze and wapps. so they absolutely felt the heat of folks "hating" on them which likely made for a more charged atmosphere and a lot of it was done by ppl on or affiliated with the west coast.

also props to jaze and wapps for going into "enemy territory" only 2 deep and giving birth to the iconic phrase WE COME DOLO TO YO HOOD! which i can only assume means DOUBLE SOLO! oh also, an alligator YOU BELEIEEVEDWASALAAAWG

jaze scribble shit was corny and made no sense. awk crushed em. west coast 100% nowhere near biased as people think. if people do good, people cheer. check jaze and wapps vs. dum and saht and see the love they get. jazes rounds got progressively worse, IMO.

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #179
Wtchr

Was Ok a big deal in the pre GT world? He's talking about a gold record and he did the WRC wrap-up show (I only really watched the Kid Twist/Porich videos from ). He must have had some clout back then?

How do people rate Ok at this stage in GT? I remember someone saying something about Okwerdz being one of those people who was good in the on-beat/freestyle battles but couldn't adapt to this format. I would have seen his battles from Arsonal on and it seemed like he just got worse and worse each battle and when I read that comment about him not adapting I thought 'that's probably right'. The only thing is I thought he was pretty good vs Jaze.

a couple things about Jaze performance: I'm no civil rights activist but I don't really like watching one white rapper tell another white rapper that black people don't like them, re: "isolated black people from scribble jam" line.

Something I wanted to comment on, that stood out to me as weird, but I held back cause I thought maybe I'm just ignorant - Jaze says something about cooking lettuce. I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever made a recipe that included cooked lettuce and I don't even think I've ever had a meal that included cooked lettuce. I've had stuff that's lettuce-like, like bok-choi, cooked... but is cooking lettuce something italians do?
Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 AM   #180
irvsykeg

okwerdz was a known name from the freestyle era and he was very good at that. he had a lot of footage online when lots of folks didn't, did well, and interacted online. he was definitely a bigger name than jaze and absolutely a vet in rap battles, and definitely the west coast. battling was a lot smaller back then, but this battle had considerable hype, largely in part due to the beef, but also because okwerdz was a big enough name. he had a gold plaque in australia with a big group out there called the hilltop hoods. song is tight. he also got the unsigned hype column in the source which is a really cool accomplishment.

at this stage, i'd probably say your gist is correct, although people like me would've been saying he'd kill jaze, because he would. it sucks RM shit the bed because it was super easy to pull up threads from that time period and you could see what everyone said.

the black people genius line was terrible on all angles, not correct, and SJ was as white as can be forever.

im too lazy to watch the battle but the lettuce line was his corny angle where he had "lettuce and veal" with "irrelevant spiels" right? i think that was just another example of poor writing on jaze's part. mighta been spaghetti and veal, idk. timestamp me!

Last edited by irvsykeg; 09-27-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #181
Wtchr

Lil Farnum vs Sean Kush
Dec 31, 2008

A FL battle with Lil Farnum named in the video title as the youngest battle rapper. Drect hosting - says its the last battle of 2008 and 2009 is going to be about quality control. We'll see.

UPloaded on New Years Eve 2008.

Farnum is 14, I guess he really is the youngest. He's good, for a Florida rapper, in this.

Sean Kush is saying he's 0-2 but I don't remember seeing him before. Oh, he battled Hardkore in one of the many FL battles I've already completely forgotten.

Farnum is reminding us he's 14 as much he can. He's called himself a child in the first and second round. He called for a GT tryout bracket. A very good idea as long as those battles aren't in this channel.

Kush is choking in his second, and he's doing gay lines and reverts to 'he can't handle the kush' whenever he needs to fill a couple seconds.

Farnum's performance style is pretty developed and he doesn't have a 14 year old's voice. He's definitely a frontrunner in FL for what that's worth. FL, at the end of 2008, by far has the weakest, shallowest talent pool of all the divisions. Fresco on his own raises the midwest above Florida.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 AM   #182
Wtchr

Here's some details on GT at the end of 2008.

They posted 90 proper battles on their channel. They posted some other stuff I didn't watch, like some WRC leftovers and clips from some on-beat battle night.

By the end of 2008:

Florida had 55 battles with 1,379,458 views (my stats are a little skewed cause I'm only counting pt1s of 2 part battles but whatever, I'm not doing an academic media studies research project here). 20 of those battles have fewer than 10k views. The highest viewed Florida battle was Lush One vs Orthodox Phrases. The second highest battle was Lil 8th Ave vs Revanon which had 'rapper pulled gun in battle' in the video title. The third highest was Mosh Jelton vs Johnny Storm.

Mosh Jelton has the most battles in 2008, he battled eight times.

There were three Midwest battles posted, but there were no MW battles before December 16th of that year.

I have only two Northwest battles... is that right?

13 NY battles, starting from September 15. They earned 947,489 views during those four months.

17 West Coast battles. They earned 4,501,817 views since their first battle was posted on September 17.

99 rappers appeared on Grind Time in 2008. 61 of those rappers appeared in only one battle.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:25 AM   #183
irvsykeg

cool breakdown and stats for the year. gtnw was a relatively new addition and also very small. so yeah, that account is prob accurate.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #184
Action Jackson
5-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Action Jackson is not the worst person
There's some dope ones on this list no doubt about that
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #185
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Jaze says something about cooking lettuce. I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever made a recipe that included cooked lettuce and I don't even think I've ever had a meal that included cooked lettuce. I've had stuff that's lettuce-like, like bok-choi, cooked... but is cooking lettuce something italians do?
Hahahaha! You need to step your late 90s early 00s whiteboy slang up. Lettuce was tongue in cheek slang for flowing well.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Old 09-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #186
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Hahahaha! You need to step your late 90s early 00s whiteboy slang up. Lettuce was tongue in cheek slang for flowing well.
He said something like 'cooking lettuce and veal'. Is veal also some early 00's slang though?
Old 09-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #187
Emancee

Quote:
He said something like 'cooking lettuce and veal'. Is veal also some early 00's slang though?
Actually no that is just terrible.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #188
irvsykeg

he was trying to reference Italian stereotypes but isn't a very good writer. him and i are very good friends IRL so maybe i'll ask him

Old 09-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #189
Tecnik

Quote:
west coast 100% nowhere near biased as people think. if people do good, people cheer. check jaze and wapps vs. dum and saht and see the love they get. jazes rounds got progressively worse, IMO.
Cali crowds have the best energy IMO, but the bias is as real as any other region. People hate on NY crowds for booing, but I'd much rather have people be honest about some shit being trash than to gas it. All that leads to is more shit bars being written in the future.

Have watched battles with dudes from the west battling out of towners where dude from west is fucking TERRIBLE but is getting Christian818-watching-Canibus level reactions from the hometown crowd. This has happened in almost every battle I've seen Frank Stacks participate in. Legitimately one of the worst battle rappers of all time, but somehow is held in high regard out there (unless I've been trolled). No quotables EVER. All I can remember is that he said faggot about 30 times in a 60 second round, wore his hat like someone tried to slap it off him prior, and always had sunglasses on Tony Ferguson style.

The west (and perhaps no coast) also likes to allow people who should never rap to participate. There is no chance that Andy Milonakis, Andre Legacy, Simon Rex, Mickey Avalon, etc etc would ever be allowed to rhyme 2 words together anywhere else. Perhaps it was a bit of a "maybe we can piggyback some of the attention that these imbeciles are getting for some reason", but I will never be able to forgive that shit. Remember when Tiger Ty was a thing?

Sorry, got a little OT there.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #190
irvsykeg

Quote:
Cali crowds have the best energy IMO, but the bias is as real as any other region. People hate on NY crowds for booing, but I'd much rather have people be honest about some shit being trash than to gas it. All that leads to is more shit bars being written in the future.
ny crowds would boo or no-sell decent lines specifically because of who the person was, not because the lines sucked. that's bias.

you say cali crowds cheer for wack shit from hometowners. i don't agree it's that much of an issue, def not more than other regions. but the issue isn't if they go crazy for local shit, it's if they'd purposely do less for out of towners ,and they wouldn't. eurgh vs evil, real deal vs ex-i, ars for okwerdz, jaze vs okwerdz, hollow vs pass, etc. tons of battles, big, meaningful ones, where they cheered equally for visitor (they didn't go crazy for lots of ex-i's shit either).

" wore his hat like someone tried to slap it off him prior, and always had sunglasses on Tony Ferguson style."

lmao

The west (and perhaps no coast) also likes to allow people who should never rap to participate. There is no chance that Andy Milonakis, Andre Legacy, Simon Rex, Mickey Avalon, etc etc would ever be allowed to rhyme 2 words together anywhere else. Perhaps it was a bit of a "maybe we can piggyback some of the attention that these imbeciles are getting for some reason", but I will never be able to forgive that shit. Remember when Tiger Ty was a thing?

cmon dog they weren't in the main events battling diz and shit LOL and simon rex went on to star as lush one so whatever, he was getting into the role early

Old 09-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #191
Tecnik

Quote:
ny crowds would boo or no-sell decent lines specifically because of who the person was, not because the lines sucked. that's bias.

you say cali crowds cheer for wack shit from hometowners. i don't agree it's that much of an issue, def not more than other regions. but the issue isn't if they go crazy for local shit, it's if they'd purposely do less for out of towners ,and they wouldn't. eurgh vs evil, real deal vs ex-i, ars for okwerdz, jaze vs okwerdz, hollow vs pass, etc. tons of battles, big, meaningful ones, where they cheered equally for visitor (they didn't go crazy for lots of ex-i's shit either).

" wore his hat like someone tried to slap it off him prior, and always had sunglasses on Tony Ferguson style."

lmao

cmon dog they weren't in the main events battling diz and shit LOL and simon rex went on to star as lush one so whatever, he was getting into the role early
Don't get me wrong dude. I'm DEF not sticking up for NY crowds. The boo'ing shit gets to be ridiculous when people can't even get through a bar without beeing boo'd first. I suspect that's just people who know the battlers being jerk offs to the competition. Honestly if you're being excessive and obnoxious with the boos you should be escorted from the venue. Either way, they do that shit to NY rappers too. even Mook and Lux have been boo'd. It's def not just a hometown thing. I don't think that there would ever be an instance where someone from NY could literally just throw their arms in the air and yell "EAST COAST" and the whole building loses their shit though. That has happened at least twice from what I can remember (DBD and Okwerdz battles if not mistaken).

Now as far as these morons not being headliners, that means nothing to me. They should never have had a camera on them in the first place. The people who allowed this shit were just looking to get a person with a check next to their name to follow them on twitter and to be like "yeah I party with c-list celebrities... nbd". Corny af and I will never be able to cosign it. It sounds ridiculous, but I take hip-hop fairly seriously so when I see a video of a dude with a wutang tattoo next to a tattoo of a table who got famous for being a fat man-child and rapping about putting pancakes on his face posted to a battle rap channel it rubs me the wrong way.

It's funny though because I've seen a lot of people who tried to actually bring more eyes onto battle rap get called culture vultures (think Total Slaughter), but the people who openly make a mockery of it are accepted and welcomed. Everyone that I've listed is the definition of a culture vulture, but have never been referred to as one.

Enough derailing this guys classic thread though. My bad.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #192
irvsykeg

word. all i'll say is cheering for shit isn't bias when you cheer for the other shit equally, its what i'd call preference. west coast were best crowds and best league for sure. the west coast bars u referenced were not great and ppl didn't take 'em serious. no opinion on andy milonakis shit. cheers bruddah. def didn't like awk doing it cuz it made it sound like they were biased when they weren't .

Old 09-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #193
Wtchr

Quote:

I just want to add a comment here. You guys all know way more about this stuff than me but with regards to putting Andy Milonakis and Simon Rex on (I had never heard of them before they did that two-on-two years ago) - my reaction to what your saying is that Mad Illz and Drect probably would have put people like them on in Florida or other divisions if they had access to some minor celebrities who did a bit of rapping in their areas.

I don't have much to go on except the way they hyped something about NBA players watching in several battles, and made frequent announcements for big sounding things that never happened back in 2008. Reality shows and Canada vs USA event in Niagara Falls. They also included at least one battle that I can remember that they said was completely impromptu on both sides, meaning they just let two dudes from the crowd do a battle they later uploaded.

If they would let two nobodies just decide to battle and then they throw that up on their channel why wouldn't they let someone who can barely rap but has a name people would know get on their channel? So that was a battle that got like 3k views, but they also had an early (and shitty) battle that had, in the title 'rapper pulls gun in battle'. They were all okay with using cheap ploys that might not have anything to do with respecting the craft or whatever but had everything to do with bringing attention to the channel. I just have a hard time believing that Grind Time Now wouldn't put Andy Milonakis on in any division he wanted.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:07 AM   #194
bobbylight

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnik View Post
. There is no chance that Andy Milonakis, Andre Legacy, Simon Rex, Mickey Avalon, etc etc would ever be allowed to rhyme 2 words together anywhere else.
You don't fuck with three loco? This song is better than anything I ever heard from a battle rapper.

bobbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #195
Tecnik

Quote:
they also had an early (and shitty) battle that had, in the title 'rapper pulls gun in battle'
Ahhhhhhhhhh the WSHH days of GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
You don't fuck with three loco? This song is better than anything I ever heard from a battle rapper.

https://youtu.be/ZdPpKgLCEjI
No. Not even slightly. You ever listened to Illmacs Green Tape? I still bump that whole album regularly. Shit is legitimate fire.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #196
irvsykeg

green tape is aight, clay pigeons was great. also don't think it's that big of a deal they let some minor celebs do a battle. i just didn't watch cuz idc. this was back when battling was a lot smaller so it was a big deal when anything bigger paid attention. like royce on hot 97 saying "we can battle like them grind time kids"

Old 10-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #197
RandallFlagg
Registered Loser

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
RandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time Australia
Thumbs up

Even though I haven't seen most of these battles and never will I still really enjoy reading through these breakdowns. Please continue doing this for all of GT, early kotd and early smack battles. It seems important despite being 100 percent worthless and degenerate.
RandallFlagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:20 AM   #198
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallFlagg View Post
It seems important despite being 100 percent worthless and degenerate.
Thank you for saying this. It means a lot to me.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #199
irvsykeg

so yes forced rhyme

Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #200
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnik View Post

Have watched battles with dudes from the west battling out of towners where dude from west is fucking TERRIBLE but is getting Christian818-watching-Canibus level reactions from the hometown crowd. This has happened in almost every battle I've seen Frank Stacks participate in. Legitimately one of the worst battle rappers of all time, but somehow is held in high regard out there (unless I've been trolled). No quotables EVER. All I can remember is that he said faggot about 30 times in a 60 second round, wore his hat like someone tried to slap it off him prior, and always had sunglasses on Tony Ferguson style.

Sorry, got a little OT there.
Stacks is nice in the Oshea battle

All those guys have sort of rap careers. They all got music out.

Tiger Ty was great at times. He was one of battle raps first characters.

CRB - Rap Battle - Mz BlackPearl vs Houdini Diamond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnPHKLL8k&t

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8217, bars