Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Theories for why URL/UW oriented punchline battlers are so popular now

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Theories for why URL/UW oriented punchline battlers are so popular now

People's attentions spans are lower than they used to be, they wanna be entertained quickly and effortlessly, and succinct punchlines, that are well delivered, satisfy modern consumers demands.

Why is this?:

Media congestion:
Fans are now bombarded with torrents of battles, vlogs, podcasts, social media garbage etc, so because people watch more videos, and have more choice, they're more selective about who to watch and who not to watch, and therefore more dismissive of battlers who use filler or focus on complex rhyme patterns or narratives instead of punchlines.

Economic improvements:
Now unemployment's subsided, fans have less recreational time to concentrate on videos, so if you don't stimulate them in the first minute they switch off. People may also devote less of their days towards battles because they have more disposable income to indulge in expensive activities and no longer have to settle for Battle-Rap just because it's free.

Conclusion:
Battlers with terrible deliveries, who ramble and don't say stuff you can react to every 10 seconds, are obselete because working people don't have the tolerance for their elaborate yet tedious orations or vocal inadaquacies anymore. And one of the reasons people prefer URL/UW oriented rappers is because they tend to have better deliveries, and aren't so instantanously off-putting, so you can enjoy their performances without analyzing their content.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
PublicStaticVoid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
PublicStaticVoid is a PY Poster
In my opinion it has to do with how easy it is for a punchline to get a reaction from a crowd than any other medium. I rapper with punchlies is more likely to get a reaction than a participant that goes for straight multi's

Another issue is that battlerap is hugely about emulation. If one strategy works, it will be incorporated by more battlerappers.
PublicStaticVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
yeah no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
the style that people seem to gravitate towards is a combination of flow and punchlines... it is the reason battlers like Magic, bigg k and big t are so well-thought of.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Gopher D'Gusto

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Gopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This is why I've been saying for years that the best thing leagues could do is go back to 60-90 second rounds. It forces battlers to condense their material so there's less room for filler. GT had the perfect blueprint. I don't get why everyone decided to fuck it up.
Gopher D'Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
barz2AM
NawmSayin

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
barz2AM is a PY Poster
punchlines are like dunks in nba,,
Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
My Kall

My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher D'Gusto View Post
This is why I've been saying for years that the best thing leagues could do is go back to 60-90 second rounds. It forces battlers to condense their material so there's less room for filler. GT had the perfect blueprint. I don't get why everyone decided to fuck it up.
I'm certain that tens of thousands of people don't watch those 30-40 minute battles from start to finish. My guess is they watch each battler for a minute, and if a battler is continuously making them react, whilst also feeling easy and natural to watch, the viewer will watch the rest of his rounds, but if they're not evoking constant reactions, and feel onerous to listen to, then they'll skip his rounds. So often the typical viewer might watch 15-20 minutes of battling per 35 minute video, and that's only if they don't reject both guys after testing them for 1 minute, which will happen a hell of a lot.

Last edited by My Kall; 05-25-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Og Smokinstein
Deathstro da great

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Og Smokinstein is better than Grind Time AustraliaOg Smokinstein is better than Grind Time Australia
Punchlines, schemes, are more difficult to come up with.
Multis aren't that impressive,unless it's accompanied by punclines,metaphors etc..
Crowds respect creativity, in which the url style embodies that.
Bender vs Big t is prime example..Both had some shit...
But bender's usage of multis made his verse sound like it runs together.
Big t verse was slower and easier to understand.
Which most fans picked him for the winner.

Bender may have had the better written verse..
But T's verse was more creative..
Which creativity with words will when everytime.

I think people like the idea, of wondering how do niggas think of some of this shit.
You dont get that feeling too much, outside of the url/uw..
Og Smokinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
Beaux Jangles
bojangles snappin!!!

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Beaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICE
Conceited

/thread
GoldRaffleBojangles,SnowsCastleBojangles,QuoteSnap pleBojangles,ClothesNaturalBojangles,BrosBlackHole Bojangles,PulpedMangosBojangles,WroteDjangoBojangl es,SoakedFlannelBojangles,RogueAngelBojangles,Home NashvilleBojangles,CrowsHateLawsBojangles,ToveAvri lBojangles,ThrowShrapnelBojangles,GrossRainbowBoja ngles,NoRacialBojangles,RomeStatueBojangles
Beaux Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
Gun So Girthy
Banned

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Gun So Girthy is a PY Poster
Dudes act like GrindTime jokes weren't the nerd bird equivalent to the punchline. 60 second rounds filled with back to back gay jokes were HOT (for the nerd birds). Now we have people with the same attention span, not shorter ones, watching people with better lyrical ability.
Gun So Girthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
Beaux Jangles
bojangles snappin!!!

Beaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICE
and your bullshit theory suggests arsonal and hitman, both NOT regarded as "punchline" battlers by todays standards will not receive the same views in the future

which is absolutely, idiotically, wrong

EDIT: along with your "battling has been dying since 08" bullshit...

if someone made a top 5 worst posters of the month, @My Kall would be on the list EVERY time
GoldRaffleBojangles,SnowsCastleBojangles,QuoteSnap pleBojangles,ClothesNaturalBojangles,BrosBlackHole Bojangles,PulpedMangosBojangles,WroteDjangoBojangl es,SoakedFlannelBojangles,RogueAngelBojangles,Home NashvilleBojangles,CrowsHateLawsBojangles,ToveAvri lBojangles,ThrowShrapnelBojangles,GrossRainbowBoja ngles,NoRacialBojangles,RomeStatueBojangles

Last edited by Beaux Jangles; 05-26-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
EchosMyron

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
EchosMyron is not the worst person
... It's cause the GT scene fell off due to bad business leaving the URL scene to gain prominence in it's wake.

ppl became accustomed to the URL style and battle rap steadily grew bigger making tons of new fans who weren't around to appreciate other styles.
EchosMyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 AM   #13
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Clarke KillingSouls is a PY Poster
Loaded Lux Vs Murda Mook is a example.
Clarke KillingSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #14
PurelyDef
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
PurelyDef is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher D'Gusto View Post
Co-sign

not only am I sick as fuck of seeing these 5 hour long battles where battler A is spitting nothing but filler for 2 minutes straight in between each punch, as a writer, I'm sick of having to write so much damn material for one battle and actually incorporating a punchline into (at least) every other bar
PurelyDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
Dynamo Dan
D-D-D-D-Dan namsayin'?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Dynamo Dan is not the worst person
This is a stupid thread honestly. Battle rap is about the punchline & how you're leading up into it. Whether it be a double entendre, simile, metaphor, a joke, a personal or a very nicely delivered threat, the whole point of battling is building up to the line that is suppose to make the crowd erupt.

If you have months to prepare for a battle why would you write a bunch of nothing for 40 bars? I don't know what a URL/UW style punchline is but if you mean it doesn't talk about their opponent's dick then that's a good thing.
@barz2AM is accurate though. A punchline is like a dunk but only if it's really good. Everything that's just okay is more like a lay up. B Magic takes like 3 layups then goes for a dunk each time. Wordplay is like a crossover.

wrap your head around that!!!
Dynamo Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by barz2AM View Post
punchlines are like dunks in nba,,
kind of?

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
extending the roundtimes and removing judging kinda helped. i'm not a fan. Me and a few mate watched B-magic vs Rum Nity playing 'drink when you get a punchline'

A lean night!

never had a problem like this in the GT days, does that make me a nerd? maybe. Also, KOTD stopping having events in canada, and having half they're cards full of URL guys didn't help.

I swear battling used to be funnier, when a punchline was cracking a joke, rather then telling someone your gonna shoot them, and relating it to a famous american sports personality.
cripplesunday1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
My Kall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatStrangledBojangles View Post
EDIT: along with your "battling has been dying since 08" bullshit...
I've literally never said Battle-Rap was dying since 08. Stop lying.

Your counter-argument about Conceited is fair though.

Last edited by My Kall; 05-26-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
My Kall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
This is a stupid thread honestly. Battle rap is about the punchline & how you're leading up into it. Whether it be a double entendre, simile, metaphor, a joke, a personal or a very nicely delivered threat, the whole point of battling is building up to the line that is suppose to make the crowd erupt.

If you have months to prepare for a battle why would you write a bunch of nothing for 40 bars? I don't know what a URL/UW style punchline is but if you mean it doesn't talk about their opponent's dick then that's a good thing.
@barz2AM is accurate though. A punchline is like a dunk but only if it's really good. Everything that's just okay is more like a lay up. B Magic takes like 3 layups then goes for a dunk each time. Wordplay is like a crossover.
Obviously punchlines have always been popular, and I'm not saying there's been a total paradigm shift, but I thought most people here agreed that punchlines are higher in demand now than ever before, and I was speculating why. Do you honestly believe the fan-favourites of 3 years ago like Arsonal, Real Deal, T-Rex and Calicoe are as punchline fuelled as recent success stories like Bigg K? Arsonal, Real Deal, T-Rex and Calicoe's favourability, on here at least, has fallen slightly, whereas punchline battlers, like Bigg K, are getting more and more popular. Surely you recognize that?
Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Clarke KillingSouls is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kall View Post
Obviously punchlines have always been popular, and I'm not saying there's been a total paradigm shift, but I thought most people here agreed that punchlines are higher in demand now than ever before, and I was speculating why. Do you honestly believe the fan-favourites of 3 years ago like Arsonal, Real Deal, T-Rex and Calicoe are as punchline fuelled as recent success stories like Bigg K? Arsonal, Real Deal, T-Rex and Calicoe's favourability, on here at least, has fallen slightly, whereas punchline battlers, like Bigg K, are getting more and more popular. Surely you recognize that?
I hate rhyme patterns and wordplay schemes. Battle rap died within that era.
Clarke KillingSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
Beaux Jangles
bojangles snappin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kall View Post
are you saying that bigg k's rise is comparable with arsonals?

bigg k??? the guy who is getting booked from KOTD? the same guy who's essentially been blackballed from URL? the same guy who gets a 3rd of the views of a rex or arsonal???

you know what...fuck it...i gotta put you on mute..you did this to yourself..peace out idiot
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
WillyBoFung

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
WillyBoFung is a PY Poster
so ur suggesting there was a time when punchlines were "not" popular?
WillyBoFung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #23
Dynamo Dan
D-D-D-D-Dan namsayin'?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Dynamo Dan is not the worst person
I still don't get why Bigg K is always mentioned. He's not really as punchline heavy as yall make him out to be.

Last time I checked though, when Arsonal came up & before Calicoe there was Conceited using punchlines back to back to back. I honestly feel the whole trend came from text battling. T-Rex isn't really worth comparing because he came up the same time Mook & Lux did just was in Mook shadow. The only reason he's so prominent now is because he took the reigns when Mook quit so he was the one battling as the face for Dot Mob for awhile.

wrap your head around that!!!
Dynamo Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #24
My Kall

And in response to Throatstrangles counter-arguments about Hitman Holla and Arsonal, a massive component of their popularities is their deliveries, which I also highlighted in my original post as one of the resquisites battlers need to attract fans who don't wanna spend more than a minute watching someone who feels laborious for them to watch. However Arsonal does get maligned a lot here, and unfairly so imo. But Throatstrangled's point about Conceited's meteoric rise does go against my premise, I'll grant him that.

But I'm only making nuanced generalisations guys, I'm not saying that well delivered punchlines are the be all and end all.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #25
SIROB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
SIROB is not the worst person
My favorite style will forever be the verb..old ill..jc type, the lyricism coupled with the punches coupled with that real talk.
SIROB is offline   Reply With Quote