Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
most overrated battlers

Old 05-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
most overrated battlers

Rum Nitty: has alien-like clever bars but has a disjointed flow nowadays. i kinda miss when he had more flow like his battle with b magic.

Geechi Gotti: this is in no way sending shade. he is THE most consistent battle rapper there is. thing is, hes very formulaic... you know what hes gonna do every battle and none of his rounds really wow me.

twork: yes, at times he looks like the GOAT. but his rounds are very disjointed too. doesnt pay attention to "flow" enough. too inconsistent.

DNA: technically a very well-rounded battler. but his bars are super generic.

clips: same as DNA

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Hitman Holla

Tay Roc

both are known for what, aggression and style but they each have very little substance

i do dig some of their bars - very few though - and i even like the remix shit Hitman does, plus Roc & Surf together are crazy nice - but they are both, for me, the definition of "overrated"

Gotta say Mook - perfect example of sheep mentality, why is he even well-known or widely considered one of the GOAT?

And finally - Brizz Rawsteen - see the same critiques on Hitman & Roc - the only battle I really liked with this guy was vs Young X, and he even clearly lost that one (imho)

Arsonal's pretty shit last few years too, only battle I rewatch with him was VS Conceited.
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
i didnt like hitman when i first saw him and it took me a while to get into his accent. tay roc has some of the coldest bars but my favorite is "go to the WHIP N, start banging over the top of car - BLAKE GRIFFIN

Mook isnt overrated imo because he gets enough hate as it is and he was one of the OG's. none of his recent battles are very good, though i agree.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 05-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
i didnt like hitman when i first saw him and it took me a while to get into his accent. tay roc has some of the coldest bars but my favorite is "go to the WHIP N, start banging over the top of car - BLAKE GRIFFIN

Mook isnt overrated imo because he gets enough hate as it is and he was one of the OG's. none of his recent battles are very good, though i agree.
interesting, it never occurred to me - but Hitman's accent is probably the aspect of him as a battler that I like the most

Roc's rematch v Clips is solid, and I liked him vs Cal, of course Cal washed him though
Old 05-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
sleeping dogs

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
sleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australiasleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australia
i think if you don't rate or care for things like delivery, charisma, and performance you might not see why hitman and roc are so good. roc is also just really good at rapping, but a lot of hitman's memorable bars, i.e the legally blind bar vs suge, and take tay roc's seatbelt bar against hollow... those are both haymakers where a lot of the weight is in the way the bar is performed and you could see it as lacking in substance i guess?? to me it highlights battle rap as a medium as it takes advantage of the performance aspect of it. like if we're just rating the lyrics of battle rappers then we might as well just reduce it to text battles.
the market sold imaginations just to keep you in the dark"

current top 5: tay roc, tsu surf, pat stay, loaded lux, geechi gotti
sleeping dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping dogs View Post
i think if you don't rate or care for things like delivery, charisma, and performance you might not see why hitman and roc are so good. roc is also just really good at rapping, but a lot of hitman's memorable bars, i.e the legally blind bar vs suge, and take tay roc's seatbelt bar against hollow... those are both haymakers where a lot of the weight is in the way the bar is performed and you could see it as lacking in substance i guess?? to me it highlights battle rap as a medium as it takes advantage of the performance aspect of it. like if we're just rating the lyrics of battle rappers then we might as well just reduce it to text battles.
i dig the point you're tryin to make, but it'd be a hell of a stretch to say let's go back to text battles just because I think delivery and performance, aggression and charisma, are beneath actual lyricism.

i think a strong delivery and certain performances (Twork v Ripp is a good example, Pat Stay v Marv, Gattas, QP SONS, Ill Will, Gjonaj v Gutta, I mean... Lux, Verb, Calicoe, some of the best IMO - the way they get some of their shit off is chilling I could go on) are essential, definitely, but it's like the old adage of polishing a turd or putting lipstick on a pig - Hitman and his brother being like Serena and Venus Williams "swinging ratchets" is hella retarded, and no matter how loud Roc hypes himself after calling "this nigga D a Nanny" ... you see what I mean? (I know we can't judge either of the battlers off of single lines like those)

I dunno, I was into rap for a long time before battle rap, listening to Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, DITC, Immortal Technique, the GZA, etc etc and I enjoy bobbing my head to a proper beat and all that but I always went back to listen to the lyrics, that's the shit that makes all the difference I feel, to me it's all in the message. So when listening to a studio album I'd say catching the delivery is automatic, and what Hitman is particularly known for, his 'performance' - the performance is what you 'see', but the charisma for me is always amplified or diminished depending on the lyrics, you know? Like it's all one package. There's a reason Shotgun Suge has "Experience" as one of his attributes on URL, lmao.

Another example, Chess & Steams vs Marvwon & Quest. Marv and Quest bodied them, and Chess/Steams' spinnin around "becoming the chopper" just isn't it for me... I think turning battle rap into a circus performance is about the saddest and corniest thing. I get it, the crowd reacts, super fun, but hell man. Remember Hollow's scheme on Lux' whole coffin/violet gowns/bullshit getup vs Calicoe. But we all remember that battle for Lux' lyricism, and for example that's probably the biggest reason he is seen as the GOAT. Hitman v Lux is something I've never heard suggested.

Anyway, that was my rant, it's been a good time
Old 05-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
iamHBY

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Murda Mook, Tay Roc, Shotgun Suge, Nu Jerzey Twork, K-Shine, JC and Chess.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
StankDaddy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
Mook, Clips, Suge (hes genuinely awful), Lux (though, he's still pretty damn good), Calicoe
StankDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I like guys with good writing and nothing else, but find them very overrated: Gjonaj, Soul, 24/7 etc.

Also never got why anyone thinks Carter Deems is anything other than a midtier rapper.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:49 AM   #10
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
all things considered mook is probably the most overrated ever
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #11
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
all things considered mook is probably the most overrated ever
Mook is a good example of how far good marketing will get you, lol.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Old 05-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Mook is a good example of how far good marketing will get you, lol.
marketing and just playing the politics game in general. i commend him for holding out as long as he does in between battles and getting the big check that he gets, and it makes his battles more of an event and adds to his legacy. but yeah he just honestly is pretty much subpart in almost every aspect of modern battling outside of performance.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:03 AM   #13
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Might as well make a thorough breakdown on why I think certain names are overrated.

Murda Mook: I get that he's considered a pioneer for what he did during the DVD era, but as far as the newer era of battle rap, I think he's translated horribly. His performances don't really any have replay value IMO, and his writing at times is so bad, it makes me wonder why he's even held in as high regard as he is in the first place.

Tay Roc: I think Roc's a participation trophy battler that's been outclassed so many times, by veterans that are better than him (Hitman, Pat, Cal, Surf, etc). His wordplay is godawful at times, he can't do angles or rebuttal, his punches and delivery are so average, yet somehow he's been put on a pedestal seemingly for fulfilling the bare minimum requirements to be a competent battle rapper.

Shotgun Suge: Suge's someone that I think has been Bottom 5 for a very long time, and I think he gets by from battle rap fans having super low expectations of him. He's choked a lot, has super meh punches, and he seems like a mid-carder/opening act at best. There's certain battles of his like him vs. Nitty or Pat where people will swear it's debatable, and I wonder if it's because they think those battles were good back and forth battles, or just because Suge seemed like he put up enough of a fight to exceed those aforementioned low expectations.

Nu Jerzey Twork: I can admit when Twork has good lines here and there, but more often than not, he relies way too heavily on a style of wordplay that I'm not a fan of, his extensive recycling is a turn off for me, and there's so many rounds or battles where it seems like he just didn't give a shit to prepare for. I know he writes at the last minute, but more often than not, it seems like him waiting until the last second is what contributes to him recycling or choking so frequently.

K-Shine: As far as Shine's recent performances, he's become so formulaic that his rounds start to run together for me after awhile. It seems like all he does now are just back to back punches where the setup and the punch are in the same line, and the punches don't hit hard as a Nitty or Ave punch, and they're not clever in a deceptively simple way like what Geechi does. Also, his entourage is obnoxious.

JC: It's an uphill battle more often than not to get through a JC battle. I think he's been good against Trez, DNA and Suge, but otherwise, it's like I'm stuck watching a TED Talk presentation on a series of forced wordplay concepts that's constantly stopped at the slightest modicum of crowd reaction.

Chess: I've tried to give Chess so many chances over the years, but I just don't think he's that particularly good. My biggest issues with him for years had to do with his lack of a proper editing process (where he'd have 8 minute rounds with 3-4 minutes that shouldn't have made it past the first draft), and his memorization process. But even when he started to cut down on the chokes in 2019, his writing to me was so mediocre. I think 2 moments where I really started to think that Chess just flat out sucked were his weird 3rd round parallel universe angle against Danny Myers where Danny was his dad, and then whatever the fuck that "F in this city/ethnicity" bar he had against John John Da Don was supposed to be.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #14
rogermellie

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post

Tay Roc: delivery are so average
Now that's just silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
It's a fact that The Saurus didn't back down and let Pat Stay be the alpha male and all of that has a FACTUAL basis in primate psychology.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
Emancee

Quote:
Tay Roc: I think Roc's a participation trophy battler that's been outclassed so many times, by veterans that are better than him (Hitman, Pat, Cal, Surf, etc). His wordplay is godawful at times, he can't do angles or rebuttal, his punches and delivery are so average, yet somehow he's been put on a pedestal seemingly for fulfilling the bare minimum requirements to be a competent battle rapper.
Tay Roc got big off one round vs Hollow. Except for that one big moment, he's mostly boring.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Tay roc was great against bad newz, Ill will, o red, hollow and had moments in others. His delivery is A+.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 05-12-2020, 01:27 PM   #17
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Chess is a lot like NJT no flow to their rounds. It was jarring to see how much better JJDD was than him and you all know what we think of JJ

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 05-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
chess , twork , mook
Old 05-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
Chess is a lot like NJT no flow to their rounds. It was jarring to see how much better JJDD was than him and you all know what we think of JJ
I think JJDD can be pretty terrible for the most part recently, but he demolished Chess badly. And thatís a good point about how Chess and NJT have no flow to their rounds.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #20
Emancee

Quote:
I think JJDD can be pretty terrible for the most part recently, but he demolished Chess badly. And thatís a good point about how Chess and NJT have no flow to their rounds.
Yeah, everytime I start to think JJTD is complete trash, he pulls a performance out the bag and surprises me. He has that Caustic factor of people thinking he will be an easy win and most of the time they're right, but if they get that one or two times a year when he actually comes to the battle prepared they'd really better watch out.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #21
Felicity Halsey
Certified vet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Felicity Halsey is not the worst person
URL the (insert)----> least respected battle league
Old 05-14-2020, 01:31 AM   #22
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Yeah, everytime I start to think JJTD is complete trash, he pulls a performance out the bag and surprises me. He has that Caustic factor of people thinking he will be an easy win and most of the time they're right, but if they get that one or two times a year when he actually comes to the battle prepared they'd really better watch out.
I really wish JJDD would focus more on angles in battles, instead of spending so much time doing shitty wordplay like that nut scheme he had against Geechi.