Throwback Watching All Grind Time Battles from March 2009

Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #1
Wtchr

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Watching All Grind Time Battles from March 2009

Sonny Black vs Mike Flamez
March 1, 2009

Hey hey, my my. Two rappers with first and last names, and one of them is Sonny. That makes two Sonny's in the Midwest and none anywhere else in Grind Time.

Two no shows happened at the event so these two are going to battle eachother.
Mike Flamez is a pretty classic wigger. Sonny Black's just rapping away, presumably a mixtape verse, and no one's reacting until this one moment when a guy just shouts out 'Ya dig!" He got some applause at the end.

Mike Flamez did some freestyle lines that landed. Starting to sound like Black might be a better rapper but Flamez might be a better battler. Flamez claps his hands between lines which I kinda don't like.

Sonny Black just choked and shouted "fuck!". He pulled it together and finished the round but it was a bad look. Flamez has a cheerleader section that reacts more than any normal person would to lines like this. It's like the American Funniest Videos audience.

There's some kind of post-battle clip where Sonny Black and his crew are talking to Sonny Bamboo about something and then one of them starts talking about his clothing line, and then they're cut off. Video end.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
Uza
VIP

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Uza is not the worst person
Yo just wanna say I'm a big fan of these threads, they're my favorite ones since I joined.
Uza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uza View Post
Yo just wanna say I'm a big fan of these threads, they're my favorite ones since I joined.
Thank you sir. It'll be easy to keep up as long as I'm working from home.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Mike Flamez pick n roll

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Wtchr

March 2, 2009: B.C vs HighCollide

B.C. vs HighCollide

March 2, 2009

Awww... B.C vs H.C., don't really wanna watch HighCollide. I can't just pick and choose what I watch though, so I'm stuck. I guess I could skip it, I'm making up the rules here, but that violates the spirit of this project! Onwards!

B.C. from Gang Green Gang. Shouted out his fiance and his baby boy Luis Jr. Sweet, from the heart, not really something that fits with what a rap battle is. If he ends up saying a bunch of "he's so gay" lines, is that part for his fiance and his baby boy Luis Jr? Think about that.

B.C.s not bad. HighCollide is, I dunno... he's doing this thing where he's like gesturing with each syllable, like, counting off all the syllables that rhyme while he says "you a young bill cosby built cocky." A lot of pointless rhymes that I don't get and I don't think it's impressive that he's using words that start with b and c through the whole thing, big fuckin' deal.

B.C. said some weird shit about Mad Illz in his second and then he turns and is like "let me roast Illusion-Z". Illusion-Z's getting the callout?!

Line of the battle "I'm about to stab him with knives and shit"

Man, BC, he says "his wife and sis, been dikin' since, ninety-six." For one thing, that's some HighCollide ish right there, for a second, this is in the battle dedicated to your fiance and son. I thought his first was ok, I'm not really diggin this anymore.

Maybe I'm not being fair but by now there's a whole bunch of rappers that I just can't stand and maybe if I got out of myself I'd see they weren't that bad. HighCollide is one of them (along with Phrases and Mosh).
Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
Emancee

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
B.C. vs HighCollide
Maybe I'm not being fair but by now there's a whole bunch of rappers that I just can't stand and maybe if I got out of myself I'd see they weren't that bad. HighCollide is one of them (along with Phrases and Mosh).
HighCollide's style just dated really quickly. It's similar with Wapps and Juce, people now look back and wonder how the hell the judges made the decisions they did, but at the time multi stacking was relatively new in battle rap (Although strangely not in rap itself) and anyone that could do it got an instant win even if the multis made zero sense.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
HighCollide's style just dated really quickly. It's similar with Wapps and Juce, people now look back and wonder how the hell the judges made the decisions they did, but at the time multi stacking was relatively new in battle rap (Although strangely not in rap itself) and anyone that could do it got an instant win even if the multis made zero sense.
haha reminds me of Papoose on his quadrillion mixtapes going "silly-billy you illy witty you shitty smitty, I killy killy with really really sickly kiddies in any city" and everybody, adolescent me included, thought it was amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
I don't think it's impressive that he's using words that start with b and c through the whole thing, big fuckin' deal.
Haha that's one of those pretentious round concepts that pop up every now and then with a slight twist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
It's a fact that The Saurus didn't back down and let Pat Stay be the alpha male and all of that has a FACTUAL basis in primate psychology.

Last edited by rogermellie; 05-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
Wtchr

Soul Khan vs J Ka$h

Soul Khan vs J Ka$h
March 2, 2009

Soul Khan in 2009 was good. I haven't heard of J Ka$h but I'm not impressed by a dollar-sign replacing an s. This is an impromptu (oh no) promo battle and as late as 3 years ago there's a comment saying "Soul Khan freestyled this battled while J Kash came with writtens..." (the errors were in the comment).

J Kash is smoking a cigarello or something. Jaze is hosting and he says AC, Amazin Crack noshowed for the main event. In another universe AC shows up and its PK who's hosting.

Soul Khan's a polished performer but this is two guys rapping away. Like SK is doing his shtick but he's using lines that can be used on anyone. SK back then was performing at a level higher than most of these other rappers so it's still good but this ain't a classic. There's a car honking and honking and honking in the background during the second. J Ka$h knows how to rap, he's not bad, but when I've visited NY I've got about 40 minutes max on the street before someone like him is trying to put their mixtape or CDr in my hands.

The video's got (promo battle) but there's still segments where 5 judges say Soul Khan won. I don't see what the point is of saying a guy who didn't come to battle lost when he was just helping them produce a little content. Most of these impromptu battles have been trash but you don't want to miss out on a chance to upload a new Soul Khan video.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Wtchr

March 4, 2009: Young Real vs Hood

Young Real vs Hood
March 4, 2009

Two rappers I've never heard of, Young Real from Detroit, Hood from Indianapolis. Midwest battle. Let's see.

Sonny pulls a quarter out of his wallet.

Didn't think Young Real's first was too bad, a gangsta rap round. Hood did the Birdman handrub the whole round.

Hood's louder, and he's got a cheerleader, some saying 'yup' after his lines.
I spent some time grading university student papers where I would often make the comment "vary diction" if the students used the same words too often. It was an issue with style, not a major problem a student would lose marks over, but Hood's reminding me of that with lines like "this shit's funny as a shit."

When Hood stops you can hear Sonny whisper "you have 15 seconds".

Young Real's not bad but he's also not saying anything crazy.

Hood says you got signed with Seasame Street twice in his second round.

Young Real is doing mixtape lines for his third. He peters out and Sonny says "you got 20 seconds" then he starts to seem to freestyle some actual battle lines.

Hood does a line about Mike Vick throwing bullets, it's gotta be the only line in existance about Michael Vick playing football and not about killing dogs or whatever that was. Hood was weak the whole battle but then finally got a real reaction when he said "your girl is a bopper" and the end of his third. I have no idea what that means but the crowd seems to get it. I think because Hood ended strong the judgment was a split decision for Young Real.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #11
Wtchr

March 5, 2009: Jist The Klepto vs ATM

Jist the Klepto vs ATM
March 5, 2009

Another Florida battle out by the Citrus Bowl where, so far, every battle has been disrupted by traffic noise. I don't know why they thought that was a good location but they must have thought it looked cool.

Never heard of Jist the Klepto. I know ATM gets funnier but he came off like Mista Conspiracy in his first couple showings.

Just claims Anaheim California, I'm skeptical that he's any good. Like, Madness leaves Florida to compete in California, a tougher talent pool, and Jist the Klepto arrives.

Drect says "make sure you speak up" to Jist, then "you too, make sure you speak up" like, they know its a problem location for noise.

Jist said "I went form battling the shittiest to battling the cameraman", ah, ok, I've seen him before, against Tank Lipp. Jist must have won but was ATM really behind the camera in Florida?

There's so many outdated references in these battles - Jist just had a William Hung line. Then he started choking. Mosh takes a drag on his smoke and says 'freestyle'.

ATM starts shouting "you fucker, you should be in a dumpster, you know why? cause you're a garbage cat that something *at and blappity blat"

ATM's doing nonsense multi rhymes the way HighCollide does but I think cause he comes off half-tarded he makes it work. It's kinda funny. Jist is stumbling so you can hear people in the park laughing in the distance and the sports game in the background. Jist is blowing it, does a mariokart shells line, lyircal criminal critical phyisical spiritual, then when he's struggling he strokes his lower lip like he's drying it off with his bare hand.

ATM's big end was "you an arrogant bitch like Illusion-Z" like, two battles picking on Illusion-Z, what's that abbout?
Old 05-15-2020, 01:08 AM   #12
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
when I've visited NY I've got about 40 minutes max on the street before someone like him is trying to put their mixtape or CDr in my hands.
This is factz, lol. I remember being in NY and hitting up a club and really buying up everyone's CDs, thinking I was going to uncover some hidden underground future rap legend. There is literally not a single disk that I still listened to a week later. Even though bizarrely one or two of the names made it semi-big.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Old 05-15-2020, 01:10 AM   #13
THINKaboutIT
Norman Smiley

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
THINKaboutIT is not the worst person
Quote:

Jist the Klepto vs ATM
March 5, 2009

Another Florida battle out by the Citrus Bowl where, so far, every battle has been disrupted by traffic noise. I don't know why they thought that was a good location but they must have thought it looked cool.

Never heard of Jist the Klepto. I know ATM gets funnier but he came off like Mista Conspiracy in his first couple showings.

Just claims Anaheim California, I'm skeptical that he's any good. Like, Madness leaves Florida to compete in California, a tougher talent pool, and Jist the Klepto arrives.

Drect says "make sure you speak up" to Jist, then "you too, make sure you speak up" like, they know its a problem location for noise.

Jist said "I went form battling the shittiest to battling the cameraman", ah, ok, I've seen him before, against Tank Lipp. Jist must have won but was ATM really behind the camera in Florida?

There's so many outdated references in these battles - Jist just had a William Hung line. Then he started choking. Mosh takes a drag on his smoke and says 'freestyle'.

ATM starts shouting "you fucker, you should be in a dumpster, you know why? cause you're a garbage cat that something *at and blappity blat"

ATM's doing nonsense multi rhymes the way HighCollide does but I think cause he comes off half-tarded he makes it work. It's kinda funny. Jist is stumbling so you can hear people in the park laughing in the distance and the sports game in the background. Jist is blowing it, does a mariokart shells line, lyircal criminal critical phyisical spiritual, then when he's struggling he strokes his lower lip like he's drying it off with his bare hand.

ATM's big end was "you an arrogant bitch like Illusion-Z" like, two battles picking on Illusion-Z, what's that abbout?
I remember back then thinking Jist had potential after the Tank Lipp battle just because he had some funny lines. Then this battle happened and I never saw him again haha.
THINKaboutIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #14
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Illusion Z was talking a lotta shit, like, a LOTta shit about basically everyone else at that time. he would spend half his rounds dissing people not even in the battle.

Quote:
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Old 05-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #15
Wtchr

March 5, 2009: A Shaw vs Pryceless

A Shaw vs Pryceless
March 5, 2009

A very low-viewed Midwest battle between two rappers who were introduced as cannon-fodder for superior opponents. A Shaw lost v Real Deal and Pryceless lost to Young Gattas. Now they're battling eachother for who's not a total-loser.

Pryceless is 16 which has gotta make him one of the youngest in Grind Time.

A Shaw starts round one with a 'P is for his parents basement, 'r' is for his retardation' spell-it-out thing and I'm sure this can be done well but when I hear r is for retard, I'm pretty sure I don't want to hear y, c, e, and the rest.

A Shaw's nervousness is showing a little and he's keeping a hand in his jacket pocket. A Shaw finishes the spelling lesson, which was no good, and he finishes with some decent jabs at wherever Pryceless comes from.

Pryceless is instantly better than A Shaw, he's going to win, his performance style is much stronger and his confidence is high. His opener "Two months ago, I might have lost to a bunch, but two months ago Real Deal beat one" was better than A Shaw's whole first.

The sound is fucked in this battle. It sounds like wind against a mic for the second half of Pryceless's first and then it goes silent for the start of A Shaw's first, then it just pops back in. They apologize because they don't have a Super King Armor round but there's no mention of the fact that almost a minute of sound is distorted or just gone from this battle.

A Shaw is saying some stuff weird enough to get laughs "this dude looks like a biracial toad" but he's not going to win this. A Shaw ended with some line about writing letters to Obama and Biden and it got a huge reaction, with someone shouting "MURDER!" so good for him. He ended up doing ok - this was actually a split decision for Pryceless.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:17 AM   #16
Wtchr

March 5, 2009: State of Mynd vs Ubserd

State of Mynd vs Ubserd
March 5, 2009

State of Mynd is the loser in the very unimpressive first Grind Time Now battle. Ubserd is a Florida jobber with some funny moments. K. Mynd is looking like a dirty wigger wearing giant shirts.

Drect got another hot battle comin' down. Ubsurd says "you know me, I don't have to say my name anymore" in his intro, jesus christ.

State of Mynd is just shouting as loud as he can doing maximum rapper arms as he goes.

Ok, State of Mynd is doing the only thing I really remember from other Ubserd battles - he's "husky" but Mynd is calling him "the size of a hippo". He's just not fat enough for lines like that. Meanwhile Ubserd is clowning on Mynd's arm movements.

Mynd starts his second, "when y'all see this child molester, y'all better grab kids" like... how does he think shouting 'grab kids' sounds if Ubserd is supposed to be the molester. State of Mynd is basically incompetent.

"I'll fuckin play with a stack of pringles / this man likes to mingle / till his asshole tickles" (gross, but why not 'tingles'?)

Awwwww, this battle is taking too long.

They film Phrases pissing against a tree during the judging segment. The judgment was unanimous for State of Mynd.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 AM   #17
THINKaboutIT
Norman Smiley

Quote:
They film Phrases pissing against a tree during the judging segment
Haha the golden years of battle rap.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #18
Wtchr

March 11, 2009: Iceman Etika vs Immaredo

Iceman Etika vs Immaredo
March 11, 2009

Between battles there's a video where Kronic Plague and Lush are complaining about an MC named Foolish no-showing. I don't get it but I'm just glad that they don't make a video like this for every no show.

Here's Iceman Etika whose better known as a youtube gamer who comitted suicide last year, going against Immaredo, a guy that beat Super King Arthur in a battle I can't remember. I don't know how I feel about commenting on Iceman Etika knowing about his struggles with mental illness and his tragic death. I'm not really full of pathos for my fellow man... I guess that's a fancy way of saying I don't care all that much, but knowing all that does kinda take some of the fun out of it.

Here's Jaze's intro, "Grind Time New York Part 4, knowaitimsayin its the fuckin' business as usual, We continue the way that it goes and just be expecting it from here on in and henceforce. Regardless!" What?!

Jaze says he's flipped the weirdest quarter he's ever seen - then he holds it up and the camera tries to get a clear shot of it for like 15 seconds.

Etika's okay. Immaredo's getting some laughs. It's okay. Etika said something about having a uterus. Immaredo has like 4 lines about Etika masterbating. He also said "don't commit suicide" to Etika. Etika's doing timefilling freestyles for his third.

Immaredo won the battle. Hollow judged.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:

State of Mynd vs Ubserd
March 5, 2009

State of Mynd is the loser in the very unimpressive first Grind Time Now battle. Ubserd is a Florida jobber with some funny moments. K. Mynd is looking like a dirty wigger wearing giant shirts.

Drect got another hot battle comin' down. Ubsurd says "you know me, I don't have to say my name anymore" in his intro, jesus christ.

State of Mynd is just shouting as loud as he can doing maximum rapper arms as he goes.

Ok, State of Mynd is doing the only thing I really remember from other Ubserd battles - he's "husky" but Mynd is calling him "the size of a hippo". He's just not fat enough for lines like that. Meanwhile Ubserd is clowning on Mynd's arm movements.

Mynd starts his second, "when y'all see this child molester, y'all better grab kids" like... how does he think shouting 'grab kids' sounds if Ubserd is supposed to be the molester. State of Mynd is basically incompetent.

"I'll fuckin play with a stack of pringles / this man likes to mingle / till his asshole tickles" (gross, but why not 'tingles'?)

Awwwww, this battle is taking too long.

They film Phrases pissing against a tree during the judging segment. The judgment was unanimous for State of Mynd.
Holy shit. They did film him pissing against a tree. LMAO

This is the best thread in ages.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #20
Wtchr

March 13, 2009: Chroniclz vs Ryebread

Chroniclz vs Ryebread
March 13, 2009

Another low-viewed midwest battle between two rappers I've never heard of. Oh apparently Ryebread's battled already but I don't remember at all.

Chroniclz name is not pronounced as the word Chronicles, or "chroni-culs" but is instead pronounced as "Chronic-ells" "or Chronic L's" which could be imagined as chronic losses. A poor name for a battle rapper.

There's some kind of machine-noise from the start.

Chroniclz is hitting the forced rhymes like, immediately. His first line, "Out of us, I'm the best MC". That's such a weirdly structured setup line, and a weird first line, that I can't imagine him having a single line that doesn't sound like its been tortured into a rhyming pattern. Second line "there's nothing to expect from me except spittin exceptionally." Oh man, almost three full rounds to go. "This Charlie Sheen that's hardly clean." Why? What is this for?

Ryebread is dying doing dumb freestyles and he moves like he has severe arthritis. Who knows who will win then, Chronic's second start's "I'm a real flow-er". His second is a ton of bread and toast lines playing of Rye's name. He still has to make what seems like an easy approach into weird and akward lines, like "put it simply this bitch is unsavable toast". He already used "burnt" in this bit so he has to end it with a phrase no one says.

I worked for two years in the non-Chicago part of Illinois and Ryebread's vibe is giving me serious deja vu of that time.

Chroniclz won. This was not a good battle but it's a good illustration of someone who's put some effort into writing and memorizing three prepared rounds (Chronic) vs someone freestyling in this format.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #21
Wtchr

March 13, 2009: Naunsynce vs Knowshun

Naunsynce vs Knowshun
March 13, 2009

Ok, two more rappers I've never heard of rapping in the midwest. Look at these names. I feel like, you should have to graduate into your name being a fucked up spelling of a standard english word. Like, they should have to start out as Nonsense and Notion and once they get a rep, they can start playing with the spelling until they beat Illmac or something, and then they can be Naunsynce and Knowshun. Maybe they've already done that though...

Nauncynce is female.

I've started doin a little survey of the comments before these battles. In most of the cases of these low-viewed battle all of the comments were written around the time it was released. There's almost always a Mista Conspiracy comment and there are some others who seem to have something to say about every video. This one shows Naunsynce herself commenting under the name syncytie, getting into a petty argument with someone over whether or not freestyling is any good.

Ok, I get that battle rap is really mysiginist and maybe there's some ironic satisfaction in a woman flipping all that misognist energy on its side but for me Nauncynce's shtick gets old before the battle starts. Two ironic jokes before Knowshun's first line: she says "you're made cause I fucked your girl" in her intro and then "ladies first" after the coin toss. I'm starting to think this might be tedious.

Knowshun is a total Unorthodox Phrases clone. Definitely not needed in Grind Time at this point.

Naunce had an okay start but she's freestyling so she starts stumbling and repeating words by the end.

Knowshun did a disgusting second round pretending he's Nauncsynce's OB/GYN describing her body. He announces that bitches ain't shit in the third but I have no idea what he's saying, some long thing about Hillary Clinton. Nauncsynce has some okay lines but she's not great. Judges chose Knowshun, neither were good.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #22
Wtchr

March 14, 2009: Dumbfoundead vs The Saurus

Dumbfoundead vs The Saurus
March 14, 2009

Boy howdy! A bona fide classic. This was the first Dumbfoundead battle I watched, back when I was first getting into battling. I remember going back through all the The Saurus battles I could find, having a great time watching them all. When I struck this one I couldn't believe Dumbfoundead's weird, conversational tone and pace to his approach, along with how densely structured his rhymes were and just how funny they were - like he was way funnier than any rapper I had seen up to that point. I don't think I've watched this in years but I'm excited!

It's March 2009 now, and that means a Dumbfoundead battle is far and away the most viewed battle of the new month. Surveying the comments shows a good distrobution of them being posted over time, people still watch this, unlike most of what's on this channel. I sometimes wonder about a cost/per battle analysis and what a Dumbfoundead battle is worth as compared to, say, State of Mynd vs Ubserd.

Before this was released Locksmith did a freestyle video that's viewed more than the last several battles combined.

Dumb calls the coinflip, loses and then says "you go first" and Plex corrects him. This is a minor thing but the coin toss is often this brief moment of weirdness. There are videos where the hosts are digging in their pockets for too long, looking for a coin, the Naunsynce/Knowshun had Naunsynce calling it after she saw the coin, Jaze pausing everything so everyone sees what an interesting quarter he found - not only is the coinflip a moment of indeterminancy in terms of the flip, it also seems to be a moment of temporary chaos and confusion.

Oh man, Dumb, I didn't really remember how heavy he went on the Greek angle. I know it's not genius but I love "The Saurus, that sounds like the ugliest dinosaur in jurassic park" and (which I do think is genius) "I do tours, get paid, and stay at the Sheraton / you give tours of the monterey bay aquarium."

I'm not a huge fan of Thesaurus' first but I love the 4 bar ender that stitches together references to different Asian countries. Japan (plate of sushi), Korean mom, good morning Vietnam. Crowd goes nuts for that and Plex is just shouting "shut the fuck up!" "Shut the fuck up!"

Dumb's second is a little spotty but I do like "All I Know Is That - The The Saurus Story" and the other books "Fun with Forced Multis" The Saurus' second is like... I dunno, I remember finding this hilarious back then but after all this time I can't really enjoy "Asians eat dogs and cats" lines the way I once did. I did like "make me a cell phone and do my html code!"

When The Saurus says "thanks to you I found a new use for Lower Case i's" in his third, a guy behind him (who looks like Mosh Jelton) mouth and eyes open wide like he's going through the 2001 space odessy vortex. That line was okay but he's reacting like God spoke through The Saurus to make Asian jokes. I laughed at Saurus' ending.

Unanimous judgment for Big Saurus. Promo OT where Saurus called Dumb a Tibetan dude. It'd be fun to just add up all the different countries Saurus references.
Dumb's OT was better than his third. This battle was still fun as fuck to watch.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #23
Emancee

Quote:
I dunno, I remember finding this hilarious back then but after all this time I can't really enjoy "Asians eat dogs and cats" lines the way I once did. I did like "make me a cell phone and do my html code!".
Yeah, the cats and dogs thing was still somewhat fresh at that point and Saurus clearly still on that doggie day care steez, lol.

Crazy how much references like that have dated.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #24
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Quote:
I did like "make me a cell phone and do my html code!"
fun fact: this is one of the lines Illmac says he wrote for Saurus in the THAT WAS ME round

Quote:
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #25
Wtchr

March 17, 2009: Haze vs Special T

Haze vs Special T
March 17, 2009

Following up on Dumb vs Saurus with an encore of Haze vs Special T out of the midwest. I wonder if there was a hope among the GTN owners that the audience that tuned in for Dumb v Saurus would come back the next day and check out whatever new battle was released.

Special T's strength is "being underestimates" (and also adrenaline).

Haze is from Philadelphia and he's wearing a Grind Time shirt.

Haze is blowin' it but he's sounding familiar, lemme check my records. Ugh, he's battled in Florida 3 times, with this style, a quiet, jittery freestyle approach, I'd be very surprised if he won any of them. Special T wasn't amazing but he prepared a first round at least and delivered it well. Haze's filler line is "first of all" which sounds bad saying it towards the end of a round.

In his second Special T forgot his rhymes and started freestyling. It wasn't too big of a stumble. Haze is getting chuckles from the crowd. Audience starts talking to eachother like the battle's over after the end of round 2.

Classic battle rap homoerotic pornographic fantasies from Special T: "this guy Haze, would like to get fucked for nine days, by five gays, sideways, till his ass looks like a wide cave where he can hide eggs." Mmmmmmm...

Haze has his moments, usually at the start of his rounds, when he delivers the stuff he came up with while Special T was rapping. "everything I say is fly, you're like six feet tall, I didn't know they stacked birdshit that high." Haze got some votes but the judges picked Special T. I'm glad Haze got some thumbs up though.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #26
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Can't wait until you start seeing Rheteric battles..

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 05-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #27
THINKaboutIT
Norman Smiley

Quote:
"this guy Haze, would like to get fucked for nine days, by five gays, sideways, till his ass looks like a wide cave where he can hide eggs." Mmmmmmm...
Old 05-21-2020, 12:12 AM   #28
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Quote:

Classic battle rap homoerotic pornographic fantasies from Special T: "this guy Haze, would like to get fucked for nine days, by five gays, sideways, till his ass looks like a wide cave where he can hide eggs." Mmmmmmm...
i farted when i finished reading this
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 AM   #29
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKaboutIT View Post
But.... but... but... multis, yo!
Old 05-21-2020, 01:15 AM   #30
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
i farted when i finished reading this
A thoughtful man might do some soul searching after writing some lines like that.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #31
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Quote:
A thoughtful man might do some soul searching after writing some lines like that.
imagine feeling satisfied with that writing

or not apologizing after freestyling the same
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #32
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Syanide ghost wrote it

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 05-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #33
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Quote:

"he wrote that... and then he read that... and he didn't throw it away... he kept that"

Quote:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #34
Wtchr

Quote:

I can't imagine feeling satisfied with that writing. In fact, what I can imagine is someone who wrote that feeling frustrated on many different levels.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #35
Wtchr

March 18, 2009: H-Bomb vs F.L.O.

H-Bomb vs F.L.O.
March 18, 2009

Good stuff, I don't know H-Bomb but F.L.O. is hella funny.

Lush says 'freshcoastbattles.com' in his intro. Was there ever such a website?

H-Bomb's got people clapping for him in his intro so people must know him, fewer people clapped for FLO.

F.L.O.'s high as fuck and when he won the coin toss he says "so who goes..." another voice says "you get to choose"

H-Bomb is like an abstract slam poet doing his thing. It's good in its way but it sounds like an alternative to battling. In the middle of him doing some spelling wordplay he does a 'you look like ludacris had a baby with tuna fish' and it's weird because its like... abstract space rapping about constellations and whatnot with a tired-out battling cliche thrown in the middle.

One of the first comments says H-Bomb got the first. I don't see how H-Bomb's "F.L.O. you can't F.L.O.W. you are S.L.O.W" start can compare with F.L.O.'s punchline festival.

Plex announces between rounds that he puts his hand up 5 seconds before they're supposed to stop rapping. He takes timekeeping VERY SERIOUSLY.

H-Bomb's second sounds like more of a battle round "why they got me battling the DJ from CB4" - that got a big laugh.

I guess with F.L.O.'s Gandhi, temple of doom, Dhalsim lines, H-Bomb is Indian?

H-Bomb is doing letter stuff in the third again. it's ok but his line "you should ghostwrite for ghosts" was funny and his "see ya, wouldn't want to know ya / cause FLO stands for his fuckin life is over" was pretty good, I would say H-Bomb's third was pretty good. It might win it for him.

Kap Kallous wants an OT, NoCan wants an OT, were there six judges? FLO won.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:08 PM   #36
Wtchr

March 19, 2009: Dizaster vs Illmaculate

Dizaster vs Illmaculate
March 19, 2009

Boom! Battle of the Bay III Main Event! Illmac's GT debut (besides his hosting) This is likely the second most viewed battle of March 2009 and I've never watched it before but I bet its good.

Rappers have made reference to a "Canadian Division" but Lush shouts out King of the Dot by name before the battle starts, first I've heard KOTD mentioned. A 90 second fourth round is factored into the format.

I don't understand so many of the choices made in managing the Grind Time Now channel. Dizaster's first line is about how Madness served Illmac. I don't remember ever watching this battle but I've watched Madness vs Illmac like 50 times and I would remember seeing it as part of this. I check the release dates and Madness vs Illmac comes out like 3 weeks after this, on April 7. Why release a battle with a big reference to another battle before that other battle comes out? Did they not think that people who might not have been at the event may actually watch this?

Ok anyways, Illmac's first is as good as anything I've heard in Grind Time up this point. Illmac is really good at structuring his lines so they rhyme and sound cool too, which is a RARE SKILL thus far. This might seem minor but I'm impressed by Illmac's ability to bring slang like "dead it" into his rhymes so it all sounds cool, instead of twisting a sentence structure into something that sounds weird but rhymes - which is something Dizaster does.

I've never been a huge Dizaster fan and, I mean, I haven't looked at the comments yet but I know one thing is that there's a huge Diz-Stan community and I'm expecting to find they're on here saying he won. I think the thing is, he's got an ultra-agressive performance style but I think his content is weak. Like he's rappin' loud and angry, I hear the word 'queer' twice in like 5 seconds, and it all ends with "you look broke as fuck" in an extra-angry tone. Well, whatever man, Illmac's just wearing some clothes, Mr. White-T. Then he says "does harry have you on allowance steady / jesus christ buy a new outfit already" like.. 'allowance steady' is the kind of awkward phrasing I would be surprised to hear come out of Illmac but expect from Diz. The thing about Jesus and two steps in the sand was decent.

At the same time, I'm also not a big fan of stuff like Illmac's 2nd rnd start "you were on my phone bitchin' a month and a half-ago." That's some testimony Judge Judy wouldn't tolerate although the rest of the round was pretty good. Diz is bringing up phone calls too. Overall Diz' second was better than his first. Illmac's whole third is a pretty intense takedown. Getting a lot of oooohhhhs.

Diz made a spin the mic reference everyone laughed at, I kinda remember watching part of that a looong time ago, I guess Illmac robbed Saurus or something. Diz 3rd round ending was weird though.. calling Illmac one of Santa's elves and trailing off in some freestyled badness.

90 second fourth rounds. A lot of behind the scenes stuff about Illmac's shady music partnerships or something. Illmac's saying some of the same things he's already said but in different ways. This round has some good rapping but is feeling a bit unnecessary as a battle round. Overall though, pretty good.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #37
Wtchr

March 20, 2009: Abstract Vision vs Black

Abstract Vision vs Black
March 20, 2009

Oh my god, these Jaze intros are great. "Grind Time New York. part Four. jaze Juce. January 3rd. happy New Year........ uhm,..... we're better than you. Generally. At the end of the day. Fuck Yall"

AV says something about comin' in y'all mouf in his intro. Black is so quiet in his intro you can't hear him, at all.

There's a point where you can hear where AV's premeds ended and his freestyling turns on. After he says "only time you move keys is when it dangles in his fuckin' pocket" I'm pretty sure he's done everything he came up with ahead of time. Someone in the crowd is facing away from the battle and I think its Wapps.

Black freestyles about streetlife. Black comes at AV for "copying his style," then gestures to Jaze.

AV ends both rounds with "word is born" but he had some time left at the second so he throws on a couple extra lines that don't mean anything.

Black has some funny lines but they're both just running out the clock, that's what they do in these battles where they're freestyling and its not always fun. Black's third was pretty solid.

Black won. Unanimous decision. Good.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:02 AM   #38
Emancee

Quote:
Good stuff, I don't know H-Bomb but F.L.O. is hella funny.

Lush says 'freshcoastbattles.com' in his intro. Was there ever such a website?

H-Bomb's got people clapping for him in his intro so people must know him, fewer people clapped for FLO.
H-bomb is another one of those Scribble Jam legends. Illmac, as returning champ, was supposed to breeze through the first couple of rounds of Scribble. However, H-bomb dropped the hilarious 'illmaculate/ got that name from Illmatic after some bad crack you hit' and controversially beat Illmac in the top 16. Only to then become another victim of Justice in the quarter finals.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:31 AM   #39
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
H-bomb is another one of those Scribble Jam legends. Illmac, as returning champ, was supposed to breeze through the first couple of rounds of Scribble. However, H-bomb dropped the hilarious 'illmaculate/ got that name from Illmatic after some bad crack you hit' and controversially beat Illmac in the top 16. Only to then become another victim of Justice in the quarter finals.
H-Bomb is a legend out here in Seattle. Safe to say he's moved on from battle rap but I used to see him at tons of events. Always out and supporting the scene. He makes good music too.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 05-23-2020, 04:54 AM   #40
RandallFlagg
Registered Loser

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
RandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time Australia
Thumbs up

Quote:
=Wtchr;762775Here's Jaze's intro, "Grind Time New York Part 4, knowaitimsayin its the fuckin' business as usual, We continue the way that it goes and just be expecting it from here on in
https://streamable.com/d6f93i

Last edited by RandallFlagg; 05-23-2020 at 07:24 AM.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote