Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
"We want barrrrrrz" Pat Stay vlog

Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2899 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
"We want barrrrrrz" Pat Stay vlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
yeah hes pretty on point.

the entire toronto hip hop head scene should be ashamed that they couldn't fill that venue considering the card tho.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
uuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarctica
REAL SHIT !!

killed this blog
Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Yagerbomb
FUCK

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Yagerbomb is not the worst person
Yea pat on point as fuck
Get 'em a fuccen soda
Yagerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

Mentioned: 640 Post(s)
I am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICE
We Want Bars!!!!! LOL!
Ain't no real rappers that want to step to me Son! Theses rappers are more softer than a sesame seed bun. Speaking of seeds Star Almighty's Mom is digesting these nuts and up next to roast you guys is ekelon nope forget it he sucks!
I am LIL ILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
yeah, i hate when people act like ~bars~ are the only thing that matters. the part about anyone + ghostwriter = idiots' top fives is so on point.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
realest shit he ever wrooteee
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Casual

Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
there's really no way around it though...the most limiting thing to battle raps growth will always be the barrier to entry.

even without the barzzzzz part...there's like a decade worth of history to absorb before you can just sit down and watch a new battle without having to worry about not catching something...

references to battlers history. sometimes the shit being referenced didnt even happen in a battle. you got dudes referencing shit that happened in a FB group of 500 people nowadays.
subtle flips of an old bar (that don't have nearly the impact if you didn't see that first bar). pat brings up him vs. hollohan which i agree for the most part is a good battle for people not deep in the scene, but even that has references to shit like "you fucking hypocrite" which wouldn't have nearly the impact if you don't know the origin.

wrestling has different eras and shit (afaik at least), where the story kinda resets...battling doesn't though... i think verb referenced un kasa in a recent battle, you think a random dude watching the battle is gonna have any idea whats going on with that?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I think at this point we need judging to return

Too many battlers purely pandering to their small group of dedicated yes men/fanboys/Facebook friends
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #10
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2899 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
this is why Cassidy beat Dizaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
riffic
RYD ;

riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
there's really no way around it though...the most limiting thing to battle raps growth will always be the barrier to entry.

even without the barzzzzz part...there's like a decade worth of history to absorb before you can just sit down and watch a new battle without having to worry about not catching something...

references to battlers history. sometimes the shit being referenced didnt even happen in a battle. you got dudes referencing shit that happened in a FB group of 500 people nowadays.
subtle flips of an old bar (that don't have nearly the impact if you didn't see that first bar). pat brings up him vs. hollohan which i agree for the most part is a good battle for people not deep in the scene, but even that has references to shit like "you fucking hypocrite" which wouldn't have nearly the impact if you don't know the origin.

wrestling has different eras and shit (afaik at least), where the story kinda resets...battling doesn't though... i think verb referenced un kasa in a recent battle, you think a random dude watching the battle is gonna have any idea whats going on with that?
pat's references don't need all the second level coding to get though... i mean, "you fucking hypocrite" is probably pointing out something hypocritical, "he mad right now" is a hilarious way to clown someone, etc...

but yeah i don't really show anyone battles anymore because trying to explain why things are good would be fucking exhausting.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzo View Post
i dont disagree that cass beat diz...i do disagree with what you're basing it off of.

i think all of this is an important aspect to battle rap, and part of what makes it so interesting. history is a big thing when it comes to hyping up matches and if every battle was just isolated in itself (ie. no references to anything historical, all shit that could be absorbed fully in that moment with no prior knowledge of the scene) you would lose that.

double edged sword tho.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #13
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
I noticed that Blackout wasn't sold out, which sucks, but it seemed like it was reasonably full. I agree that there is way too much emphasis on fitting a notion of what battling is supposed to be, and not enough on actually being creative/unique/authentic. That sucks, but it's kinda to be expected. Look at the music industry, there are a ton of really talented acts, but what percentage are legitimately doing something different. Past all that, increased complexity of lyrics has made it so that you're right, it probably isn't as accessible to someone new. That's an issue, but I'm not really sure how it gets solved
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #14
Hughms

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Hughms is not the worst person
i sincerely feel like this anti-bar push is latently racist
Hughms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #15
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughms View Post
i sincerely feel like this anti-bar push is latently racist
If so, it's such a crazy departure from like a few years ago, where the bars bars bars crowd were the KOTD folk whereas URL were mainly focussed on delivery
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

uuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarctica
blackout didnt even look close to half way filled up ..... am i wrong or ?

i was surprised by how few ppl turned out
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #17
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Quote:

Pat talking that shit.
Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #18
Rtongsta

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Rtongsta is better than Grind Time AustraliaRtongsta is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
blackout didnt even look close to half way filled up ..... am i wrong or ?

i was surprised by how few ppl turned out
nope you arent wrong. day 1 especially. like most the middle section of seats were still empty
Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

esp having seats and shit ?

get faded , sink in a seat and zone out sounds fucken good to me
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #20
Hughms

honestly i find many street "bars" to be funnier, and intentionally so, than the oshea "your mom smells like spaghetti" type shit, or Carter Deems "hahahahaha cats" stuff that this board, and I'm sure Pat too, seems to love so much... Like Lotta Zay saying "this lil boy will die when the B's swarm like McCauley Culkin in My Girl"... that shit is hilarious to me. What is Pat even referring to specifically, like gun-bars, wordplay, or is it just the URL style? I'm glad to hear him big up Lux and Mook and Hollow tho...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:47 PM   #21
Spacelab

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Spacelab is not the worst person
Quote:
YES this is exactly true.

And Pat makes a great point. You want to introduce someone to battles you always start with Dirtbag Dan and Soul Khan or Madness or stuff like that...things that aren't levels of injokes

battling becoming more convoluted and inside-fans only than Marvel Comics timelines (you see to get that joke, you need to know Cable is Scott Summers' son but from the future, but from an alternate timeline, etc..)

Average person: What the fuck?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #22
riffic
RYD ;

Quote:
honestly i find many street "bars" to be funnier, and intentionally so, than the oshea "your mom smells like spaghetti" type shit, or Carter Deems "hahahahaha cats" stuff that this board, and I'm sure Pat too, seems to love so much... Like Lotta Zay saying "this lil boy will die when the B's swarm like McCauley Culkin in My Girl"... that shit is hilarious to me. What is Pat even referring to specifically, like gun-bars, wordplay, or is it just the URL style? I'm glad to hear him big up Lux and Mook and Hollow tho...
he didn't mention URL at all in this, it's specifically about KOTD's fanbase... and he's not saying "do jokes instead of bars!" either (addresses this too), it's about cultivating a personality and being an authentic performer instead of just reciting generic bars that anyone can say
Quote:

Last edited by riffic; 02-16-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #23
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
KellyBetz of NoCoast is not the worst person
Pat speaks for me on this matter.
KellyBetz of NoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #24
NotATroll

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
NotATroll is not the worst person
pat is the man but still cheated charron
NotATroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #25
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
A lot of the dudes he mentions, like Danny Bulletz or 100 Nuborns, if you took their shit and just typed it out and you had some head try to guess who spit it without hearing it, they wouldn't be able to. Shit sucks but they can carry on if they want. But his point was you got little fucktrumpets like Charron jumping onto that trend without regard to originality or character. Shit sucks worse. Agreed.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #26
NotATroll

pat way off on this you gotta real a street dude. to rap about certain shit. thats false this shit is for entertainment only you can rap about whatever u want long as your creative.

charron gun bars>>>>>>>>>>>

but i agree you need personality and not just bars and your own style. charron has his own style so pat needs to lay off.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #27
NotATroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
A lot of the dudes he mentions, like Danny Bulletz or 100 Nuborns, if you took their shit and just typed it out and you had some head try to guess who spit it without hearing it, they wouldn't be able to. Shit sucks but they can carry on if they want. But his point was you got little fucktrumpets like Charron jumping onto that trend without regard to originality or character. Shit sucks worse. Agreed.
you cant list charron with them cause charron takes angles and has jokes he is far from just bars. so stop being a yes man or close minded.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #28
VAallDAY

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
this is a stupid ass blog for many reasons but the main one is...

why in the FUCK would u wanna show a hot girl a battle??? thats like showing a hot girl a football game or a boxing match

it doesnt matter whether u show her danny myers or u show her pat stay.. point is u shouldnt be showing a hot bitch a battle AT ALL if shes not into rap

battle rap is a sub group of HIP HOP

if u arent into HIP HOP already... then just stay away from battle rap...

i guarantee u that if u take a hip hop head who has never seen a modern day battle before and show him B-Magic he will think hes DOPE and has dope bars...

battle rap is and will always be about BARS & DELIVERY

Last edited by VAallDAY; 02-17-2015 at 12:30 AM.
VAallDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
Hughms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
how many people would you would be able to do that with, transcribe their lyrics and then try to guess who wrote them? what a stupid standard to invoke. you're saying they're generic i get it, but Danny Myers, 100 Bulletz, and Nuborn all have styles of their own that are easy to differentiate if you're willing, eh, able to pay close enough attention.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #30
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
how many people would you would be able to do that with, transcribe their lyrics and then try to guess who wrote them? what a stupid standard to invoke. you're saying they're generic i get it, but Danny Myers, 100 Bulletz, and Nuborn all have styles of their own that are easy to differentiate if you're willing, eh, able to pay close enough attention.
I absolutely promise you, a verse by people with real personalities like Head Ice, Ness Lee, Illmac, Lux, Hollow, Bender, Saurus, a whole bunch of people, stand out miles ahead of those dudes and would get matched to who said them so fast. If you wanted to play that game. But the other dudes operate within a real small and clearly defined comfort zone, and yeah I can pay attention real easy but it gets tedious after a while. There's only so many times I can hear someone use candy bars and children's TV shows to talk about shooting someone and they all do that with only the slightest twist. I don't want people using templates, as a fan. I wanna hear something I've never heard before and I know I'm not likely to get that from Danny Myers.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #31
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
yeah hes pretty on point.

the entire toronto hip hop head scene should be ashamed that they couldn't fill that venue considering the card tho.
how bad was the attendance and was the weather a legitimate excuse? i heard organik or someone say if it wasn't for the worst part of winter happening that weekend the place wouldve been full
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #32
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I actually think part of the problem is the opposite. So many people want to appeal to people who know nothing about battle rap that they dumb it down.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #33
VAallDAY

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
I actually think part of the problem is the opposite. So many people want to appeal to people who know nothing about battle rap that they dumb it down.
#FACTS

battle rap is not, will never be, and should never even try to be a big stage thing
VAallDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #34
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1156 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
pat stay is a huge faggot
SpecialOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #35
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
This is on point and ive expressed this sentiment many times in the past

The worst thing about the bars obsession in my opinion is that even those in the audience who DO understand all the coding have to focus so intensely that there is far less time for the crowd to react, because instead of relaxing and having a good time watching a battle they have to be tense with concentration trying to catch everything

and as a result the crowds don't react the way they used to, so the footage sucks

The bars thing is not a fad IMO its here to stay and ill tell you why

Although it takes creativity to write bars with dense wordplay, this style of writing actually makes writing for opponents easier because its easier to fill out a verse that is several minutes long if you can incorporate all these schemes

the golden age of battling is over, I will be truly shocked if the "culture" socalled does anything from here except stagnate.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #36
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
he makes a good point but i think its dumb and shitty that he's willing to specifically name people that do this, and then defend them in the same sentence

he needs to say: "look, Danny Myers, you're a nice guy, but you're part of the problem"
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:03 AM   #37
Beaux Jangles
bojangles snappin!!!

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Beaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICE
Bars are a big equalizer...just like he said, it can get a nerd listened to...I agree with his sentiment though that there needs to be more to gravitate towards other than bars...I get turned off when a battler thinks he wrote profound shit...if you are an educated person it usually comes off as insultin!!!
GoldRaffleBojangles,SnowsCastleBojangles,QuoteSnap pleBojangles,ClothesNaturalBojangles,BrosBlackHole Bojangles,PulpedMangosBojangles,WroteDjangoBojangl es,SoakedFlannelBojangles,RogueAngelBojangles,Home NashvilleBojangles,CrowsHateLawsBojangles,ToveAvri lBojangles,ThrowShrapnelBojangles,GrossRainbowBoja ngles,NoRacialBojangles,RomeStatueBojangles
Beaux Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #38
CBA

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
Ok the thing is if Charron talked about how he watches Fox news, plays call of duty all night long, and dropped adult swim related bars, I doubt he'd get many views. I think the thing is, if the "barrzzzz" sound good, the person should get a pass.

And the word play thing is gay if it's overly used, but I don't think that means you should never use it. Murda Mook IMO took a pretty unique approach where he went really personal on Lux, yeah he copied some of Hollow's stuff but he took it much further then Hollow did, mixed in a lot of word play but made everything easy to understand, and everyone thought it sucked lol. Essentially people are going to nit pick about anything.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:42 AM   #40
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
I couldn't even finish this, its just too grating to watch people encourage the bastardization of hip hop. Stopped it right after he said "the average person doesn't want to hear that, unless they're really into lyrics." I mean, who does he think battle rap is for?

@Hughms and @VAallDAY are talking that real shit. Pat is good at what he does, but he has a really wacky perspective on what hip hop and battle rap are supposed to be about.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facts