Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
How does one start battling ?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
How does one start battling ?

I love to write, I love battle rap. I been watching battle rap since 99. I'm 25 years old. I used to frequent jumpoff.tv and grew up thinking ill and the Saurus were the greatest freestylers of all time. I always wanted to do a battle, but nothing ever came thru. Me and Ledge even spoke about doing a league in jersey about 3 years ago before leagues would pop up out of the wood works every couple days. I even spoke to Erik about battling, he wasn't interested. Now I honestly think it's too late and the culture is overly saturated now for a genuine long time fan of the genre to get involved. Before you scream out "oh fag you wanna actually battle," keep in mind I didn't say I wanna be on URL 😂😂😂😂 I just said its a sport I would like to actually do.
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
st0ned
Contributor

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
st0ned is not the worst person
Find small leagues in your area and start going to their events and network there.

It's never too late, I had my first battle at 37 and now I can't get smack to stop calling me trying to get me on sm6.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
st0ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Maybe you can slide Gully TK $100. Or Absyrd a baconator.
JC
All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #4
LukeWaltonisGoat

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
If you can't go to gz and 3-0 a nigga then you probably shouldn't be battling somebody set it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you are the sturdy femurs that keep this forum upright

@I am LIL ILL is the heart
LukeWaltonisGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
wwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarctica
First you need to learn how to talk the juice
wwjjddd? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #6
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
whatever you do, don't shout us out if you get big

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i watched for years asked when the tryouts were for the most acessible league and worked fine for me i only just started writing this year though
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i simply recommend reaching out to your local leagues. there's gotta be a few in jersey. if you don't think they're any good, reach out to the trap if you're close to NYC. the trap is probably the best (or at least the most popular) developmental league in NY. if the trap ain't your style, i imagine that there are plenty of other leagues here that may suit you.

i always wanted to battle tbh. i never wrote lyrics to anything until around this year when i started writing for fun. if i ever get comfortable with writing, i'd love to go on the trap.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #9
Gopher D'Gusto

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Gopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Gopher D'Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #10
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1156 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
gully on snapchat

u can battle on nocoast anytime by pm-ing kelly betz but they are a very small league so u have to pay them

get a camera, get an opponent and film it n make a highlight video u can show which ever league ud like to battle on imo i think every1 will ask for that

Last edited by SpecialOh; 08-18-2016 at 12:12 AM.
SpecialOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #11
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
I love to write, I love battle rap. I been watching battle rap since 99. I'm 25 years old. I used to frequent jumpoff.tv and grew up thinking ill and the Saurus were the greatest freestylers of all time. I always wanted to do a battle, but nothing ever came thru. Me and Ledge even spoke about doing a league in jersey about 3 years ago before leagues would pop up out of the wood works every couple days. I even spoke to Erik about battling, he wasn't interested. Now I honestly think it's too late and the culture is overly saturated now for a genuine long time fan of the genre to get involved. Before you scream out "oh fag you wanna actually battle," keep in mind I didn't say I wanna be on URL 😂😂😂😂 I just said its a sport I would like to actually do.
wait when was I not interested? lml I'd def be interested in seeing you battle
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 AM   #12
Battlehogg

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ned View Post
Find small leagues in your area and start going to their events and network there.

It's never too late, I had my first battle at 37 and now I can't get smack to stop calling me trying to get me on sm6.

With all due respect. You would be a better example of what not to do. To be 37yo to make your debut in your own basement against a bottom tier like E Farrel that you have paid to be there is not a good look. Your rounds were arguably the worst ever to be spit in rap battle history. Most people would of learned from this but you further embarrassed yourself in your Eric Foreman battle. It might of been an even worse than your first battle.

Quite pathetic really
Battlehogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #13
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 835 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i think you already know how
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 AM   #14
st0ned
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlehogg View Post
With all due respect. You would be a better example of what not to do. To be 37yo to make your debut in your own basement against a bottom tier like E Farrel that you have paid to be there is not a good look. Your rounds were arguably the worst ever to be spit in rap battle history. Most people would of learned from this but you further embarrassed yourself in your Eric Foreman battle. It might of been an even worse than your first battle.

Quite pathetic really
Wow you seem kind of salty. First Farrell wasn't paid to battle me (although he deserved to be, his round was fire). I have fun with life, you should try it.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:42 AM   #15
Battlehogg

Battlehogg is better than Grind Time AustraliaBattlehogg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ned View Post
Wow you seem kind of salty. First Farrell wasn't paid to battle me (although he deserved to be, his round was fire). I have fun with life, you should try it.

Na but you would of paid for his flights n shit to come to your party. Did he even buy you a present? Anyways man you do you. I ain't salty. Just the point I was trying to make is that your not the best example of how to Persue a battle rap career.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 AM   #16
st0ned
Contributor

Quote:
Na but you would of paid for his flights n shit to come to your party. Did he even buy you a present? Anyways man you do you. I ain't salty. Just the point I was trying to make is that your not the best example of how to Persue a battle rap career.
I was being extremely facetious as far as that was concerned, I don't consider myself having a career as a battler lol.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:04 AM   #17
SpecialOh

SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
Quote:
your not the best example of how to Persue a battle rap career.

OP just say he likes doing it on a hobby type level

u know how ppl play hockey n soccer or pac-man or w.e..
st0ned is the perfect example of what he asked
Old 08-18-2016, 03:19 AM   #18
Battlehogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post
OP just say he likes doing it on a hobby type level

u know how ppl play hockey n soccer or pac-man or w.e..
st0ned is the perfect example of what he asked
We might have to agree to disagree on that one
Old 08-18-2016, 04:27 AM   #19
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 943 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
Been saying for a minute that a bunch of RMBVA posters need to meet up and throw our own event for shits and giggles. Whoever does well can go on to pursue more battles, whoever doesn't will at least die knowing they spit it darker one time wagwan.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 AM   #20
Hu$tLe WiLsoN

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Hu$tLe WiLsoN probably likes in here/hair word play
Since 99'? Shit thats how long Ive been doing this. Rapmusic.com alumni

I just recently had my first battle at a BOTZ6. I think most people will see that I'm unusually seasoned for my first live battle. As a fan of the culture, I just wanted to be more of a part of it, and I think battling was the best way I could go to events. Its def worth it but can be stressful as shit.

@SonnyDaze

Rmbva bunker event

@ErikForeman got that
Old 08-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #21
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Probably showing my age here, but we used to roll to hiphop events and find people to challenge and battle them. That taught us what did and didn't work. Then just enter the next MC battle by paying the, like, 10 bucks entry fee until you get to the level they let you battle for free/ money.

But yeah, you usually have to pay at first or at least battle for free. It's only when you get to a big level that the opposite happens (Warning: Advice may have a sell-by-date in the late 2003s).
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #22
RonRon da Dong
Ronald R. McDongald

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
RonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Randomly won a freestyle battle at a bar in Indy and decided to give it a shot so I started out by contacting smaller leagues in places that I wanted to travel to anyways since obviously no league is going to cover your travel expenses right off the bat without knowing what you can bring. First out of state battle I booked was in Colorado with Coloradorap and later moved on to VoiceBoxBattles in AZ when they were still around. All in all it takes alot of investing in yourself with little to no thanks or return, but can still be rewarding.

If you're interested in booking in Colorado (which has its incentives) you should contact Marcus Garcia @ Coloradorap, good place to start and Ive never had any lost footy issues with them. NoCoast is expanding as well, hit up Ray Myers or Masta Shake if you wanna try and book in ATL, MN, MO, or IL.

I got 4 more bars hold on ..

then rap a whole 16

Last edited by RonRon da Dong; 08-18-2016 at 02:26 PM.
RonRon da Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #23
Prelec
kevin

Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
Prelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICE
There are tons of smaller leagues where you asily get a match, just reach out and you'll be battling in notime, if you wanna battle then go for it
Prelec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
SpecialOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelec View Post
There are tons of smaller leagues where you asily get a match, just reach out and you'll be battling in notime, if you wanna battle then go for it
didnt u join some kind of competition or was it just the league doing a competition
Old 08-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #25
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
stare at the mirror and resite "lose yourself" x1000

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #26
Prelec
kevin

Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
Prelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICE
Quote:
didnt u join some kind of competition or was it just the league doing a competition
Joined the league itself

Prelec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
Ryuha

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Ryuha is not the worst person
the answer is: "Karaoke...."
Ryuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #28
SHOWTIME

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
SHOWTIME is better than Grind Time AustraliaSHOWTIME is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
I think the point @st0ned was making that it's never too late to do something like battle rap for fun. He understood what I meant about not doing this for a career or to get on Sunmer madness 12 but just as participating in an beloved hobby. I appreciate y'all responses, I honestly thought this board was gonna 🔥🔥🔥 me for this.. And @ErikForeman I appreciate that bro, I tried hitting you up on IG to battle you didn't seem to interested... Well put up our Rolexes loser only got time to lose ya herdddd
SHOWTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #29
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Mentioned: 962 Post(s)
Dank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hu$tLe WiLsoN View Post

I just recently had my first battle at a BOTZ6. I think most people will see that I'm unusually seasoned for my first live battle. As a fan of the culture, I just wanted to be more of a part of it, and I think battling was the best way I could go to events. Its def worth it but can be stressful as shit.
1. i look forward to this battle

2. battling as a reason to go to events >>>>

3. most leagues will want to see at least a little something from you, make a video of you spitting some bars and send it to who ever runs local leagues.
MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Dank Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #30
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1284 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hu$tLe WiLsoN View Post

@SonnyDaze

Rmbva bunker event

@ErikForeman got that
I need to see your battle asap
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
DonnaDaMom
LoM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
DonnaDaMom is not the worst person
I usually start off by saying

"I SAIDDD YOOO!..."
DonnaDaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #32
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
I say battling is a past time not a job for most. If you ever want to try you should try it. View it more of joining a local ball league than trying to make it to the NBA if you like basketball. As others have said find a local league in your area network there. You can usually do a tryout battle. Post it in here when you do. If you are good opps will come your way.

Good luck

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #33
djpompey
No Coast President

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
djpompey is not the worst person
Quote:
u can battle on nocoast anytime by pm-ing kelly betz but they are a very small league so u have to pay them
Not sure where you heard we were charging for tryouts, we're not. Bigger leagues are actually more likely to, it weeds out the less serious people cause newcomers no show often.

In general, +1 to everyone that said find stuff popping in your area and attend regularly.

If you don't have footage, get an acapella battle verse up on youtube at least, that's gonna help with getting a matchup.

If you decide to call out someone in your area, shoot for someone interesting but realistic (not many battles) and be respectful.

The organizers are ultimately the ones to talk to, and they get hit up a lot by half-serious people so follow up periodically. Good luck!
djpompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #34
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Good luck man!
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #35
SpecialOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpompey View Post
Not sure where you heard we were charging for tryouts, we're not. Bigger leagues are actually more likely to, it weeds out the less serious people cause newcomers no show often.

In general, +1 to everyone that said find stuff popping in your area and attend regularly.

If you don't have footage, get an acapella battle verse up on youtube at least, that's gonna help with getting a matchup.

If you decide to call out someone in your area, shoot for someone interesting but realistic (not many battles) and be respectful.

The organizers are ultimately the ones to talk to, and they get hit up a lot by half-serious people so follow up periodically. Good luck!
i was just making a joke cuz yall so small
yet so helpful

Tags
128293, 128514