Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Gjonaj v Real Deal

Old 07-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Gjonaj v Real Deal

Okay, does anyone remember when Gjonaj announced on the SMACK/URL stage, when he was supposed to promote his battle v Real Deal - "who wants to see me battle Dizaster?? YŠll wanna see me battle Dizaster??"

and Beasley said WTF did you say that for...? Then it turned out to be some stunt to promote a KOTD battle that effectively killed his career...? and he got blackballed from URL...?

Man it just hit me sittin here listening to Gjonaj v Gutta for the first time in a while.....Gjonaj v Real Deal would have been an excellent battle....especially on URL..

Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Emancee

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
His career on URL probably would have survived if he hadn't strongarmed Snack over his earlier battle footage. Trying to bully Smack is never a good idea.

It is hilarious listening to the Gjonaj is GOAT fans though. He basically only ever beat one or two good battlers
Nuts like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #3
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Gjonaj had so much potential. His "stuck in traffic" bar is still one of my all time favorites, impact wise. I think he and Trevor would be a good clash, but I think Deal would out bar him at the end of the day. Shame that he ended his own career by calling Diz out. That was an embarrassing thing to witness, and I copped that shit on PPV.

Not a big fan of Gjonaj as I think he really tries too hard for his "battle voice" but he's decent. I hope he makes a comeback. But back to the point of this thread, this would be a flames battle if both came prepared.
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #4
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Continuation from above...

Jesus I forgot how bad the body was here. Diz's impersonation of Gnonaj is fucking hilarious. This really was the end of homie's career. Even his crew looked sad for him. Diz was clearly looking up bars on his phone and still killed him.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 AM   #5
iamHBY

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
His career on URL probably would have survived if he hadn't strongarmed Snack over his earlier battle footage. Trying to bully Smack is never a good idea.

It is hilarious listening to the Gjonaj is GOAT fans though. He basically only ever beat one or two good battlers
I wonder who originally leaked the battle that forced URL to put up the official footage like the day after that leak?
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
clapburn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
clapburn probably likes in here/hair word play
Fucking with diz in cali was a terrible idea. He shoulda waited a while or not done that
clapburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Emancee

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I wonder who originally leaked the battle that forced URL to put up the official footage like the day after that leak?
I think from the way things turned out that was likely an associate of Gjonaj's. #battlerapunsolvedmysteries
Nuts like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapburn View Post
Fucking with diz in cali was a terrible idea. He shoulda waited a while or not done that
the thing is that he was mad comfortable in that small room at Black Star, where I haven't ever really noticed any "bias", whereas he was out in a situation where you had Diz's whole entourage acting like assholes, just WANTING Gjonaj to get slaughtered and seeming to express that, instead of appreciating the idea of an actually decent battle, and respecting the environment. It was a completely different dynamic , who knows what all happened before the battle even started?
Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
StabYourself
Seasoned Fan

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
StabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
the thing is that he was mad comfortable in that small room at Black Star, where I haven't ever really noticed any "bias", whereas he was out in a situation where you had Diz's whole entourage acting like assholes, just WANTING Gjonaj to get slaughtered and seeming to express that, instead of appreciating the idea of an actually decent battle, and respecting the environment. It was a completely different dynamic , who knows what all happened before the battle even started?
I was in the room for that battle, and absolutely nothing happened lol. He didn't get to the venue until right before the battle started, while Diz was there earlier in the day pacing around worrying about his own shit. Diz's whole entourage was all of what, 3 people? And everyone in the building was genuinely stoked to see Gjonaj, he got a good reception when he was introduced and his first round fell super fuckin flat in the room. After all the dope people that were on before him (fresco/thesaurus, Bigg k/caustic, even a lackluster "Crip in a box" daylyt vs qp), Gjonaj had a high bar to hit and his first didn't do it, neither did his half-round second round. He wasn't ready and got fucking bodied, that's nobody's fault but his own.
StabYourself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabYourself View Post
I was in the room for that battle, and absolutely nothing happened lol. He didn't get to the venue until right before the battle started, while Diz was there earlier in the day pacing around worrying about his own shit. Diz's whole entourage was all of what, 3 people? And everyone in the building was genuinely stoked to see Gjonaj, he got a good reception when he was introduced and his first round fell super fuckin flat in the room. After all the dope people that were on before him (fresco/thesaurus, Bigg k/caustic, even a lackluster "Crip in a box" daylyt vs qp), Gjonaj had a high bar to hit and his first didn't do it, neither did his half-round second round. He wasn't ready and got fucking bodied, that's nobody's fault but his own.
true definitely that he shoulda prepped better and it was disappointing and bizarre. as for the rest, I am probably in a biased way remembering things differently
Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #11
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
I think from the way things turned out that was likely an associate of Gjonaj's. #battlerapunsolvedmysteries
That'd certainly explain how a 360p resolution but fully edited version of that battle managed to come out before URL officially released it. That said, I think Bigg K's assessment of the mistakes Gjonaj made going into the battle with Dizaster still hold up.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #12
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
I think Bigg K's assessment of the mistakes Gjonaj made going into the battle with Dizaster still hold up.
what was that assessment?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
if gjonaj came back this year it would still be the best thing to happen in battle rap in years for me tbh , his earlier battles have crazy replay value , went too soon at diz , should not have left url and began thinking he was too smart for the crowd were his big mistakes but he was still a breath of fresh air
Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #14
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
if gjonaj came back this year it would still be the best thing to happen in battle rap in years for me tbh , his earlier battles have crazy replay value , went too soon at diz , should not have left url and began thinking he was too smart for the crowd were his big mistakes but he was still a breath of fresh air
I liked early Gnonaj, too. Who are your current favorites? Would expand more but I'm on work break. Not asking for a huge list, maybe current top 3 for you?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #15
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Early Gnonaj - pun was not intended lol
Old 07-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodOfPez View Post
I liked early Gnonaj, too. Who are your current favorites? Would expand more but I'm on work break. Not asking for a huge list, maybe current top 3 for you?
probably geechi , rum nitty and ave but if feels like slim pickings at the moments there's barely any top battlers where i feel like i have to see them no matter who they're facing at the moment
Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #17
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
probably geechi , rum nitty and ave but if feels like slim pickings at the moments there's barely any top battlers where i feel like i have to see them no matter who they're facing at the moment
Good list. I love Ave. Rum is one of my favorites but tends to be all over the place at times.

Really looking forward to this Hollow/Lux collabo --- this could be the next big movement for battle rap. I'm hoping I'm right.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:08 AM   #18
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
what was that assessment?
So in an interview with RapGrid after the battle happened, Bigg K talked about Gjonaj made some major strategic mistakes against Dizaster. First, he took the battle too early, he could've built up to it, but he fell hook line and sinker for Diz's ultimatum about how B2B 3 was going to be the only time he'd accept the battle. Secondly, and biggest of all, K said that Gjonaj went into the battle with the wrong approach as far as going in like "I'm the new notable name, Dizaster is beneath me in skill level," not realizing that Dizaster had a specific strategy in mind when accepting the battle. K later stated that Gjonaj should've taken the approach that K took against Illmac, where he treated the battle like "Oh you think you're better than me? I'll show you what I'm capable of," and managed to hold his own with a vet instead of getting steamrolled over.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #19
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
So in an interview with RapGrid after the battle happened, Bigg K talked about Gjonaj made some major strategic mistakes against Dizaster. First, he took the battle too early, he could've built up to it, but he fell hook line and sinker for Diz's ultimatum about how B2B 3 was going to be the only time he'd accept the battle. Secondly, and biggest of all, K said that Gjonaj went into the battle with the wrong approach as far as going in like "I'm the new notable name, Dizaster is beneath me in skill level," not realizing that Dizaster had a specific strategy in mind when accepting the battle. K later stated that Gjonaj should've taken the approach that K took against Illmac, where he treated the battle like "Oh you think you're better than me? I'll show you what I'm capable of," and managed to hold his own with a vet instead of getting steamrolled over.
nice man thanks, i knew you'd be good for it

and Bigg K 2 1 Illmac with certainty

In ya spare time ya stay up in Oregon and tye-dye shit!

Tags
battlerapunsolvedmysteries