Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Original Content Avocado: One year of sobriety

Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Avocado: One year of sobriety

Avo is a true jewel in our scene. This old man got a little teary eyed at the earnestness and courage he exudes in the video.

Give it a watch. RYD out. We love Avocado. Fuck a “no homo”

I will soon be hitting 11 years of sobriety. 06 Sep 2008. Kicked a daily habit of 8-12mg Xanax and 15-25 Percocet. It took 136 days before I could sleep more than an hour a night.

Y’all stay good out there.
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
eapoe

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
eapoe is a PY Poster
Avo is a person that can tell his story without being overly emotional or self centered. I can't stand videos like these but this was inspiring.
eapoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
nice

I just realized recently again it's time to swear off alcohol to live my life to the fullest

10 days today

definitely respecting of those acknowledging their own reality

life is never as we plan it's more a - at times - seemingly random panorama of events. we must learn to live as we go through them, but especially when we can see beyond the veil, that it is not all so random actually

Last edited by Feral Linguist; 07-18-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AntarcticaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AntarcticaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Watched this last night

Sounded like he made the right choice for himself; respect to that man
Neanderthol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #5
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Much respect to those that can harness their inhibitions to alter their reality. I've only ever drank, never any other drug. I'm hoping to slow down once I have a family, which is in progress. Respect to Kyle for 1 year though! That's good shit. Props to anybody who can stop doing what might be holding them back.
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
wwjjddd?
^gotta ask yourself

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
wwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarcticawwjjddd? is better than Grind Time Antarctica
wow. i returned to rmbva today because i heard about LiL iLL's adult videos, but i found this. Shoutout Avo man. i got a mountain of respect for him.
u a cracked out fatty like butts are
~fever
wwjjddd? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #7
track 1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
track 1 is not the worst person
this video wasn't necessary. keep your personal life off cam
track 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 AM   #8
StankDaddy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
Quote:
Originally Posted by track 1 View Post
I understand where this comes from, but having been on the otherside multiple times (different substances) its incredibly cathartic putting things like this out and helps maintain resolve. Not just the support that tends to flow in after the fact but just rustling up the courage to say something like this publicly which A. makes you vulnerable and B. means the stakes of maintaining sobriety are then much, much higher (people know you're making the effort and fucking up disappoints them as well as yourself). It can be really helpful and for some types of people is necessary to solidify the resolve to keep pushing through day after day.
StankDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
would not have called this from avo tbf this was a great watch and been having similar experiences with drinking for a while but have managed to cut down recently dont think i'll ever be one of those people that will fully not drink at all i can respect the self control it takes to realise you need to make a change though
Old 07-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapoe View Post
Avo is a person that can tell his story without being overly emotional or self centered. I can't stand videos like these but this was inspiring.
*Exactly*. Avo had no gain whatsoever except for personal accountability out of appreciation for his fans.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
Smokey-Clovn
Krakkka Killa

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Smokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICE
Avo 3-0`ing life
good battle.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
not necessary but positive right?

if we only do what's necessary what is life?

we are social creatures who thrive from self expression and relating to one another as well
Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #13
clapburn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
clapburn probably likes in here/hair word play
Dam. I get keeping things to yourself offline fully. Idk, prolly more inspirational when u are a real alcoholic.. but dam. Nice work
clapburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #14
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I often worry ill take drinking too far one day and ruin it forever

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #15
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
op, i used to be prescribed xanax and it's a BITCH to get off of. Percs are no joke either. congrats on your 11 years.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyProehl View Post
I often worry ill take drinking too far one day and ruin it forever
it's an interesting dynamic isn't it

it's said that you have to hit rock bottom before you decide it's not worth it to keep harming yourself, if that is what you perceive happening

it's ideally the best to not wait until it's too late, or to drive yourself to that point.... but can one really make it stop without hitting the lowest low?

for me, like Avocado is saying in this video, the loss of the best relationship with a female I have ever had was the main driving force for me to realize it had to end.

so as important as that is to me, I did not kill anyone, wreck my car, break multiple bones etc.... in a way we can say "it could have been worse" but do we want to approach anything near any of these sorts of tragedies?

of course it is up to the individual to decide, but as he said as well, if you are asking yourself Do I have a problem? then you very well may
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #17
Water Mage

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Much love to Avocado ::::

Life is a journey through the deepest darkness and back to the light. Don't let anyone tell you that the light isn't out there, including yourself

And don't let anyone tell you that the light isn't in you already, including yourself

By being stricken down and harmed we learn to love healing

and we learn to love and heal ourselves
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #18
culturedboy
NEVERcultured.com/tag/br

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
culturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ posterculturedboy is a GZ poster
Quote:
eat shit nerd negged

click the con face to learn yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
(neg me all you want i'm too big to fail now)
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #19
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1193 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
wow, thank you guys so much. love you all!
really appreciate this!

also congrats on the 11 years. if you guys are wanting a place to talk, every wednesday at 5pm pst there will be an hour stream on ryd where the chat is open to discuss anything, addictions, struggles in life, anything. come by if you're in need of someone to talk to, the floors open and its a safe space.

Last edited by AVOCADO; 07-21-2019 at 07:10 AM.
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
irvsykeg is not the worst person
Quote:
necessary to what? he ain't on your time, you dingbat. it's his channel.

avo now that u knocked off drinking, now u knock off saying "umm" when speaking! this damn video made me realize how much i do that shit too

congrats again bro, ur the man

also wtf u were/are really talented at graphic design vfx shit, shoutout iron mans dinger

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:10 AM   #21
Ass Napkin Ed
NEGRO NAZI

Mentioned: 515 Post(s)
Ass Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local leagueAss Napkin Ed is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
wow, thank you guys so much. love you all!
really appreciate this!
You still gay as hell dog

I am Malcolm ED
By ANE Means Necessary
Ass Napkin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #22
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodOfPez View Post
Much respect to those that can harness their inhibitions to alter their reality. I've only ever drank, never any other drug. I'm hoping to slow down once I have a family, which is in progress. Respect to Kyle for 1 year though! That's good shit. Props to anybody who can stop doing what might be holding them back.
growing up with an alcoholic father, gotta post some unsolicited, but well-meaning advice.

dont wait to slow down, you may find yourself suddenly in a situation where its callin to you even more, and it might really fuck your life up, then again maybe not, just a healthy counterpoint on an important topic
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #23
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
growing up with an alcoholic father, gotta post some unsolicited, but well-meaning advice.

dont wait to slow down, you may find yourself suddenly in a situation where its callin to you even more, and it might really fuck your life up, then again maybe not, just a healthy counterpoint on an important topic
I appreciate that man, I hope all is well with you and your father. Honestly. I've seen plenty of shattered homes growing up. I'm still trying to get the party out of my system.
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #24
Emancee

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post

This. Plus watch out for your addictions sneaking out in other ways too. They're crafty devils and next thing you know you're addicted to some random thing without even noticing.
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #25
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
irvsykeg is not the worst person
ha y'all bums worried about becoming addicted to random shit

*posts 50,000 times on grown man mean poetry contests for 16 years*

alcohol is def a bad thing to be addicted to tho. my ex-gfs dad was drinking x amount of beers after work each day just as routine. got sick and didn't get his beers in him and wound up having a strike while DTs kicked in. shit was fucked up.

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #26
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
ha y'all bums worried about becoming addicted to random shit

alcohol is def a bad thing to be addicted to tho. my ex-gfs dad was drinking x amount of beers after work each day just as routine. got sick and didn't get his beers in him and wound up having a strike while DTs kicked in. shit was fucked up.
it's so fuckin dangerous for a mountain of variables

i was just havin breakfast with someone i thought was cool, who i met the other day, and he was out mad late and still toasted, just noting all the personaliry changes, it's pathetic and ugly really, no judgement against them, but wow, it tears ya up in ways that are not easily realized
Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
Feral Linguist
otbva

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodOfPez View Post
I appreciate that man, I hope all is well with you and your father. Honestly. I've seen plenty of shattered homes growing up. I'm still trying to get the party out of my system.
Beleza. To elaborate, everything is good with *us* now, but you should see *him*, that's the idea. lonely, broken, divorced, with a colostomy bag, alcohol is one of the biggest understated carcinogens; and in a way it's like a prison sentence, sure he has me and my brothers who could all be less successful, to have pride in but that is absolutely tainted, a lifetime of regret to look back on, how he could have been a more complete person, aside from a more rational and decent father and husband.

now there is definitely a huge difference between alcoholic products too, cheaper stuff tends to be worse for you, some homemade stuff is healthier if done right, but maybe not at the same time. But depending on the person that shouldn't be an excuse.

something i was told in meetings (i do not cosign AA but picked up on some wisdom there, such as anywhere) is that you only stop the suffering when you've had enough. I hit rock bottom not ODing or getting a DUI, just realizing it raped me of my true self, who is intelligent and kind, understanding and patient. the realization crushed me and cost me the best woman i ever had in my life. sure we're friends still, we click like soulmates, but see the above- it is now tainted, such as the alcoholic father who knows his kids are good, but he barely met them halfway. Theres a parallel there and these are two of the most important human relationships, the love of your life and your parent.

Now yeah, in the early stages of sobriety, i drink more coffee, smoke more cigarettes, so more to dial down on. but i know for sure alcohol fucks me up way too hard, makes me angry, irrational - basically nothing a man should be.

it's up to every individual to decide when they've had enough, and their reasons to stop. Ive met even married couples who both drink heavy and nothing is ever right. But what do i know, im just one guy and there are billions of us.

Maybe none of this applies to you, whoever is reading this - everyone has different body chemistry, but consider all of your options, and dont ever make an excuse if you consider it could be reducing your quality of life. i know its in my bloodline. Again, not personal to anyone reading this, I do not know you, but maybe I know something you dont know.... in the end this is just another human experience to maybe take a piece of knowledge from.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #28
Emancee

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post

True, but the like one minute out of my life to do this forum every day is hardly time I would use more productively. Whereas unhealthy addictions can take days/weeks out of your life without realising it.
Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans, Cassidy...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #29
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
i think i've become addicted to excercising to a degree. Triathlon does that to you.

i feel miserable when i don't get my workout in, even when it's because i'm ill. when i'm at work and unmotivated, i cheer myself up with stuff like "hey you'll get to ride your bike for 2 hours later".

i mean, clearly this is much better than when i used to drink every day and get smashed every weekend (at least), but still...always gotta be mindful of that addiction-prone personality trait. i think it stays with us for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:03 PM   #30
ass2myface

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
ass2myface is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Diary View Post
i think i've become addicted to excercising to a degree. Triathlon does that to you.

i feel miserable when i don't get my workout in, even when it's because i'm ill. when i'm at work and unmotivated, i cheer myself up with stuff like "hey you'll get to ride your bike for 2 hours later".

i mean, clearly this is much better than when i used to drink every day and get smashed every weekend (at least), but still...always gotta be mindful of that addiction-prone personality trait. i think it stays with us for life.
Yeah the addictive personality will always be present and people tend to substitute their original vice with something else. People that quit drinking/drugs tend to rev up either another vice, gambling, binge eating, excessive shopping, more risky fucking lol, over working out etc etc.

If you have an addictive personality, it's hard to do things in moderation, part of the reason for getting hooked/abusing things. I started smoking more after removing booze, been bout a 1.5 years. Not the ideal alternative, but in a better place then before.
ass2myface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #31
My Kall

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Sobriety is essential for me, but everyone's brain chemistry is different. I don't use any recreational drugs/alcohol. Although I was only an alcohol and marijuana user from ages 17-20, so I don't have much empirical recreational drug knowledge.

Since early 2017, the only medication/mind altering substance I use is 25mg of zoloft daily, and there are zero negative side effects for me on that dosage thankfully, at least none that I can detect. But I'll consult with my doctor to fully withdraw soon to maximize my chemical/emotional naturalness and see how I adapt. I am a bit anxious that 4 and a half years of SSRI consumption has conditioned my mind to expect the consistent serenity associated with SSRIs, but the dreaminess and tranquillity I experience now pales in comparison to the superfluous levels of dreaminess and tranquillity I experienced on 100-150 mg in 2015/2016, thankfully I never experienced any physical side effects, but it turned me into a bit of a weirdo living in a fantasy land lol. I cringe now about how weird and pilled out I must have behaved in 2015/2016, I feel so much embarrassment. But 2 and a half years ago I adapted to a big reduction okay I think, so I'm optimistic. I also didn't find the brain-zaps intolerable, just a bit irritating. BUT NEVER try and withdraw from antidepressants of your own accord without recieving medical guidance.

Admittedly I'm also a caffeine addict, but I limit myself to 4 cups of coffee or 2 strong coffees and a litre of Diet Pepsi per day, and I get positive results, I'd operate worse without it. I used to guzzle 3 litres of Diet Pepsi a day back in 2015 lol, just artificially over stimulating myself, destabilizing my circadian rhythms.

I'm very privileged that I've never suffered a severe physical injury though necessitating a painkiller or worse oxy intervention though. I feel very sympathetic towards opioid victims.

Last edited by My Kall; 08-11-2019 at 06:51 PM.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:16 AM   #32
My Kall

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
I don't think you need to directly or indirectly experience the horrors of a vice to learn to not dabble with it. I stopped getting drunk at 20 because the alcohol transformed me into an aggressive, obnoxious, over-confident jerk. I also found waking up in the morning with zero recollection of the previous day terrifying. I embarrassed myself so mortifyingly that I still feel traumatized by those episodes to this day and I'm now in my late 20s.

BUT I was already suffering from 2 mental illnesses before I ever had a drunken moment, and it was not the sole determinant of my 8 years of loneliness, stagnation and inability to achieve self-actualization, there were plenty of other contributing factors.

HOWEVER the reason I never experimented with cocaine, dust or crystal meth was because the rappers I grew up listening to, and still listen to, rapped about how destructive crack, dust and meth were. So rather than learn the hard way like I did with alcohol, or like children with alcoholic/drug addled parents learn, it's so much more optimal to learn to avoid certain vices by researching the effects, or by just absorbing information from people you admire like I did with crack, dust and methamphetamines.

Last edited by My Kall; 08-11-2019 at 06:52 PM.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote